Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bug out bag contents ktotte4 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 02-10-2015 02:14 AM
FAK contents for BOB? Eagle Scout Dan Health, Fitness and First Aid 5 01-04-2014 12:02 PM
Contents For MRE? BeauThePrepper Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 12-10-2013 10:25 PM
My GHB Contents and All dustin31522 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 60 09-03-2013 09:00 PM
Bug out bag contents kylesesh Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 11-16-2012 01:15 PM
First Aid Contents in Car kgPrepper007 Health, Fitness and First Aid 3 06-30-2012 05:04 PM
Bug out bag contents? DADDYO Urban Survival 32 11-09-2011 05:18 AM
BOB Contents d-JB Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 08-19-2011 06:59 PM
My BOB contents...thus far. FLsurvivalist Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 12-22-2008 01:10 AM
My Bug-Out Bag Contents lilc Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 03-03-2008 03:22 PM

Old 12-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Prepared

Default First Aid Kit Contents

Advertise Here

i did a search and came up with nothing, so i am going to post a discussion. i am in the early bulding / planning stages of my BOB for when SHTF. and i have come down to planning and preparing my first aid kit. i know all of the obvious items that should be inside of a first aid kit, but if anyone could provide me with detailed list of a good all purpose all around first aid / medical kit i would be very grateful.
even if what you think would be hard to get your hands on items, i have some friends whom are paramedics, so i MAY be able to get some items that would be otherwise hard to come by.
and again thank you, this site has been very comforting and knowledgable.
p.s.
i recently aquired ALOT of reading materials, such as survival guides, emergency medical books, hand books of all sorts, how to guides of all different kinds. if anyone is interested in some of these i can provide you with download links or e-mail them to you. i want to try and give back to all of you whom have spent a great deal of time helping and guiding others.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 09:29 PM

It depends quite a lot on where and how long you're going, how big a group it is, pre-existing medical conditions, what you've had training to use, etc.

Anyway, my basic backpacking kit:
15 band-aids (5 each of small, medium, large)
safety pins
2 pairs of nitrile gloves
15 butterfly strips
3 large wound dressings (you can get the ones with clotting powder if you want, but I don't like them)
A blister kit (BY FAR the most important item in here)
Gauze bandage roll
Tape
Antiseptic bottle or wipes
tweezers
1 or 2 SAM splints (These things are awesome, and I highly recommend them) Amazon.com: SAM Splint 36" Orange &... cover
Amazon.com: SAM Splint 36" Orange &...
As for medications and creams, there are all kinds of things you can consider. The minimum I would suggest having would be:
Aspirin/Tylenol/Ibuprofen
Rehydration powder
Diphenhydramine

Could also add:
Aloe
Decongestant
Antacid
Steroid cream
Antifungal cream
Antibiotics, opioid painkillers, epinephrine, prednisone, albuterol, GTN spray, etc (if you have LEGAL access to them and expect you or someone you're with might need them)
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Bobo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Prepared

that is a great list to work off from, thank you very much. there are quite a few items there i may have overlooked. i am going to compile that list, and any other ideas people may post and create a checklist. like i mentioned previously i am in the early stages of prep. and still need alot of items for my BOB. imo though the first aid kit is one of top priorities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,647 Times in 2,189 Posts

There's been several FAK threads, by EMTs and others that use $10 words for stuff.
Plus there's the big section "Health, Fitness and First Aid":
https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38
The Following User Says Thank You to bltjr1951 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 AM

Instead of preparing a first aid kit from scratch, you can always purchase one preassembled online. You can browse many medical supply stores online and it is easy to choose exactly what you want. Rather than running around to a bunch of different stores, you can literally just order it from your home.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:54 PM

Got these and added a "tick key". No doubt will continue to add other items.

http://http://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_i00_details

http://http://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_i00_details
Old 03-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,847 Times in 430 Posts

Don't forget a maxi pad.

Sounds weird for a guy, but remember that they are designed to absorb blood, they make great trauma dressings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SazTam For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 PM
This is a great survival forum

Definitely throw in some antibiotics. Normal and strong ones. At least with a bottle of those you could put off going to the dentist with a tooth infection for literally months. You don't want to have a toothache while you're out surviving it somehwere.

Last edited by xraygord; 03-05-2012 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,735 Times in 8,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bobo View Post
It depends quite a lot on where and how long you're going, how big a group it is, pre-existing medical conditions, what you've had training to use, etc.

Anyway, my basic backpacking kit:
15 band-aids (5 each of small, medium, large)
safety pins
2 pairs of nitrile gloves
15 butterfly strips
3 large wound dressings (you can get the ones with clotting powder if you want, but I don't like them)
A blister kit (BY FAR the most important item in here)
Gauze bandage roll
Tape
Antiseptic bottle or wipes
tweezers
1 or 2 SAM splints (These things are awesome, and I highly recommend them) Amazon.com: SAM Splint 36" Orange & Blue: Health & Personal Care

As for medications and creams, there are all kinds of things you can consider. The minimum I would suggest having would be:
Aspirin/Tylenol/Ibuprofen
Rehydration powder
Diphenhydramine

Could also add:
Aloe
Decongestant
Antacid
Steroid cream
Antifungal cream
Antibiotics, opioid painkillers, epinephrine, prednisone, albuterol, GTN spray, etc (if you have LEGAL access to them and expect you or someone you're with might need them)
You have a splint but 2 pairs of sterile gloves? This makes no sense.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Thru-Hiker

IMO, the single most useful item is a Triangular bandage. You can tie slings, bandage wounds, tie/wrap splints, bandage a head (or use as a head wrap for sun protection). Pretty much anything you can think of.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:55 AM
I didn't do it

I second the triangle bandage...I didnt go to all of the links but Imodium is a must in my FAK...also I have a tube of superglue, it works just the same as the liquid bandage...it saved me from having to go get stitches once. also maybe a sam splint...depending on the size of your kit