Not how to start a day! - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 12-08-2019, 11:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,426 Times in 2,025 Posts
Default Not how to start a day!

Advertise Here

I work as a Paramedic, in SC. We have a ton of Part-time staff, only 2-3 full time. We operate as “QRV’s” or as “Chase Trucks”. We have a 2018 Explorer, a 2014 explorer and a 2015 Suburban, all driven like we stolen em.
I started mine(Suburban) this AM and heard what sounded like a lifted ticking. No biggie, it happens often.
As the first hour came to a close, I stopped to get chow. I walked past the grill of the truck and the clicking was extremely loud. I got to the station and checked the oil....NOTHING!
I had to go get oil, not cool! I added another 2 qts to get it to show “low” on the dipstick, but it does. As I shut it down, I called the boss to fill him in on the situation, and he was hot.
When I got back and swapped into the spare, it sounded like a bicycle with about 10 playing cards on it was rolling through.
The down side, had to swap QRV’s. The upside the Explorer is amazingly agile compared to the Burb, and has the pursuit package.
It stinks that we are one down, but we may get another WEV out of it!
@tedlovesjeeps71, it sucked!

“you need to move out here. I work much cheaper”, tedlovesjeeps71 ; 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so spelling is probably horrible.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to htfiremedic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 11:36 AM
Live Free or Die

Thanked 11,606 Times in 2,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfiremedic View Post
I work as a Paramedic, in SC. We have a ton of Part-time staff, only 2-3 full time. We operate as “QRV’s” or as “Chase Trucks”. We have a 2018 Explorer, a 2014 explorer and a 2015 Suburban, all driven like we stolen em.
I started mine(Suburban) this AM and heard what sounded like a lifted ticking. No biggie, it happens often.
As the first hour came to a close, I stopped to get chow. I walked past the grill of the truck and the clicking was extremely loud. I got to the station and checked the oil....NOTHING!
I had to go get oil, not cool! I added another 2 qts to get it to show “low” on the dipstick, but it does. As I shut it down, I called the boss to fill him in on the situation, and he was hot.
When I got back and swapped into the spare, it sounded like a bicycle with about 10 playing cards on it was rolling through.
The down side, had to swap QRV’s. The upside the Explorer is amazingly agile compared to the Burb, and has the pursuit package.

Bad news, but at least you didn't get stuck in the middle of nowhere
The Following User Says Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 11:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 39,747 Times in 11,784 Posts

Response vehicles live a hard life and no amount of regular maintenance will cure the effects. One reason I’d never buy a surplus ambulance. Hopefully they hook you up with something new and more reliable.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 11:52 AM
Survivor

I figured you would find the humor in my day, especially knowing what county I’m in. We have had 5 gsw’s in 4 days, 4 of the fatal. Most in or close to the city. 4/5 were Dems.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to htfiremedic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 01:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,398 Times in 3,677 Posts

Just wondering ? why are you not required to check the oil either at the end of your day or the beginning?Didnt the oil light or the pressure gage work? Im not trying to find fault, but checking oil should be SOP. JMO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimbowie1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 09:00 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbowie1 View Post
Just wondering ? why are you not required to check the oil either at the end of your day or the beginning?Didnt the oil light or the pressure gage work? Im not trying to find fault, but checking oil should be SOP. JMO

No oil light was on and the gauge showed 40 lbs. I went to the station to get oil, the shop is closed on weekends. I had to pay for it, may get the $ back, may not! The boss was not mad at me, but the shifts before me will get smacked.
Kind of crazy not to have oil and stuff where we park the QRV...

Old 12-08-2019, 09:07 PM
Survivor

Quote:
The boss was not mad at me, but the shifts before me will get smacked.

About as bad as trying to get soldiers to do a simple PMCS. Glad he won’t put it on you.
The Following User Says Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 09:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,974 Times in 1,707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbowie1 View Post
+1 If I have to spend a few minutes checking tires, battery fluid, lights, reverse beeper, horn, and what not on a hi-lo to use it I would expect you to have to do a very thorough check on an emergency vehicule.

Good to see you're still around though. Been a while since I've seen you post.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 10:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,338 Times in 5,786 Posts

I worked on snow cats for a ski area and we had a dozen cats that needed every bit of care we could give them before 4PM.that includes filling all reservoirs and fuel and checking oil and checking for leaking hydraulic lines and pumps and torque hubs looking for broken welds broken grousers broken bolts, and any unusual anomalies .
The service those cats perform is potential dangerous so we had a lot riding on every thing attached to them. Some ran a half million some cost more.
There were days that it was all we could do to hit the highlights and make sure the drivers knew the score.
The problem too is having several different brands and models to work with and each had their delicate nature , some mechanics were put on specific units while there rest of us did the residue.
Hint if you think your self to be a wiz in electronics and good at tracing circuits that is a job that will pay well and keep you busy year round.
It is not easy in the service industry even working on boats because your working on equipment no one cares about while they are using it. and it al i subject to water and sinking . too much fun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 11:32 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 4,946 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote:

I never ceases to amaze me how awful most people take care of their OWN vehicle. Now double that when it comes to how they treat other people's property.

No matter what, I always check my truck before the shift.

As someone else stated, good thing you found in the station and not on scene or after a breakdown.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 09:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,636 Times in 4,930 Posts

Years ago at work, one of our parts chaser trucks, we had the radiator out to have it fixed. There was a sign on the steering wheel NO RADIATOR, but it fell off and someone took it on a parts run. All of a sudden the truck shuts off, the driver pops the hood and sees no radiator...

Tow it back to the shop... seized from the heat. 2 spark plugs broke taking them out, it was also out of oil. We let it soak with Mystery Oil for a couple of days and it freed up. Ran well but was never the same after that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 10:36 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 5,984 Times in 1,576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlovesjeeps71 View Post
Response vehicles live a hard life and no amount of regular maintenance will cure the effects. One reason I’d never buy a surplus ambulance. Hopefully they hook you up with something new and more reliable.
OR a pool police vehicle...
If you find a PD that issues cars to officers as take home cars, they are usually taken care of fairly well
BUT
Cars from large city PDs.... NEVER. When your name is not on the title you drive them a LOT differently and the abuse they take in just normal operations is amazing, not counting the curbs jumped, the endless hours of idle speed followed by flat on the floor all engine redline coming after those hours of idle. Driving alleys and roads with potholes deep enough to swallow a Volkswagen.
I have been amazed at how tough some of the cars we drove were but I still wouldn't buy one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 11:55 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
OR a pool police vehicle...

If you find a PD that issues cars to officers as take home cars, they are usually taken care of fairly well

BUT

Cars from large city PDs.... NEVER. When your name is not on the title you drive them a LOT differently and the abuse they take in just normal operations is amazing, not counting the curbs jumped, the endless hours of idle speed followed by flat on the floor all engine redline coming after those hours of idle. Driving alleys and roads with potholes deep enough to swallow a Volkswagen.

I have been amazed at how tough some of the cars we drove were but I still wouldn't buy one.

Yup.
Ambulances, cop cars, and taxi cabs are not something I’d ever buy used.
A fire truck, maybe. They seem to take care of the bigger stuff but who really knows.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:14 PM
I give up

Thanked 19,797 Times in 5,149 Posts

Quote:
I figured you would find the humor in my day, especially knowing what county I’m in. We have had 5 gsw’s in 4 days, 4 of the fatal. Most in or close to the city. 4/5 were Dems.

Wow, tell me again where you are so I don't retire there.....
Old 12-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Yup.
A fire truck, maybe. They seem to take care of the bigger stuff but who really knows.

Some places do....Just avoid any that come from place that start with L... in SC

The Following User Says Thank You to htfiremedic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 05:59 PM
Live Free or Die

Thanked 11,606 Times in 2,735 Posts

Quote:
Yup.
That depends on the municipality. I worked for 2 cities as a fleet maintenance tech. We treated our emergency vehicles like gold. Our Crown Vics got over 500k miles. Same with the taxi fleet I worked for, one of the largest taxi fleets in the country. 500k on the Vics/Grand Marquis/town cars and on the vans with the 7.3 turbo. For the ambulances, we had mainly Freightliners, and got a lot of use out of them. They would usually age out before they would die. I would love to find an ambulance either American La France or Wheeled Coach MAV or Ford Truck based with the 7.3.
The Following User Says Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 06:01 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumhug View Post
I never ceases to amaze me how awful most people take care of their OWN vehicle. Now double that when it comes to how they treat other people's property.

No matter what, I always check my truck before the shift.

As someone else stated, good thing you found in the station and not on scene or after a breakdown.

I am waiting to see how much damage they find. They took it OOS, but said it may be back soon.
The big thing, Chevrolet Vortec Engines seem to drink oil, at least a quart per 6k miles. I check them when I start the shift, usually at the fuel station because we don’t have supplies at dispatch. How long has it been low for the oil to not even show at all?
It is frustrating to me, especially knowing that it’s a five minute check!

Old 12-09-2019, 06:07 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
That depends on the municipality. I worked for 2 cities as a fleet maintenance tech. We treated our emergency vehicles like gold. Our Crown Vics got over 500k miles. Same with the taxi fleet I worked for, one of the largest taxi fleets in the country. 500k on the Vics/Grand Marquis/town cars and on the vans with the 7.3 turbo. For the ambulances, we had mainly Freightliners, and got a lot of use out of them. They would usually age out before they would die. I would love to find an ambulance either American La France or Wheeled Coach MAV or Ford Truck based with the 7.3.

I know there is one for sale in Greenwood. Riverside has a couple of 7.3’s deadlined. One has a crate motor in it, they said it was idling rough so it was taken offline for sale. He would probably take $12-1500 for it. Just my guess anyway. The box looks to be in reasonable shape, the body too, but it does idle rough.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:26 PM
Survivor

Just an update. Dropped a lifter, not too bad anyway.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:34 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Just an update. Dropped a lifter, not too bad anyway.

Have em re-Cam it and swap the intake and it’ll be scary fast.