VA pension. - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 11-29-2019, 11:44 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,663 Times in 3,847 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Yes, but the VA has to approve each treatment.

Putting you right in the system again.

Here's how it's gone for the last few months:

Go see the head of the hospital..... BSBSBSBSBS....
"Ok, we dood it."

Wait, wait, wait.... Wait some more.
(While being proactive)

Get approval through system.

Paperwork gets to community care provider:
Wrong authorization.

(Repeat above)
THIS time:
Wrong community care provider.
Ok, no problem says this guy, he can refer me over.
(A month later.... This week)

By happenstance I find out that the correct authorization was sent to a THIRD community care facility. (Only because I go there for the ciropractor) AND I have an appointment for tuesday.

No one told the patient.

Thing is.... They do not have a critical piece of technology that is needed for my treatment.

And the VA (right people at the VA) aren't answering their phones.

I'm going to go to the appointment (first of several) and then try to go get it fixed.

It'll probably result in restarting all of the above.... AGAIN.

The above are the last 4 months of my life, not a fictitious example.
I understand and sympathize but it hasn't been my experience with the system. Though I will have to see how well things work now that I am in AZ.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2019, 11:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 61,313 Times in 19,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
I understand and sympathize but it hasn't been my experience with the system. Though I will have to see how well things work now that I am in AZ.
We both know: "If you've been to one VA, you've been to one VA."

my point is that it does absolutely nothing to help the veteran with the Bad VA's.

They are still involved administratively, and that's mainly where the veteran gets screwed. The actual medical staff is usually at least adequate.

but theres so many unnecessary and incompetent paper pushers...
Old 11-29-2019, 01:13 PM

I flew for over 30 years and over 7000 hours, and I can't even get my 10% for tinnitus, such BS!
Old 11-30-2019, 06:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
You are NOT in the loop for payments under the Veterans Choice program. Doctor just has to keep going after the VA if payment is delayed.
Not being in the loop actually makes it worse. Ultimately it is you who are responsible for your medical bills. If the VA screws it up then the non-payment goes to you. You get to pay and go after the VA for repayment. If you refuse because the VA is supposed to pay, it goes on your credit and to a collection agency.

At several military bases (granted the military is not the VA) they reduced the base hospital to merely a cliic. Any ER lists are handled by the local hospital. Any in depth complex treatment is handled by the local hospital. For an ER visit the process was simple go to the ER and get treatment. The hospital submits the bill to the base. For routine appointments go to the clinic get referred to the hospital the go to the hospital. I used to do background investigations. Many military members had charge-offs on the credit report due to the base not paying their medical bills. The people normally would have the letters and e-mails back and forth saying the base would pay, but they didn't.

With the VA and compensation claims it is written in law that the veteran is supposed to receive the benefit of the doubt in all situations. The actual standard is the veteran has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the medical condition was caused by military service. I am currently fighting this battle. I have a chronic condition that the VA agreed to provide compensation if symptoms appeared within 7 years after discharge. Like most people with my condition it came and went away several times during that 7 year window, so no complaints were made about it. Fast forward 7 more year and I have lost feeling in several body parts, have trouble walking and will probably need assistance in another 10-15 years due to the disease. No medical proof no disability and no benefit of the doubt.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:52 PM
Semper Fi

Whenever I was given a Veterans Choice appointment I never signed anything that said I was responsible for any costs not paid by the VA. Absent that signature the provider can't go after you.

I would also venture that many of the write offs were due to two things.

First, when the dependent is told to seek treatment in town they are dealing with Champus, which does NOT cover all the cost of treatment. It is only when the military transfers them from a DoD facility to a civilian hospital that all costs are borne by DoD. So the military member thinking it was all free (or simply couldn't afford it) didn't pay their share of the Champus bill and the hospital wrote it off. Though I have a hard time believing that once the command was notified of the debt that things weren't corrected.

Second, the civilian hospital wanted to make it seem like they took a loss on the treatment. They took the military's payment against their inflated bill and then simply wrote the rest off as a tax move. Which of course makes it seem the service member didn't pay their bill.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:42 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Whenever I was given a Veterans Choice appointment I never signed anything that said I was responsible for any costs not paid by the VA. Absent that signature the provider can't go after you.

I would also venture that many of the write offs were due to two things.

First, when the dependent is told to seek treatment in town they are dealing with Champus, which does NOT cover all the cost of treatment. It is only when the military transfers them from a DoD facility to a civilian hospital that all costs are borne by DoD. So the military member thinking it was all free (or simply couldn't afford it) didn't pay their share of the Champus bill and the hospital wrote it off. Though I have a hard time believing that once the command was notified of the debt that things weren't corrected.

Second, the civilian hospital wanted to make it seem like they took a loss on the treatment. They took the military's payment against their inflated bill and then simply wrote the rest off as a tax move. Which of course makes it seem the service member didn't pay their bill.

To your first paragraph I hope you don't have to bet your house on not having to pay if the military or VA screws it up. I never signed anything saying I owed the hospital when I was in the military and sought treatment at a civilian hospital and it would have been around the same time period as the people I talked with. I didn't ask the people I talked with whether they signed anything or not.

Most of the people I had to talk to were military members seeking care for themselves. There were a couple civilians, but mostly it was the member. It's one thing to make it "seem" like someone didn't pay their bill and a completely other thing to send the bill to a collection agency and the person's credit report. I guess you missed the part about there being evidence that the military was supposed to pay the bills, but didn't.

Another guy I worked with was assigned overseas with a non-DOD government agency and needed extensive medical treatment for his daughter. The way the heath care worked for him was if he or anybody in his family were admitted to a hospital overnight the State Department paid all medical bills. He stills owes his credit cards over $40k for his daughter's treatment. He also has lawyers fees on top of it for the lawsuit against the State Department for breach of contract.

I'm not saying it happens frequently, just that it does happen often enough to be a concern and it is something that can be a pain in the arse to get fixed. I trust the government about none to do the right thing.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:52 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,308 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
There is a Veterans Pension available to any vet that served during a war time period and meets the time in service, discharge category and income level. You have to be over age 65 or disabled to qualify. You can look it up on the VA web sight. It is a amount that gets reduced by income. Example would be the amount might be $13,000/year. If you have a income of $10,000 the VA pension would be $3000 paid in monthly payments of $250.

Thus a War-Time Vet with in-country service as a Ground pounder Infantry. I would owe money on that above statement. Alas, I would never see a penny as they count the Household money and my wife alone makes almost 10 times that amount.
To another poster about the Hearing Aids being Service Related. If you were in any battles IE Viet Nam (Your Base Camp being overrun) and fought for hours they consider the hearing aids a Service-Related issue.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Closed for the Season.

Thanked 30,686 Times in 10,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAde2 View Post
Thus a War-Time Vet with in-country service as a Ground pounder Infantry. I would owe money on that above statement. Alas, I would never see a penny as they count the Household money and my wife alone makes almost 10 times that amount.
They probably wont send you a bill. The veterans pension benefit is bit of a odd ball program for those veterans that are low income disabled or over 65. Not military retirement and not connected to Veterans disability due to service related injury. I never even knew it existed until a couple of years ago when I was researching Veterans benefits because of a Thread on this Forum.

However, if your wife tosses you out and takes you to the cleaners money wise, it might be good to know that there is a pension you can get to live on.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:37 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by me View Post
To your first paragraph I hope you don't have to bet your house on not having to pay if the military or VA screws it up. I never signed anything saying I owed the hospital when I was in the military and sought treatment at a civilian hospital and it would have been around the same time period as the people I talked with. I didn't ask the people I talked with whether they signed anything or not.

Most of the people I had to talk to were military members seeking care for themselves. There were a couple civilians, but mostly it was the member. It's one thing to make it "seem" like someone didn't pay their bill and a completely other thing to send the bill to a collection agency and the person's credit report. I guess you missed the part about there being evidence that the military was supposed to pay the bills, but didn't.

Another guy I worked with was assigned overseas with a non-DOD government agency and needed extensive medical treatment for his daughter. The way the heath care worked for him was if he or anybody in his family were admitted to a hospital overnight the State Department paid all medical bills. He stills owes his credit cards over $40k for his daughter's treatment. He also has lawyers fees on top of it for the lawsuit against the State Department for breach of contract.

I'm not saying it happens frequently, just that it does happen often enough to be a concern and it is something that can be a pain in the arse to get fixed. I trust the government about none to do the right thing.
Again unless it was the military that transferred the service member out to a civilian hospital, they are then under Champus which doesn't pay all the costs of treatment. Only 80% iirc. Absent a bonafide emergency, a service member can't simply walk into a civilian hospital and expect the .gov to pay the bill.

And if the military didn't pay the bill for something they should have that service member's chain of command SCREWED UP ROYALLY. The Base legal affairs should have been involved as well. And finally a call to their Congress critter would have been in order.

Non-DoD guy has no bearing on your position, as that was a civilian contract issue and didn't even involve DoD.

As to signing, I would venture you did, as one of the multitude of boilerplate forms you are presented with when being admitted to a civilian hospital or doctors office is the "agreement to pay". Which is what puts YOU on the hook if insurance (or the government in this case) doesn't pay.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:02 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Again unless it was the military that transferred the service member out to a civilian hospital, they are then under Champus which doesn't pay all the costs of treatment. Only 80% iirc. Absent a bonafide emergency, a service member can't simply walk into a civilian hospital and expect the .gov to pay the bill.
At the time yes they were under CHAMPUS. The only reason I know that is that's what the nurses kept saying when I was being looked at. However at the time the military members did not pay anything for treatment, the military pick up anything CHAMPUS didn't. This was because at the time the military clinics did not have the capacity to provide treatment. There was no co-pay for the service member to pay. THE ENTIRE BILL WAS TO BE PAID FOR BY THE GOVERNMENT. This was detailed in the letters and e-mails these people provided between them and base personnel.

Quote:
And if the military didn't pay the bill for something they should have that service member's chain of command SCREWED UP ROYALLY.
YES this is my point.

Quote:
Non-DoD guy has no bearing on your position, as that was a civilian contract issue and didn't even involve DoD.
The Department of Veteran Affairs isn't the Department of Defense either. The point is the government screws things up, often.

Quote:
As to signing, I would venture you did, as one of the multitude of boilerplate forms you are presented with when being admitted to a civilian hospital or doctors office is the "agreement to pay". Which is what puts YOU on the hook if insurance (or the government in this case) doesn't pay.
No I didn't. At the time the military was in the mindset of saving as much money as they could this was accomplished in one area by a huge downsizing of their hospitals. One of the areas that was downsized in many hospitals was the emergency rooms. They are expensive to staff 24/7, so they had me and the members I interviewed go to civilian hospitals and the military was supposed to pick up the entire bill. All of the issues came from ER visits where no pre-authorization was required.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:36 AM
VIP Member

The VA hospital in Northport LI still has its ER opening and working. I know I had to use it a couple months ago. The people working there seem to be Up to Par with other ER in the civilian world.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 61,313 Times in 19,789 Posts

Here's what I was talking about:

First week of October a community care doctor put in for a treatment for me.

I've made friends with the patient advocates, mainly through home baked goodies.

I got them to check (since my "medical team" I was assigned to in June (old doctor left) has NEVER returned any of my calls.... Not a single one.)

And the procedure has been approved (took 2 months)

I was advised that it will take an additional 12 weeks for the VA to slap a reference number on the approval and forward it to the community care health care provider for scheduling!!!
Old 12-03-2019, 10:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 39,707 Times in 11,775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Here's what I was talking about:

First week of October a community care doctor put in for a treatment for me.

I've made friends with the patient advocates, mainly through home baked goodies.

I got them to check (since my "medical team" I was assigned to in June (old doctor left) has NEVER returned any of my calls.... Not a single one.)

And the procedure has been approved (took 2 months)

I was advised that it will take an additional 12 weeks for the VA to slap a reference number on the approval and forward it to the community care health care provider for scheduling!!!

They may not be competent but at least they donít rush....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 08:09 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 33,252 Times in 8,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by me View Post
VA health care isn't that good. If you can afford to go to a private doctor you'd generally be better off. With that said, I was trying to get a disability service connected because there is a huge VA research center near my house. The disease isn't completely understood and hasn't been cured. I pay doctor co-pays (which aren't much) and medicine co-pays, which can be quite expensive. The VA would cover all of that. Without the service connection the co-pays for the VA were higher than what I am paying now.
Totally false, and I'm speaking from direct experience. And thru many of my clients who get great FREE healthcare.

I personally have significant VA healthcare experience, including a surgery that required an admission, and it was expensive but free, and fantastic and successful.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 10:31 PM
VIP Member

As I was telling someone today. Thanks to ACA or Obama Care I was forced into going to the VA. At 65 and the company has less than 20 FT employees you're forbidden in buying Company insurance. So I now had to go find outside insurance for my 12-year-old son and my self as getting from Wife Company wasn't financially acceptable.

I have been more than Happy with the VA and their attention to my Health needs better than I was getting in the Civilian doctors.
I am more than happy to pay my $50 dollar Co-Pay due to my Income and I am not a Service Related Injury.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:33 PM
VIP Member

^^^^ That was 4 years ago and I am still Happy with the Health Care at Northport VA on Lone Island
Old 12-06-2019, 05:50 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Totally false, and I'm speaking from direct experience. And thru many of my clients who get great FREE healthcare.

I personally have significant VA healthcare experience, including a surgery that required an admission, and it was expensive but free, and fantastic and successful.
As we have already settled it is location dependent. I have received treat there and will never go back. I have friends and family who have received treatment there and some can't go anywhere else because they can't afford to go anywhere else. The ones who could afford to go someplace else won't go back to the VA. They would prefer another doctor, but can't. The ones who could afford to go someplace else won't go back to the VA. I have friends and family who have worked in VA medical centers providing care and have horror stories for weeks about the incompetence and poor quality care at several locations. I have read many local news stories where vets have died just outside the VA hospitals after being released minutes earlier.
The Following User Says Thank You to me For This Useful Post: