What was your "Prep" for today? - Page 1846 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Link to the "Surviving Disaster" Series - Great to watch for emergency prep. ideas! survive Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 08-26-2019 04:51 AM
Non "Rambo" Prep Helmet Nate74 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 71 07-15-2019 08:29 AM
Finally... a sane answer to "Why do we prep?" SurvivorGirlAL Jokes, Humor & Music 16 06-12-2019 07:58 PM
The Media asks " Why Prep" Northern Raider British Isles and ROI 33 12-07-2017 08:20 AM
Food Prices "will double by 2030" - Oxfam. Time to prep with a home garden? Jubbles Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 130 03-12-2017 02:12 PM
National Geographic has "I Escaped A Cult" in between "Doomsday Preppers" today. Libertarianism 4 All General Discussion 17 03-05-2017 10:08 AM
Article shows how most "sheeple" prep. potatoheadman Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 52 11-05-2016 10:38 PM
An "Emergency Prep Poster" in Japan landline000 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 07-25-2016 01:17 AM
Neighbor "found" me online, knows I prep now... AARGH! joyfulheart Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 126 09-02-2014 11:49 PM

Old 12-21-2018, 12:38 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 24,022 Times in 7,241 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay View Post
Good luck with your search. She looks like a keeper, to me.
Thanks for the astute advice. Will do....
Old 12-21-2018, 04:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,339 Times in 9,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
The new house we built last year is rural, no neighbors for about a mile. Late night a couple days ago in cold weather snow/sleet conditions our covered lower deck motion sensor security lights kept going on & my elderly male dog "Sarge" kept barking.

Went to check why.

Found a wet/cold slightly skinny forlorn looking uncollared female great Dane around 2 or 3 years old sheltering out of the rain/sleet on the deck.

Kept Sarge inside, took a large bowl of kibble out to her, which she wolfed right down, also took out a couple large thick outdoor lawn chair cushions, covered them with an old blanket, as dry warm bedding for her.

Next morning, she was still there, tail wagging when I came out to check on her. Introduced Sarge to her, no animosity, just a lot of sniffing each other.

Let her inside, she is somewhat trained, understands/obeys a few basic commands, is intelligent & house-broken (goes to a door & softly whines or barks - to indicate she needs outside.

Took her to our Vet, for a check-up & scan to see if she was "chipped" (she is not chipped, somewhat skinny & healthy).

Trying to find/locate owner - so far no luck. I would hate to take here to the pound.

She is a really BIG dog, fits in, is sweet & wife likes her.

Not sure what to do next? Other than post multiple "found dog" flyers in the area, with her picture & our address/phone#

You are a good man.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 09:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,426 Times in 2,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlovesjeeps71 View Post
Your PM inbox is full.

Cleared

“you need to move out here. I work much cheaper”, tedlovesjeeps71 ; 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so spelling is probably horrible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to htfiremedic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 10:27 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 7,445 Times in 3,005 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
The new house we built last year is rural, no neighbors for about a mile. Late night a couple days ago in cold weather snow/sleet conditions our covered lower deck motion sensor security lights kept going on & my elderly male dog "Sarge" kept barking.

Went to check why.

Found a wet/cold slightly skinny forlorn looking uncollared female great Dane around 2 or 3 years old sheltering out of the rain/sleet on the deck.

Kept Sarge inside, took a large bowl of kibble out to her, which she wolfed right down, also took out a couple large thick outdoor lawn chair cushions, covered them with an old blanket, as dry warm bedding for her.

Next morning, she was still there, tail wagging when I came out to check on her. Introduced Sarge to her, no animosity, just a lot of sniffing each other.

Let her inside, she is somewhat trained, understands/obeys a few basic commands, is intelligent & house-broken (goes to a door & softly whines or barks - to indicate she needs outside.

Took her to our Vet, for a check-up & scan to see if she was "chipped" (she is not chipped, somewhat skinny & healthy).

Trying to find/locate owner - so far no luck. I would hate to take here to the pound.

She is a really BIG dog, fits in, is sweet & wife likes her.

Not sure what to do next? Other than post multiple "found dog" flyers in the area, with her picture & our address/phone#

With no collar, odds are pretty good that she may have been "dumped." Used to see it a LOT in my Animal Control days. People who no longer wanted their pets for whatever reason (moving, dog got "too big", too expensive to feed, behavior issues, whatever; and didn't want to pay to take it to the pound) would drive out to a rural area, slow down (Many didn't even have the decency to stop) and shove the animal out a door or WINDOW, then take off, leaving the poor animal behind. (That's how I ended up with my Malinois...she was dumped as a pup.) Given her size, it might be what happened to your girl. She's a very nice-looking dog, though, and if your wife likes her, you might have just added a new dog to your family!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 10:28 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Picked up 200 lbs of grain (100 lbs of oats, and 50 each of wheat and milo) yesterday, and ordered in another 8 bales of alfalfa for the horses (and they actually delivered it within about 15 minutes of me getting home!) Also got a new stock pot...42 quart, with a large basket that fits in, so I can cook down poultry carcasses WITHOUT having to pick through the broth to remove the bones.

Started re-building the emergency "cash stash" in the lockbox in the car ($400...$300 in 20's, and the rest in 10s, 5s, and 1s) and the stash in the safe ($300 so far, and building up)

Today, removed 3 contractor-sized wheelbarrow loads of manure from the corral to the "future fertilizer" pile, put one of the bags of oats from yesterday's purchase into the oat barrel for the horses, and mixed the remaining grains (along with 10 lbs of sunflower seeds) for the cow and goat doe. Also had to cut off one horn from the buck, since he had half broken it, and it had healed to where it was growing in front of his eye and was pressing in just below it.

Also did a commissary run...got 3 boxes of cereal FREE with a coupon they had, and scored some major deals on the reduced-price meat in the freezer--two multi-packs of boneless pork chops (About 8 chops in each package, and the packages were $1.39 and $1.77) 80% lean ground beef for $1.23/lb (4 packages), 3 packages of bottom round roast for around $2.40 each, instead of over $5.00, 3 packages of beef marrow soup bones (funny thing, is they were a bit more than the roasts!) and an Eye of round roast for $5 instead of over $8. Took 1 package of the soup bones and roasted them, then boiled the roasted bones to make a quart of beef stock. Once the bones are cooled, I'll cut off the bits of meat to make soup, and give the bones and remaining fat to the dogs. Tomorrow I'll cut up one of the bottom round roasts and roast it with onions and carrots then work on making a pot of beef soup.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 10:44 PM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 16,168 Times in 3,976 Posts

3 days without power I am getting more proficient managing my generator loads .
New power pole is erected and lines back up which is pretty darn heroic of the lines crews who are working around the clock but alas power is not functioning well . So I have more learning curve ahead .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 11:12 AM
VIP Member

Having around 20 / 25 for Christmas dinner.
Baking pies, making potato salad today.
Getting everything in order to starting cooking meat BIG TIME, very early tomorrow morning.
2 turkeys, 2 hams, 2 brisquit, 6 racks of pork ribs & all the fixings.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 39,747 Times in 11,784 Posts

Quote:
Having around 20 / 25 for Christmas dinner.
Baking pies, making potato salad today.
Getting everything in order to starting cooking meat BIG TIME, very early tomorrow morning.
2 turkeys, 2 hams, 2 brisquit, 6 racks of pork ribs & all the fixings.

MEAT!?!
I'll be there shortly! Haha! Merry Christmas sir!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 12:10 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,419 Times in 26,306 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Made a payment on the 10 day cruise to Alaska this May for the Mrs. and I to relax and enjoy life, reduce stress.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 12:24 PM
A marathon not a sprint

I hope you all have a safe and bountiful Christmas. I might just get power before then .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 12:36 PM

For me, it was a last minute run to the grocery store for both a couple holiday things and more everyday items we run out of with extra people staying here. Other than that, it's more work on the never ending crochet projects.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hs_hopeful For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 06:24 PM

This morning I bought some more 6-gal water jugs for storage and some motion detectors for security purposes. Then looked in the Christmas aisle for half-price colored lights, but they were out. So there you go … Merry Christmas to all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prairie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 06:25 PM
A marathon not a sprint

Well, maybe I was a little a naughty this year, under that angelic exterior there is a wee bit of naughtiness , because nope, my power won't be sorted out for Christmas . Still I am not in bad spirits nor suffering any , I am well stocked up . The neat thing is I saw a neighbours metal framed car shelter fly over our power line and motorhome without a scratch in the last storm , into another neighbours yard and got all mangled up and they are giving it to me so I will have more pipe to build a greenhouse with I already had the fence posts spaced to make a gate there so I just opened it up to get access to it in the bush . So I am rather stoked Merry Christmas !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 09:41 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,237 Times in 398 Posts

Presents for the (grown-up) kids with a prepper focus: Sawyer filters.

Presents for the wife: raised vegetable garden, seeds, and irrigation connection.

Presents for me, 2000 of them: 9mm in ammo cans.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Madoc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 10:47 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Picked up another 200 lbs of poultry feed (50 for the turkeys, the other 150 for the chickens.

Finished the greenhouse door today, so other than some "finishing touches", it is DONE! After that, worked on getting the shelves re-organized, and getting plant starters set up and ready to go.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 11:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,574 Times in 1,638 Posts

I!ve been working a lot of all nighters lately so my sleep schedule is whacked.
About 3am I packed up 50lbs of medium white popcorn. 30lbs in mylar with O2 absorbers in a bucket. The rest in quart and half gallon jars, but for short term use. I still put O2 absorbers in the jars just because I had them.
Also bagged up 25lbs of Gluten-Free flour for my wife in mylar with O2's. Four 5lbers went two each into small buckets. 2 gallon, I think. I haven't bickered flour before so it will be interesting to see how this stores.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 11:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,574 Times in 1,638 Posts

An interesting note is that the O2 absorbers were from 2015. They'd been resealed and the indicator was still pink but I had doubts.
All seem to work fine, which is good to know since I still have a good number left.
One resealed bag I'm not sure about. The indicator is pink but the bag never tightened back up after resealing it. I'll need to experiment with those before I try to use them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2018, 01:53 PM
A marathon not a sprint

Applied a credit I got buying Christmas presents on sale Black Friday and I have 5% off for being a life member of Altitude Sports store , to the sale price 45% off boxing day sale which started today Christmas . To get a merino wool tshirt regular $87 and merino socks, for $20 total with free shipping to my door . I find lots of merino light sweaters at thrift shops but never these tshirts which are so comfortable .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2018, 05:58 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Since the weather did NOT cooperate with my plans to work on the 3-bin composter today (up on a ladder trying to screw in 2x4s with gale-force winds blowing was just NOT going to happen!) decided to start planting some of my herbs that prefer cooler temps to germinate. Although it was cold and blustery OUTside the greenhouse, it was quite pleasant INside.

Cut up celery and carrots (both for eating and for tossing into the pot along with the onions, garlic, and chunk of bottom round to first roast, and then boil down to make into soup) as well as parsley (also for soup), then put a small smoked ham into the oven to cook for dinner.

Also started going through my seed catalogs, to start getting my orders ready.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 02:15 PM
VIP Member