What was your "Prep" for today? - Page 1845 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Link to the "Surviving Disaster" Series - Great to watch for emergency prep. ideas! survive Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 08-26-2019 04:51 AM
Non "Rambo" Prep Helmet Nate74 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 71 07-15-2019 08:29 AM
Finally... a sane answer to "Why do we prep?" SurvivorGirlAL Jokes, Humor & Music 16 06-12-2019 07:58 PM
The Media asks " Why Prep" Northern Raider British Isles and ROI 33 12-07-2017 08:20 AM
Food Prices "will double by 2030" - Oxfam. Time to prep with a home garden? Jubbles Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 130 03-12-2017 02:12 PM
National Geographic has "I Escaped A Cult" in between "Doomsday Preppers" today. Libertarianism 4 All General Discussion 17 03-05-2017 10:08 AM
Article shows how most "sheeple" prep. potatoheadman Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 52 11-05-2016 10:38 PM
An "Emergency Prep Poster" in Japan landline000 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 07-25-2016 01:17 AM
Neighbor "found" me online, knows I prep now... AARGH! joyfulheart Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 126 09-02-2014 11:49 PM

Old 12-19-2018, 04:34 PM

Advertise Here

Nothing major, as I just got back from a whirlwind trip out of town. I did manage to find the last Christmas gift I needed to purchase, at probably less than a tenth of what it would have retailed for when new, fifteen or twenty years ago. Not only is this piece discontinued, but items currently made in this pattern of what was once glass with a 24% lead crystal content are now entirely glass.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to hs_hopeful For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2018, 11:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,426 Times in 2,025 Posts

Ruger LCP .380, 2 holsters and 4 mags for $110

“you need to move out here. I work much cheaper”, tedlovesjeeps71 ; 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so spelling is probably horrible.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to htfiremedic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 01:34 AM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 16,168 Times in 3,976 Posts

Outdoor equipment shelving project complete and secured well, using all stuff I had on hand so no extra costs . Very nicely organized for next time we need chainsaws or weed eating or brush cutting everything is handy from safety equipment to fluids and sharpening and parts and specialty tools . And I gained back floor space in my garage. And though it is not a Christmas present , I wanted to complete it for my dad to see, so he is assured I am capable of handling life just fine. I do the girley things too, had guests for lunch and made my cranberry sauce and chutney , customized some wreaths , tomorrow is cookie baking , however I happen to really like being raised a tom boy
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 05:53 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 24,022 Times in 7,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper View Post
I happen to really like being raised a tom boy
I raised my daughters & granddaughters to be TOM BOYS. Darn glad I did, as they handle themselves WELL.
Also, taught them how to fight, quick/dirty.Which saved one from being raped.

One of my granddaughters, is the best shot with my BMG 50, in our whole BOL group.....
Old 12-20-2018, 06:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 39,747 Times in 11,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfiremedic View Post
Ruger LCP .380, 2 holsters and 4 mags for $110

The Following User Says Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 10:11 AM
VIP Member

Two (2) for $100. Going to our BOL. Sons wife want one for their big cabin.
The other may end up as a stock water tank, hay feed trough or planter.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:00 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 13,246 Times in 3,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post

Thought you might be doing your own version of the Cialls advertisement...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9mmMike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 11:45 AM
Survivor

Was talking to "Chief" and asked about this odd container building in the back of the motor pool that looks beat down. Doors ripped off, never moved or used. Turns out it's a mobile TOC (command post) and it is supposed to be thrown out but nobody wants to try. It's big, heavy, and on nobody's property books.

Would be an interesting score.

It’s insulated and has three pull outs and an AC unit. Probably weights a massive amount.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 12:13 PM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 16,168 Times in 3,976 Posts

Quote:

I have one outside I have not put in place here yet but was thinking it would be nice to have water that is fire heated for an outdoor bath set up that you could rake coals under the tub to keep warmer? I haven't given it a lot of thought how to set it up to function best as it is down the list of things to put in place and I am sometimes dreaming that if I had the means , it might become more ambitious project with a banked root cellar , exterior spring house and an out door patio with that bath set up deep down in our forested ravine that the brook runs through and also housing some small microhydro capability . Of course I would want it to look beautiful and yet be able to camouflage it so no one would even see it first glance . Pretty darn ambitious for a woman whose project today is just eyebolts to keep stall doors from flying shut in the wind when the animals are out if I want them held open and baking cookies .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 12:38 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 26,060 Times in 9,368 Posts

Might be marketable if you can haul it off cheap enough. Look for the data plate, there will be some manual # to look up which should give you the weight as made - not including "mods". Back in my duty time it would be magnesium at least on the skin.

I'd look it over real careful before I took it. When I was hazardous waste permit officer, the local AFB would put bad stuff in like desk drawers and sell it "DRO" instead of disposing of things properly.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 01:18 PM
Target Shooter

Headed down to the BOL to bring back formula I had stored there and replace it with long term instant milk as my kid is about to transition from formula to milk at 1 year.

Also going to do some shooting for the purpose of testing out a new potential EDC pistol with the self defense load I prefer and I know runs great in my current pistol. Its painful at a little over a $1 a round to do but I think in the end knowing it runs well is worth the $50-100 if it saves my life.

Short rant here but it amazes me how many people don't test their carry ammo in their carry gun and it REALLY amazes me the number of people I have met that bought a gun and put it on their hip and have been carrying it for months or years without literally ever firing it even one time. The thing could be missing a firing pin for all they know.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoodPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 01:51 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
Might be marketable if you can haul it off cheap enough. Look for the data plate, there will be some manual # to look up which should give you the weight as made - not including "mods". Back in my duty time it would be magnesium at least on the skin.

I'd look it over real careful before I took it. When I was hazardous waste permit officer, the local AFB would put bad stuff in like desk drawers and sell it "DRO" instead of disposing of things properly.

Only way I can think to move it is roll back tow truck. Don’t want to pay for that to be done twice if we find a house soon so I’ll let it sit a while more before deciding. It hasn’t moved in 10+ years.
It’s basically empty except for the slide outs, the ac unit, and a couple mounted chairs. And an empty (I looked) horizontal file cabinet.
Both lockable doors are present but laying on the ground. I’ll look at it more as I get time.
I did, however, get “gifted” a safe that is too heavy to throw into the dumpster. At least nobody wants to try.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 02:13 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,304 Times in 3,829 Posts

Figured i'd more emergency lighting to preps, bought 96 of these 15 hours liquid parafin oil lamps..i have the small 8hr tea light versions (wife loves em) and the larger 100hr type as well.

these are pretty nice, good value for dollars, easy to store too...

D'light Online HD15 Votive Fuel Cells 15 Hour Disposable Liquid Disposable In Clear Plastic Fuel Cells Liquid Paraffin In Easy To Open Packaging- Set of 96

Excellent replacement for Wax Votive Candles
Burns for 15 hours very cost effective
Dimensions are 1.25 inches in high and with a 1.75 Diameter
96 Votives per case
Smokeless and odorless liquid paraffin

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 02:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,426 Times in 2,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlovesjeeps71 View Post
Only way I can think to move it is roll back tow truck. Don’t want to pay for that to be done twice if we find a house soon so I’ll let it sit a while more before deciding. It hasn’t moved in 10+ years.
It’s basically empty except for the slide outs, the ac unit, and a couple mounted chairs. And an empty (I looked) horizontal file cabinet.
Both lockable doors are present but laying on the ground. I’ll look at it more as I get time.
I did, however, get “gifted” a safe that is too heavy to throw into the dumpster. At least nobody wants to try.

The Following User Says Thank You to htfiremedic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 09:21 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfiremedic View Post

Your PM inbox is full.
The Following User Says Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 11:17 AM
VIP Member

The new house we built last year is rural, no neighbors for about a mile. Late night a couple days ago in cold weather snow/sleet conditions our covered lower deck motion sensor security lights kept going on & my elderly male dog "Sarge" kept barking.

Went to check why.

Found a wet/cold slightly skinny forlorn looking uncollared female great Dane around 2 or 3 years old sheltering out of the rain/sleet on the deck.

Kept Sarge inside, took a large bowl of kibble out to her, which she wolfed right down, also took out a couple large thick outdoor lawn chair cushions, covered them with an old blanket, as dry warm bedding for her.

Next morning, she was still there, tail wagging when I came out to check on her. Introduced Sarge to her, no animosity, just a lot of sniffing each other.

Let her inside, she is somewhat trained, understands/obeys a few basic commands, is intelligent & house-broken (goes to a door & softly whines or barks - to indicate she needs outside.

Took her to our Vet, for a check-up & scan to see if she was "chipped" (she is not chipped, somewhat skinny & healthy).

Trying to find/locate owner - so far no luck. I would hate to take here to the pound.

She is a really BIG dog, fits in, is sweet & wife likes her.

Not sure what to do next? Other than post multiple "found dog" flyers in the area, with her picture & our address/phone#

Old 12-21-2018, 11:30 AM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 13,166 Times in 5,755 Posts

You might want to give Great Dane rescue a call. Look on line for the one in your state.
Sometimes rescue is contacted when a dog is lost.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 11:34 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseman View Post
You might want to give Great Dane rescue a call. Look on line for the one in your state.
Sometimes rescue is contacted when a dog is lost.
Good suggestion - will do.....
Old 12-21-2018, 12:00 PM
VIP Member

Last minute Christmas gifts for the dogs.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,999 Times in 1,773 Posts

Quote:
The new house we built last year is rural, no neighbors for about a mile. Late night a couple days ago in cold weather snow/sleet conditions our covered lower deck motion sensor security lights kept going on & my elderly male dog "Sarge" kept barking.

Went to check why.

Found a wet/cold slightly skinny forlorn looking uncollared female great Dane around 2 or 3 years old sheltering out of the rain/sleet on the deck.

Kept Sarge inside, took a large bowl of kibble out to her, which she wolfed right down, also took out a couple large thick outdoor lawn chair cushions, covered them with an old blanket, as dry warm bedding for her.

Next morning, she was still there, tail wagging when I came out to check on her. Introduced Sarge to her, no animosity, just a lot of sniffing each other.

Let her inside, she is somewhat trained, understands/obeys a few basic commands, is intelligent & house-broken (goes to a door & softly whines or barks - to indicate she needs outside.

Took her to our Vet, for a check-up & scan to see if she was "chipped" (she is not chipped, somewhat skinny & healthy).

Trying to find/locate owner - so far no luck. I would hate to take here to the pound.

She is a really BIG dog, fits in, is sweet & wife likes her.

Not sure what to do next? Other than post multiple "found dog" flyers in the area, with her picture & our address/phone#

She's beautiful in a weird kind of way. I love the great danes that have not had their ears cropped.

Don't know what to do? You just got an early Christmas present. If you don't find her owner, keep her.

As for putting your address out there, I wouldn't. Just a phone number or email or text, if you do that and check out the responders.

Ask questions such as did you lose a male or female?

What breed is he/she? Don't tell them; make them tell you.

When did you lose her? (Some people will call looking for a dog that they lost last year)

What color is he/she? About how old?

Was she wearing a collar? (make the responder ask this although it's not definitive since someone else could have taken it off or she could have lost it.

Ask the dog's name and see if she responds to your saying it when she is not looking at you. Check to see if she has been spayed and ask the responder to see if you get the right answer (if you can see the spaying scar, of course).

I have always just had ads that say something like: "FOUND: Large purebred dog. Found on ****Road on 12/**/18. Identify to claim." I have found a lot of dogs and this works well. Real owners don't mind telling you how she got away from them and will just be happy to have their baby back.

If the real owner responds, you will know it instead of just handing her over to anyone who wants a free dog. All of the responsible animal help organizations will advise you to do something similar.

Also, if you put your address out there, anyone can drive by to see her before they call, not to mention the fact that they then know where YOU live and possibly see the Christmas gifts under your pretty tree.

Great Dane rescue is a great idea, too.

Good luck with your search. She looks like a keeper, to me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post: