Survivalist Forum banner

Class III fire arms.

207K views 258 replies 121 participants last post by  rugster 
#1 ·
Class III firearms are not illegal if you follow the National Firearms Act (NFA) and include;

Any full auto gun (FA)
This is any firearm that goes bang more then once per trigger squeeze.

Any silencer
Anything used to alter or suppress the sound from a firearm.

Any short barrel rifle (SBR)
Any rifle barrel length of less than 16 inches (and overall length of less than 26 inches).

Any short barrel shotgun (SBS)
Any shotgun with a barrel length of less then 18 inches.

Any Other Weapon (AOW)
Anything the BATF cant define. (super shorty shotgun)

Destructive devices
If you thought the AOW definition was ify good luck with this one. (street sweeper, SPAS, AP ammo, Dragons breath ammo, flechete ammo, Hornets nest rubber ball grenades, etc)

Tax stamps for all these cost $200. The one exemption is the AOW which is $5.

So your shotgun can be “chopped” down less then 18inches for $200. Same with your M4, for $200 you can get a 10 inch barrel. Or you can buy them short, it just needs to be bought through a class III dealer with the $200 tax stamp. Same for your silencer ($200). The serbu super shorty shotgun is an AOW, this is just the $5 tax stamp.

Your FA shotgun (SPAS) is defined as a destructive device. ($200).

You can not, under any circumstances permitted to make your gun FA. NO NO NO NO.
There are manufactures (builders) that can make FA weapons but they are for LEO ONLY and cannot be sold to anyone but LEO.

In order to get a FA firearm you have to buy them pre NFA ban. (So anything made/imported before the NFA ban). These firearms are considered “collectable” by most are the prices are going up daily. Any firearm made after the ban is for law enforcement use only. The glock 18’s are sweet but unless you’re a LEO then it’s a no go.

More and more people are falling into trouble with “intent”. For those that don’t understand intent is not so much your “real” intent. It’s what the ATF thinks your intent is. For example, you buy gunpowder with the intent of buying a muzzle loader to go hunting, unfortunately your sink pipe burst on the way home. So you also buy a new pipe. The ATF stops by and sees gunpowder with no muzzle loader and pipes. The ATF now feels your intent is to make pipe bombs. You will be charged, and more then likely loose an argument in court, thus making you the newest terroristic felon on the block.

Deviating from the National Firearms Act is a felony. Anything the ATF feels your thinking about can also be a felony.

Your state law can over ride the federal firearms laws so its best to check with your local class III for buying any NFA items.

(I am by no means perfect so if I missed something let me know.) Feel free to add to this thread IF you know what the hell your talking about. If you dont then its best o keep it to yourself rather then get another person in trouble or hurt. I'm sure anything that steps out of the relm of legal will get deleated by the mighty MODs (I hope) as none of us need the headache of a eye screw by the feds.

See less See more
#2 ·
One addition

If you build a SBR or SBE ie chop the barrel or rebarrel the upper with a shorter barrel then you are the manufacturer of said weapon and your name and your location must be engraved on the reciever. This has to happen BEFORE you build the weapon and you must be in possession of your NFA tax stamp BEFORE you assemble the weeapon also.

Dave

#9 ·
I remember reading an article in the NRA magazine about "destructive devices". The weapon in question was a WW I anti-tank gun that a collector owned. It was made in Sweden at the end of WW I to take care of tanks. When WW II began, it was obsolete and couldn't take out the new tanks of the time. I don't remember much about it except it was semi-auto with a side clip and came with a trenching tool so you could dig a trench to set the bipod legs in. It also had wheels so it could be pulled. It was not quite a cannon, but close.

The thing I remember was the owner dicussed that he had to have a proper storage space for the weapon so it could not be stolen. Basically to get the permit, he had to have the safe already that met the requirements to own a destructive device. So in getting the stamps, there could be other requirements as well that will come out of your pocket.

Just an FYI.

Hi Poopus

#25 ·
The stamps are a result of the National Firearms Act of 1934. You can thank the 1930's gansters for the formation of this act. Before this act was created, you could purchase a Thompson submachinegun from Sears Roebuck & Company through the mail. The act was originally enacted to be restrictive in an attempt to keep machineguns away from everyone. $200.00 was a fortune in the 1930's and no one was going to spend this kind of money just on a stamp that allows you to own a machinegun when they were making a dollar a day salary.

#15 ·
it didnt with the Mac 10 we recovered out of a truck at the school I was working at last year. PD said it looked converted.

Theres only one answer to your question, Corporal. Civillian Leaders, if they have any military time in them at all- it comes in the form of instant reserve service- or ROTC cources that garauntee that they never have to see the muddy end of a boot. The people that get elected to make those decisions never get their hands dirty in real work.
Don't bring up McCain, either- he was a blueblood LONG before he got in the habit of losing Skyhawks.

To end my rant- POLITICS

#21 ·
My state of Hawaii is absolutely anti gun. There is no class III here and when Clinton's gun ban was in effect, this state passed its own state law to limit magazine capacity to 10 rounds, so even though the federal law sun-setted, our state law is going strong. Security guards here are not allowed to have firearms on duty. The legislature is working on a .50 BMG ban. It is a felony to have a weapon in your vehicle or on your person, even unloaded, unless you are going from home to your shooting location or vice versa. Concealed carry for personal protection is allowed by law, but the chiefs of police for the 4 counties here have decided against issuing any permits. It just keeps going and going. Enjoy what you have on the mainland and if you have the opportunity to take advantage of the class III weapons, do it.

#26 ·
Your state law can over ride the federal firearms laws so its best to check with your local class III for buying any NFA items.

Just a clarification to a great post:

State law can't "override" federal law in the sense that it can change a federal obligation to a less severe obligation. State law can only be more strict.

In other words, you have to do what the feds say AND what the state says.

#30 ·
It's my understanding that when Clinton passed his full auto restrictions that any new builds were restricted to LE or Military. I believe you can build on a grandfathered receiver as that is what the regitration goes with just like a semi-auto or any other firearm.
That said this had the same effect as the AWB in that prices wen't through the roof !

#45 ·
I have shot FA weapons at a range in Las Vegas. Fun I guess if you are rich. I don't have any desire to own one but I have a question about so many videos on youtube. There are videos of Glock 18's or converted Glocks and a lot of other weapons that are full auto. All of these could not have been built before 1986 and you know the people don't have $20-30,000 to buy one. How are they getting around the law? Am I missing something.

#48 ·
The people shooting full auto on Youtube are one of four things things: 1.) Law enforcement, military, or government personnel 2.) private citizens in possession of legally owned and registered weapons 3.) people who hold Class I, II, or III SOT status or 4.) Criminals in possession of illegal weapons.

I'm pretty confident that 99.99% of the people on Youtube fall into one of the first three categories. No criminal is dumb enough to invite BATFE to raid his house in search of contraband.

There are no loopholes. Those who break the law are prison sentences waiting to happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.