Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-16-2019, 10:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,696 Times in 2,018 Posts

Advertise Here

One of my hunting friends sister is in her 80's. Her arthritis is getting bad, she can no longer handle her charter arms 44 special. She opted to get a Beretta 22 lr with a tip up barrel. No slide to work and the recoil is manageable. Seeing the writing on the wall, I picked up a taurus tip up when I ran across one. Who knows, I may make it to 80.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2019, 11:11 AM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,881 Times in 6,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl51 View Post
You're actually a funny guy, Israel. It's so typical of guys who get their history from Hollywood movies and gun shop gurus. Nevermind the two had an early life in a violent inner city slum and real world experience.

Yes, three or four thugs can breakin, but 99.9% of the time at the first shot for a homeowner they run like the cowards they are. Spend sometime watching real surveillance camera footage of actual events of civilian shootings. You won't see much reloading going on. But you will see a lot of criminals running like a raped ape.

As for a .22 short at 300 yards, I don't know what your referring to. My shot from that .22 derringer was more like three feet from muzzle to the guy with the crowbar.

Putnam, you're the kind of guy that gives gun people everywhere a bad name. try to do better than hysterical ranting and ridiculous hype. If you think a .22 is a joke, are you willing to stand in front of one like secret service agent Tim McCarthy did when Reagan was shot? And if a .22 is soooo bad, why were all the people shot by wack job John Hinckly down and not moving from one single little boolet from a puny .22?

You're a funny guy Putnam, but try playing less video games and checkout real life on the street. Go rent an apartment for just a month on 14th street in D.C. and check back with us.
Ooooh, I bet that left a mark!
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 11:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,186 Times in 4,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Ooooh, I bet that left a mark!
Not really.

Iím a former 01 FFL who still works for an 07.
I just started working weekends as needed at a range that rents guns.
Just this weekend the neighbor and I did a little shooting, he has real arthritis and he struggled with a revolver.
While you may find operating the cylinder latch no big deal, he has to let go of the grip, palm the gun and using his off hand work the cylinder latch.
Then itís a chore for him to load the cylinder, I did suggest speed loaders but I seriously doubt he has the dexterity to grasp the little knob on most of them.
Maybe speed strips...

You guys and your love affairs for revolvers with their 10+ pound da pulls are the ones not living in reality.
That or as I said, your arthritis is not that bad.

Iíve helped plenty of people through the process of finding what works for them with having actual arthritis.
An autoloader all loaded up and ready to go is a better option for most than a stiff pulling revolver trigger.

You think youíre right, and good for you, but my real world experience differs greatly.

How anyone can suggest that a 10# da trigger pull is better for someone with arthritis than a ready to go autoloader is not something I agree with.

Thatís gotta hurt...
The Following User Says Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 11:34 AM

sccy 9 mm
Old 07-16-2019, 04:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,612 Times in 4,112 Posts

This went as well as any gun discussion seems to go. I think for now I have equipped her well enough. Leaning toward best would be a full size DA/SA 38 special.
The Following User Says Thank You to real wowwee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 04:12 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by real wowwee View Post
This went as well as any gun discussion seems to go. I think for now I have equipped her well enough. Leaning toward best would be a full size DA/SA 38 special.
So she has no problems with dexterity or with a 10# DA pull?

If not, good choice.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:57 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
So she has no problems with dexterity or with a 10# DA pull?

If not, good choice.
Doesn't seem to but the pistols is DA/SA so she can cock it for the first round. She isn't super weak just had a hard time racking the slide.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:43 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by real wowwee View Post
Doesn't seem to but the pistols is DA/SA so she can cock it for the first round. She isn't super weak just had a hard time racking the slide.
So the plan is for her to cock the DA revolver every time like it's a SA?

If you go with a revolver, even if she cocks the hammer the first round, each round after is going to have that heavy DA trigger pull.

This is why this whole thread is so off the rails.
You say she can shoot an autoloader just fine but cannot operate the slide, did I read that correctly?

I'm just not sold on someone with strength issues pulling a 10# trigger on a revolver.
Because unlike the comedians here, I do have experience in this area.

Then why not just get a device that will allow her to operate the slide, a cocking assist?
I'm just not understanding why a totally new style of weapon, a low capacity one to boot, when the only problem she is having is operating the slide when there are options out there to assist in operating a slide.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:26 PM
Militant Normal

What's off the rails is normalcy bias coming from one of those gunstore guru types who sold my friend a XD that she can't operate because HE thinks everybody should be a great as HE is. We knew the type when I was racing motorcycles: "Legend in his own mind".

Gets mighty tiresome after a while.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:44 PM
Survivor

Quote:
What's off the rails is normalcy bias coming from one of those gunstore guru types who sold my friend a XD that she can't operate because HE thinks everybody should be a great as HE is. We knew the type when I was racing motorcycles: "Legend in his own mind".

Gets mighty tiresome after a while.
Ohhh, so your refusal to admit that not everyone is the same is based on your friend getting screwed by a salesman and because she didn’t ask you for your professional advice.

The clarity, now I see it.

You refuse to consider that a preloaded and ready to go autoloader might just be a better choice than a double action revolver with a heavy double action pull due to your friends experience and individual physical infirmities.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:51 PM
Survivor

Unwavering stubbornness.

If someone wants and can operate a heavy double action and they don’t care about capacity then by all means they should get their revolver.

However, there are those with arthritis that simply cannot operate that heavy double action pull of a revolver.
In these cases a fully loaded, cocked and ready to fire autoloader might be an option.

The revolver is not the greatest invention ever, no matter what some here claim.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:47 PM
Militant Normal

Speaking of stubbornness....
Old 07-16-2019, 10:09 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Speaking of stubbornness....
Opinionated is not stubbornness.

Your preconceived notions based on your one ďfriendĒ has clouded your judgement.
You refuse to see that a revolver may not be a good choice due to the heavy DA pull for someone with arthritis based on your one friend.

I have an opinion, based upon multiple personal experiences and you donít like it.
You and the .22 short sniper think youíre funny, but youíre not.
Youíre giving the OP advice based on emotion and not experience.

Or at least thatís what it seems like...

So yet again, I disagree that a revolver with that inherent heavy pull is a good idea for everyone with arthritis, it may work for some, but imo itís a poor choice for all.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:33 AM
Militant Normal

What is the term used by psychologists for patients who accuse others of what they are doing themselves? Oh, yes - transference.

I just can't see handing a loaded gun with a 5 lb trigger pull and NO SAFETY to a non-shooter of any age under under any circumstances not involving close supervision. And DON'T feed me the line that that silly dingus in the trigger is a safety. Dozens and dozens of unintentional discharges prove otherwise.

If you'd have suggested a SA hammer-fired type with a safety, or DA/SA with a decocker/safety, maybe there's some common ground. but you didn't.

The idea that a DA revolver pull can't be managed by a person with arthritic hands is ludicrous. I also have arthritis badly enough that I can't cycle a 9mm striker type, but the DA trigger pull on my S&Ws and Colts is trivial. Ditto the DA pull on the Beretta I bought last year. (I'm not so chauvinistic as some posters here.)
Old 07-17-2019, 02:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,966 Times in 19,123 Posts

Quote:

The idea that a DA revolver pull can't be managed by a person with arthritic hands is ludicrous. I also have arthritis badly enough that I can't cycle a 9mm striker type, but the DA trigger pull on my S&Ws and Colts is trivial. Ditto the DA pull on the Beretta I bought last year. (I'm not so chauvinistic as some posters here.)
Used to know a guy who's mom had to give up her S&W model 60 because she couldn't manage it anymore.

Ended up giving her a Glock 19 with a 33 round mag inserted.

she couldn't load mags or even reliably swap magazines.
could (slowly) if she reloaded before slide lock.
(But she could shoot it)

But they figured that by the time she fired 34 rounds there would be no more need...
(That's 6 reloads with her revolver.)

People (and their disabilities) are different.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:50 AM
Survivor

Quote:
What is the term used by psychologists for patients who accuse others of what they are doing themselves? Oh, yes - transference.

I just can't see handing a loaded gun with a 5 lb trigger pull and NO SAFETY to a non-shooter of any age under under any circumstances not involving close supervision. And DON'T feed me the line that that silly dingus in the trigger is a safety. Dozens and dozens of unintentional discharges prove otherwise.

If you'd have suggested a SA hammer-fired type with a safety, or DA/SA with a decocker/safety, maybe there's some common ground. but you didn't.

You seriously need to go back and read my very first post in this thread, go do that and you’ll see just how out of whack your comments towards my posts have been.

Then come back and see how you can twist my mention of a 1911 and Beretta 92 to fit your narrative. (Because it seems that you have it in your head that I’ve only suggested a Glock or something)
So neither of these have a safety?
Neither is sa?
Neither is da/sa?
Neither has a hammer?

Also of note, in my first comment, I mentioned the SR9 series, maybe you should read up on that pistol before making comments about me suggesting a pistol with no safety...

The SR9 series has a pretty easy to operate slide.
It also has a safety.
The grip is on the slim side.
The trigger pull is about 5lbs on the SR9C.
They both can hold 17+1 rounds...

So again, I did suggest or at least mention the very guns you just claimed I didn’t.
Your own lack of reading comprehension is the entire reason for this whole comedy show.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:55 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Used to know a guy who's mom had to give up her S&W model 60 because she couldn't manage it anymore.

Ended up giving her a Glock 19 with a 33 round mag inserted.

she couldn't load mags or even reliably swap magazines.
could (slowly) if she reloaded before slide lock.
(But she could shoot it)

But they figured that by the time she fired 34 rounds there would be no more need...
(That's 6 reloads with her revolver.)

People (and their disabilities) are different.
Oh hell, you must be another of those gunshop gurus!!!
Old 07-17-2019, 07:33 AM
Militant Normal

My Beretta 92 is DA/SA and has a decocker/safety. Did you think it doesn't? Or are you fantacizing that I think it doesn't.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:41 AM
Survivor

Israel Putnam, Old Coach in the wisdom of Rodney King "Can't we just get along?"

The gist of the argument is a revolver DA pull is too hard for an arthritic person and it has low capacity? Verdict TRUE for some people.

Reading between the lines it seems you both agree a SA/DA with 17 rounds of 9mm loaded with safety on is not a bad choice for a lady who has no problem with the trigger pull in either mode. The pistol is loaded with 115 grain hollow points ( proven to go bang every time in this particular gun) and given the weight are very soft shooting. Every one I let us it at the range likes it.

Plus she is sharp as a tack, strong willed, and understands the operation of the pistol and safety rules. I picture her shooting some one, call 911, put on a pot of coffee for them and waiting for them to arrive. Don't mess with granny.

Just to add a twist to all this my son says I should get her a 20 gauge pump shotgun. He thinks a granny with a shotgun is a scary stereotype or something. I think it is too big and complicated to operate especially in a house.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:37 AM
Prepared

i told gramma what you said about 10# trigger she unloaded her little 36 and had no issues pulling the trigger.and said come mess with her and she would show you how its done.you really live in la la land.she also said some of her friends from church and around the hood also carry da revolvers.she worrys that a 22 might not get the job done.i asked just for you folks just one grammas op.