Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-30-2019, 07:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,400 Times in 3,842 Posts
Default Installed a winch... (new vehicle build)

Advertise Here

Just picked this Soccer Mom Mobile up a couple weeks ago (2nd week of June). It's a '19 Toyota 4Runner Off Road w/ Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires.

Between yesterday and today, I installed a Warn VR10 w/ steel cable, Warn 100022 Hidden Winch Bumper, and a Toyota TRD Skid Plate.

Fresh from the dealer:

Bumper less:

Winch Bumper installed:

All done:

Still need a mild lift (possibly Eibach) to handle that extra weight, sliders, lights, etc...

Need to invest into some electric or air impact tools. Turning wrenches by hand is an all body workout.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 07:30 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 12,158 Times in 3,954 Posts

Good prep. Good vehicle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 07:31 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,820 Times in 624 Posts

I hear you on that last statement. Been wrenching on all weekend. How much lift are you going to do?
The Following User Says Thank You to BytheRivers For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 07:38 PM
Amat victoria curam

Thanked 2,186 Times in 830 Posts

Out of curiosity any reason you chose steel over synthetic line and hook over screw pin shackle?

Just interested in seeing how others think on the subject I have steel and hook but that's all that's usable with the MB type C winches.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [_]ni/\/\og For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 07:47 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_]ni/\/\og View Post
Out of curiosity any reason you chose steel over synthetic line and hook over screw pin shackle?

Just interested in seeing how others think on the subject I have steel and hook but that's all that's usable with the MB type C winches.
I figure I can use steel more around the ranch - dragging logs, lifting things, without as much need to worry about it getting dirty, frayed, etc. A little more heavy duty than synthetic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 07:53 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BytheRivers View Post
I hear you on that last statement. Been wrenching on all weekend. How much lift are you going to do?
Small - 2 inch in the front / 1 inch in the rear. Will level it plus carry the load.

Real close to pulling the trigger on this Eibach kit:
https://www.autoanything.com/suspens...caAsunEALw_wcB

Plan is to not change the Upper Control Arms. Tires are the stock 265/70SR17.0 size, down the line I can see going up a size or 2.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:01 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 2,912 Times in 749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_]ni/\/\og View Post

I HAVE been running winches on trucks for a LONG time.
Synthetics are light, strong, easy to work with
BUT
they just do not hold up to the day to day abuse it you use it A LOT.
I bought a synthetic line to replace the wire rope on my 8000lb Ramsey I have mounted in a cradle. After 25+ years of use it was still good, but I could shed a LOT of weight using synthetic over wire and IT IS HEAVY!
So I ran out my wire rope then stretched out the synthetic on the ground to get it ready to spool back in and I noticed it was picking up every twig, piece of bark, little piece of crap that was in the yard.
NOW
I use that winch A LOT, mostly for pulling down trees and ripping out stumps. The cable is in the dirt and crud A LOT. And I know that synthetic would be looking like a porcupine after a couple drags through the woods.
SO
I spooled the wire back on and rolled up the syn line and now have it in my truck box for a winch extender in case I need it.
ALSO you have to watch the abrasion when using synthetic line, abrasion takes a lot of toll.

If all you use it for is in snow or on pavement, then maybe it will be OK but it just isn't going to take that regular drag through the bush.Steel is just tougher.

You will notice you do not see wrecker companies using synthetic rope. .. at least not in my part of the world.

MY Silverado running a 9500lb winch

MY 2000 Cherokee running a 9500lb winch
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 11:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,057 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
If all you use it for is in snow or on pavement, then maybe it will be OK but it just isn't going to take that regular drag through the bush.Steel is just tougher.
I've been running the same section of synthetic winch line for 8+ years now. I have wheeled all over the country and use it all over my property and back on my parents ranch. This includes use in mud, dirt, rock, snow, ice, trees, etc. I don't baby it at all. Friends in my group have line that is 15+ years old now. If you feel guilty about it, pull it off and wash it in a bucket once a year.

In my experience, steel cable has just as many issues, if not more when used hard. Steel cable will loop kink when spooled off without tension. It frays with use....and I have the scars on my hands that happened THROUGH leather gloves to prove it. It isn't that easy to field repair. It's heavier. It is more dangerous because it stores more energy when used.
The Following User Says Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 01:58 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,632 Times in 761 Posts

Winch and lift kit. Next step might be to install a dual battery system. I've got them on all my vehicles and they've been useful many times. I've never liked the idea of powering the winch with the alternator. Batteries are cheaper and much easier to change.
The Following User Says Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 05:46 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolphrowzeebragg View Post
Winch and lift kit. Next step might be to install a dual battery system. I've got them on all my vehicles and they've been useful many times. I've never liked the idea of powering the winch with the alternator. Batteries are cheaper and much easier to change.
There is a ton of room in the engine bay on the 4Runner. A 2nd battery would fit in there with room to spare. I'm thinking I will mount a box to store the winch controller in there as well.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:21 AM
Survivor

Eibach lift kit ordered. Consists of 4 shocks and 4 Springs.
Plan to install it myself. Have a floor jack but still need to buy jack stands.

Removed the nerf bars from the T4R. They were annoying to crawl over and really robbed ground clearance.

Looking at ways to mount fuel cans on the outside of the vehicle. I think I may add a ladder to the rear and mount either cans or rotapax to that.

something like this:

I have an old military fuel can mount that I could spay paint black and bolt to that ladder.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:50 AM
Survivor

Used my winch yesterday to pull a friend's 2wd Nissan hardbody pickup back onto his driveway. Short pull but it worked perfectly.

Hooked on to the frame under his front bumper.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 04:27 PM
Survivor

Eibach Pro Lift (4 springs & 4 shocks) added to the T4R. https://eibach.com/us/i-9884-pro-tru...a-4runner.html

Had these guys install it instead of doing it myself. $475 OTD with alignment. Seemed reasonable.
http://www.bkstrucks.com/index.html

2.5 inches in the the front and 1 inch in the rear. Gained some clearance back that was lost to the 200lbs of winch & bumper. I find the truck handles better on the road. More firm through the curves and the nose dive on breaking is significantly reduced.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 03:42 AM

Looking great. I'm trying to seek some references before I install a lift on my truck. I already have a set in mind but it seems like I need to add bilstein shock on it.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:36 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunteray View Post
Looking great. I'm trying to seek some references before I install a lift on my truck. I already have a set in mind but it seems like I need to add bilstein shock on it.
I think Eibach actually makes some of the Bilstein shock / spring products.

I've been tracking my MPG since adding the lift. It's ranging between 18mpg to 20mpg - hand calculated. Which I think it pretty fantastic considering the weight of the winch and bumper.