First SHTF Rifle Ruger Mini 30 or SKS with Banana Clip - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 06-26-2019, 04:13 AM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,101 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeetSquatch View Post
$675 for SKS and $700 for the Mini 30.
Would that be an SKS "D"? Very high priced unless that was the case.

I think that would be an alright price for the 30, and they are a neat gun; but if I'm being honest, I can't see the justification for a higher priced Mini over an AR. Save maybe, mechanical complexity? Not that it's so much an advantage.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
No way would I consider a bolt action. That is American civil war technology. I know you guys say gaming has no real world application but in Battlefield 4 snipers with bolt action guns get slaughtered by other players with assault rifle at medium and close range. Thats why I almost never play sniper roles. I think I would be better of sticking to my marlin 22 semi than going to a slow firing bolt gun.
If you are planning on taking part in multiple gun battles, you're not going to be around long anyway. Not many people are going to challenge a guy one on one with "just" a bolt action hunting rifle. Being or choosing a victim is all about perceived disparity of force. Even a group knows that someone is going to get it and likely move on. And getting sprayed with lung chunks when you're friend's back explodes, is a powerful demotivator for the less swift. Survival will come down more to training, and will, than equipment carried. Besides, you'll have a sidearm for unexpected "social work", right?

If you remember the LA riots, nobody messed with the Koreans. They lined their cars up, took strategic positions, stood shoulder to shoulder, so to speak, and had visible arms. And probably most of them were run of the mill sporting guns. Grandpa's 870 with long barrel.

An older friend, who passed on years ago, told me of an encounter he witnessed. It involved running bikers out of a tough mining or timber town and they ended up on a rancher, or farmer's property. The guy stepped out on the porch with a lever action, and told them to clear out. Apparently the leader told him "**** you!" or something to that effect. Last words he ever spoke, as he was shot out of the saddle. And that whole big tough group just left. They saw enough.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 04:50 AM

Oh, and BTW, it's a magazine. Clips are what you use to load some of them directly into the rifle.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 10:15 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 26,632 Times in 8,625 Posts

Both carbines you mentioned are meant for closer range work. I've owned 3 Mini-14s and tested them only to find that as they warm up when fired the bullet pattern drops down about three-quarters of an inch for the first 5 shots. The Mini-14 was not designed to be a super-accurate or precision shooter. It was designed to be a sort of carbine to replace or augment pistols in some types of military, security or police work. A good example of how to use a Mini-14 can be found in how one was use by the bank robbers during the FBI Miami Shootout.

The SKS was a crossover between a carbine and a rifle shooting a 7.62 X 39 cartridge using a stripper clip and holding 10 rounds instead of 5 or 8 rounds internally. Again, this firearm was meant to meet certain combat roles or fill certain functions for police, security and military personnel. The bullet fired by this carbine is bigger than the one fired by the Mini-14 carbine so that is one issue you may want to consider depending on what role you want your firearm to do for you.

If your intended firearm is to be used for hunting medium size game, personal defense and possible urban conflict, I'd go with the SKS in its original format and a bunch of stripper clips. If I were going to be moving around a lot, if I had to engage a group of bad guys and if I needed to reload lots of ammo real fast, I'd go with the Mini-14.

Neither firearm is going to win a long range combat test but both will serve most people well in many conditions. The key to making your carbine work well for you is lots and lots of practice with it before trouble hits home. Get to know your carbine well. Develop confidence with it. Care for it. Clean it. Take some training with it. Once you've done all of this then you'll be ready for anything you may confront.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 07:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,130 Times in 880 Posts

To the OP, of the two guns you mentioned I would take the Mini-thirty over the SKS. I say this because the way you describe the SKS makes it sound like someone Bubba'd it from its original configuration. I have owned both rifles. The Mini-thirty will eat what you feed it but stick with Ruger mags or good ones from CDNN, no pro-mags.

The SKS you want in the original configuration. Great gun but leave it original or buy a model that originally took AK mags and pay a little more, still less than $700. Set up like you describe I could buy an SKS around here for $250 to $450 depending on how bad the guy wants to sell. My used in great condition Mini-thirty I got for $400. Look around for better prices and get what you want with magazines and ammo as well.

JMHO but if you want a 7.62x39 and have $700 get a WASR AK-47 and buy some ammo. You should be able to get a used one of those for $450 to $550 and spend the rest on ammo and magazines. Or look at Palmetto State Armory and there AK-47 line, they will offer free shipping and there blemished models run about $519. I have bought a lot of there blemished items and frankly I can't find the blemishes and don't care because I am hard on my equipment.

Good luck and be safe
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buckhunter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 07:43 PM
Prepared

Like Herd Sniper I'm of the opinion that a carbine is a lightweight fast handling short range firearm. Here in the thick scrub brush of NE Florida I've anchored Black Bear, Hog, Deer, and many smaller game animals inside of 150 yards with a single 7.62 x 39 mm 150 grain round out of a Mini-Thirty. I've found that it's far easier to equip a Mini-30 with a scope than it is to equip an SKS with glass once Time & Tide has eroded your eyesight.
So if you are familiar with the M-14 manual of arms? I'll strongly recommend the Mini-30 over the SKS. But if you cut your teeth on the SKS, it's probably the firearm for you. JMHO.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NAC/NSW/CAC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 07:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,263 Times in 1,863 Posts

If you want a versatile carbine in a realistic round, get a ruger 77 bolt in 357. The OP is living in a fantasy world of military action which is highly unlikely even in times of chaos. Most of us, no matter how well we prepare are not going to last long in an encounter with a trained military unit. Most of our work will be defending our residence from predators and thieves. If we are hunting for protein a nice bolt 22lr will suffice. A 357 mag will give us the ability to knock down deer, bear and thieves out to about 200 yards. More if we are really good, which most of us are not. Think about this next time your are out shooting ground rodents. 100 yard, they are mine. 200 maybe 50%? 300 yards 25%. Yeah we have all made the 400 yard shot with a 22 center fire but can we make it every time? Of course a ground squirrel is about the size of the 10 ring on silhouette target but that is an argument for another time. The OP is lost in on line games and has no concept of conflict reality
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 08:04 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
If you want a versatile carbine in a realistic round, get a ruger 77 bolt in 357. The OP is living in a fantasy world of military action which is highly unlikely even in times of chaos. Most of us, no matter how well we prepare are not going to last long in an encounter with a trained military unit. Most of our work will be defending our residence from predators and thieves. If we are hunting for protein a nice bolt 22lr will suffice. A 357 mag will give us the ability to knock down deer, bear and thieves out to about 200 yards. More if we are really good, which most of us are not. Think about this next time your are out shooting ground rodents. 100 yard, they are mine. 200 maybe 50%? 300 yards 25%. Yeah we have all made the 400 yard shot with a 22 center fire but can we make it every time? Of course a ground squirrel is about the size of the 10 ring on silhouette target but that is an argument for another time. The OP is lost in on line games and has no concept of conflict reality
Do you actually want to handicap yourself (not to mention others) with a bolt action rifle chambered in a pistol cartridge?
I'm not really good, but I have a couple of trophies in the cabinet for shooting silhouette targets at 100,200,300, & 400 yards with a revolver chambered in pistol cartridges. So could you expound upon why you would recommend that another is handicapped with the cyclic rate of a precision rifle when mated to the CQB limitations of a handgun cartridge???????
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NAC/NSW/CAC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 08:35 PM
Tin Can Sailor

Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,844 Posts

Either buy an AR-15 or AK. PSA has good prices. Or you could get a KS-47 (AR in 7.62x39mm that uses standard AK magazines).

https://palmettostatearmory.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doh Myn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 08:42 PM
Prepared

Quote:
No way would I consider a bolt action. That is American civil war technology. I know you guys say gaming has no real world application but in Battlefield 4 snipers with bolt action guns get slaughtered by other players with assault rifle at medium and close range. Thats why I almost never play sniper roles. I think I would be better of sticking to my marlin 22 semi than going to a slow firing bolt gun.
I believe that the bolt action would have been a revolution in the "Revolutionary War". (who won that by the way?)
Perhaps you should ponder your options in the Real World far beyond 2000 Meters!
A rifle with a cyclic rate faster than the travel time of the projectile to target isn't exceptionally TACTICAL no matter how diminutive the projectile. JMHO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NAC/NSW/CAC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 09:18 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,416 Times in 5,035 Posts

Remember, OP says he's "...running a Marlin 60..."
Must be operator as all get out...
Come on kid, find a video game forum.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:15 AM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
I will be the first to admit it's not ideal but it's equipped with a Bushnell red dot and 14 rounds of CCI Maxi Mag TNT or Piney mountain tracer rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger is nothing to sneeze at. Pretty decent firepower. I eventually want to attend one of Chris Costa's carbine classes and for that I will need something with quick detach clips.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,042 Times in 2,805 Posts

Quote:
I will be the first to admit it's not ideal but it's equipped with a Bushnell red dot and 14 rounds of CCI Maxi Mag TNT or Piney mountain tracer rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger is nothing to sneeze at. Pretty decent firepower. I eventually want to attend one of Chris Costa's carbine classes and for that I will need something with quick detach clips.
How well does your Marlin run those Maxi Mag TNT's ? my Marlin 60 just refuses to eat those.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalifornia Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 01:43 AM
MAGA

Thanked 15,060 Times in 4,377 Posts

Quote:
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to harbinger1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 03:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,115 Times in 1,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
Quote:
Got that right ksmedman. I bet even Gunkid and Gecko45 would have trouble running that rifle with that ammo.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 07:07 AM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 7,644 Times in 1,716 Posts

Build yourself a quality AR and stock up on bananas

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 08:32 AM
Úlfhéðnar

Quote:
again... get an AR. theyre cheap, the ergonomics are solid, cleaning is easy, and all those stories you've heard about rounds just zipping through the target are due to a combination of milspec full metal jacket ammo and short barrels causing velocity to drop off too fast. Milspec ammunitions one saving grace is fragmentation, which doesnt occur at lower velocities.

For the prices you're talking about, you could get a milspec AR and a solid Aimpoint, and maybe have a bit left over for ammo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyscale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 09:07 AM
Priorities. Col. 3:1-4

Quote:
You're handling criticism (and mockery) with a cool head. From what I've seen you aren't a nut or a Gecko45 (as entertaining as it would be for him to make a comeback), but I do think you need to consider the survival situations you're likely to face and put your limited resources towards the most likely contingencies. See the tool I linked on page 1 of this thread.

And, despite all the mockery, you do admit your experience is almost entirely in video games. Quite a few posters here have a good amount of real-world experience--some have tons of it. Don't dismiss them based on video games or one book you read. The tool has to fit the purpose. If you expect to face multiple armed assailants equipped with body armor, prioritize your resources toward getting something semi-auto in .308. If you expect to defend a ranch on a hilltop, prioritize a scoped bolt in something like .300WM. If you expect to hunt small game to survive, prioritize a .22 or a shotgun. If you expect to probably face an unexpected personal financial crisis (like a transmission failure in your car) more likely than being attacked by armed criminals, then prioritize saving up a $3k emergency fund before you buy a pricy gun.

Once you're ready for the most likely scenarios, work down the list until you hit a defensive scenario that requires a firearm. Then prepare for the most likely defensive scenario, which, frankly, is a single unarmored attacker who would be deterred simply by presenting a legally concealed handgun. IMHO. And for the love of the beautiful and the good (and the functional) dont get a Hi-Point

But it's a free country and we have the Second Amendment, so that SKS is yours if you want it.

My 2 cents, or maybe a nickel.

Last edited by Surviving Suburbia; 06-27-2019 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: Lol...remove the winky face I accidentally put in the subject line
The Following User Says Thank You to Surviving Suburbia For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 09:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,946 Times in 6,440 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the links. Looks tempting but I don't trust that little 223 bullet to get the job done. It started off as a varmint round for woodchucks, prairie dogs etc. I recently read this book called black hawk down about Americans fighting in Somalia. The soldiers in that battle complained that the 223 bullets would zip right through "the skinnies" and not do any damage. Not too many skinnies in my parts but I think I need a 7.62 to feel confident.
Quit it.

Another “I read” story. Guess what...reading isn’t the same as understanding.
We shoot coyotes with .223/5.56 all the time. Smaller than a human (note the use of the non-cool term “human, because they are not all haji’s or skinnies, and I’m not an operator) and yet bullets don’t zip through. Because we use soft points that expand, fragment, tumble, and really would make a human take notice. 45 to 75 grains, you put them on target, and targets go down.

Quote:
OMG! He has a red dot! And tracers! Must be BA all day!

Tracers are illegal to shoot in my state...too much fire risk. And yes, the military has managed to start some pretty good fires with them.

If 14 rounds of slow loading tube fed .22 LR is all you got, that’s OK. But it’s not really “firepower”, nor is is decent. And yes, I know...I have 4 or 5 model 60’s. And many other nifty .22 rifles. None of them is a preferred self defense/SHTF rifle, though many could be useful for shooting rats for dinner. I say rats because if we are reduced to hunting for dinner, that’s about all that will be left after the first month or two.

And again...they aren’t clips, and they are DEFINITELY not “quick detach” anything.

So, once again...spend $400, get an AR and a few mags. PSA has deals all the time on ammo that includes several mags, the deals are good enough that it’s almost like getting the mags for free. That ammo will be FMJ, and that’s OK for training, and even for other uses. I load my own hunting ammo, because it tends to be more expensive to buy factory hunting ammo.

So make a friend at the range some day, and use their gear, or take up reloading yourself....after you graduate.

Also, after you graduate, you can make an educated decision to buy a .30 cal bullet launcher, if you still feel the need. But if you’re a real operator, you’ll get the M1A, because it’s the real problem solver...
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 09:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,946 Times in 6,440 Posts

Funny thing...I went to a competition once. It was a racquetball competition, but bear with me. Many “sort of” serious players, newest big carbon fiber racquet, newest coolest goggles, best quick dry clothes...and one big Samoan guy with three old small aluminum racquets that looked like YMCA rejects from 1979. Gym rat clothes, had to borrow goggles from the gym.

He destroyed everyone. Those old crap racquets did everything he told them to.

Sometimes it’s the guy behind the tool.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post: