Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-20-2019, 03:18 PM
59840 - could fix a lot

Thanked 11,414 Times in 3,080 Posts
Default the next pistol glock needs to build

Advertise Here

The SW Shield EZ in 380 is just a brilliant pistol - size and recoil and ease of operation it's a great gun for people who are not and will not be gun people.

The only real down side is the grip safety, S&W has doubled down on the performance center versions adding a manual safety as well.

I've love to see Glock take the perfection of the Glock 48 or maybe the 43X and spring it to run in 380. You'd end up with a pistol that weaker and recoil sensitive people could run
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to wtr100 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 06:20 PM
Awesome

Thanked 22,013 Times in 7,333 Posts

yeah i seen that grip safety and was thinking wtf? the only grip safety i like is on the HK P7

im guessing the EZ in the M&P is because its a recoil operated gun, and not a blowback which requires a heavier recoil spring? that would make it similar in function to the LCP i believe
The Following User Says Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 09:18 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,399 Times in 5,031 Posts

My wife has an EZ, loves it. Really works for her.
Glock has the 42, which is a good alternative, but to be like the EZ it'd have to be a little bigger, maybe 19/23 sized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 02:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,928 Times in 6,434 Posts

Just what the world needs...another slightly larger single stack .380.

Funny thing...grip safeties may have saved a lot of Glock leg injuries.

Good enough for JMB, good enough for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 02:58 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,046 Times in 715 Posts

I'd like to see a Glock carbine or rifle. Like Hi-Point, but better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlphaSierraCharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 06:25 AM
What?

Thanked 10,449 Times in 4,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post

Yea, just what we need, yet another manual safety device added to make us safe and to count on (that may or may not actually work), so we can think less.

I've had a couple of 1911's over the years that came from the factory with one, that was inoperable, and still allowed the trigger to drop when pulled.

You can add all the safeties you want, and count on them all you want, and people will still figure out a way shoot themselves or others, "by accident ".

People have been doing it since the first gun showed up, and regardless what comes in the future, it's going to continue.

Less gadgets and more thinking is the solution.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 06:33 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,690 Times in 1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post

Lot of people Glocked themselves
You really need to be in Condition Red when using handguns with no safeties and light triggers
I really don't have a huge problem with safeties but the muscle memory must be current
Old 06-22-2019, 06:57 AM
What?

You need to be aware with ANY gun while handling it. And even more so, with those that do have manual safeties that people tend to be over-reliant on, believing they alone will keep you safe.

The best safety for some people, is to not let them have a gun in their hand, or anywhere near them.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:26 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,690 Times in 1,793 Posts

None of my handguns have safeties
Zero
But again, if you have a safety on any firearm
It must be automatic muscle memory and never be in the way when you need it
Also, I do not like magazine disconnects and I do have that on a couple pistols, unfortunately
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 11:27 AM
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
Yea, just what we need, yet another manual safety device added to make us safe and to count on (that may or may not actually work), so we can think less.

I've had a couple of 1911's over the years that came from the factory with one, that was inoperable, and still allowed the trigger to drop when pulled.

You can add all the safeties you want, and count on them all you want, and people will still figure out a way shoot themselves or others, "by accident ".

People have been doing it since the first gun showed up, and regardless what comes in the future, it's going to continue.

Less gadgets and more thinking is the solution.
now that raises a question though.. are grip safeties and trigger safeties automatic? or are they manual as you technically have to disengage them before shooting.. in that sense, the glock trigger safety is a manual safety

i think grip safeties are safer though, you get the same benefits as the trigger safety, but theres no way to disengage it with the same action it takes to pull the trigger, and that typically means you can shorten and lighten up the trigger as well
Old 06-22-2019, 11:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,156 Times in 1,602 Posts

I will vote for 3 Pistols:

1. Glock single stack .32 acp. Really small, super thin, deep cover weapon with 6 to 8 rounds on tap. Smaller and lighter than a Ruger LCP II

2. Glock in 5.7x28mm FN. Make it use the same mags as the current FN offering and sell it for less than half the cost of the 5.7 pistol.

3. Glock in 7.62x25 Tokarev. Great performance, flat shooting and maybe a better choice than the 5.7 FN round. In a full size gun, 17 to 19 rounds. With a Glock 34 length barrel, this would be a beast and eat Kevlar for lunch.

I wish that Glock would make this in a true double column magazine and not in a double column that necks down to a single column. A true double magazine column is what you want in a companion sub-gun like a Kriss, or the various AR conversions. The magazines would be easier to load as well, which the ladies might like better and it allows the use of stripper clips too.

Besides, the fireball of the Tokarev rounds would just be cool as hell. All of the high speed pistol competition guys would benefit from the gas pressure for use by their comps.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,156 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
yeah i seen that grip safety and was thinking wtf? the only grip safety i like is on the HK P7

im guessing the EZ in the M&P is because its a recoil operated gun, and not a blowback which requires a heavier recoil spring? that would make it similar in function to the LCP i believe

The P7 is actually a cocking lever, not a safety in the true sense. The best part about the P7 is the pressure to cock the gun is higher than the pressure to keep the lever in position, so once the initial pull is completed, less pressure is required to keep it cocked.

Let go of the gun, simulating a drop and the gun instantly un-cocks. The real big benefit is the 2.5 lb single action trigger pull. Awesome gun, I miss mine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mauser6863 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 12:07 PM
Awesome

the only problem with 7.62x25 is its just slightly too long for most .38 super style magazines, so it'd likely require a new frame size that is only slightly longer front to back in the grip than a 10mm/45acp glock frame which means all new tooling, machines, molds, slide stock, etc for something few people would buy.. so that is something i dont think you'll ever see from glock.. unless of course there is enough clearance in a glock 10mm mag for x25 already
Old 06-22-2019, 12:09 PM
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser6863 View Post

The P7 is actually a cocking lever, not a safety in the true sense. The best part about the P7 is the pressure to cock the gun is higher than the pressure to keep the lever in position, so once the initial pull is completed, less pressure is required to keep it cocked.

Let go of the gun, simulating a drop and the gun instantly un-cocks. The real big benefit is the 2.5 lb single action trigger pull. Awesome gun, I miss mine.
they are pretty cool pistols.. i wouldnt mind seeing a clone of them at least, or maybe someone implement the idea into something new.. and you could probably get lever pieces with or without finger grooves and with different checkering patterns as well if there was aftermarket for such a thing
Old 06-22-2019, 12:18 PM
What?

Quote:
now that raises a question though.. are grip safeties and trigger safeties automatic? or are they manual as you technically have to disengage them before shooting.. in that sense, the glock trigger safety is a manual safety

i think grip safeties are safer though, you get the same benefits as the trigger safety, but theres no way to disengage it with the same action it takes to pull the trigger, and that typically means you can shorten and lighten up the trigger as well
The biggest issue I see to grip safeties is, if for any reason you dont have a perfect grip on the gun, they often wont disengage and wont allow the gun to fire when you expect or want it too.

Even with a solid grip, if your used to having a high hold on the gun, like you do with Glocks and others that have a lower bore axis and allow a higher grip, when you pick up something like a 1911, that high grip actually forces the grip safety to engage, and again, the gun wont fire, until you change your grip.

One other thing that often seems to be forgotten, or ignored here too is, once the gun clears the holster, and/or is in your hand, all the manual safeties should be off. And that should be a natural thing on the draw or when the gun is picked up.

So whats the difference between any of them really. Once they are in your hand, all the same handling protocols are there.

The other thing often not brought up is, how often guns with manual safeties are actually reholstered and/or treated under stress. On more than a few occasions, Ive seen things like 1911's reholstered without the safety being engaged, and things like SIG's reholstered without being decocked.

And wheres all the horror and outrage there? To me, thats a lot scarier and unsafe, especially in the hands of people relying on things they obviously arent competent enough to use, than a Glock in its natural state.

The biggest danger with ANY of them, is a person who isnt willing to put in the time and effort required to actually learn the gun they use, to the point of doing so properly, without thought.

And the more guns of different types you do that with, the more understanding and experience youre going to have, and the better off you, and the rest of us are going to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 12:34 PM
What?

Quote:
they are pretty cool pistols.. i wouldnt mind seeing a clone of them at least, or maybe someone implement the idea into something new.. and you could probably get lever pieces with or without finger grooves and with different checkering patterns as well if there was aftermarket for such a thing
The biggest issue I saw with the P7's was, its manual of arms pretty much requires you to dedicate yourself to that gun. They arent something to use, if youre one to have a different "carry of the day".

That cocking motion on the draw has to be instilled into your brain, or youre going to have problems. You also have to make sure your finger isnt on the trigger if you drop the slide on a loaded mag with the lever.

They are great guns, and extremely accurate, probably the most accurate handgun Ive owned, but they are a bit different and do require a little extra effort if you dont have experience with them.

One thing I saw a lot with people who shot mine was, they would release their grip after each shot, and then the gun wouldnt fire. There was often a lot of confusion, and that was from people who considered themselves "gun people" too.

And of course, like Glocks, you heard all the ignorant complaints and untruths about them, from those who had zero experience with them, but of course, knew everything about them. Funny how that works, eh?
Old 06-22-2019, 01:32 PM
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
The biggest issue I see to grip safeties is, if for any reason you dont have a perfect grip on the gun, they often wont disengage and wont allow the gun to fire when you expect or want it too.

Even with a solid grip, if your used to having a high hold on the gun, like you do with Glocks and others that have a lower bore axis and allow a higher grip, when you pick up something like a 1911, that high grip actually forces the grip safety to engage, and again, the gun wont fire, until you change your grip.

One other thing that often seems to be forgotten, or ignored here too is, once the gun clears the holster, and/or is in your hand, all the manual safeties should be off. And that should be a natural thing on the draw or when the gun is picked up.

So whats the difference between any of them really. Once they are in your hand, all the same handling protocols are there.

The other thing often not brought up is, how often guns with manual safeties are actually reholstered and/or treated under stress. On more than a few occasions, Ive seen things like 1911's reholstered without the safety being engaged, and things like SIG's reholstered without being decocked.

And wheres all the horror and outrage there? To me, thats a lot scarier and unsafe, especially in the hands of people relying on things they obviously arent competent enough to use, than a Glock in its natural state.

The biggest danger with ANY of them, is a person who isnt willing to put in the time and effort required to actually learn the gun they use, to the point of doing so properly, without thought.

And the more guns of different types you do that with, the more understanding and experience youre going to have, and the better off you, and the rest of us are going to be.
i do think the 1903 pistol had a better idea for a grip safety.. if youre going to have one, put the pivot somewhere where your hand can never press and re-engage the safety, in this case the 1903 safety pivots at the very bottom of the grip
Old 06-23-2019, 12:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,057 Times in 2,797 Posts

Why not just use a low power 9mm load and maybe a different recoil spring in the 48? That would get you almost all the way there without having to wait on Glock.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:13 AM
59840 - could fix a lot

Quote:
Grip safety works well enough- the EZ is not targeted at gun people so it's likely seen as an advantage - the cool kids of course will bisch about them but it works quite well
Old 06-23-2019, 08:20 AM
59840 - could fix a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSierraCharlie View Post
I'd like to see a Glock carbine or rifle. Like Hi-Point, but better.
doubt glock has much interest in that area - they know their wheel house and are well focused on producing best in class in that space