Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-16-2019, 01:13 PM
Layman

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,351 Posts
Default 357 for prepping?

Advertise Here

what makes the 357 better for preppers than other calibers?

I've been looking at the kimber k6s.
I like that it is small and concealable, I was also wanting to take it out hunting and just it for personal protection out in the woods.

I was just wondering why some people and preppers choose the 357 over autoloaders.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Sloth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 01:20 PM
Hiker

A snubby is in my opinion not a prepper gun but a PD/SD hideout gun. I love my 38/357 handguns and will take those over any auto loader. If I am preparing for an emergency and it may be long term I don't want something that chunks my unreplaceable brass off in the weeds. And I don't envision all these big running gun battles like some do.

A 357 is a great choice for an emergency gun but I want one that I can hit a deer or other game out to at least 40 yards every time. So a 4-6" barrel is better for me.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 01:25 PM
Hiker

Well I don't know about others, but I have several .357 because I love the cartridge load hot load it mild heck stuff a .38spl case with a couple grains of powder and a wadcutter and even a small child can handle it. It will almost always go BANG and if it doesn't just pull the trigger again, drop it in the mud and it's easier to clean too.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GKII For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 01:34 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 22,421 Times in 8,385 Posts

I suggest you go and shoot a small 357 before you buy. - they aren't a lot of fun. I have a model 60 S&W and it's fine for a 38 Special. Back when I shot a lot I could do one gallon milk jugs at 100 yards with it. I could do the same jugs at 200 yards with the 10 5/8 inch barrels on my 29's. My Sis has the Lady Smith in 357 and its PIA with 357.

If you have a dud round, a double action wheel gun is the fastest to correct. I think its almost unheard of a revolver going off accidentally. I love the trigger pulls on my Smith's.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 01:34 PM
What?

Thanked 10,449 Times in 4,257 Posts

If I were to choose a 357 for an overall gun, I would go with something with a 4" barrel, and probably one of the 7 shooters on a K/L frame, or maybe even an 8 shooter ion an N frame.

I dont think the Kimber, or any of the other snubbies would be a good choice for an "all around" type gun. Probably be OK for a back up to the main gun though. If a 357 snubbie is what you want, and you havent already done so, Id HIGHLY suggest you find one and shoot it with magnum loads before you buy.

The smaller, lighter guns often recommended, are really not a beginners gun, and can be, and are, pretty brutal to shoot. A lot of people seem to complain about them in the larger guns as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 01:46 PM
Trapper

I just picked up a Ruger Blackhawk last night in .357 and I love the weight and feel. And for me its the option to load with lead rounds and black powder if I have too. And then there is the snakeshot for fishing, which I do a lot of and the fact I can hunt with the round in my state.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lost Woods Survival For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 01:48 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
what makes the 357 better for preppers than other calibers?

I've been looking at the kimber k6s.
I like that it is small and concealable, I was also wanting to take it out hunting and just it for personal protection out in the woods.

I was just wondering why some people and preppers choose the 357 over autoloaders.
Nothing. I have 4 .357's and I would choose the 10MM any day, all day long without hesistation over any of my .357's. The .357 snub nosed revolvers are a poor choice. Tool much blast and recoil for the muzzle velocity delivered. You are better off with a 9mm revolver if you really need that added velocity over a .38 spl.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:55 PM
Awesome

Thanked 22,013 Times in 7,333 Posts

i mean.. i could give you reasons why it wouldnt be my first choice for a go-to caliber
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 02:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,105 Times in 1,440 Posts

I agree with the others. The K6s is not a prepper gun. You want a 4" barrel max for concealing, and a 6" barrel min for hunting. The round is very versatile, but the gun isn't always.

If you look around you can find used Dan Wessons with a few barrels reasonable. I paid $600 for mine a few years ago and it came with 4', 6", and 8" barrels. They made them from 2"-10" (or maybe 12?) anyway it would still be a compromise because of frame size it would be hard to conceal, but is still fairly versatile.

I guess I'm trying to say that the round is great, but you may have a hard time finding just the right gun that you are comfortable filling several different needs with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 02:40 PM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 3,879 Times in 1,613 Posts

The only advantage to a .357 Magnum is you can shoot .38 Special and you can get a lever action rifle chambered in the .357 Magnum.

You can get a carbine/pistol combo in 40/9/45 or lever/pistol in 45 Colt/44 Magnum.

(there are other obsolete cowboy action rounds for lever/pistol as well)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Prepared

.357 could be good for hunting, bear defense or long distance. But, if you’re considering it as a self defense gun, I suggest you get some training. As in a class. I think you’ll find out that you’ll quickly be left behind unless you’re running moon clips and are close to Jerry Michulek. You see, the autos are thinner, much higher capacity and their ammunition loading devices are thinner. Less power, but more capacity. If you’re taking on 2-3 attackers, that might be tough with 5-6 rounds.

But, you do you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glockpride For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 05:49 PM
Awesome

Thanked 22,013 Times in 7,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockpride View Post
.357 could be good for hunting, bear defense or long distance. But, if you’re considering it as a self defense gun, I suggest you get some training. As in a class. I think you’ll find out that you’ll quickly be left behind unless you’re running moon clips and are close to Jerry Michulek. You see, the autos are thinner, much higher capacity and their ammunition loading devices are thinner. Less power, but more capacity. If you’re taking on 2-3 attackers, that might be tough with 5-6 rounds.

But, you do you.
"more power" is about the only argument for .357, which one must ask if that added power is even useful or beneficial?.. i would say no, because with the same placement a .357 isnt going to kill where a 9mm fails, but you will be doing with a lot more recoil as well which is going to limit follow-up shot speed and accuracy, while yielding no tangible benefit on a per shot basis
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 07:17 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,399 Times in 5,031 Posts

I've owned/own snubbies in a number of calibers. 38spl and 357 being chief among them.

IME, a 2" 357 is no real gain over a 38spl +P in the same barrel. You do gain noise, flash, and recoil. Not positives.

357 is a good prep round in that it's versatile and fairly easy to reload. Plus you can get revolvers, lever and bolt guns, even autos (though rare) in it.
If you can shoot 357's, you can almost always shoot 38's. If case length difference is an issue, it's not hard to load 357 brass to 38spl power.

With the right 357 round you can have a very effective mid size mammal hunting round. A very effective anti personnel round is also easy to find in the magnums. Heck, even shot rounds for small game.

All that said, the K6, while probably a fine pistol, is just a niche player in the prepper scenario.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:31 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 39,536 Times in 9,466 Posts

I'd say it's a great option to have

You can load it mild to wild and many different bullet choices whether it be wadcutters to flat nose to hollow points with out worrying about function

You can even load shot shells

You have a snub? 38 specials or +P rounds work great, add some barrel length and you can shoot anything thru it

9mm's don't punch thru windshields very well, 357 mags do! In fact they'll punch thru engine blocks although I doubt you'd need to do that but regardless, they'll get penetration where your semi auto cartridges won't
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 08:38 PM
Curmudgeon in training

I like revolvers and carry one every day. Currently my pocket piece is a .357 Magnum Smith and Wesson Military & Police 340 PD. It is loaded with .357 Magnum 125 grain JHPs.

I have qualified with it using magnums but it just plain hurts to shoot. On the other hand the .357 is more powerful than most any .38 Special +P. Most of my shooting with the gun is in .38 Special. It is a specific personal defense revolver and NOT my choice for prepping.

My "working" guns for prepping are Smith and Wesson Model 19 Combat Magnums. The 4" barrel is my old police revolver and current woods gun with a 6" model for fun and hunting. At my age these are rationalizations more than actual preps. I also have a brace of .44 Magnums. A 6" 629 and a 4" 629 Mountain Gun. These too are versatile weapons for the woods walk and hunting.

I could be quite happy with a 4" model 19 as my only handgun since it is so versatile and suitable for defense as well as field work. Not the best fighting handgun but can easily keep up with most if the wielder is a competent pistolero.

The Kimber you fancy could be a great addition to a working battery but in my opinion not the best option if you are looking for a general purpose revolver. I prefer older "no lock" Smith and Wesson's for my revolver needs but still keep a Glock 22 close as a belt pistol for social work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FotoTomas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,625 Times in 621 Posts

.357 Mag is a favorite of the prepper/survivalist crowd for many reasons, including power, ability to fire lighter .38 spl. ammo and the ubiquity of the cartridge. Like the .30-30, .30-06 and 12 ga., every oldtimer has a .357 or .38 spl. revolver and some ammo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigg777 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 08:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,249 Times in 2,702 Posts

VERSATILITY Easy to load in a variety of power levels from popgun 103gr, to real man stoppers and even light big game at short range. ECONOMICAL it works well with cast lead bullets, and it can be light loaded for training with 3gr of powder. WIDE VARIETY OF GUNS from flyweight snubbies (better with 38sp.) to all sizes of revolvers, to good rifles.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 08:56 AM
Pusher of brooms

Better?
For me the answer is more options. So many possible power levels and bullet options in factory ammo. Then there's handloads.

The bigger bores require bigger guns. There is little a good .357/4" can't do. A Smith 19 or 66, a Ruger Security/Service/Speed Six or a Colt .357 are hard to beat in everything except capacity.

For a lot of years, a smoothed up Smith 19 was the truck gun of choice, at least for handguns. Long before I had heard of a BOB, it was part of the emergency kit, and saw a lot of use for impromptu hunting trips, informal plinking and as a loaner when someone needed something quick.

Still an excellent choice.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:57 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,682 Times in 1,792 Posts

.357 mag is even better if you reload
You can still get crazy, way beyond .38 Special +P power in short barrels
I do not enjoy full power .357 in small light guns and load wadcutters
I know people who can tolerate. 357 SAAMI spec loads in 12 ounce guns
Way beyond me
As a prepper gun, as noted, there is ammunition everywhere
And again, if you reload, it is sweet
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 10:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,229 Times in 1,855 Posts

I look at 357 as the perfect round. I have pistol and rifles. I have 357 max contender barrels. I reload and mould my own projectiles. A 158 gr SWC loaded warm for hunting or social work and a wadcutter for small game or plinking. The max does need a heavier projectile. Everyone has their own favorite round and a justification for it. If one is looking for a round, listen to the people who actually shoot and not just armchair warriors. I have more than one pistol. From 22lr to 454 casull. I tend to carry a Ruger 357 bolt rifle for most of my deer hunting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post: