Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-18-2019, 04:41 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,829 Times in 5,140 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
i wish there were better modern carry options for a .32 than a crummy keltec though
Mine's been 100%. It's not a target gun by any means, but goes bang every time. There are ten round mags too, and I usually carry one as a reload.

The real limiter is the sights. They're rudimentary, at best. But IMHO, it's a belly gun, as in, I stick in the BG's belly (or his ear...) and pull the trigger till the threat goes away.
It'd also work fine for covering fire while I unass the AO if there was a mass shooting event or something. Being able to return fire turns a shooting gallery into a two way range. Big difference.

If you want something almost as small and better quality, I have a Seecamp in 32ACP too. It's heavier, and wider, but very nice quality. My Beretta Tomcat is another great option for the caliber, but again, a little larger and heavier.
The KT makes great sense for me to carry as it's tiny and really light. Perfect for scrubs.

I also have a Kahr CM9 for a small 9mm option. Shoots like a much larger gun. A CM380 is really tiny too, want to get one but I have no real need for it, like that's ever stopped me...
(Not sure if I remember correctly, but maybe you had a bad Kahr experienence?).
Old 06-18-2019, 05:00 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,011 Times in 446 Posts

Quote:
the 32 you may be able to get away with a lighter frame, im not sure how id feel about the reliability of them being recoil operated like the kel tec.. i'd have to look into the beretta or the seecamp as alternatives, but if i was going to carry a .32 i'd likely end up doing so with a CZ70
The Kel-Tec is not a fixed barrel that is recoil operated. It has the same short recoil Browning design lock up as most of the larger guns like a Glock and 1911.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kel-Tec_P-32

The Kel-Tec 32 I owned was a very nice soft shooting gun. The only reason I sold it was because I didn't like the two tone look with the silver slide and black frame. I wish I hadn't done that.

The Walther/Manhurin PP I own is heavier than the Kel-Tec by 15 oz and is a blow back design but is a ***** cat to shoot because of the extra weight. A nice, flat easy to carry gun.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 05:12 PM
Hiker

Quote:
The later post-1960 manufacture steel-frame Colt Detective Special or Police Positive in .32 Colt New Police and the post-1957 S&W Models 30 and 31 will stand up to high volume use of heavier loads, approaching .32 H&R Magnum levels, whereas the alloy-frame Cobra or Agent, old S&W Hand Ejectors and prewar Colts will not.
Nice post Outpost75. I have three S&W 32 long revolvers. All new made guns. I have two model 30-1 with a 2" and a 3" barrels and a model 31-1 with a 4" barrel. The model 31 was the gun I tried shooting 32acp in and it was a total waste of ammunition. I couldn't hit a damn thing with it. So I bought dies brass and bullets and never tried 32acp again.

With proper fitting ammo its a real pleasure to shoot. And since my guns are newer I load them up closer to their potential in power. I am getting 850fps from the 2" barrel with a 94gr lead bullet. And I am still not quite up to some of the published loads I have seen for these guns. But thats good enough. Even Speer shows over 1,000fps with a 60gr bullet intended for the 32acp from a 32 long S&W revolver.

32 Long factory loads are kept at wimp loads for the really old, weak top breaks designed for BP loads that are still floating around. To really get the most from a 32 long you need to hand load.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 07:43 PM
Awesome

Thanked 22,070 Times in 7,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
The Kel-Tec is not a fixed barrel that is recoil operated. It has the same short recoil Browning design lock up as most of the larger guns like a Glock and 1911.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kel-Tec_P-32

The Kel-Tec 32 I owned was a very nice soft shooting gun. The only reason I sold it was because I didn't like the two tone look with the silver slide and black frame. I wish I hadn't done that.

The Walther/Manhurin PP I own is heavier than the Kel-Tec by 15 oz and is a blow back design but is a ***** cat to shoot because of the extra weight. A nice, flat easy to carry gun.
uuh, that "short recoil browning design" is known as recoil operated, like i pointed out.. when you go smaller and smaller in caliber, the recoil forces you have to work with become less and less as well, blowback, which uses a fixed barrel, does put more energy into a slide, and typically cycles smaller caliber pistols more reliably
Old 06-18-2019, 08:50 PM
Hiker

Yep maybe you're right. I thought you were referring to blow back operated small guns with fixed barrels and the Kel-Tec is not a fixed barrel gun or in that category.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:33 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,679 Posts

Quote:
if you want an excuse to buy something else, consider .32acp and 7.62x39 both have roughly the same bore diameter and twist rate... think chamber adapter

Chamber adapters also work firing .32 ACP as "Cat Sneeze" for small game in .303 British and 7.62x54R, using adapters from The Sportsman's Guide which I use routinely around the farm for dispatching garden varmints silently without disturbing the neighbors. They make these for .32 S&W Long also.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:51 PM
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
Chamber adapters also work firing .32 ACP as "Cat Sneeze" for small game in .303 British and 7.62x54R, using adapters from The Sportsman's Guide which I use routinely around the farm for dispatching garden varmints silently without disturbing the neighbors. They make these for .32 S&W Long also.
yeah, its about the closest ones going to get to having a .32acp rifle, but if someone can make more use out of .32acp than just a pocket gun, they'll have extra reasons to stock up on it
Old 06-19-2019, 11:01 AM
Survivor

Quote:
yeah, its about the closest ones going to get to having a .32acp rifle, but if someone can make more use out of .32acp than just a pocket gun, they'll have extra reasons to stock up on it
If you really want a .32 ACP rifle, all it takes is MONEY. I had a Remington 580 single-shot .22 converted to center-fire, the barrel relined and rechambered. I had this done when .22 ammo got scarce. Inch groups at 50 yards are normal. With full-charge loads ballistics are about like a .32-20 Winchester, but if I want "silent but deadly" I drop powder charges down to about 1 grain of Bullseye with a 100-grain bullet, which gives about 700 fps from the rifle and is no louder than an air rifle. No "can" is needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BoltFace32BunnyGun 002.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	288358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Muzzle32ACPBunnyGun 015.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	288360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rem580BunnyGun32ACP.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	288362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rem580BoltAlteredCenterfire.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	288364  
Old 06-19-2019, 11:09 AM
Awesome

Quote:
If you really want a .32 ACP rifle, all it takes is MONEY. I had a Remington 580 single-shot .22 converted to center-fire, the barrel relined and rechambered. I had this done when .22 ammo got scarce. Inch groups at 50 yards are normal. With full-charge loads ballistics are about like a .32-20 Winchester, but if I want "silent but deadly" I drop powder charges down to about 1 grain of Bullseye with a 100-grain bullet, which gives about 700 fps from the rifle and is no louder than an air rifle.
i dont think it'd be that hard to use a leinad/cobray derringer type of action to put a 18" barrel and a shoulder stock onto for a single shot .32acp rifle that would also be lighter, and possibly easier to break down for a compact survival rifle.. but i think the benefit of .32acp is you dont need to shoot it out of a rifle to do what a .22lr needs a rifle to do, a leinad/cobray with a 6" barrel for a longer sight radius would be plenty
Old 06-19-2019, 02:28 PM
Just One More Gun

Quote:
If you really want a .32 ACP rifle, all it takes is MONEY. I had a Remington 580 single-shot .22 converted to center-fire, the barrel relined and rechambered. I had this done when .22 ammo got scarce. Inch groups at 50 yards are normal. With full-charge loads ballistics are about like a .32-20 Winchester, but if I want "silent but deadly" I drop powder charges down to about 1 grain of Bullseye with a 100-grain bullet, which gives about 700 fps from the rifle and is no louder than an air rifle. No "can" is needed.
Quote:
i dont think it'd be that hard to use a leinad/cobray derringer type of action to put a 18" barrel and a shoulder stock onto for a single shot .32acp rifle that would also be lighter, and possibly easier to break down for a compact survival rifle.. but i think the benefit of .32acp is you dont need to shoot it out of a rifle to do what a .22lr needs a rifle to do, a leinad/cobray with a 6" barrel for a longer sight radius would be plenty
Would be a fun "why not" gun.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:04 PM
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat In The Woods View Post
Would be a fun "why not" gun.
are you interested in a survival/hunting pistol or rifle in the caliber to get more use out of .32?
Old 06-19-2019, 09:43 PM
Pusher of brooms

Quote:
I think either one costs more than my truck...
J

Quote:
Good guns, but highly collectible and pricey!

_
That's funny in hindsight, I had a Detective Special .32 that I literally ended up giving away to s friends aunt about 20 years ago. No one wanted it because it was a .32.

I was considering punching it out to .32 Mag, but didn't.
Like some other toys, it went away for something with a lot less style and class.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,377 Times in 6,808 Posts

Quote:
That's one of the problems with the micro 380s in my mind. The cartridge is being shoehorned into guns too small for it. I got my mom a Bersa 380, which is too big for pocket carry, but soaks up recoil pretty well. But it's bigger than my dad's Shield 9, so give and take.
I have a Hi Point .380...itís very, very easy on the hands. But not a pocket carry gun at all.
Also have the Bersa single stack, I agree, itís easy to shoot.

Both are really, really, accurate.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:09 PM
Just One More Gun

Quote:
are you interested in a survival/hunting pistol or rifle in the caliber to get more use out of .32?
Not right now. But the idea sounds fun just to play with.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:52 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,347 Times in 9,639 Posts

Quote:
I use my 32 HR as a kit gun during camping and fishing trips in the local woods.
While not a perfect choice for self defense, it performs alright if you handload suitable bullets.
It works very well for eatible small game, and Its fun and light wt enough for informal plinking.

Good to hear that you already handload ammo.

Kit guns
Kit guns are multi-purpose utility handguns, intended to be used for small game hunting, plinking, pest control, even self defense. They are generally small, lightweight,.22 rimfire, or 32 centerfire revolvers, designed to be easily packed in a hunting, camping or fishing "kit".They are ideally suited for shooting snake shot.at snakes, rodents, birds, and other pest at very close range. They are also commonly used to slaughter animals, euthanase animals or provide the coup de gr‚ce by hunters and fisherme.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:01 AM
Hiker

imho a ruger lcp in 32acp would sell like hot cakes. i prefer handling the lcp over a naa guardian 32acp but not shooting the lcp in 380acp. not at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2019, 09:58 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstert View Post
imho a ruger lcp in 32acp would sell like hot cakes. i prefer handling the lcp over a naa guardian 32acp but not shooting the lcp in 380acp. not at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ruger has no plans to do so, as they sell all of the .380s they can make.

Shooting full-up .380 ACP is no problem in the Ruger LCP if you use the Hogue grip sleeve.

I have it on both of mine, makes a BIG difference!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HogueGripSleeveOnLCP 003.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	288432  
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 03:16 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Ruger has no plans to do so, as they sell all of the .380s they can make.

Shooting full-up .380 ACP is no problem in the Ruger LCP if you use the Hogue grip sleeve.

I have it on both of mine, makes a BIG difference!

indeed the ruger lcp in 380acp sells well. as always ymmv: with or without the hogue grip sleeve many folks find it to be just fine, but others donít. iím not suggesting that ruger discontinue its popular lcp in 380acp, but adding 32acp, perhaps even 22lr, would bring more buyers to ruger, which already successfully follows this business model by offering its fine lcr revolver platform in a variety of caliber choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2019, 04:00 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstert View Post
indeed the ruger lcp in 380acp sells well. as always ymmv: with or without the hogue grip sleeve many folks find it to be just fine, but others don’t. i’m not suggesting that ruger discontinue its popular lcp in 380acp, but adding 32acp, perhaps even 22lr, would bring more buyers to ruger, which already successfully follows this business model by offering its fine lcr revolver platform in a variety of caliber choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I expect that Ruger has already done the research on that and knowing that the bulk of the market potential for the LCP is the US civilian concealed carry market, potential European sales being very limited due to the nature of their permitting systems, there is not enough volume to support producing another model in .32 ACP. The foibles of .32 ACP pistols being what they are, if they made the gun reliable and durable with Euro-CIP ammunition, it would be the Jam-O-Matic with US wimpy lawyer JHP loads. If the mechanism were properly balanced for US .32 ammo, the gun would probably beat itself to death in about 1000 rounds of firing Euro-CIP ammo, exactly as happens to the Beretta Tomcat.

I used to work in Ruger's engineering dept. back in the 1980s. I know their thought process. When attending trade shows the instructions given were to answer technical questions without revealing proprietary information and to sell what is in the catalog, not to think up new models. If you approached me at SHOT as a " big" distributor and asked me the question, I would have been instructed to say, "Sure, it takes a million $ order, cash up front," and they would be happy to make LCPs in .32 ACP for you. But that isn't happening.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:21 PM
Awesome

Quote:
if you want to talk about hypothetical gun build ideas, i am always up for that