Let's Talk About Old School Pre-1985 .357 Magnum Revolvers - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-14-2019, 08:02 PM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 3,867 Times in 1,610 Posts

Advertise Here

This thread needs more cowbell

Model 19-3

Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
I'd rather listen to the report of almost any other round without ear protection than I would the .357 with plugs and muffs. The sharpness of the .357 mag just drills to the center of my skull every time, and I don't know why it's worse than every other round out there.

That being said, I passed up on a nickel plated Python my uncle had. Couldn't come up with enough jingle to make it happen. But it would have been a nice one to have around.
The only one I've tried with a worse report and muzzle blast is the Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. Ouch.
The Following User Says Thank You to NVSeabee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2019, 10:11 PM
Curmudgeon in training

Yesterday and today I ran the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) 40 round qualification course multiple times using .357 Magnum, 125 grain JHPs, .38+P 125 grain JHPs, .38 130 grain ball and .38 158 grain LRN. They went through a Smith and Wesson M19-4 and a M19-5 as well as a Model 10-6 and a M65 with a three inch barrel. The 10-6 is a factory .357 Magnum (not .38 special) heavy barrel version before it became the Model 13.

I also had a Model 15 2" and a K38 6" and a regular .38 Model 10 4" in the bunch plus a 638 and a 340PD. It was revolver day for me.

I love my traditional no lock Smith revolvers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FotoTomas For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 08:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,685 Times in 1,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
What do you have? What do you wish you had (Besides a Colt Python)? What have you seen that you like?

I have 4:

Colt .357 with 4 inch barrel

Colt Trooper (1958 production)

Western Marshal (Colt 1873 clone made by Sauer & Sohn, West Germany)

Dan Wesson Model 15 (Monson, 6 inch removeable barrel)
I have these three. The Python becuase its a Python and two Manurhin MR73 4" and 5 1/4" because they are simply the best revolver ever made, certainly the best combat 357 magnum revolver.

Wish I had? A 4" MR73 just like the one I have but with its 9mm cylinder. Would still use 357 of course, but to be able to shoot 9mm as well would be the cherry on top as a survival firearm.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:08 PM

1980 - county PD friend asked dept. armorers for recommendation for new license holder (me). They recommended a 'new' company called Ruger - they had a .357 for testing and after 2 years of daily full-house loads found no ( as in zero) stretching or loosening of frame, crane, throat, etc. To this day my Security-Six looks new-in-box and is as tight as the day I got it.
The Following User Says Thank You to dadsbear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 08:45 PM
In Peace as in War

Three S&W Model 28-2’s (6” bbl), a S&W Model 27-2 (6” bbl), a S&W Model 19-4 (4” bbl), and a Colt Python (4” bbl).
Old 06-26-2019, 09:05 PM
Prepared

Nightvisionary, I realize that you are on a "Time-Out". But you do realize that the reason why S&W + Colt revolvers where not replaced by Dan Wesson Revolvers was due to the many man hours of training that it would have taken to familiarize beat the street LEO's to utilize thier left hand functioning the forward crane vice thier right thumb dropping the cylinder? It seems trivial, until it's a life or death training scenario/situation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NAC/NSW/CAC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 10:33 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,091 Posts

My all around weapon of choice is my Security Six w/ 4" barrel. I don't reload so what is considered the best easily available .357 round for SD and HD?
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 05:01 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,171 Times in 334 Posts

O.W. Wilson in his well used by police departments across the country, book "Police Administration" listed requirements for the Service Revolver. "It should be heavy, so that it can be used as a club if necessary".

I was issued a 4 Inch Model 28 when I hired on the Anchorage Police Dept in 1974. (They let me keep it when I retired, I have it today).

We had a lot of large animals calls and the 357 with heavy loads were quite effective in handling those calls. I had to dispatch several moose involved in Moose-Vehicle accidents, Never having to shoot one twice.

The picture below was one I shot while attacking my patrol car.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kraigwy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 10:32 PM
Curmudgeon in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
My all around weapon of choice is my Security Six w/ 4" barrel. I don't reload so what is considered the best easily available .357 round for SD and HD?
In my opinion the Remington .357 Magnum, 125 grain jacketed hollow point as sold in 50 round boxes at Walmart is the best option for my needs. It is my go to cartridge for home or self defense if a revolver is involved. My Smith and Wesson M&P 340 in my pocket is loaded with that round as I type.

Powerful, accurate, easily obtained for a decent price and quite a reputation as a hard hitting stopper.

Other brands of the same basic cartridge by Winchester, Federal and others are as good but in my area the Remington is the easiest to find and purchase. That would be my recommendation for the "best easily available .357"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FotoTomas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 09:17 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,809 Times in 1,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC/NSW/CAC View Post
Nightvisionary, I realize that you are on a "Time-Out". But you do realize that the reason why S&W + Colt revolvers where not replaced by Dan Wesson Revolvers was due to the many man hours of training that it would have taken to familiarize beat the street LEO's to utilize thier left hand functioning the forward crane vice thier right thumb dropping the cylinder? It seems trivial, until it's a life or death training scenario/situation.
We approved them for a time, but found that the barrels would come loose after bouncing around in the holsters all day long, and not everyone was diligent enough to check them.

The Following User Says Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 09:42 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,809 Times in 1,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTomas View Post
In my opinion the Remington .357 Magnum, 125 grain jacketed hollow point as sold in 50 round boxes at Walmart is the best option for my needs. It is my go to cartridge for home or self defense if a revolver is involved. My Smith and Wesson M&P 340 in my pocket is loaded with that round as I type.

Powerful, accurate, easily obtained for a decent price and quite a reputation as a hard hitting stopper.
A reputation largely invented and fostered by gunwriters and fictional "study" authors..... It wasn't the light switch the myths say it was. All of the good current loads, in any of the LE calibers, will do better.

Unfortunately, we're going to be stuck with that myth for quite a while, as the internet continues to regurgitate it.

But if you're competent with .357 in your 340, than you're better off than most, as obviously you are a very skilled shooter.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 10:26 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinID View Post
A reputation largely invented and fostered by gunwriters and fictional "study" authors..... It wasn't the light switch the myths say it was. All of the good current loads, in any of the LE calibers, will do better.

Unfortunately, we're going to be stuck with that myth for quite a while, as the internet continues to regurgitate it.

But if you're competent with .357 in your 340, than you're better off than most, as obviously you are a very skilled shooter.

357 magnum being a proven stopper is a myth?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 11:38 AM
What?

Thanked 10,444 Times in 4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
357 magnum being a proven stopper is a myth?
I think hes referring to the 125 grain load that was supposed to be the Sword of Todd and has gained mythical status.

Personally, I like the 158 grain loads better myself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 02:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,026 Times in 1,884 Posts

In the 80's, 125GR HP loads were supposed to be 96% one shot stoppers. They weren't.
Enthusiast magazines of the day "knew" this anecdotally. There were several books published that let you know what percentage of 1 shot stops you could expect with available ammunition. These books, pretty much, were BS.
The Following User Says Thank You to steve marshall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 05:23 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve marshall View Post
In the 80's, 125GR HP loads were supposed to be 96% one shot stoppers. They weren't.
Enthusiast magazines of the day "knew" this anecdotally. There were several books published that let you know what percentage of 1 shot stops you could expect with available ammunition. These books, pretty much, were BS.
The 125gr JHP at 1400 PFS is the reason why the 357SIG exists. By all accounts, an excellent round. I see how a heavy 158gr round makes sense when you want more penetration, good choice for hunting, but what makes you thing the efficiency of the 125gr 357 magnum is BS?
The Following User Says Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 05:33 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,577 Times in 1,587 Posts

When the NIJ tested the available .38/.357 loads back in 1983, using the best test methodology then available, the 125-grain JHP loads by Remington and Federal were among the very best performers of all loads in all calibers tested.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/Publicatio....aspx?ID=93839

Access the entire report if you like.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:51 PM
Target Shooter

Default I was a Deputy Sheriff

I carried a Model 686 S&W 357 Mag Revolver and two speed loaders.

We were required to draw and fire six rounds into a silhouette, reload and fire six more rounds into the silhouette at 21 feet in thirty seconds with no misses.

We then were required to draw and fire the same sequence again using only our weak side hand with no misses .

It took practice to master the off hand draw and reload but it was required in the event your strong side was disabled in a fight.

There were officers who could do this much faster than thirty seconds.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:56 PM
Target Shooter

Default As for the man stoper myth

As for the "man stoper " myth any round is a potential man stoper if it is a centerline hit.

Two centerline hits from any caliber is even better !
Old 06-30-2019, 06:00 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 6,965 Times in 3,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
As for the "man stoper " myth any round is a potential man stoper if it is a centerline hit.

Two centerline hits from any caliber is even better !
I'd rather not depend on pin point accuracy of a .22lr or 9 Mike Mike, when I can use a round of greater mass and velocity that will dissuade even the most determined attackers.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post: