M1a mag pouches - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 06-03-2019, 04:25 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,467 Times in 5,589 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Jon View Post
I don't know your level of experience but I feel like chest rigs are being overused and glamorized. They are heavy and I personally hate them if I have to march very far, especially in hot environments. They allow a wearer to pile way too much stuff directly over their chest, which can easily get in the way or make it difficult to go prone.
I agree with that. A chest rig can be great but it's way too easy to overload it. I normally try to keep mine very minimalist, with 3 double mag pouches, normally with only a single mag in each one, plus an IFAK on one side and maybe a small misc pouch on the other side, and you can stick a knife in there somewhere. (If you're going shooting, you should probably have an IFAK). In every case, I use mag pouches that cover the tops and close with either velcro or a sturdy buckle.

I think the simple Condor MOLLE panel rigs (without pouches) are great for the money and cheap enough to build a few different types. I use milsurp MOLLE pouches for them all.

I personally found that I can carry weight more easily on my shoulders than on my hips, so that's why I like the chest rigs. I try to wear one when I go plinking to get used to it, but I can do that on my property so I don't have to look like a mall ninja in public, LOL.

Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 06:35 PM
Shade Tree Gynecologist

Thanked 6,722 Times in 2,267 Posts

I have a replica SA chest rig that works pretty well
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SCPigpen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 06:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,123 Times in 3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
I agree with that. A chest rig can be great but it's way too easy to overload it. I normally try to keep mine very minimalist, with 3 double mag pouches, normally with only a single mag in each one, plus an IFAK on one side and maybe a small misc pouch on the other side, and you can stick a knife in there somewhere. (If you're going shooting, you should probably have an IFAK). In every case, I use mag pouches that cover the tops and close with either velcro or a sturdy buckle.

I think the simple Condor MOLLE panel rigs (without pouches) are great for the money and cheap enough to build a few different types. I use milsurp MOLLE pouches for them all.

I personally found that I can carry weight more easily on my shoulders than on my hips, so that's why I like the chest rigs. I try to wear one when I go plinking to get used to it, but I can do that on my property so I don't have to look like a mall ninja in public, LOL.
Actually, chest rigs are best suited to patrols where you're using a pack with proper suspension (that is, using a good waist belt system). I do agree as well that some chest rigs are overly large. I've gone in the opposite direction such as the Spiritus Micro or Haley Strategic Mirco chest rigs (only 2 to 4 .308 magazines depending on how it's configured). I do distance backpacking with a Hill People Gear Kit Bag (and in higher temps/humidity), so a smaller profile is better, but still a very viable system as a chest platform.

Going prone can be a concern, but with the smaller profiles and chest rigs, it's much easier. My speed-reload is on my belt anyways, so it's a moot point about reloading...getting low is the key, so the single-mag layer pouches are more preferred.

ROCK6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 01:06 AM
Trapper

This is how I carry my mags. I'm probably not operator or tactical enough but it works for me.

I can fit 5 of almost any type of magazine in the range of 20-30 rounds into each pouch. Including 5, 25 round cmi magazines but I stick to the 20 rounders.

You can add a little of whatever beneath each magazine and stagger their heights as well and make extraction super easy. Also even unbuckled the weight alone keeps the magazines seated in the pouch. They just work great slung and out of the way until you need them.

Of course its not optimal but I plan to be in no fire fight if at all possible and if I am I'd seek cover and I think I'd have the means to use the pouch accordingly.

Oh and here is a little tidbit those pouches are only like $3-4 each from sgammo in bulk. I buy 10-15 at a time then take them to a public laundromat and wash them all with white vinegar to take care of the musk.

Cheap and easy access to magazines for you and your flock at any time.

P.S. My 5.56x45 have 4 cell pouches zip tied to the back for a total of 270 rounds in one to go bag pouch.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Plagued707 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 09:58 AM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 2,837 Times in 853 Posts

^^^^Now I like those!^^^^

I'm big on the "grab and go" tactic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jlrhiner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 04:40 PM
Not a Commie

Thanked 1,520 Times in 670 Posts

Amazon delivers the world.
https://www.amazon.com/CONDOR-OUTDOO.../dp/B005E0YGII
Old 06-09-2019, 05:18 PM
Shade Tree Gynecologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagued707 View Post

This is how I carry my mags. I'm probably not operator or tactical enough but it works for me.

I can fit 5 of almost any type of magazine in the range of 20-30 rounds into each pouch. Including 5, 25 round cmi magazines but I stick to the 20 rounders.

You can add a little of whatever beneath each magazine and stagger their heights as well and make extraction super easy. Also even unbuckled the weight alone keeps the magazines seated in the pouch. They just work great slung and out of the way until you need them.

Of course its not optimal but I plan to be in no fire fight if at all possible and if I am I'd seek cover and I think I'd have the means to use the pouch accordingly.

Oh and here is a little tidbit those pouches are only like $3-4 each from sgammo in bulk. I buy 10-15 at a time then take them to a public laundromat and wash them all with white vinegar to take care of the musk.

P.S. My 5.56x45 have 4 cell pouches zip tied to the back for a total of 270 rounds in one to go bag pouch.
Are these the vynal ones? I just ordered 2 to try out.
The Following User Says Thank You to SCPigpen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 09:15 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 11,661 Times in 5,331 Posts

I use those.
I even set one up as a shotgun grab & go bag.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:40 PM
Shade Tree Gynecologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagued707 View Post

I ordered a couple of those pouches. They were in good shape an seem handy.

One for AR and one for AK
Old 06-16-2019, 10:20 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 26,632 Times in 8,625 Posts

Attached is a photo of me and my XM-21 sniper rifle. In those days I used the LBE system with magazine pouches that held 2 M-14 magazines in each pouch. I had 3 pouches for a total of 6 magazines I carried in that fashion. I took a 2 quart water pouch and crammed about 6 more magazines into the water pouch after putting a small split in the upper side of it. As a sniper, I carried a dozen magazines that were ready to go at any time on my person. I kept extra magazines stashed around my fighting positions at our field location.

The LBE system worked well for me over many months in a hot, tropical climate. While on a patrol one day, we came across a wild pig and I got to shoot it. We had that pig for dinner and it fed a lot of people. It tasted great.

The nice thing about the LBE system is that you can carry so much stuff on it. On mine you can see 2 smoke grenades, my scope case, canteen and other things as well. The LBE system is really quite flexible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my pig and me (1).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	288162  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 11:34 AM

Great idea to have a few spare mags
First off Thank you for your service to us and America.
My father was a soldier too WWll, Korea, and Vietnam.
Many like you are in my heart and are prayed for.
You hold a place of honor in all that you did.
Thank you
Dee
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deepins For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 12:11 PM
Trapper

Use the Rhodesian style chest rig. Puts at least 4 mags at the ready.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,936 Times in 3,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
On the "micro" side, I've been using a Spiritus Micro chest rig that holds two M1A/AR10 magazines:

For speed reloads, nothing beats an ESSTAC mag pouch on the belt:

Outside of purposeful combat, I can't think of anything that 80 rounds of .308 wouldn't be able to handle or at least provide enough firepower to break contact. I've been doing more drills with fewer magazines, focusing more on mag/ammo management. You can carry more magazines, but you only need a handful for speed reloads to keep your kit from being to bulky and cumbersome...less ammo/mags, but much faster access and more movement seems to favor survivability; unless I'm hunkered down in the bunker...

ROCK6
Im the opposite in this case.

In a highly static defense, rapid speed loads and maneuver from one position to the next are favored. ( Especially if each position has pre loaded mags in place)

In addition, the open faced design is much more prone to allowing mags to be clogged up with debris such as mud while in the low crawl, mag loss, and/ or damaged mags. ( Less crud in mags means more reliable feeding thru any rifle...especially the AR10 types)

Patrolling away from the bunker = a higher priority towards keeping them mags clean / protected/ secured.....via a pouch designed with an enclosed cover. I simply carry less mags if desired.

11B
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2019, 04:55 PM

I ordered a Rhodesian chest rig to try out and I’m sitting up an Alice style belt with suspenders. Thanks to everyone for there input and suggestions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alan45 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2019, 05:25 PM
Shade Tree Gynecologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan45 View Post
I ordered a Rhodesian chest rig to try out and Iím sitting up an Alice style belt with suspenders. Thanks to everyone for there input and suggestions.

and you spell your name correctly ... not like them other non-spellin fools
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2019-06-20 at 6.18.30 PM.png
Views:	25
Size:	523.6 KB
ID:	288378  
Old 07-31-2019, 12:55 PM
Trapper

I normally rock a 4 mag cell Rhodie chest rig and it suits my purposes quite well. Standard USGI LBE M14 or M16 pouches and belt are also used at times depending on what I have going on

Old 07-31-2019, 09:23 PM
Shade Tree Gynecologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
I normally rock a 4 mag cell Rhodie chest rig and it suits my purposes quite well. Standard USGI LBE M14 or M16 pouches and belt are also used at times depending on what I have going on

look familiar?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190731_214757.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	290118  
The Following User Says Thank You to SCPigpen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 09:34 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,046 Times in 3,111 Posts

Don't know about m1A but on my M4 I had them stomach high from my 8 to my 4 on my plate carrier.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2019, 09:42 PM
Shade Tree Gynecologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
Don't know about m1A but on my M4 I had them stomach high from my 8 to my 4 on my plate carrier.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Since 308 is so much more powerful than 556, I only need 4 mags.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SCPigpen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 09:58 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPigpen View Post
look familiar?
Looks like the two I have

The Following User Says Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post: