Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BOV Chemical/Biologic Protection ? 72Malibu Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 38 06-03-2019 05:51 PM
Rugged Vehicle vs Plastic Vehicle InOmaha Vehicles & Transportation 35 02-06-2018 12:41 PM
Signs that a bug-out or SHTF is imminent? zooeyhll Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 147 12-19-2017 05:28 PM
Water Sources Around The Bug Out Location AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 07-31-2017 09:30 AM
Computer speaker wire extension questions TxHannah The Tech Zone 14 07-03-2017 04:45 PM

Old 05-15-2019, 01:00 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 62,782 Times in 19,356 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
Also how do you intend to fuel the vehicle? Diesels can be run on 100% used engine oil if you have easy access to spare injectors and are willing to take the risk of doing major damage to the engine. Gas engines are quite picky on what they will run on. Woodgas can be used to run most gas engines, even semi-modern ones with computers.
I live in Houston. Gasoline will never be an issue.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
The problem with trying to store all the computers and sensors in a modern vehicle is: are you a good enough mechanic to be certain you could get it running again after switching everything out? With older vehicles, if you can get them to spark, you can get them to run.
Yes, no problem.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:25 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,955 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
Well with all the disabled vehicles?.... lots of fuel will be available
That is assuming other vehicles still have fuel. People would still have to cook and heat their home I am sure even if vehicles didn't run people would eventually make use of the fuel in the tanks, batteries and oil.

It would also depend on what happened before the event. As an example in the Netherlands when they entered WWII they nationalized ALL fuel, including the fuel that was in your gas tank already. The fuel ran out very quickly after that. If there were an EMP at that point(assuming vehicles are affected by emp) there would be no fuel left for others to scavenge.

Also if no other vehicles are running and you have one of the few that still do you are probably painting a huge target on your back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
You have a 4.8 L. Member of the LS family. Very popular engine family. Lots of parts available. Highly interchangeable.
Hit up a pick your own part salvage yard. Or plentiful deals online at Amazon and Rock Auto

ENGINE

8 ignition coils
Cam sensor
Crank Sensor
8 fuel injectors
PCM....take to GM dealer and have it flashed
MAF sensor
4 Oxygen sensors....2 pre cat...2 post cat. Engine will run with failure..but MPG will suffer
Coolant temp sensor...same as O2 sensors...will effect MPG
Alternator and Starter
Fuel pump

Assorted relays...

I’m guessing you have Automatic transmission...
Shift solenoids
Range Selector switch
Pressure control solenoid
Output speed sensor

Body Control Module... programmed by dealer

Good set of wiring Schematics.... code reader ....

The LS engine is very popular... and has a wide interchange ability. Tons of spare parts to be found. How many miles on it now?

My 2005 has 230,000 miles on it.
Yes, 4.8 L auto transmission + 4wd lever range shifter on the floor, LS 4 big doors, crew cab I think its called.
45,000 miles, sits in the garage 99.9% of the time. The guy that changes the oil yells at me to drive it more. My car is the main driver. Truck was for pulling the boat, which I finally disposed of.

Changed all the fluids (oil, rear end, diff after Harvey and had all the grease fittings greased. Basically still a new truck. Changed the coolant a couple yrs ago. Put a new serpentine belt and idler arm on it 2 yrs ago when the idler started squeeking a little. Put aftermarket speakers in the doors. Man, GM provides the crappiest speakers.
New tires, new heavier duty shocks. Pretty basic truck though compared to the pimped out trucks they make these days.
Changed the battery after about 9 years. it was still good! I just figured it had to be time to replace it. The replacement died after a couple years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 03:55 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 8,731 Times in 3,238 Posts

Dodge truck with a 12V Cummins. Everything needed to make it run is mechanical.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 05:25 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdog02 View Post
Simple and easy guys. Find a used VW bug that is damn near fool proof for fixing and runs without issue. Or don't, there are others but the bug is a great vehicle to learn how to fix and twist a wrench on. It's affordable and fun.
Yeah, a 1600cc in the pancake design, easily changed coil, points, rotor & condenser. The 009 distributor doesn't even need vacuum advance, although the one that came with the Auto-stick tranny was good. Dual carbs aren't too much of a pain but would allow the engine to not stick up so much. More than one semi-baja configuration had a small flat-bed above the motor. Taller front tires and a bus-style transaxle with the reduction gears would give pretty good ground clearance. A remote oil filter adds capacity and aids in reducing heat build up in the air cooled engine. It ain't hard to double the gas tank capacity in the front.
As stated, an easy vehicle to learn to maintain and repair.
I don't worry much, either, about my '87 Ranger 4x4 V6 with manual trans and t-case. Spare coil, disty and ignition module take up not much room to speak of, and the ECU is about as basic as any of those for the early EFI systems and the extra one is small. Extended cab gives room to carry some stuff inside, and with the spare tire vertical in the front of the bed there's room in the old location to mount another gas tank. Nothin's perfect, but better than adequate will make one feel a whole lot better.
The Following User Says Thank You to bugbor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 05:38 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 8,731 Times in 3,238 Posts

Bugs are indeed simple to work on but provide little in the way of carrying capacity. So would be best suited for travel to an already pre-stocked location.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:44 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 12,239 Times in 3,983 Posts

Quote:
The 009 distributor doesn't even need vacuum advance,
*stands on soap box*

This is a terrible distributer.

It was never intended for something with dynamic RPM and torque needs like a car engine, it was designed for generators and industrial engines that primarily run at one steady RPM.

Without vacuum advance there is no way for your dizzy to know your throttle position. Something like the 009 only knows what your RPM is....not what you WANT it to be....so it only advances after you've built rpm, rather than advancing when you TRYING to build RPM.

In addition, its maximum total advance is limited.

You give up a lot of power with an 009 just to get ride of 8" of vacuum line, but even worse, you give up a lot of throttle response.

*gets off soap box*
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 06:38 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,266 Times in 1,633 Posts

Why do millions and millions and millions and millions and millions and millions of people willingly live where they even need to consider they "MIGHT" need to bug'out..??
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 07:04 PM

'cause they're friendly.

"Why, New Yorkers must be the friendliest people on Earth. All those people living so close together". - Crocodile Dundee.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 10:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,934 Times in 6,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
*stands on soap box*

This is a terrible distributer.

It was never intended for something with dynamic RPM and torque needs like a car engine, it was designed for generators and industrial engines that primarily run at one steady RPM.

Without vacuum advance there is no way for your dizzy to know your throttle position. Something like the 009 only knows what your RPM is....not what you WANT it to be....so it only advances after you've built rpm, rather than advancing when you TRYING to build RPM.

In addition, its maximum total advance is limited.

You give up a lot of power with an 009 just to get ride of 8" of vacuum line, but even worse, you give up a lot of throttle response.

*gets off soap box*
Dude...itís a 50 HP, non-dynamic, low torque VW bug with a compression ratio of less than 8:1....based on an industrial engine.

The throttle position simply doesnít matter that much, and response? Please.

Sure....you COULD do better....but you could get away without it.

Put your soapbox away.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:00 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Dude...it’s a 50 HP, non-dynamic, low torque VW bug with a compression ratio of less than 8:1....based on an industrial engine.

The throttle position simply doesn’t matter that much, and response? Please.

Sure....you COULD do better....but you could get away without it.

Put your soapbox away.
I guess you'll never know what this little engine is capable of if thats how you look at it.

Sadly a lot of people are running them in WORSE than stock condition because they don't understand them. 009 dizzys, blocked off intake heaters, no thermostat, no choke, missing cooling tin, dual cannon exhausts....its sad if your a VW enthusiast to see what people do to these engines. They strip away half the things that make them work and then complain that they don't have enough power.

On the other hand...if you actually learn how they work you can get drastically more power and reliability out of them with simple modifications.

This is mine, (older pic, it's a little different now) 1600 DP, hot air intake, intake heaters, 32/36 dual barrel progressive carb and equal length exhaust header, PROPER 034 distributor.

Old vehicles can be a pain...but if its one that is still popular enough you won't have any problems with parts or knowledge as their are entire companies still making new aftermarket performance parts and thousands of people working on them who can tell you how to set them up.

I will mention though, the rail is just for fun. I do not think an EMP is threat to vehicles, modern or otherwise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 12:47 AM

Thought I'd chime in here to clear some things up. An EMP will ABSOLUTELY disable if not destroy all modern vehicles.
I'd recommend anyone interested in EMP give this a listen.
It's an interview with Dr. Peter Vincent Pry (Head of the EMP Comission) and another lead member. This has to do with their vehicle testing.

This information directly contradicts the common misconception that the EMP tested cars/trucks would be fine that is so often misunderstood (by myself as well, until I found this info.)

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/empact-...er-vincent-pry
Linked From
https://www.futurescience.com/emp/vehicles.html

At minute 47:30+
Cars were borrowed and could NOT be fully tested. As soon as something was starting to fail, they stopped. They couldn't afford to buy 25 cars/trucks to see them tested to the full EMP levels.

Around minute 50, a summed up quote is; 'Since we saw cars failing at surprisingly low levels of an EMP, the commission knew that we could have destroyed many cars, but couldn't afford it.'

Ergo. From a member of the EMP commission, a full-blown EMP + Cars = Paperweights. Period.

It's rather chilling to be completely honest.

In terms of this thread? Older the better. Depending on the model, I'd say late 80's is pushing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunker John For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 12:59 AM
Abnormality biased.

Maybe the EMP commission should update their conclusions if that is really what they think.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:30 AM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,853 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker John View Post
In terms of this thread? Older the better. Depending on the model, I'd say late 80's is pushing it.
The newest vehicle you can buy, that I'm aware of, that doesn't require a computer to run and drive, is a 2nd gen Dodge with Cummins engine and manual transmission. If a person were so inclined and had the money, they could replace every moving part in the vehicle with brand new, including engine, transmission, transfer case, axles, etc. and still spend less than they would on a new truck.
The Following User Says Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 06:35 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,006 Times in 3,097 Posts

Quote:
Thought I'd chime in here to clear some things up. An EMP will ABSOLUTELY disable if not destroy all modern vehicles.
It's an interview with Dr. Peter Vincent Pry (Head of the EMP Comission) and another lead member. This has to do with their vehicle testing.

This information directly contradicts the common misconception that the EMP tested cars/trucks would be fine that is so often misunderstood (by myself as well, until I found this info.)

Linked From

Cars were borrowed and could NOT be fully tested. As soon as something was starting to fail, they stopped. They couldn't afford to buy 25 cars/trucks to see them tested to the full EMP levels.

Around minute 50, a summed up quote is; 'Since we saw cars failing at surprisingly low levels of an EMP, the commission knew that we could have destroyed many cars, but couldn't afford it.'

Ergo. From a member of the EMP commission, a full-blown EMP + Cars = Paperweights. Period.

I donít believe all that hog wash....

Late 80s... ton of electronics there as well....
Old 05-16-2019, 06:42 AM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,853 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
I don’t believe all that hog wash....
Why? I'm not a "mechanic", per se, although I've done a lot more mechanic type work than most non mechanics, (due to being too cheap to hire somebody else to do it ). I've seen that report and read the counter points. Seems like the jury is still out.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:46 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Quote:

Linked From

Obviously you donít read the links you post.....

Quoted from your link....

First, however, because it is a point of so much confusion, it is important to point out that there is no known mechanism by which a solar storm would destroy an automobile, except for making fuel unavailable due to loss of the power grid.

Itís rather chilling to be completely honest....
Old 05-16-2019, 07:00 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

EMP happens... your biggest problem with your vehicle is gonna be that the corner Texaco gas station will be closed due to the lack of electricity

So would a diesel powered vehicle come in handy....YES.
Does it have to be a 12 valve B series Cummins.....NO
So all you guys with the DPF and SCR deletes....you will be able to use those vehicles legally. Lol.

Rest easy.....
Old 05-16-2019, 07:07 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Quote:

Linked From

The sky is falling....the sky is falling

Click image for larger version

Name:	52A86C81-5650-4D55-88D1-FB8EDB86995D.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	287176