Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Long Darkness - A Parallel Story to The Danged Rocks Bret F Books, Movies & Stories 28 02-13-2019 05:52 AM
A start of something new. MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 66 06-19-2017 11:21 PM
Computers held for ransom worldwide Medieval Man The Tech Zone 84 06-19-2017 07:10 PM
Well drilling fnrockstar22 DIY - Do It Yourself 9 05-30-2017 09:53 AM
Truck Cap Camping Cold Weather Zarovich89 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 17 02-22-2017 01:58 PM

Old 04-26-2019, 04:11 PM
HMFIC

Thanked 1,626 Times in 616 Posts
Default Screen/mesh in truck windows

Advertise Here

I've camped in my suburban a few times, mostly when it's cooler out. I'd like to be able to use it in warmer weather, but sleeping with the windows wide open is out of the question. Bugs DEVOUR me, no matter what. Type O neg blood, probably. I can be in a crowd of 1000, with ONE skeeter around, and it will find me, no one else.

Has anyone used, seen, built, any kind of removable frame that will fit in the window channels with screen or noseeum mesh? I've been thinking of the idea but I'm not creative enough to just build it from nothing.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 06:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,040 Times in 2,804 Posts

They have screens for vehicles now, IIRC these weren't available years ago before the internet when I used to go Ghost towning.
You wouldn't believe how many bugs show up at night in the desert, anyway hope this helps.

https://theskeeterbeater.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=scre...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 04-26-2019, 07:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,914 Times in 3,486 Posts

Until you find a custom fit you can get replacement screen material from Home Depot and use that.
Open the door, pull the screen inside at the top and sides and close the door. You can go out the tailgate and put magnets on the bottom of the screen to hold that shut. $10 camper truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2019, 07:15 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 12,191 Times in 3,965 Posts

I duct taped screen over the window openings the while sleeping in the front of a U-haul the last time I drove back from Alaska.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:27 PM
HMFIC

Thanked 1,626 Times in 616 Posts

I guess I could've googled myself, but I didn't even know they made them. But they make everything now, so why not. I was thinking to save as much money as possible and try to home make something. But that roadie tent thing looks pretty good, although its just for one door. But nice to know there are options. I may think about the roadie
Old 04-26-2019, 07:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,643 Times in 767 Posts

Also O neg and the skeeters like me to. I camp in my SUV all the time in the summer and I just hang a piece of mosquito netting over the open door and then close the door to keep the netting in place. You can use the same piece of netting for both doors on each side, and as long as you pull the netting tight so there are no wrinkles it'll lay against the side of the truck and bugs can't get in. If you need to use the doors you can tape the netting on the inside. When you remove it you just wad it up to the size of a fist and stuff it in a storage bag. For the rear hatch, I tie a piece to the luggage rack and let it hang over the opening.
I prefer to sleep in the back of my pickup in really hot weather so I can look up at the stars and get the most breeze. In the truck, I have two hoops made of small PVC pipe that I tie across the back of the bed, and then spread the netting over that and secure it to the cleats on the side of the bed. It's basically a covered wagon.
The Following User Says Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 10:19 PM
regular

That skeeterbeater web site looks like some pretty slick stuff. Thanks for posting that Kalifornia guy.

Personally, i'm a bit lazier, and had I not seen that skeeterbeater web site, my comment might have just been to not worry about the windows, and to position the mosquito netting only over myself, and called it good.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:21 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 22,419 Times in 8,385 Posts

Just buy the netting and use magnets to hold it in place. Fold it up and put it in a sack. You could sew the edges or glue them and put magnet in the fold.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 07:49 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 39,529 Times in 9,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
. Bugs DEVOUR me, no matter what. Type O neg blood, probably. I can be in a crowd of 1000, with ONE skeeter around, and it will find me, no one else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randolphrowzeebragg View Post
Also O neg and the skeeters like me to. .
I have O negative blood and don't get bit very often. My wife has A positive and she gets eaten up

I think it has more to do with your diet and the things you are eating as opposed to blood type

I use citronella candles a lot, also smudge pots with citronella oil around the campsite, I also use a fogger from time to time

I'd cut screens and use the blue masking tape for easy removal, they won't need to be perfect

Eat lots of garlic! Don't eat bananas!
Old 06-24-2019, 12:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,945 Times in 948 Posts

I bought a roll of screen. I open the doors with roll up windows , put the screen in and close the door. For the rear and side barn doors I have a piece of screen cut to size and use a bunch of rare earth magnets to hold the screen on the door jam.

It is quick to set up, works and is cheap. The problem is with the kids wanting to get in and out all the time knocking the magnets loose. I have thought of silicone the magnets to the screen for the side door that way it just flops back in place and seals itself.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:25 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,896 Times in 902 Posts
Exclamation

NO-SEE-UM MESH like this!

https://www.questoutfitters.com/mesh...NO-SEE-UM_MESH

Held on with magnets would be what I would do! Id edge the mesh if needed, but otherwise would just oversize the mesh and stuff it into a small stuff sack when not in use!

SD
Old 06-25-2019, 10:25 PM
The Lieutenant

Thanked 1,900 Times in 789 Posts

Go to Home Depot and buy some rain gutter guard material. White plastic frame with a lip to hook on the gutter edge that works on car window edges, too. Screening is attached to a honeycomb plastic frame. Saw it on a Utube video. Works great on straight topped windows. There are a few sellers on Amazon and eBay that sell screen covers that cover the top of your door like a pillowcase. Install and shut the door. Didn't have ones for the vehicle I was looking for at the time.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:23 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 2,933 Times in 756 Posts

NYLON screen and VElcro...
adjusts to any contour and completely reusable

You are welcome.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,536 Times in 1,681 Posts

C'mon guys!
Mosquitoes need to eat, too~!
Old 06-30-2019, 03:00 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 22,419 Times in 8,385 Posts

I plan on putting 2 types of netting in my tent. That really fine no-see-um stuff is nice when you need it, however in still air it doesn't breath very well and might as well be regular fabric. A more open weave will be much cooler.

Netting is cheap enough and doesn't weigh much, make up 2 sets.