Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fat-tire cargo bike...the ideal BOV (?) 1x1_Speed_Craig Vehicles & Transportation 84 12-08-2019 01:56 AM
Springfield ultimate gear package giveaway kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 09-26-2017 04:20 PM
Hands-on: Remington Ultimate Defense Managed Recoil 00 Buckshot AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 09-11-2017 09:30 PM
Watch: Ultimate Bug Out Bag Rifle AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 08-08-2017 12:30 PM
My BOV - Don't laugh yet.. Elvin Moseid Vehicles & Transportation 40 01-31-2017 04:54 AM

Old 03-28-2019, 12:30 AM
Hiker

Default The ultimate bov

Advertise Here

Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to pengyou For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 01:19 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,354 Times in 3,741 Posts

Hardly, those Class A's get about 8mpg on paved roads and I would imagine quite a bit less in the water.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:29 AM
CULT DEPROGRAMMER

Thanked 3,062 Times in 1,675 Posts

What could possibly go wrong?

Honey, the toilet is overflowing!,,,

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 01:38 AM
Hiker

Actually, spoken a bit sarcastically
Old 03-28-2019, 03:20 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,375 Times in 4,317 Posts

Quote:
Hardly, those Class A's get about 8mpg on paved roads and I would imagine quite a bit less in the water.
I don't think MPG is a factor for a BOV....range however is but it seems most vehicles, regardless of MPG, have fuel tanks scaled to provide 3-350 miles of range.

Which should be enough for practical BOL but even if not you should simply carry as much fuel as you will need as any BO plan that relies on being able to refuel mid trip is extremely risky.

Now, if your talking a vehicle to get around day to day in the PAW, its a difference deal. But a BOV I always feel is for a one way, one time journey and MPG is irrelevant compared to the ability to take as much stuff as far up into the mountains as possible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 03:21 AM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
I don't think MPG is a factor for a BOV....range however is but it seems most vehicles, regardless of MPG, have fuel tanks scaled to provide 3-350 miles of range.

Which should be enough for practical BOL but even if not you should simply carry as much fuel as you will need as any BO plan that relies on being able to refuel mid trip is extremely risky.

Now, if you're talking a vehicle to get around day to day in the PAW, its a different deal. But a BOV I always feel is for a one way, one time journey and MPG is irrelevant compared to the ability to take as much stuff as far up into the mountains as possible.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,081 Times in 2,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post

Now, if your talking a vehicle to get around day to day in the PAW, its a difference deal. But a BOV I always feel is for a one way, one time journey and MPG is irrelevant compared to the ability to take as much stuff as far up into the mountains as possible.
Range.....

https://www.boatinternational.com/ya...ion-yacht--179

This one has a 31,000 mile range at 12 knots!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lone Ranger -  Photo Credit Willem Koper.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	285256  
The Following User Says Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 09:49 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metcalf View Post
Range.....

Yep. I will never have one but I think nothing beats a large boat as a BOV if you have the money and location for one.

From this article:

https://forwardobserver.com/intervie...rty-civil-war/

"Once at sea and more than 50 or 100 miles from land, the ocean becomes a very low threat environment. Oceans are so vast that the odds of randomly crossing the path of another vessel are astronomically small. Post SHTF, few will be out wasting precious fuel motoring around the oceans looking for random prey. Pirates (including those wearing uniforms with numbers on their bows) always congregate near ports and will transit mainly along coasts. Near land, a speedboat can obviously overtake a sailboat. Get- ting clear of the coasts and gaining the anonymity of the open ocean is always the first priority during dangerous times.

In the event that a motor vessel with superior armaments does spot a sailboat and determine to attack it, the sailboat is going to be in a very tough situation. However, this “worst case” (and very unlikely) ocean scenario is no worse than being besieged on land in a remote rural retreat. The other big risk comes in port, when corrupt officials might decide to take your boat under color of law. But being able to cross oceans means having the flexibility to leave a dangerous or corrupt nation and sail directly to a safer place. Or leave a very dangerous state in America, and sail directly to another one. For example, during a SHTF scenario, a sailboat could easily transit directly from New York to Texas, while that same trip might be impossible by road.

A 40-foot sailboat could leave Florida, gain the safety of the open ocean, and next make port weeks later in Iceland or Argentina. Imagine how far a 40 foot RV, loaded with sup- plies, would make it on the inter- states after the SHTF. Not very far, with road blockages, check points, and ambushes around every curve. A sailboat over the horizon on the open ocean has effectively disappeared from the grid matrix. It can also reappear at the moment and the location of its choosing."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 11:51 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post

True

As a former owner of a 28' Class A, I should have presented it as the inability to really get very far off the paved roads or around/through obstacles in such a large (height/width/length), heavy vehicle with limited ground clearance and traction. I managed to get my Class A stuck several times before switching to a 4wd truck and truck camper.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 11:52 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metcalf View Post
Range.....

Hate to pay for the fuel fill up on that puppy. LOL
Old 03-28-2019, 11:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,081 Times in 2,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Hate to pay for the fuel fill up on that puppy. LOL
I think you just take it on down to some 'other' country where fuel is a lot cheaper. If you have to care when you own something like that.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:23 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,613 Times in 8,964 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

A 40m ice rated Monel 400 double hull motorsailer built from the bulbous bow and bulbous swinging bilge keels up to the tip of the sloop rigged mast as an ocean-going prepper craft.

Details upon request.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:26 AM
I give up

Thanked 18,918 Times in 4,926 Posts

While that's damn cool, the ultimate bug out vehicle remains a light weight, four stroke dirt bike. Honda XR650L, Suzuki DR400 etc. Will go anywhere, on any type of gas, in any weather, up to 3 feet of water, and will fit anywhere there is 1 foot width of clearance.

After the Florida hurricanes, my neighborhood was impassable. I needed to check on my very ill father (who was on dialysis) and the dirt bike was the only way to do it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2019, 04:22 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,613 Times in 8,964 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I believe pengyou was being somewhat sarcastic with the OP. He has shown that he is pretty practical and very curious about things not yet experienced. I think he also is well aware there is no 'best' or 'ultimate' anything for every prepper in every situation.

Just a bit of tongue-in-cheek, unless I miss my guess. Much as my post was. That 40-meter prepper motorsailer would cost ten times as much as the amphibious motorhome.

Just thought I would throw this in here so people do not get really wild and start the personal attacks on anyone that offers up a 'best' post.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:37 AM

Ultimate bug-out vehicle? Obviously Air Force One. But most of us don't have that option.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:09 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 8,195 Times in 2,645 Posts

`

I had always wanted to add pontoons like that to a Jeep Wagoneer or Cherokee Chief.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
`

I had always wanted to add pontoons like that to a Jeep Wagoneer or Cherokee Chief.

A rich person does it and it is a luxury vehicle. When I do it it is considered to be the most redneck thing anyone on the river has ever seen.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 04:31 PM
Amat victoria curam

Thanked 2,195 Times in 830 Posts

I can take water up to the snorkel on the ole Unimog that's about all the sailing she can handle. But on more technical side I'm wondering how well sealed that thing is as far as differential ujoints etc and such.. After week of driving around deep water in Katrina I re greased ,inspected and changed fluids even though wasn't milky just to be on safe side. Add salt water and ugh.
The Following User Says Thank You to [_]ni/\/\og For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 07:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,166 Times in 1,374 Posts
Default The ultimate bov

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post

Amphibious RV?!? Amateurs!!

Just wait until I finish my BOH (Bug Out House) I plan to mount counter-rotating rotors ( so I wonít need a tail rotor) on the roof and a turbine in the attic. This way I donít have to hook up 5 semi trailers to my car to drag to my BOL...I also will not need to spend money building a structure at my BOL. For the record: I have an attached garage so Iíll have ground transportation when I get there too.

Iím not sure why nobody else has thought of this yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corpus For This Useful Post: