Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to Survivalist Boards silverhobo55 New Member Introduction 16 02-17-2019 04:15 PM
Getting better traction on a wet hillside rafedawg Vehicles & Transportation 14 08-16-2017 01:05 PM
Traction spikes for boots (ice and snow) McAngus Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 13 07-25-2017 11:53 PM
Survivalist Boards Community Bulletin ? tom42 Site Information & Suggestion Box 0 11-23-2016 10:49 PM

Old 03-13-2019, 03:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,491 Times in 3,887 Posts

Advertise Here

Here's a $68.80 set of traction boards on Amazon for those looking to save some $. I note the prices jumped on them after I ordered my set at $58.

https://www.amazon.com/MAXFAVOR-Trac...%2C309&sr=8-36
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2019, 08:37 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,278 Times in 692 Posts

A tire deflator? I just remove the core. Way quicker and easier.

If your going to air down you should have a compressor. If your going to air way down you should also have a can of starting fluid and know how to use it to get the bead back on. The Thrush brand is the best for this.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:50 AM
Prepared

Thanked 1,075 Times in 238 Posts

Cant tell you how many emt's and firefights use a back board (long spine board) to the same effect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire_fighter For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 11:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,400 Posts

PepBoys has the 1050 for $49.95 on ebay, https://www.ebay.com/p/MasterFlow-Po...7420849&chn=ps
Old 03-14-2019, 01:42 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,312 Times in 3,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettny View Post

If your going to air down you should have a compressor. If your going to air way down you should also have a can of starting fluid and know how to use it to get the bead back on. The Thrush brand is the best for this.
The problem with removing the core is that it can be easily dropped in the dirt and possibly get some stuck in it or even lost.

I prefer the screw on deflators that just depress the valve. On my Bronco (35" tires) I screw on the first one, count about 20 seconds and then screw in the rest with 20 seconds between each. By the time I finish the 4th the 1st is about ready to remove to get me at normal trail pressure.

I tried the preset type that are supposed to shut off by themselves but they never were accurate nor consistent.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:45 PM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 6,086 Times in 1,640 Posts

My approach is a little different. I just refuse to get stuck. Seems to be working out for now.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:57 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettny View Post

The tire deflator removes / holds the core out.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,081 Times in 2,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
The problem with removing the core is that it can be easily dropped in the dirt and possibly get some stuck in it or even lost.

I prefer the screw on deflators that just depress the valve. On my Bronco (35" tires) I screw on the first one, count about 20 seconds and then screw in the rest with 20 seconds between each. By the time I finish the 4th the 1st is about ready to remove to get me at normal trail pressure.

I tried the preset type that are supposed to shut off by themselves but they never were accurate nor consistent.
I've been pulling cores to air down for 30 years, it really isn't that big of a deal. Carry a few spare cores if you are worried about fumbling one.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:11 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metcalf View Post
I've been pulling cores to air down for 30 years, it really isn't that big of a deal. Carry a few spare cores if you are worried about fumbling one.
Yet others can and do lose them.

My way totally avoids the possability.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:31 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Yet others can and do lose them.

My way totally avoids the possability.
And takes forever. I'll air up and down more than once in a day, with a little practice loosing a core isn't a huge deal. Heck, a 100 spares would take up very little space.....
Old 03-19-2019, 11:42 PM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 15,591 Times in 3,834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
More snow MaxTrax usage, plus airing down, tire chains, and winching.

Expedition Overland: North America Ep3 - YouTube
Bwa ha ha ha, that first cover shot on that clip looks like my driveway , add a ravine with drop offs and a roller coaster hill to climb . Got to love beautiful British Columbia
Old 03-20-2019, 04:24 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
And takes forever. I'll air up and down more than once in a day, with a little practice loosing a core isn't a huge deal. Heck, a 100 spares would take up very little space.....
A couple minutes is hardly "forever".

You and anyone else are obviously free to do it any way you like. I just pointed out a valid downside to pulling cores.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 01:34 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Quote:
A couple minutes is hardly "forever".

You and anyone else are obviously free to do it any way you like. I just pointed out a valid downside to pulling cores.
Yup, do what works for you. I run very large tires. Changing from highway pressure in to single digits takes a LONG time using a deflator that leaves the core in place.

I've even experimented with drilling out the center of the valve stems below the seat a bit to make it even faster.

At some point, being able to pull the core is handy for other things like reseating a bead. Cores also fail. I would carry a few ( and a stem ) spares and a 4 way core tool to help with those issues even if you don't want to pull the cores to air down.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:29 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Yup, do what works for you. I run very large tires. Changing from highway pressure in to single digits takes a LONG time using a deflator that leaves the core in place.

I've even experimented with drilling out the center of the valve stems below the seat a bit to make it even faster.

At some point, being able to pull the core is handy for other things like reseating a bead. Cores also fail. I would carry a few ( and a stem ) spares and a 4 way core tool to help with those issues even if you don't want to pull the cores to air down.
I never said I didn't keep the appropriate spare parts in my rig.

YMMV but I never had to pull a core to re-seat a bead. Ratchet strap around the tire or worst case some starting fluid and a match have always done the trick for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 12:28 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,371 Times in 4,317 Posts

Always interesting what people consider normal. I've never aired down my tires...but sometimes I put on tire chains every day. I've never removed a valve core..but I repair tire punctures in the field fairly often so I have plugs and patches and prybars.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:58 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Quote:

I never said I didn't keep the appropriate spare parts in my rig.

YMMV but I never had to pull a core to re-seat a bead. Ratchet strap around the tire or worst case some starting fluid and a match have always done the trick for me.
I've fought my fair share. Pulling the core helps. I agree that a strap or an explosion can help. We run a lot of beadlocks these days, and most of the normal wheels are running 2-3 wraps of gorilla tape over the safety beads to make it much more difficult to push the tire off the bead.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:01 PM

I've used Maxtrax for years, they work but you have to be careful with wheel spin, that'll tear them up.

I used them most on the 16.5 wheel truck, hard to air that sucker down enough sometimes, without it spitting a tire off due to the bead design.

Anyway, they work, but there are other options that are much less expensive too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Czechsix For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 07:44 PM
Basket of deplorables

Thanked 2,788 Times in 744 Posts

I know this is about Maxtrax however in reading a lot of the comments about the different methods to air down was interesting. Since I don't like to have a lot of difficulty with this I don't pull the core because it just in my opinion can lead to more trouble. My favorite method is using my Staun tire deflators. There are lots of variants on the market but Staun is pretty solid. Once you get them set you are good to go. Stop at the trail head and by the time you get the 4th one on the first one has just about aired down and stopped at the pre-designated tire pressure.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wh...ator-shootout/
https://www.desertrat.com/i-23320198...-6-30-psi.html
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 09:20 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Always interesting what people consider normal. I've never aired down my tires...but sometimes I put on tire chains every day. I've never removed a valve core..but I repair tire punctures in the field fairly often so I have plugs and patches and prybars.
Why haven't you tried airing down your tires? It makes a HUGE difference in off-road vehicle performance. I would say it is better than chains over a broader range of terrain. It is also just about free. Chains tear up a lot more stuff....body panels, brake lines, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 01:51 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Why haven't you tried airing down your tires? It makes a HUGE difference in off-road vehicle performance. I would say it is better than chains over a broader range of terrain. It is also just about free. Chains tear up a lot more stuff....body panels, brake lines, etc.
I cant speak for Aerindel, but the times I used chains were for short stretches of snow / ice. Faster to put on and take off a set of chains than airing down and airing back up tires - especially with the junk tire inflator I had.