Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build the Wall Go Fund me raises 18 mil in 12 days swen_out_west Political News and Discussion 271 06-07-2019 04:10 AM
Ruger American Standard 30-06 Springfield 22" 4+1 from $337.73 wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 01-05-2019 08:55 PM
Thoughts on the Ruger American? justin22885 Pistol and Revolver Forum 10 07-18-2018 06:53 AM
Review: Ruger American Compact Rifle in 308 Win AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-10-2016 02:30 PM

Old 02-22-2019, 07:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,355 Times in 7,687 Posts
Default Bitching about American Standard toilets

Advertise Here

Bought it 4 years ago, supposed to be the "super flush" model that wouldn't clog.

Well, it hasn't really clogged, but it sure ain't flushing any more. I just had to flush with a bucket of water.

I saw replacement inside parts for the tank on Amazon. Would it help to swap out (with a plumber) the inside parts? Will that make for a better flush or is it just a piece of crap? Pun intended.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 09:30 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,013 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Well, it hasn't really clogged, but it sure ain't flushing any more. I just had to flush with a bucket of water.
"Ain't flushing" really doesn't tell us what is happening.

Is the tank filling but using the handle doesn't let it flow into the bowl?
Is the tank on the back not filling to the right level?
Is there not enough water entering the bowl, or is it not draining out fast enough to carry the wastes?

If it's the first one your handle may not be raising the flapper enough. They can slip out of place.

If it's the latter, it is in fact "clogged" somewhere in the line.

Changing parts won't help a clogged drain.

Try to be more specific in describing exactly what happens when you move the handle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 10:35 AM
Survivor

Well, when I flush I hold it down for 20 seconds or so. The water goes in the bowl and very slowly chugs out, without taking the item in the bowl. It is generally one sizable item.

I can't believe I'm talking about this. He makes different deposits, and they do fine.

What I have had to resort to is getting a 3 gallon bucket full of water and using that to flush the toilet, that went down just fine, made a nice "glug" as he calls it, and then I filled the bowl back up with the rest of the water in the bucket. So I don't think it is a clog, but I'm not a plumber. Liquid waste goes fine, his byproducts go fine, it's just the ah, deposits I make.

He mocks me over this and says mean things about my products. This is one reason why we bought this toilet, the old one was constantly backing up, even for him.

This one doesn't back up but it is worse than usual.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2019, 11:09 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,025 Times in 428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
Well, when I flush I hold it down for 20 seconds or so. The water goes in the bowl and very slowly chugs out, without taking the item in the bowl. It is generally one sizable item.

I can't believe I'm talking about this. He makes different deposits, and they do fine.

What I have had to resort to is getting a 3 gallon bucket full of water and using that to flush the toilet, that went down just fine, made a nice "glug" as he calls it, and then I filled the bowl back up with the rest of the water in the bucket. So I don't think it is a clog, but I'm not a plumber. Liquid waste goes fine, his byproducts go fine, it's just the ah, deposits I make.

He mocks me over this and says mean things about my products. This is one reason why we bought this toilet, the old one was constantly backing up, even for him.

This one doesn't back up but it is worse than usual.

He could have it exactly figured out and you just refuse to accept it.

My x-wife had the same issue as she got bigger and bigger and bigger. Even managed to break the little plastic bumpers that hold the seat up off the bowl a few times...

I (being a 'normal' size person) have never had any issues and have most certainly never broke a toilet seat.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,917 Times in 6,432 Posts

I don't think she means she's leaving more bodily waste. I think she means tampons or pads.
Unless I mis-read what "products" means?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 11:32 AM
Survivor

No, bigger waste. His is very different from mine, but according to research both are normal.

I would never flush a female product. Worst I did on that front was empty a cup. Every drain works well, we had a clog about 5 years ago and had to get a drain line cleanout. I know what that looks like . All drains work fine it's just the solid won't go down for me.

I figure whatever is motivating the water push into the toilet is decaying and not working as well. Didn't used to have problems (and I weigh the same as when we got the toilet).

At least the water bucket works. It sure worked when I did that.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:35 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,763 Times in 523 Posts

Back off the fiber some it floats better
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ncwebnut For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 11:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,637 Times in 8,934 Posts

If you have to hold the handle down to get it to flush it is most likely out of adjustment. That along with a low tank level could definitely cause the problem. There should be a maximum fill level line in the tank and when you flush the flapper should stay up until the water empties from the tank without having to hold the lever.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 12:16 PM
Staying Frosty

How about looking on youtube for toilet won't flush...just saying.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,043 Times in 510 Posts

Maybe keep a stick next to the toilet to break the baby ruth up before flushing it, you might have to beat the crap out of it

Last edited by browningv308; 02-22-2019 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: hit the button too soon
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to browningv308 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 06:05 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,458 Times in 5,588 Posts

Go to Lowes because I know that's where you bought it. Go to the plumbing section. Hopefully someone is working who isn't new. Tell them what the problem is. They will show you which parts you need to get to replace. You can almost certainly replace the parts yourself.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 06:24 PM
Survivor

Home Depot actually. We are both disabled and apparently special tools are needed to replace the inside parts. He did a good job changing the gasket but I think we will need to call a plumber for this. And I am OK with that because I would rather have a professional do it.

I just mainly wanted to hear if it was probable I'd have to replace the inside tank parts, it sounds like the answer is yes. Hopefully that will "fix" it and hopefully they will continue to make the parts so I can replace it when it goes out AGAIN.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:41 PM
Prepared

If its like most toilets, you don't need special tools. Just channel locks. I'd check to see if the tank is full before you flush. If it isn't add water to it. Then flush, if it works then you need to raise the float level. You can check youtube for videos on toilet valve replacement maybe $10-15 in parts needed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zebra007 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 10:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,317 Times in 817 Posts

Kinda sounds like the float is having issues. Pull the tank lid and see if the water level is still filling to the level of the water mark left from the last four years. I'm betting not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xstuntman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 02:33 PM
Survivor

I'll look.

In the meantime, flushed it again with another bucket of water, it worked great. My husband commented he could hear it "glug" up in the front of the house. I told him what I'd been doing with the bucket to flush, he loved it and told me to keep doing it.

So I guess I will, but I will have him open it and take a look inside.

The reviews for the replacement tank parts specifically said they needed a very large wrench to connect one part.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:21 PM
Prepared

How is he going to look inside?

You can easily do this yourself. When you pour additional water into the bowl from a bucket, you are simulating the same thing as having more water in the tank. The water level in the tank right now doesn't give you enough water. If you add more water to the tank with your bucket do it. If it successfully flushes then you know the water level you need. It could be a very simple adjustment.

Channel lock wrenches do open up very wide. The fittings are plastic and the tank is ceramic so not a lot of force is needed to loosen or tighten things. Things can crack, some plumbers just tighten them by hand.

Remember the sound of old toilets Baaaaah Whoooooooosh. They used around 6 gallons of water per flush, now its down to 1.6 gallons. Bah whoosh
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zebra007 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 04:10 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 44,427 Times in 10,374 Posts

When the government mandated "low flow" toilets they created a lot of problems. Toilet designers had to go back to the drawing room in order to build versions that worked with less than half the water they used to.

Instead of pouring that bucket of water into the bowl, pour it into the tank up to the overflow pipe and see if that helps. Also see if the water normally comes up to the fill line.

Another version

Lastly, there could be a hidden clog that only partially obstructs the inner trap in the toilet. Try plunging it. The water shouldn't just "glug", it should rush out.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2019, 02:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,013 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
Home Depot actually. We are both disabled and apparently special tools are needed to replace the inside parts. He did a good job changing the gasket but I think we will need to call a plumber for this. And I am OK with that because I would rather have a professional do it.

I just mainly wanted to hear if it was probable I'd have to replace the inside tank parts, it sounds like the answer is yes. Hopefully that will "fix" it and hopefully they will continue to make the parts so I can replace it when it goes out AGAIN.
It's possible nothing needs to be replaced.

It may simply need to be adjusted to allow the maximum amount of water to fill the tank.

There should be no need to hold the handle if everything is set correctly.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2019, 06:56 PM
patriarch

Thanked 5,730 Times in 2,770 Posts

Never buy water savers! They really don't save water when you have to flush twice.

All replacement parts are junk.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,879 Times in 1,717 Posts

Tank water level should be about 5/8" below the fill tube. That will give you a full flush.
Could be your new toilet is an environmentally friendly low flow 1.3 gallon unit.
You could just be overloading the toilet with waste and paper.

Here's a good plumbing forum https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php
The Following User Says Thank You to Don H For This Useful Post: