Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5 of the Best Lightweight Tents for Backcountry Camping – 2018 AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-07-2018 03:00 PM
Amazon pop up TAS2 Site Information & Suggestion Box 4 02-24-2018 11:37 AM
Rooftop tents: Soft or hard shell? subvetssn Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 10 09-07-2017 07:01 AM
Refurbishing old tents Hick Industries Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 08-16-2017 07:29 PM
Storm Arashi Cover Pop Topwater Lure: ICAST 2017 AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 07-13-2017 06:30 PM

Old 10-22-2018, 08:00 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 8,651 Times in 3,219 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
I'm sure it depends on several factors, rather than it just being a no-go b/c this vehicle didn't come from the factory that way. A sunroof usually comes as an option...not as an entirely new design of vehicle. Most likely, the structural components are the same across vehicles of the same model year, and only cosmetic features are changed based on (most) options...moving the overhead light for sunroof installs, for example. That's a much more cost-efficient process for mass producing complicated products like vehicles.

I agree that it shouldn't be done by some bozo with a sawzall...but that's also not what the OP said. He asked if it was possible. And it is. Otherwise, businesses like Webasto wouldn't make money installing all kinds of things in vehicle roofs.

Again, you can point out all the reasons it can't be done, or you can just google how it's already being done by professionals and help OP figure out if it's feasible for his vehicle.
You are assuming that the OP's desired vehicle came with a large sunroof in one of it's trim packages. If not, there would be no extra support built in.

Webasto doesn't "install all kinds of things" they mostly add HVAC units to vehicles/heavy equipment and don't do roof mounted tents. Also most of the vehicles they add things to were designed from the factory to get the units installed on their roofs. Those that weren't require modification/strengthening ($$$) and even their sunroofs are much more then simply cutting a hole and slapping one on.

That kind of thing died a deserved death back in the 70s/80s when the aftermarket sunroofs almost invariable failed to seal and people found their roof was rusted out as well. Often when the sunroof fell into the vehicle.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2018, 08:42 AM
Hiker

Quote:
I'm gonna bow out of this thread now. Hope you find what you're looking for, pengyou.
Yes, I have! Found many great ideas...have done a preliminary looksie and will look further. The ultimate decision will be made after I buy a place to park it - next year - and when I go searching for parts and vehicles.

Thank you all!
Old 10-22-2018, 09:26 AM
Golfer

Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,238 Posts

Instead of a car sunroof, think about something non-motorized, like an openable skylight or a roof hatch. Maybe you could rig a way that as you pushed it open, it would push the tent open enough for you to get up in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	openable skylight.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	279432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof hatch.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	279464  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2018, 06:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,057 Times in 2,797 Posts

Too much poopoo platter in this thread.

Build something, at least try, report back on how it worked. We don't learn anything new trying the same thing over and over again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 07:24 PM

I have many friends with RTTs, some clamshell. I don't think any have from cab access. it can be done. its only time and money. what is your budget?

most RTTs need a type of crossbars attached to the roof rack. but I believe a well designed fiberglass pop top is quite feasible with some stiffening off the roof.
funny that I have been toying with these ideas for a year or so.. be mindful of the top heavy-ness that may come into play if you are wheeling and get off camber
Old 10-22-2018, 08:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,057 Times in 2,797 Posts

Tons of great ideas for the 'overland' type vehicle thing from these guys.

https://www.mercedes-g-entdecker.com/

Their brochure is a great read.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,400 Times in 3,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra007 View Post
You want to check out the ecamper from https://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/ kind of pricey but the design is what your talking about.
Here's another one for only $36,000 over the price of the Jeep.
http://www.actioncamper.info/details...edium=referral
Old 11-01-2018, 04:05 PM
Semper Fi

Another option is to get a pick up truck and install a shell on it that has the swing out top that opens into a tent. Then connect shell to truck via the rear window.

I don't know if either is still in business but Flip-Pac and Wildernest were two manufacturers. Flip-Pac opened front to rear while Wildernest opened to the side.

One fly in the ointment in both your original idea as well as the shell I just mentioned is that both have external clamps that need to be undone before deployment.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,400 Times in 3,842 Posts

The Toyota Tundra pickup has a rear window that rolls down. If you had camper you climb back in there real easily.

The Chevy Avalanche had similar set up but the whole back window / wall dropped down:

Toyota Tundra:

Chevy:
Old 11-28-2018, 08:54 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,334 Times in 2,048 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 8.28.17 PM.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	280646
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 09:53 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
All but the G-Wagon have already been brought up in this thread.

The OP said he had some ideas but hasn't shared any of them in his own thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 09:57 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,334 Times in 2,048 Posts

Cool......
Old 11-29-2018, 03:02 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Cool......
Thanks for all of the input. I am following up on the photos you submitted - the vanagon, the van and Benz. In general, it seems that doing what I was thinking might either require a lot more $$ to keep it strong or result in something that weakens the strength of the vehicle.
The Following User Says Thank You to pengyou For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 09:45 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
Thanks for all of the input. I am following up on the photos you submitted - the vanagon, the van and Benz. In general, it seems that doing what I was thinking might either require a lot more $$ to keep it strong or result in something that weakens the strength of the vehicle.
You would want the relatively rare 4WD version of the Vanagon.

The Benz would be crazy $$ as the G-Wagon itself is high dollar.

There are used Sportsmobiles for sale at Sportsmobile.com which helps avoid the steep depreciation of a new one. From feedback on RV sites you might want to find a bare one and build your own interior as the quality is a bit lacking in the factory builds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 09:52 PM
Target Shooter

Keeps you off the cold ground, and the aussies use them to keep snakes away
The Following User Says Thank You to Juts89mj For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 07:47 PM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,705 Times in 930 Posts

I've pondered something along these lines on my Gem Top on the back of my F-150. The Gem Top has a line about 6" from the top that goes all the way around the topper and I've pondered cutting that line with my sawzall or grinder, then putting framework inside the topper to allow me to raise it up. Then I'll get some heavy canvas and fasten it to the top half and the bottom half, kind of like the old pop up camper trailers.

But then, I thought to myself, why not put a couple of large plastic boxes up on top for storage, then put my Jon Boat over top of them to help hold them down and fasten it all down to my roof rack on my topper?

Then I can take some of the stuff out of my pickup bed and store it in those plastic boxes.

Currently I have 2 beds (1 on each side) up on frames and can even put a partial bed in between them for the dog(s) to sleep on. Under the beds, I've got plenty of storage and use those Action Packers to keep things organized in them and under the beds.

I've also used those childrens play room floor mats with the letters and figures on the floor of my bed and on the inside of the tailgate for padding and to make it less painful crawling in and out.

My Gem Top is about 6" taller than most camper shells and I plan to put some cabinets around the top of it for storing different things.

I also have room for a decent sized 12v/110v fridge, as well as a porta potty that slides under my bed.

So basically, I can jump out of my tailgate, run around to the drivers seat and be out of the area in a minute or two.. Nothing needs to fold down and with either heavy canvas curtains or those sun reflectors on my side windows, I can park anywhere and pretty much be in stealth mode.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kl0an For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 08:35 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl0an View Post
I've pondered something along these lines on my Gem Top on the back of my F-150. The Gem Top has a line about 6" from the top that goes all the way around the topper and I've pondered cutting that line with my sawzall or grinder, then putting framework inside the topper to allow me to raise it up. Then I'll get some heavy canvas and fasten it to the top half and the bottom half, kind of like the old pop up camper trailers.

But then, I thought to myself, why not put a couple of large plastic boxes up on top for storage, then put my Jon Boat over top of them to help hold them down and fasten it all down to my roof rack on my topper?

Then I can take some of the stuff out of my pickup bed and store it in those plastic boxes.

Currently I have 2 beds (1 on each side) up on frames and can even put a partial bed in between them for the dog(s) to sleep on. Under the beds, I've got plenty of storage and use those Action Packers to keep things organized in them and under the beds.

I've also used those childrens play room floor mats with the letters and figures on the floor of my bed and on the inside of the tailgate for padding and to make it less painful crawling in and out.

My Gem Top is about 6" taller than most camper shells and I plan to put some cabinets around the top of it for storing different things.

I also have room for a decent sized 12v/110v fridge, as well as a porta potty that slides under my bed.

So basically, I can jump out of my tailgate, run around to the drivers seat and be out of the area in a minute or two.. Nothing needs to fold down and with either heavy canvas curtains or those sun reflectors on my side windows, I can park anywhere and pretty much be in stealth mode.
They make (or at least used to) a boot that seals the front of a topper to the rear slider window of the truck. No need to run around as you can simply pass through window into truck.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:37 PM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,705 Times in 930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
They make (or at least used to) a boot that seals the front of a topper to the rear slider window of the truck. No need to run around as you can simply pass through window into truck.
Yeah, I used to have one of those on one of the crewcabs with an 11' camper I took up the ALCAN highway on a few trips I made up there.. Last I saw it was heading into Destruction Bay.. Never saw it again..

It worked well until then..
Old 01-06-2019, 10:15 AM
Semper Fi

Not cheap even as a used vehicle.

https://sportsmobile.com/inventory/c...l-4x4/#mainpic

This one costs less but isn't a pop top

https://sportsmobile.com/inventory/c...0-4x4/#mainpic

Old 02-17-2019, 07:02 PM
Prepared

Got me one for this, just dont have a picture of it yet.