Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5 of the Best Lightweight Tents for Backcountry Camping – 2018 AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-07-2018 03:00 PM
Amazon pop up TAS2 Site Information & Suggestion Box 4 02-24-2018 11:37 AM
Rooftop tents: Soft or hard shell? subvetssn Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 10 09-07-2017 07:01 AM
Refurbishing old tents Hick Industries Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 08-16-2017 07:29 PM
Storm Arashi Cover Pop Topwater Lure: ICAST 2017 AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 07-13-2017 06:30 PM

Old 10-15-2018, 06:21 AM
Hiker

Default Pop-up tents on an suv

Advertise Here

Has anyone ever considered/tried mounting one of these kits permanently on an suv? They are designed to mount much like a roof rack...but I would like something like this that I can access from within my rig, without having to go outside to get up or down. I am sure it would take some reinforcing. I would not cut the whole top out of my vehicle - just a 2'x3' whole - big enough to crawl through to get up there. I would also mount a solar panel on top of the pop top....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOYOTA-4WD-SUV-car-roof-top-tent.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	279124  
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2018, 11:53 AM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,853 Times in 928 Posts

I wouldn't want my shelter permanently attached to a vehicle like that. Can't leave the shelter up and drive down the road for some reason, either to check something out or whatever or in an emergency. If I wanted to use the vehicle as shelter, I would want to be able to drive down the road with the shelter in place.
The Following User Says Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 02:44 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 8,731 Times in 3,238 Posts

What you want would have to be a custom built setup ($$$) They do make a replacement top for modern Jeeps that incorporates a flip up roof tent.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2018, 04:09 PM
Golfer

Thanked 2,134 Times in 1,240 Posts

Are you okay with going outside and climbing up there to set it up or do you want to set it up and take it down all from inside?
Old 10-16-2018, 07:41 AM
Hiker

I want to be able to set it up and take it down all from inside.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:38 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
I want to be able to set it up and take it down all from inside.
Aside from a totally custom build, the only setup like that which I know of is the VW Camper Van.

There is much more to doing what you want besides simply cutting a couple holes. As neither the vehicle's roof nor the tent's floor are structurally able to accommodate the removal of the material.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 10:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,647 Times in 769 Posts

A 2x3 hole isn't much larger than a sunroof so it shouldn't compromise the structural integrity of a large SUV. Rather than trying to find a tent that can be erected from inside of the vehicle, you might try and find a tent that has the same footprint as the roof of the vehicle and then construct a custom frame made of about three "U" shaped PVC pipe or aluminum tent poles that could be attached to a common pivot point so you could just swing them into place from the inside. Not a very complicated project after you find he tent. You might want to reinforce the top of the vehicle by using a piece of 4x8 plywood or component board so you can use a hinged hatch to enter or leave the tent.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:43 PM
Free-ish Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolphrowzeebragg View Post
A 2x3 hole isn't much larger than a sunroof so it shouldn't compromise the structural integrity of a large SUV.
2x3 is a massive sun roof. I've never seen one that big. Besides, the size of the SUV doesn't matter so much as if the roof was designed to have a big hole in it.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,604 Times in 8,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolphrowzeebragg View Post
A 2x3 hole isn't much larger than a sunroof so it shouldn't compromise the structural integrity of a large SUV. Rather than trying to find a tent that can be erected from inside of the vehicle, you might try and find a tent that has the same footprint as the roof of the vehicle and then construct a custom frame made of about three "U" shaped PVC pipe or aluminum tent poles that could be attached to a common pivot point so you could just swing them into place from the inside. Not a very complicated project after you find he tent. You might want to reinforce the top of the vehicle by using a piece of 4x8 plywood or component board so you can use a hinged hatch to enter or leave the tent.
They do make motorized pop up tents by the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 07:46 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,006 Times in 3,097 Posts

My question is...why in the world do you want to sleep on the roof of your vehicle
Old 10-19-2018, 07:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,809 Times in 1,023 Posts

Why not fold down the back seat, pump up the air mattress and call it a night?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hound Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 08:35 PM
Golfer

Thanked 2,134 Times in 1,240 Posts

OP and his readers are looking for answers folks, not questions.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to puttster For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 08:51 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
My question is...why in the world do you want to sleep on the roof of your vehicle
More space.

Better view.

Safer from crocodiles.

https://youtu.be/JKWcatEdLf8
Old 10-19-2018, 09:26 PM
Free-ish Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
Sometimes answering a question requires more questions, like when someone is asking about cutting a massive hole in the roof of their vehicle and then putting a tent up through the hole without going outside the vehicle. It makes sense that people are going to ask "WTF?" and suggest other options.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:45 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,334 Times in 2,048 Posts

Just measured the sunroof in a 2015 Cherokee - 29.5"x22". That's not 2'x3' but it's certainly big enough for me to climb onto the roof without trouble.

Reason to have a tent on the roof is so you don't have to unpack anything to set up camp. All your gear stays packed away, and you can make pull-out kitchen platforms with built-in fridges and stoves, etc. And you're always up out of the mud, and a little farther away from the bugs that hang out in tall grasses, the ticks in the pine straw, etc. No worries about water drainage, roots making an uncomfortable sleeping surface, rocks poking holes in the tent, packing up muddy gear, etc. You can use them without trouble at a rest stop for a quick nap during the day. Plus these pop-up tents are usually faster to set up than other freestanding tents.

They're not for me, but they certainly have enough advantages that I don't make fun of other people for choosing this option. Some people on this forum just think it's their job to poke holes in everybody else's plans. Thank you for your service....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 10:13 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
Quote:
Sometimes answering a question requires more questions, like when someone is asking about cutting a massive hole in the roof of their vehicle and then putting a tent up through the hole without going outside the vehicle. It makes sense that people are going to ask "WTF?" and suggest other options.
If you put roll bars in the car you should be able to put any hole you want in the roof.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:21 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,809 Times in 1,023 Posts

Quote:
Like the answer posted by the guy below.....

Quote:
Are you okay with going outside and climbing up there to set it up or do you want to set it up and take it down all from inside?
Old 10-20-2018, 12:29 AM
Prepared

You want to check out the ecamper from https://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/ kind of pricey but the design is what your talking about.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:38 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
Just measured the sunroof in a 2015 Cherokee - 29.5"x22". That's not 2'x3' but it's certainly big enough for me to climb onto the roof without trouble.

Reason to have a tent on the roof is so you don't have to unpack anything to set up camp. All your gear stays packed away, and you can make pull-out kitchen platforms with built-in fridges and stoves, etc. And you're always up out of the mud, and a little farther away from the bugs that hang out in tall grasses, the ticks in the pine straw, etc. No worries about water drainage, roots making an uncomfortable sleeping surface, rocks poking holes in the tent, packing up muddy gear, etc. You can use them without trouble at a rest stop for a quick nap during the day. Plus these pop-up tents are usually faster to set up than other freestanding tents.

They're not for me, but they certainly have enough advantages that I don't make fun of other people for choosing this option. Some people on this forum just think it's their job to poke holes in everybody else's plans. Thank you for your service....
===============================================
Bingo! It is nice to be able to from sleeping quarter to the car without having to brave the elements, insects, animals, people, keeps things dryer because they are not on the ground, does not require any more space than you need to park the vehicle, etc This is not really a place to long term live in a SHTF situation, but rather a way to relatively cheaply and safely sleep while traveling from place to place...also is a little more difficult for people to access while I am inside and they are out.
================================================

Thanks for all of your input!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pengyou For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 08:07 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post

[IMG]https://i.redd.it/zie7952mtdhx.jpg[/e can't poke holes in a planIMG]

If people can't poke holes in a plan, then it must be a good plan.

Far better to get the holes poked prior to possibly poking a huge hole in your wallet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post: