Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Without the Sacraments there is no Salvation cat1978 Religious Discussion 1107 07-01-2019 12:21 PM
yet more Catholic Church sex abuse scandals... manimalist Religious Discussion 333 02-04-2019 07:28 PM
Icons! Orthodox Tradition compared to Catholic Tradition cat1978 Religious Discussion 24 05-15-2018 08:54 PM
Catholic Arrogance? rio nueces Religious Discussion 164 03-17-2018 08:23 PM
Catholic gregorian chant Sloth Religious Discussion 46 02-02-2017 07:03 PM

Old 01-22-2019, 02:44 PM
Totus tuus

Advertise Here

I'd be interested to know more about how you know your guardian angel is involved. I don't have any good sources on that.

I think that while angelic influence is certainly present - the kinds of happenings I'm describing are probably more due to the action of the Holy Spirit - living inside each of us.

I wonder what other experiences people have had that they might be willing to share. Another of mine is the one I described in post #28
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 05:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,804 Times in 1,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
I'd be interested to know more about how you know your guardian angel is involved. I don't have any good sources on that.
I don't know any specific times I've personally been helped by my guardian angel. On the other hand, we've all been "assigned" a guardian angel and their entire purpose is to help intervene for and protect us. Since I'm currently alive it's safe to assume my guardian angel has been active.

Quote:
I think that while angelic influence is certainly present - the kinds of happenings I'm describing are probably more due to the action of the Holy Spirit - living inside each of us.
As a Catholic I seldom look at scenarios from a binary perspective. I'd say it's much more likely to be both.

Quote:
I wonder what other experiences people have had that they might be willing to share. Another of mine is the one I described in post #28
I grew up on a ranch with 9 siblings and none of us died (or have been seriously injured) during the many "rodeos" of angry cows and salty horses, farm equipment accidents, floods, and/or fires. That's a good enough explanation for me to give thanks for our protection.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pinhead For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 06:15 PM
Hunter

Quote:
I'd be interested to know more about how you know your guardian angel is involved. I don't have any good sources on that ...
From the Catechism of the Catholic Church
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s2c1p5.htm#I
… see #336. You can find the underlying text to footnote 203 near the bottom of the page:
https://books.google.com/books?id=KP...nomius&f=false
Here is a good article on Guardian Angels by Fr. John Hardon with references both to Scripture and Tradition:
http://www.therealpresence.org/archi...lology_028.htm
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trogshak For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 11:39 PM
Totus tuus

Just to be clear: I believe in angels, and that every person has a guardian angel. I have even read that some are able to find out the names of their guardian angels. So I look for stories about how one knows that his guardian angel has acted. One compelling story I heard on Relevant Radio once was from a caller (I think on the Inner Life show) who said that she was walking downstairs once and fell, or started to fall, and she suddenly felt a hand which held her and steadied her so that she did not actually fall.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atticus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 05:04 AM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 91,306 Times in 24,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinet Maker View Post
I understand Kavanaugh is a faithful Catholic. A "hex" ceremony will have as much effect on him as a fart in a hurricane.
And that's being very generous
Old 01-24-2019, 11:19 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 13,049 Times in 4,264 Posts

Quote:
Just to be clear: I believe in angels, and that every person has a guardian angel. I have even read that some are able to find out the names of their guardian angels. So I look for stories about how one knows that his guardian angel has acted. One compelling story I heard on Relevant Radio once was from a caller (I think on the Inner Life show) who said that she was walking downstairs once and fell, or started to fall, and she suddenly felt a hand which held her and steadied her so that she did not actually fall.

I know I've been helped many, many times by mine. If you listen to Drew Mariani, he'll tell of personal incidents galore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cabinet Maker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 01:33 AM
Totus tuus

I'm a big fan of Drew Mariani. Listen to him whenever I get the chance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Atticus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 11:17 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 13,049 Times in 4,264 Posts

When I'm in the shop, I stream Relevant Radio all the time. There's something very comforting in knowing you're going to hear clear, clean and correct information both about the Faith and current events.
My favorite show is probably "Father Simon Says". Fr. Rick Simon, an old priest with a great sense of humor, and a mastery of Latin, Greek and Scripture.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cabinet Maker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 07:21 AM
Iēsous

Thanked 6,420 Times in 3,263 Posts

Suffer not a witch to live.
Oh how I wish it was 1650
Burn baby burn.
Sounds mean?
Learn what they want to do to you
It's no wonder the Father's of the church said to flame them.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:42 PM
Hunter/Survivor

Devout Catholic and Veteran here. I would like to suggest the following book: The Grunt Padre by Daniel L. Mode. the story of a Marine Chaplain. the term Great does not do the man or the book justice and it speaks to our spirit as to what we hold sacred.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bluesman60 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 04:15 PM
Totus tuus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead View Post
My local priest and confessor is the assistant to our diocese exorcist and I have second-hand experience with the supernatural through my wife. This stuff absolutely, unequivocally exists. And The Church has authority over it.
I have semi-first hand experience with the supernatural. My mom and brother have much more direct experence. You are 100% correct - it DOES EXIST. And I have seen first-hand the authority of the Church over it. It works. It's why I think "the Exorcist" is such an important film. It shows the victory of the Church over the devil. Even better I think is the more recent film "The Rite."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atticus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 05:43 PM
Hunter/Survivor

Might I suggest the CD set called "Preparing for the Spiritual Battle" by Fr. William Casey and Alex Jones. it deals with the subject at hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluesman60 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 05:12 PM
Totus tuus

Lent

Lent is a season of the Church year. It is the season which immediately precedes the greatest festival of the Liturgical year, which is the Great Feast of Easter. Lent is a penitential season, and there are many things which Catholics traditionally do during Lent. It is a time of preparation for Easter, and a time for penance.

Catholics are expected to participate in the Sacrament of Reconciliation at least once every year. Many do this during Lent. My own parish just had a "communal" reconciliation event, where several priests were available, and they had a brief time before getting in line for confession when people spoke about how to examine your conscience in preparation to make a good confession.

Lent begins with Ash Wednesday, when people go to church to receive the sign of the cross on their forehead - imposed by the priest. The ash is made from burning the palm fronds saved from the prior year's celebration of Palm Sunday - the day when we remember Christ's triumphal entry into Jerusalem.

The ashes are a sign of humility.

During Lent many churches also have "Stations of the Cross." This is a prayer service - usually done on Friday nights in Lent, where there are readings corresponding to the different traditional "stations of the cross" which are the 14 events of Christ's passion from the time of his condemnation by Pontius Pilate, to when His body is laid in the tomb. Often, the people will follow the processional cross around the church from station to station as each of the readings and prayers are rendered. In Rome, there are a number of "station" churches, which were stops along the way.

Lent culminates in "Holy Week" which is the last week of the season. It actually begins on the Thursday before Easter, which is known as "Maundy Thursday". This is to commemorate the Last Supper, and Christ's washing of his Disciple's feet. There is a Mass, and the people receive communion, then the rest of the reserved sacrament is carried from the tabernacle to the rear of the church, and placed on an "altar of repose" while people watch through the night until the next morning. The altar is also stripped. It is a very moving service.

The next day, Friday, we commemorate "Good Friday." Once known as "Black Friday", Good Friday is the day we remember the Passion and death of Jesus. The service begins at 3pm - which is the time we believe Jesus died. Two or three "sacred ministers" (usually a priest and a deacon) enter the church, walk up to the altar and "prostrate" themselves in front of the altar (lie face down facing the altar with arms outspread). This often moves me to tears. There is no Eucharist on Good Friday, however the people still receive communion from elements which are in reserve (the reserved sacrament). Part of this service also is the veneration of the cross. The people come up and one at a time, either touch, or kiss the crucifix before returning to their seats.

Holy Saturday follows Good Friday. For observant Catholics, they may feel fairly lost and listless this day. It is a day for prayer and reflection, and nothing feels right until we go to Mass on the Vigil of Easter (later that night) or on Easter Sunday.

The Great Vigil of Easter. It is difficult to explain the joy and exultation which Catholics feel at the Vigil. The service starts outdoors at sunset. The priest kindles a fire and uses it to bless and light the Pascal Candle. Then, after several prayers, the candle is brought into the church, where all the faithful gathered light their own candles from the one fire until the entire church is lit only by the light of hundreds of candles. The candle is also used to bless the water in the baptismal font. The priest then reads the great proclamation of Easter.

The church is decorated with Easter Lilies. The brass is all freshly polished. The choir has new songs prepared. There is often a guest vocalist or a brass ensemble too. The priest wears white, which is the color of celebration. At the Vigil, we hear 10 readings from Holy Scripture, beginning with the creation and extending throughout the Bible - chronicling the record of God's saving acts in history. The Vigil is where traditionally, the new Christians are baptized, confirmed and receive their first Holy communion. Formerly baptized Christians baptized already in another denomination make a "profession of faith" to become Catholic. And Catholics who have been baptized but never confirmed - receive Confirmation this night.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atticus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2019, 11:04 AM
Totus tuus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300mag View Post
Suffer not a witch to live.
Oh how I wish it was 1650
Burn baby burn.
Sounds mean?
Learn what they want to do to you
It's no wonder the Father's of the church said to flame them.
Nowadays we just convert them.

Here's (again) the testimony of Betty Brennan. She was raised Catholic, and then after a terrible family tragedy, she became a Satanist (witch). She is now a POWERFUL defender of the Catholic Church and its sacraments. The very things Satanists oppose. Here is her story (also in post #1) There are others.

And here's the website of Zachary King - a former Satanic priest, who also converted to the Catholic Faith http://allsaintsministry.org/Home.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Atticus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2019, 09:51 PM

I wasn't drawn to Catholicism. I was dragged to it in the 80s. I let it leave my heart in the 90s and I remained away for 15 years ish.

I came back because of AA. I found Jesus again listening to a bunch of old drunks and all their personal miracles. It was profound.

Now I take comfort in understanding that God's Will is supreme and all is as it should be. I can't control everything. AA taught me that. I handle the little things and the rest is up to God.

I finally have a measure of inner peace. I am blessed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James Clark For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2019, 07:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,989 Times in 5,027 Posts

Quote:
I finally have a measure of inner peace. I am blessed
One thing I will say after having spent the majority of my life in songs and a sermon churches is that the blessings and peace attained through orthodox (little o in this case) liturgical worship is profound. It is one thing to learn about God, it is quite another to experience him and worship him directly. That is something you cannot do effectively if you make everything up as you go along.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Watchingtheweasels For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchingtheweasels View Post
One thing I will say after having spent the majority of my life in songs and a sermon churches is that the blessings and peace attained through orthodox (little o in this case) liturgical worship is profound. It is one thing to learn about God, it is quite another to experience him and worship him directly. That is something you cannot do effectively if you make everything up as you go along.
AA changed me so much that I stick with their method, for dear life really.

I have faith in a higher power of my understanding. That is Jesus and Mary and God.

Church never really sank in well or made sense before AA, when I was young. Now most sermons impact me and improve me, even if it's just a little.

I finally came to see that life is a beautiful gift. AA gave me everything. A beautiful family. A new and good career that I enjoy on most days, and I've held it to this day and progressed forward in it. Financial stability. A lack of mental turmoil. I used to have a constant anger inside me that was so intense I would lose control of it sometimes. It's gone now. I can shut it off immediately and easily. People sometimes tell me that I'm one of the calmest people they've ever seen.

When I went to my first meeting I was a mess. I was near death. I was just trying to work up the balls to put the pistol in my mouth. I was getting close. Building it up in my head and lowering my inhibitions with intoxicants at the same time. I was living in a motel. Collecting Employment Insurance that was about to run out and not even looking for work because I knew I was such a drunk I couldn't hold a job.

I'm a walking example that Jesus loves us and will forgive anything. As long as we honestly try.

God bless
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to James Clark For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2019, 09:42 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,433 Times in 453 Posts

For devout Roman Catholics......Mysticism plays a very important role as it helps you to recognize God on a daily basis.

I love, love, love hanging around Holy, devout and well studied Roman Catholics.

Several months ago I was prayed over by a very Holy Catholic Priest while on a Family Tree retreat. I experienced for the first time the Spirit of Truth.......

After a 16 year search to look up my family tree on my fathers side and always hitting dead ends.....the Holy Spirit delivered the message to me as to where to look.....I was one of the last to be blessed at the end of the night.....10 minutes after being prayed over.....I went onto the internet.....and found a 3rd cousin that had never been there before......she had the geneology, pictures, history of my Father side of the family.

The messages keep coming as the puzzle gets completed.....truly amazing what God can do!

HK
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Henrykjr For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 10:25 PM
Totus tuus

I'm now working in a different office of my "company." I moved there for a lot of reasons. Many of which have to do with getting more exercise, less stress, better ability to concentrate, etc. An added benefit, is that I am now working on the same floor with two of my favorite former managers. Both are Christians. They are not loud about it, but if you know what to look for - you know. One of them is a devout Catholic, who helped me greatly years ago when I was going through a lot of struggles at work and with my Autistic son. She wears a rosary bracelet every day, which is how I found out that she was Catholic. We also have a lot of other things in common, especially the fact that she has a nephew who also suffers from Autism. So I am greatly comforted, not only by the benefits of my new surroundings, but also by the presence of at least one very devout, pious catholic who I can always go talk to. This person spends much of her vacation time going on religious pilgrimages. She always carries a rosary, and is always joyful. Wonderful lady. I'm very happy to know her, and to once again be in touch. God is good. All the time.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atticus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 12:15 AM
Hunter/Survivor

Amen and Rock Steady Atticus !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluesman60 For This Useful Post: