Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-15-2016, 08:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,656 Times in 879 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
And, in case no one has posted it, yet, there are two more books in the series.

One Year After and The Final Day.
Final Day to be released in 2017? Amazon is taking orders for future delivery when released.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to willc453 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2017, 02:47 PM
Don't start no mess

Thanked 11,907 Times in 3,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willc453 View Post
Final Day to be released in 2017? Amazon is taking orders for future delivery when released.
Hardback is now available, paperback to be released in Oct 2017.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revision For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2017, 06:18 PM
Don't start no mess

I just ordered the hardback from Amazon. I can't wait until October.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Revision For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2017, 07:23 PM
Cat and parrot whisperer

Thanked 1,951 Times in 768 Posts

I pre-ordered it and read it on my iPad as soon as it was released. Nicely done. Thought the plot was reaching a bit with the threat to our hero and his community but overall thought it was well thought out and well done. Glad I got to read it!
Old 02-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,676 Times in 1,171 Posts

Read the Final Day. With the way things are today, I can see everything in the book happening, or something pretty close to it. Makes my skin crawl thinking we let it get this bad.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to purplehullpeas For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 05:55 PM
Don't start no mess

I finished The Final Day. Not as compelling as the first two Forstchen books, but enjoyable just the same.

With just a very minor spoiler alert here, I have to mention one excerpt from Chapter Twelve. I'll leave out context, skipping over background details, but at one point, one of the characters states,

Quote:
"I recall stories from before the war of highly placed government officials, damn idiots, using their personal e-mail servers for classified data, and transmitting in the open rather than on government-secured lines."
Pretty sure I know who the author was referring to.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Revision For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 08:52 AM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 4,559 Times in 1,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revision View Post
I finished The Final Day. Not as compelling as the first two Forstchen books, but enjoyable just the same.

With just a very minor spoiler alert here, I have to mention one excerpt from Chapter Twelve. I'll leave out context, skipping over background details, but at one point, one of the characters states,

"I recall stories from before the war of highly placed government officials, damn idiots, using their personal e-mail servers for classified data, and transmitting in the open rather than on government-secured lines."

Pretty sure I know who the author was referring to.
I also just finished reading The Final Day. Great book, though, like Revision, I'm a bigger fan of One Second After and One Year After.

And yes, I think we all know who Forstchen was referring to - especially because The Final Day was published just last month.

These three Forstchen books illustrate something I've observed in my own life: the fact that many highly intelligent, highly educated folks in academia seem to live in a bubble that fosters a Pollyanna-ish view of the world. Forstchen's protagonist, John Matherson, is a professor of military history, having spent many years in the military prior to his academic career, thereby having had access to information about the vulnerabilities that exist in the glue that holds our society together. So he was in a better position than most to appreciate the fragility of our society's infrastructure - yet he made no effort to prepare himself and his family for a SHTF scenario.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 10:22 AM
Don't start no mess

Matherson may not have prepared himself in traditional "stocking up" fashion, but skill-wise, he was far better than many. His leadership ability and decision-making capacity are evidence of this. He led his community through the disaster predicated on the training and education he acquired prior to "The Day".

Your point is well-taken, however. I don't recall reading too much about town folks who had prepared in advance, other than the couple (Ernie and Linda?) in The Final Day who had stored enough provisions to be able to sustain the students who lived with them and worked on the old computers. There were no doubt others in the three books who had done likewise, but I can't recall them now and don't want to go back through the books looking for examples.

But again, your point is a good one, and it speaks to all walks of life when it comes to otherwise intelligent folks who don't have the good sense to prep.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Revision For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 12:22 PM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 4,559 Times in 1,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revision View Post
Matherson may not have prepared himself in traditional "stocking up" fashion, but skill-wise, he was far better than many. His leadership ability and decision-making capacity are evidence of this. He led his community through the disaster predicated on the training and education he acquired prior to "The Day".

Your point is well-taken, however. I don't recall reading too much about town folks who had prepared in advance, other than the couple (Ernie and Linda?) in The Final Day who had stored enough provisions to be able to sustain the students who lived with them and worked on the old computers. There were no doubt others in the three books who had done likewise, but I can't recall them now and don't want to go back through the books looking for examples.

But again, your point is a good one, and it speaks to all walks of life when it comes to otherwise intelligent folks who don't have the good sense to prep.
You are absolutely correct. Matherson's skills and background were invaluable to his community and his family.

When I said, "thereby having had access to information about the vulnerabilities that exist in the glue that holds our society together..."

I had in mind one particular collection of information Matherson had been exposed to when he was in the military. (To avoid a spoiler for those who haven't yet read Forstchen's three Matherson-based books, I won't get specific.)

RE <<There were no doubt others in the three books who had done likewise>>

Yes - don't forget Forest, the one-armed, one-eyed military vet. Forest and his clan were better prepared than most of the townspeople, though not as prepared as Ernie and Linda.
The Following User Says Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2017, 11:13 PM

Half way through book 3, excellent reads. Has me thinking differently on a few things!
The Following User Says Thank You to HMM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 01:45 PM

Great series! Listened to them on audible. The narrators weren't the best but were good enough to hear everything. First book is more about the impact of an EMP than the story. The other 2 books focus on the storyline more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2017, 06:58 AM
Non ducor, duco.

Wow the three book series is brilliant
Old 07-03-2017, 06:30 AM

Here's a great way to cook after in the MP you guys might find interesting

https://youtu.be/VypiS5X31aA
Old 02-13-2018, 01:02 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD WOLF View Post
Here's a great way to cook after in the MP you guys might find interesting

https://youtu.be/VypiS5X31aA
I have a solar powered oven, but haven't used it much in years. The stuff cooked in it seems to be halfway between a conventional oven and a microwave, as far as crunchiness goes. This might not work for you if you're in a location where cloudy weather is the norm, but here in Arizona, it works. It just takes some fiddling and a little patience. It's not fast like a microwave.

And I'm in the middle of re-reading One Second After, this time to take notes on things to do and change in my own prepping.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:05 PM
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot Mind View Post
Wow the three book series is brilliant
I definitely thought book 3 was the worst of the lot lol. Reading the first one as a junior in high school got me interested in prepping, because it seemed like something that could possibly happen.

By book 3, the series was pretty far outside any conceivable reality. It was still a fun read (I do like science fiction), but nothing like the first book.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:56 PM

This book was what finally got me to actually prep instead of making lists and planning to prep. I had to stop reading to cry. I held my dogs. I worried about my dad, but took consolation in him having type 2 diabetes. Reading about the old vet that was thirsty at the nursing home reaffirmed my never leaving my parents or father in law. It really does make you think differently. I didn’t sleep well for weeks.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 38,827 Times in 11,568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flofli View Post
This book was what finally got me to actually prep instead of making lists and planning to prep. I had to stop reading to cry. I held my dogs. I worried about my dad, but took consolation in him having type 2 diabetes. Reading about the old vet that was thirsty at the nursing home reaffirmed my never leaving my parents or father in law. It really does make you think differently. I didnít sleep well for weeks.

Not trying to be a jerk but if a book kept you from sleeping, you probably need to look for ways to harden yourself more. When SHTf it will be a massive shock to all and many will die because they let it so traumatize them they can not act. Inaction can lead to death.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlovesjeeps71 View Post
Not trying to be a jerk but if a book kept you from sleeping, you probably need to look for ways to harden yourself more. When SHTf it will be a massive shock to all and many will die because they let it so traumatize them they can not act. Inaction can lead to death.
I appreciate the concern, but donít worry about my being hardened. I lived under similar conditions of this book in a third world country. I lost sleep because I could see it happening and I personally know of so many that would not make it. Some because of medical conditions, others due to age, most of my family living in major cities and not giving prepping a second thought. Donít confuse my empathy with weakness
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flofli For This Useful Post: