Olympia Edge - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos Knives, swords and spears - anything sharp.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: Brigand Arms Carbon Fiber Edge Handguard AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 04-07-2017 09:30 PM
Eddie Salter: Creekside Field Edge Turkey Hunting AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 04-03-2017 09:30 PM
Greatness is always on the edge of failure. Trump will have setbacks no doubt. slackercruster Political News and Discussion 9 02-06-2017 09:01 AM
Straight edge or recurve? SurvivalGoat Knives, Swords & Axes 9 12-13-2016 06:12 AM
SOG Key Knife with Straight Edge Folding 1.5" Stainless Steel Blade - $2.98 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 11-02-2016 01:13 PM

Old 04-11-2017, 03:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,967 Times in 3,817 Posts
Default Olympia Edge

Advertise Here

One of my roomies works for a agricultural supply place here on the Island and her boss is pretty much a woodsman/back to the land advocate. He is constantly bringing in new items, especially stuff he can sell inexpensive, to expand their stock.

He recently brought in a product called "Olympia Edge" Knives. They are apparently made for "Circle Sales and Import" in Montreal Quebec but manufactured in China. Their website is:

https://www.circleimport.ca/

My roomie bought one ($20 bucks); folding three blade with knife, small saw, skinner blade with gut hook. We are playing with it to judge quality and value.

It is not bad, for a $20 knife; admittedly, better than I would have expected. Don't know how well it will stand up to any use though...

We are just starting to play with it and I have found next to nothing about it on the Net.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with them or the company.

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Writer's Block For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 01:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,967 Times in 3,817 Posts

Review step one:

First stage of my "field test" of the knife today.

The saw blade is small, so anything more than about three inches in diameter is a waste of time. Other than that, I tried it on 1.5 inch green wood and dry and it performed well. Due to its size, I had to keep changing my angle of attack in order to keep getting a good stroke, but other than that worked better than I though. Still looked really good and felt like the teeth were still sharp after.

Main blade worked really well. I do NOT baton with a folder, but I did my usual test:

1) Slices paracord and nylon rope no problem.

2) Made a tent stake. About 10" long and 0.75" diameter finished. Took off the bark, shaped the wood, put a point on it, cut a tie off notch, etc. Crude shaping just so that it would work.

3) Did some "fine whittling" on the same stake. After making the stake, I used the same blade (to test its retaining a sharp edge) to smooth out the point into a cone shape, smooth the stake sides etc, using fine shaving and using different areas of the blade to test the edge.

4) Cut cords again.

It passed no problem. It got dark, so I am not going to test further until tomorrow.

After some further testing (making a basic walking stick and fashioning a few more stakes or such) I will try to put a new edge on it.

And, again, if anyone knows anything about this company or its products, input would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Writer's Block For This Useful Post: