Pack for bob - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pack / 3 Day BOB streamer Looking for - want to buy 10 11-27-2012 02:52 PM
Pack for BOB TDFbound Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 01-01-2012 12:02 PM
How should I pack my bob? Domindart Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 30 12-21-2011 12:04 AM
Anyone have/use this pack/BOB? Wall*e Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 05-23-2011 09:45 PM
BoB vs. 72hr pack vs. Survival pack bigbmc Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 20 04-10-2011 09:48 PM
Your BOB pack? SWThomas Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 11-14-2010 03:33 PM
This is why I pack a BOB. Basic Human Unit Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 04-01-2010 03:35 PM
A.L.I.C.E pack BOB list QuartermasterJoe General Discussion 0 10-10-2009 02:30 PM
Pack for BOB??? fragmall Reviews and questions 19 01-16-2009 08:57 PM
My new BOB/Hunting pack danpauselius Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 02-27-2008 08:17 PM

Old 07-20-2016, 10:06 PM
Rookie

Default Pack for bob

Advertise Here

Hey everyone!

I've finally started to solidify the list of contents for my bob. At the beginning I decided to use an old duffel I had laying around for the pack until I knew what I had to store, and then I would figure out what I needed in a bag. I've also tried out a few with different features, but haven't found my "grail" pack yet. I'm hoping y'all can help with that.

I've figured out that I would like something in the 45-55L range with molle webbing. I would also like to have a hip strap, but it has to be able to wrap around me at about 48 in. at the waist. I'm about 5'11". Internal frame is preferred.

My budget is about $100 for this right now, and i would be stretching to push it any higher.

Do any of You have any suggestions?

Right now my two favorites are the Condor 3 day assault bag and the Coleman etesian.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2016, 01:36 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 8,004 Times in 3,040 Posts

Visit a local Army surplus store, pawn shop near a military base, or a DAV thrift shop and see if there are any secondhand military packs available... I've seen a lot of molle in these places pretty cheap. Inspect carefully and thoroughly before buying.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 07:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,070 Times in 4,128 Posts

As well as the above advice, I would also think of the terrain you're going to cover. If it is predominantly road think about a rolling back pack, thus you don't have to carry a heavy weight unless you have to. If your biking then paniers might be an option.

There are some great bags on Ebay.

Do remember a good backpack needs to fit you properly, so visit the shop to get the size and make you need, and then buy it cheaper elsewhere.

For me personally, most of my route is road so I've gone with a rolling backpack for the main Bob. For my every day trip bag it's a 10 Litre 2 internal pocket with waist straps and side mesh pockets.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016, 08:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,290 Posts

I have the snugpak Sleeka force 35litre pack. It doubles as my get home bag so it is always in my truck. Definitely the best pack I have ever owned.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=desktop

Then there is always the snugpak rocket pack. It is the same pack only larger (40 liters)

https://www.amazon.com/Rocket-Pak-Sy...ak+rocket+pack

lastly there is the 70 liter bergen backpack

https://www.amazon.com/SnugPak-92191...ak+rocket+pack

All great packs at affordable prices.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin94 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 09:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,183 Times in 3,579 Posts

I went with a 5.11 Rush 24 for my Vehicle bag.
https://www.amazon.com/5-11-Tactical...=5.11+backpack

Not too big not too small and plenty of external attachment points.

As for a BOB I use what I'd normally go backpacking with as my model.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 09:23 AM
King of Canada

Thanked 9,033 Times in 3,115 Posts

I may be one of the few, but I use a Maxpedition Gyrfalcon for an EDC/GHB/BOB.

It covers all my needs, from our +35c summers, down to our -55c winters (things are added/taken out depending on season).

But I'm a minimalist; I really on my skills and knowledge to survive, as well as the few tools that I need.

I have a few bigger bags, but I have rarely used them in the last 10 years.

I am more often in the swamp/muskeg and tightly packed pine forests up here.

But I've learned to use less and use more (skills/knowledge).

Good luck on your journey!
The Following User Says Thank You to HeavyHauler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 09:23 AM
Just some guy

Thanked 18,144 Times in 5,972 Posts

If you have the funds I'd say get it. For me it was one of the last pieces of expensive gear I've bought. Other areas were more pressing than body armor.

I have it but my goal is to never feel the need to have to wear it, provided I have a choice. None of my preps and plans would put me in a position where I may be getting shot at. I don't plan on moving around much unless forced, and I sure as hell won't be doing any scavenging in areas where body armor is a must. Remember this: body armor does not make you invincible.

I finally shelled out the dough and outfitted myself and family because there is always that chance I may have to abandon my little hidey hole and travel through dangerous areas. Or some other situation I didn't plan on or prepare for accordingly. Just never know.

Everyone's situation s different meaning what works for some may not work for others. I don't know what your plans are post shtf so perhaps putting a priority on body armor makes sense because of your circumstances or location.

If you really think your going to be taking fire, get it. If any of your plans are going to put you in situations where your likely to be shot at, get it.

If not, focus on food and supplies first. You know 100% that your going to need those items regardless of what exactly causes shtf.
The Following User Says Thank You to iyaayas For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 09:31 AM
Original Orange President

Thanked 1,172 Times in 550 Posts

If you want to go lighter, don't use a bag with PALs webbing all over it. Then don't pack so much heavy stuff.

There are a lot of good bags under $100, even under $75. Just depends on what you want. Your dufflebag wasn't a bag idea. I think what most people find is that if they have the space, they use the space. So if you want to pack less, use a smaller bag.
The Following User Says Thank You to DadeMurphy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Just some guy

No idea how I managed that but my reply up there was intended for another thread.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iyaayas For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 10:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,372 Times in 2,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyaayas View Post
No idea how I managed that but my reply up there was intended for another thread.
I was reading that and wondering WTF? Have to say, that was some pretty impressive post screw up work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Endiron For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 10:44 AM
King of Canada

Thanked 9,033 Times in 3,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiron View Post
I was reading that and wondering WTF? Have to say, that was some pretty impressive post screw up work.
I was thinking the same.

Very impressive!
The Following User Says Thank You to HeavyHauler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 12:11 PM
Target Shooter

Default Pack for bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Bear View Post
As well as the above advice, I would also think of the terrain you're going to cover. If it is predominantly road think about a rolling back pack, thus you don't have to carry a heavy weight unless you have to. If your biking then paniers might be an option.

There are some great bags on Ebay.

Do remember a good backpack needs to fit you properly, so visit the shop to get the size and make you need, and then buy it cheaper elsewhere.

For me personally, most of my route is road so I've gone with a rolling backpack for the main Bob. For my every day trip bag it's a 10 Litre 2 internal pocket with waist straps and side mesh pockets.

I also prefer wheeled backpacks for BOBs as asphalt is the only way to make significant progress where I live. Keeping 30-40lbs of gear off your back and rolling on the ground as much possible just makes sense, yet you still want full mobility to hike it through the woods.

If you know how to skate, you can double to triple your speed/distance for the same time/energy expenditure. A set of larger-wheeled, longer-wheelbase speed skates start to approach a bicycle in terms efficiency, yet are easily carried over knarly mountains, and perhaps more importantly, are less appealing to bad guys (vs a bicycle, given shoe size and specific skill).

The Following User Says Thank You to reppans For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 08:39 PM
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiron View Post
It was intended for a thread about some dude asking about body armor.

Still no idea wth I did.

Your welcome for the laugh.
The Following User Says Thank You to iyaayas For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 09:40 PM
Trapper

They are not cheap new but i have found many camelback brand packs cheap at military stores or on post yard sales. My favorite small pack for the last 5 years or more has been a first generatiin camelback bfm in od green. Think i got it for 20 bucks at an on post yard sale.
The Following User Says Thank You to Broylz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 10:39 PM
Hunter

I would suggest investing in an Alice pack or similar

Note if you are anywhere from 35-90 min from home by road or rail you be better off camping out some where because you will be rid locked for escape..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Redlineshooter For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2016, 10:09 AM

Not trying to be rude but if you truly have a 48" waist your number 1 survival priority needs to be weight loss and improving your physical fitness. Having a bag full of gear is useless if you're not fit enough to carry it.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Rookie

48" in muscle, not fat. Weight lifting
The Following User Says Thank You to TheDancingSousa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2016, 10:59 AM
Hating the new Amerika.

Thanked 6,198 Times in 2,011 Posts

I have a Snugpak Bergen. I love it. It fits a little differently than most packs though. It is a minimalist design in terms of pockets, and it does not contain the MOLLE webbing you want. The Bergen is lighter than the Condor 3 Day Assault Pack, and has about twice the capacity so no MOLLE should be needed. I ordered packs through Amazon until I found one that worked for me. If they did not fit, I returned them for free. There is no place around me that sells Snugpak backpacks so I could not try them on prior to purchasing. The Bergen I purchased was about $120 with free prime shipping.

Another pack I would check out would be an ALICE Hellcat. You should be able to find one of those in your budget. I do not know if the wait strap would have enough length for you.

I also find it incredible that you have a 48" waist due to weightlifting. If you are serious, you must be a mountain of a man. My question for you is this. How is your cardiovascular fitness? I have seen a lot of muscular men that cannot perform well in cardiovascular type of events. I work as a firefighter, and I have to develop my body for both strength and endurance. It is kind of nice to have good endurance when I enter a poisonous atmosphere wearing a small tank of compressed air so that I can make my limited air supply last as long as possible. Functional fitness tips mere strength any day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kfilly For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2016, 11:09 AM
Rookie

I've been a member of serious matching band for the last 8 years and jog in the off season. That may sound silly when asked about cardiovascular fitness, but that **** is hard. Haha
Old 07-22-2016, 11:13 AM
Rookie

And it's mostly muscle. I was crunched for time because I'm teaching at a band camp. I last measured at 44 when I was buying pants, and that was about a year ago. I haven't been keeping up, so I figured four inches would give me a nice cushion just in case.

On topic, the SOG barrage looks pretty good for my budget. And I still really like the etensia since I found one at Walmart for $60 and it fit pretty well.