getting to and from remote property without a road legal vehicle - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How I Built a Road-Legal Trailer. Watch Ryder DIY - Do It Yourself 67 08-20-2015 12:43 PM
Mass exodus and your remote property... KidOffGrid General Discussion 13 02-06-2014 10:36 PM
Alaska rare remote property for SALE! freedomlovingman Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 36 08-07-2013 03:55 PM
Best off-road vehicle? Floydfan Vehicles & Transportation 122 04-18-2013 02:34 PM
Well drilling on remote retreat property? Libertay Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 13 10-03-2012 01:28 AM
Off Road/On road Vehicle Support_Sys_Alpha Vehicles & Transportation 56 09-03-2012 11:07 AM
Best off road vehicle cilarnen Vehicles & Transportation 263 04-03-2012 11:44 AM
Remote Property Surveillance Setups?? YWHIC DIY - Do It Yourself 13 04-28-2011 01:29 PM
Are Property taxes legal and a comparison of the Communist Manifesto Mtnman Mike Financial Forum 6 12-10-2010 11:28 AM
Road legal tank. Yorkshire Boy Vehicles & Transportation 3 06-15-2008 06:53 PM

Old 06-06-2016, 09:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,299 Times in 6,272 Posts

Advertise Here

We're not Deep South but we are below the mason-Dixon line we have a saying around here , and I'm sure Alaska a spud the northern tier states have something similar
" we don't give a damn how y'all do it up north"

The biggest problem is people moving in somewhere and doing their darnedest to turn it in to where they came from.

BA as I understood it a lot of the property available in Alaska is "landlocked" and an easement could cost more than the property. is that accurate?
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2016, 10:12 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,412 Times in 8,960 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

You might consider have a repair shop, or a racing hobbyist build you a street legal machine that will be close to what a large quad would do. A mini-Jeep, so to speak.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:39 PM
TechoBilly

He is going to Alaska and not Oklahoma so I will help this little fella,. Jap mini trucks
http://cookinletminitrucks.com

The Following User Says Thank You to DemBone For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2016, 10:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,299 Times in 6,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemBone View Post
He is going to Alaska and not Oklahoma so I will help this little fella,. Jap mini trucks

We got those here just without the triangular wheels, our are round.
That's got to be a bumpy ride
Old 06-07-2016, 12:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,636 Posts

OP, be careful with remote property if you don't have easements to it. Having property that you can access from the road system will increase the price tag a little, but the ability to access the land has obvious significant value. I know of owners who have no access whatsoever to their property due to no easement rights.

If you have easement rights to remote property you still may not be able to get to it during the summer no matter what vehicle you have unless it's off an established trail. It can still be tricky off a trail during a wet summer. It's pretty common to see trucks with trailers parked all along the road system where people are off at there cabins using ATV in the summer and snow machines during the winter. A good ATV is always much better than a tricked out truck. Again, good luck even with the best ATV for remote access unless it's on a good trail. Accessing remote property during the winter by dog team or snow machine is an easier matter if you have easements.

Also be aware that even property with southern exposure can get no sunlight during parts of the year. This impacts power consideration. Some areas don't produce well water. Some areas have very confusing hunting or fishing restrictions. If the property is near popular hunting or fishing spots you may not be able to keep people off your property. It would be good to have mineral rights. In my borough you need to have water rights. Its possible that someone else may have applied for and received water rights for the property. Do your homework.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2016, 01:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 37,048 Times in 11,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wf80h View Post
yea only for a little bitch like yourself with no survival skills.

hey maybe you should take your own advice and head back down to the lower 48, i think alaska might too much for YOU. which is why you're sitting on your fat ass drinking diet cola and talking **** to random people on the internet, instead of living out at your "remote cabin" like the "last frontiersman" you think you are. what a ****ing ego. your name is ****ing hillarious. what a total tool faggot.

and why the **** shouldnt i be able to drive my atv through downtown? or anywhere else i please? bootlicking faggot.

oh by the way... nice to meet you too, new neighbor! pff
Mods ban sub 10 post count newbie in:

Lol
The Following User Says Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2016, 01:40 PM

so many retarded *******s on internet forums, unbelievable.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajohn View Post
OP, be careful with remote property if you don't have easements to it. Having property that you can access from the road system will increase the price tag a little, but the ability to access the land has obvious significant value. I know of owners who have no access whatsoever to their property due to no easement rights.

If you have easement rights to remote property you still may not be able to get to it during the summer no matter what vehicle you have unless it's off an established trail. It can still be tricky off a trail during a wet summer. It's pretty common to see trucks with trailers parked all along the road system where people are off at there cabins using ATV in the summer and snow machines during the winter. A good ATV is always much better than a tricked out truck. Again, good luck even with the best ATV for remote access unless it's on a good trail. Accessing remote property during the winter by dog team or snow machine is an easier matter if you have easements.

Also be aware that even property with southern exposure can get no sunlight during parts of the year. This impacts power consideration. Some areas don't produce well water. Some areas have very confusing hunting or fishing restrictions. If the property is near popular hunting or fishing spots you may not be able to keep people off your property. It would be good to have mineral rights. In my borough you need to have water rights. Its possible that someone else may have applied for and received water rights for the property. Do your homework.
tell me more about this... i wasnt initially too concerned about the implications of blazing a trail through the forest to the "subdivision"... am i wrong in assuming that i can do that without any sorts of problems from the "state", for blazing through different park areas or state land? isnt it legal under certain conditions?

ahh so people do park along the roads and leave their vehicles... but when i lived in ester, there was a car on the side of the road stuck there for a long time... im pretty sure it had orange tickets on it. isnt it illegal to leave your vehicle on the side like that? is there a time frame where its ok and not ok? what about the safety of it? i figured my car would surely be trashed and robbed by the time i got back.

these are the properties i am thinking about. some of them are on the river, so i could leave my vehicle at a boat entry for long periods of time?

and others are pretty far back there, and it looks like there are all kinds of rivers from the road to the property. im guessing these properties are the types that would only be accessible by plane, because of the potential legal, and logistical issues, with trailblazing to the land... correcto?

all of the different issues in your last paragraph about mineral, water rights... do i figure those things out with the borough office?

is that area depicted in the picture, near popular hunting destinations? where exactly are the popular hunting destinations?

id also like to know what you know about the subsistence system? because if i were to live out there, i would very much like the ability to legally shoot a moose anytime i need meat. is this a realistic expectation in your opinion? ive heard of a person who owned and possibly lived on, long term, a remote property, and yet was not able to be granted any sort of subsistence hunting ability on it. ive heard that the subsistence system is extremely complicated, convoluted, and difficult to actually qualify for.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemBone View Post

going to alaska? you dont even know where i am...
Old 06-10-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Alaskan View Post
Aww, what's so hard to believe about that? Just because I live in Alaska, I can't have a little place to get away?

I can't help it, I've always had a bit of an itch to feed the trolls. Cheap entertainment, ya know?

Let's see... Born and raised in Alaska makes me an Alaskan...
By any reasonable definition, I live in the boonies, the "backwoods"...

Seems to check out. Problem?

Who was it that said "It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt"? I can't remember, but in any event, you would do well to heed that advice
feed the trolls? you come to my legitimate thread, insult me, berate me... and IM the troll? how ****ing stupid are you?
Old 06-10-2016, 03:14 PM
Last Frontiersman

Thanked 4,104 Times in 1,204 Posts

Ohh yes yes of course! Your "legitimate thread"...

Where you start with the premise of "I'll just drive my off road vehicle that's not road legal into downtown Fairbanks any time I need supplies and everybody will have to deal with it," to making a supply run "once every six months to several years," to "I'll just blaze a trail through whatever woods I need to to get to my property" even though all that land is owned by somebody who isn't you, and then to "I want to shoot a moose whenever I need meat."

You are in so far over your head it's not even funny. You don't have the first clue about how to go about any of this.

Nobody in the state of Alaska is going "several years" without either visiting a store or having supplies dropped off. You can take that to the bank.

"Blazing a trail through the woods to your property" is very much illegal when you don't own the property. You can bet your ass there will be legal implications for doing such a thing on private or state property.

Subsistence hunting in Alaska is primarily for Native tribes to whom it's an important part of the culture. There is a very limited application in which others may be granted a subsistence permit, but good luck. You aren't the only one who wants to "shoot a moose any time you need meat." It's not a "complicated, convoluted system that's extremely difficult to apply for," it's just not a program that was intended for you.

My stupidity is not even CLOSE to your biggest problem with this whole debacle

Quote:
feed the trolls? you come to my legitimate thread, insult me, berate me... and IM the troll? how ****ing stupid are you?
Old 06-10-2016, 06:58 PM

http://s33.postimg.org/7mhgxtmhr/image.png

http://s33.postimg.org/jn8h2ktnj/image.png

anyone gone down that trail? whats back there/how far does it go?
Old 06-11-2016, 07:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,636 Posts

Quote:
http://s33.postimg.org/7mhgxtmhr/image.png

http://s33.postimg.org/jn8h2ktnj/image.png

anyone gone down that trail? whats back there/how far does it go?
The area that you circled is pretty remote, and that's a large circle. The further to the left you go, the more remote it is. I suppose if the property on the extreme right side of the circle, and is a few miles from the parks highway, then you might be able to get to it in the winter by dogs sled or snow machine. But that's rugged terrain that probably fly in stuff. As I said in my post above, if you don't have easement rights you will have problems. My comments about vehicles parking on the side of the road is for short duration. It sounds like you want to do what Richard Proenneke did. It can be done, but not everyone can be what Richard was.

You can google the hunting and fishing regs for the sections of land you are interested in. Hunting and subsistence living is very complicated and is different in each area.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:43 PM
Last Frontiersman

Personal attacks are the very first sign that you have absolutely no legitimate point left to make. Just know that, for future reference.

Quoting you demonstrates the illegitimate nature of your thread, because you have all sorts of unrealistic and illegal expectations about "roughing it" in Alaska.

It is, for the most part, a free country. However, a free country does not mean that there aren't laws that need to be followed.

That said, if you would rather not abide by the laws of a civilized society, it is 100% your decision. Just be forewarned, it won't end well for you.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:57 PM
Last Frontiersman

Ahhhh This has to be my favorite post yet!

Let's break it down, piece by piece.

First, who is "the young couple that runs a trap line in ANWR"? They can "basically clear whatever trees they feel like"? You don't know the first thing about ANWR, do you? Because ANWR looks like this...

Yes, as a matter of survival, someone who only owns 1 acre of land could run out of firewood in short order. However, that is not the state's concern, to ensure that you have enough firewood. It is absolutely illegal to cut down trees on public land without going through the proper channels. This attitude is absolutely beyond baffling to me.

There are personal use permits available if one wishes to cut down firewood on public land. You can read all about them here:

http://forestry.alaska.gov/wood/firewood

No, they aren't selling "lots of properties" in the middle of nowhere. There are no plans to build a road out in to the middle of nowhere, hundreds of miles from any sort of town or city. The state isn't interested in you "offering that service for free". And the people who own the property don't want it either, because they bought that property precisely because it's in the middle of nowhere and not accessible by road.

Since you asked for a specific statute, here's one. Not the only one, but I don't care enough to search very hard...

AS 09.45.730. Trespass By Cutting or Injuring Trees or Shrubs

It's people like you that nobody wants coming up here. People who think that it's a free-for-all where nobody cares what you do and you can hunt all the animals and do whatever you want to the land and nobody will bat an eye. People who think they're some hotshot, saying things like "I can offer this service to the state and residents for free! Why wouldn't they take it?" Here's a hint, partner. Nobody wants your "services".

Please. Stay home.

Quote:
well i would appreciate it if you could address a couple of other things in my post... not that its your responsibility to answer all of my questions, its just that i dont really have anyone else to ask, i dont currently know anyone here. but, i know that the young couple that runs the trapline in ANWR can basically clear whatever trees they feel like, during the course of their activities up there. they cleared a trail by hand over the course of several weeks through that park and as far as i can tell, that is perfectly legal. and in all sanity, it couldnt possibly be illegal to log trees on state land for firewood. i mean, as a matter of survival, somone who only owns 1 acre of land, could conceivably run out of firewood very quickly, and would need to cut wood down from state land, or other non-privately owned land. so what im saying is it must be ok to log a certain amount of wood from state land, the question is, how much? it is reasonable to assume that there could be some legal issues with clearing a long path all the way through to those properties, but at the same time, i would expect that if they are selling so many properties back there, they must be expecting to build a road at some point. i cant really understand why it would be unacceptable for me to basically offer up that service to the state, and also to all of the residents back there, for free. can anyone cite the actual law about cutting down trees in state land? what are the chances of getting permission from the state to clear the trail? im getting the feeling like you've helped me as much as you care to, but would appreciate whatever advice anyone is able to give.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 6,881 Times in 1,044 Posts

Just looking from a logistic perspective I see issues. 4 wheeler and snowmobiles have horrible gas mileage. You are going to have issues of carrying enough gas to get from town to your land and back.

Then you are going to have issues of carrying enough supplies on your vehicle to justify a trip. You could use a trailer but that means even worse gas mileage and poor handling in rough terrain which looks like you would have from google earth.

You might be able to arrange someone to drop off supplies in Anderson or some other town closer to your land than Fairbanks. Of course that would cost extra money.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout Survivor View Post
Just looking from a logistic perspective I see issues. 4 wheeler and snowmobiles have horrible gas mileage. You are going to have issues of carrying enough gas to get from town to your land and back.

Then you are going to have issues of carrying enough supplies on your vehicle to justify a trip. You could use a trailer but that means even worse gas mileage and poor handling in rough terrain which looks like you would have from google earth.

You might be able to arrange someone to drop off supplies in Anderson or some other town closer to your land than Fairbanks. Of course that would cost extra money.
thanks for the input.

are you sure that they would have bad mileage even at very low speeds?
Old 06-11-2016, 09:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 6,881 Times in 1,044 Posts

You would be looking at 10-12 with a trailer if your lucky with a snowmobile. Four wheeler might get 11-13. Might be even worse with wilderness and hauling a load.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:17 PM

thought i would leave this here for reference.

"If you were to average out the fuel economy estimates of all of the 2011 ATVs/ UTVs being offered here in the US, you would discover a respectable 39.47 mile per gallon figure- essentially econo-car territory! Of course massive multi-cylinder UTVs often return real-world numbers to the tune of 10 miles per gallon, while we personally had an air-cooled, oil-injected 50cc two-stroke mini on hand that was netting close to 70 mpg under normal use. This is why averages can be a bit deceiving."
Old 06-11-2016, 10:22 PM
Last Frontiersman

Wow... Lots and lots of insults and presumptions, with absolutely zero evidence to back any of it up. Also completely and utterly wrong. In fact, if you were to look through my post history here, you would see how inaccurate every single one of your accusations is. And yet, you leave the majority of my posts unanswered. Interesting...

You are correct. There are lots of properties "for sale". Many, many, many of them.

They are not actually selling lots of them. Do you see the difference? There are many that are being offered for sale. There are not many that are actually being sold. The devil is always in the details, ain't it?

Go ahead and offer some of those people to build them a road for free. I'm telling you right now, 99% of them don't want it. They bought the property because it's hard to access. They absolutely don't want to make it easy for everyone to access.

The state doesn't want it, either. Building a road that extends hundreds of miles west of Healy, into an unpopulated area, is very low on their list of legislative priorities.

I'm not going to attempt to argue with you about the things that people "should" be able to do. Everybody has their own views on what pre-existing natural rights we possess, and it's next to impossible to debate them. So I'll stick to the legal arguments, because there's substance to base them on. And the legal arguments say, you can't just go out anywhere in the woods, cut down any trees you want to build a house anywhere you want or for firewood, and shoot/trap/catch any animals you want for food, any time you need it.

Nowhere did I say that you don't have a right to do those things. You absolutely do. But that right does not exist in a vacuum. It's not unlimited; the natural resources belong to everyone in the state of Alaska, and each and every one has equal right and access under the law to them. They are not yours exclusively to do with as you please.

There are legal avenues through which you can do all of those things, but they are not without limitations. And rightly so.

I built a career working in rural Alaska, and have spent years in the North specifically. I've been everywhere from Kotzebue to the Northeast corner of ANWR, all the way south to Prince of Wales Island, and farther West than Unalaska, and everywhere in between. I'm reasonably well versed in what can be found in the various regions of the state.

You really ought to tone down the swearing and the childish insults. No reasonably mature man would ever act in such a manner as to make one wonder whether he still gets time-outs from mommy.