Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Gaza Raid a Precursor to Iran Air Raid? KaBar67 General Discussion 17 07-27-2014 05:51 AM
To Raid or To Trade one mile north General Discussion 61 10-27-2011 11:47 PM
ATF raid. porsche2nr General Discussion 13 08-31-2011 05:39 PM
Raiders! we will all raid! dirk21 Urban Survival 49 08-29-2011 09:29 AM
Would you raid? Matamus Urban Survival 92 08-29-2011 07:54 AM
If you could raid. Antwan23 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 133 03-17-2011 11:53 AM
Woul you raid? Cougar8000 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 133 02-27-2009 11:25 AM
Food Raid? KYprep Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 12-06-2008 10:59 AM

Old 04-22-2016, 01:46 PM

Thanked 2,876 Times in 44 Posts
Default The Raid

Advertise Here

A longer story I am working on...

The Raid (Part 1)

“Derek, we can’t do this, this isn’t who we are!” Jeremy was at a loss, knowing they had to do something and knowing this was not it.

Derek looked again at Jeremy, “I will do it alone if I have to, but I will not, I cannot, sit here and do nothing. Our families are starving. I never thought I would ever consider this, but what else can we do? We asked for help, just for our children, and they gave us nothing but a threat to shoot us if we ever came around again. How can you look at your kids and not realize we have to do this?!”

Jeremy reached a hand to his friend’s shoulder, “Derek, that man was just as nervous and afraid as we were. How many desperate people do you think have come to his place asking the same thing?”

Derek shrugged the hand off, “I know what you’re saying, but I am not letting my family die. If that makes me the bad guy here then so be it. With our skills and gear, we can go in after dark and probably take him and anyone else in the house without having to hurt them. “

Jeremy was not convinced, “But what if we can’t Derek? What if we screw it up and we fight?”

“Then we screw it up, we fight, and they lose.” Derek moved across the room and opened a footlocker. Reaching in, he removed a PVS14 with head mount and set it on the bench. Reaching back in the footlocker he pulled out a package of AA batteries and set them with the mount.

Looking back at Jeremy, “Start prepping your gear. We are doing this. Don’t think for a moment I don’t know it is our fault, yours and mine. We didn’t prepare soon enough, even when the slide started we both thought the Army would take care of us, move the families on-post, circle the wagons. Bull****. What happened we saw too late coming, like a deer in the headlight. At least we took what gear and weapons we could. That free for all at the company after the command announcement of the lockdown was the only blessing we have had. We should have been out of town so much earlier, we should have been prepared. What a joke we are, and on the verge of becoming what we most despise, the bad guy.”

Jeremy stared at his friend…all these years together, from when they first met in Ranger school, all the years together in the Regiment, the combat tours, marriages, families, all of it shared. Jeremy knew Derek was right, but they still had to try and do the right thing. “Derek, ok, I am going with you, but we need to try and talk to him first. I am willing to bet he is not alone there. There were flowers out front. What man plants and cares for flowers out here in the boonies? I am pretty sure he has a family there and if we can just try and talk to him again, maybe we can work something out, some kind of trade, something. We cannot just go in there and take it.”

Derek stared at the floor, at the ceiling, and every emotion ran across his face, “Ok, we will try it your way, but we go loaded for bear, prepared for the worst.”

Jeremy smiled, knowing he had finally reached his friend, “Derek, you’re so dumb, there aren’t any bears around here.” Derek smiled back, just shaking his head, “Ok smartass, let’s go talk to Terry and Laura, and then we can leave at dark.”
Quick reply to this message
The Following 77 Users Say Thank You to Long_Hunter For This Useful Post:
2medicine woman, angerhater, avalanche5, azrancher, badgerland, Bagman1957, bigal1, Biker, bill may, bjoyce09, brettcar, cavsgt, Crim Tim, dandanthearmyman, darth, David Bevis, davis08, dch, divinginn, Dragon Tamer, dumptruckerr, eritico, finallyhere, flat possum, Freebirde, FreshPotatoes, Gipsy Smith, grandma, gunnerpwd, Hilltopper, Huggy Bear Uno, Hunter Don, inMichigan, ipchay61, jamison01, jkdetonator, jwh123, kaijafon, Kay, Ken M, kennr, kevinlee, kittyluvr1, LDSDad, LibertysSon, lyn, mdlbldrmatt135, minitruck83, Missy, mmamom, monkeypunch, mooman1956, mortdooley, MSTA57, ncwebnut, Notchman, nuflyr, old disturbed guy, Pezz, Pitbulld45, remembergoliad, RickVA, robertb, rubeixcube, smitty60, Srchdawg, Supermag, TENNGRIZZ, texican2, tired-medic, Todd-J, topdoc, tpals, w3kmp, Wikdcard344, ydderf, yoopermac
Old 04-22-2016, 01:48 PM

“What if they come back, will you really shoot them?” Marge asked as she sat down across from her husband.

Mark looked up from his coffee, “I don’t believe they had children, but even if they did, whatever we would give them we take from our own mouths. Things are not getting better and I don’t believe we have seen the bottom of this hole yet. We cannot spare anything. What we gave as charity those first few months was probably too much and in six months or so, we will wish we had it all back.”

Marge stared at her husband, knowing he was troubled by all of this, “You didn’t answer my question.”

Mark sipped from his cup and looked down, “Warning shots, but I don’t think I would shoot at them unless we were in danger, unless I really had no choice. I hope it doesn’t come to that, I hope they do not come back.”

In the back of his mind, he knew they would come back. They had seen the gardens, the fruit trees, and Mark was pretty sure they had heard the pigs and chickens hidden in the barns. Yeah, they would be back and he needed to be ready. They needed to be ready.

Mark picked up his coffee and walked out the back door onto the deck. Looking across the field to the far wood line, he wondered where those two had come from. Something was familiar about them, but he couldn’t place it. They were scraggly looking, maybe shaven and cleaned up he would know them, but then again, maybe not.

Marge refilled her mug and followed her husband outside, trying to see what he saw, to see those men the way he did. Marge always wanted to see the good in people, but the way the world had come undone, the good in many people was nowhere to be found, buried under the desolation of their new lives.

She leaned over on the rail, “Where do you think they came from? There hasn’t been anyone out this far in some time, I mean it’s been nearly two months since we had anyone wander in like that.”

Mark kept looking to the distant wood line, something looked out of place… “Marge, I suppose after all this time, folks are going to start wandering a bit further looking for resources to stay alive, to find someplace safe. We are so fortunate to have had the vision and ability to move out here and set this place up, to live here and make ourselves nearly self-sustaining.”

Mark took another long sip of his coffee, it was starting to cool and he didn’t want to waste it. “I think I have seen those men before, last summer in town. I think they do have children, I think they had rented one of the cabins on Easley ridge for a week, their two families together. If they lived in the city when all this started, they may have made their way out here thinking they could live off the land or something. If they are getting desperate, they will be dangerous and I think they will be back.”

Marge stepped back from the rail and took a long, hard look at her husband. She knew he was thinking about a fight, but there was a way around this, a path they could follow that might benefit them all.

“Mark, I need to you to think this through. If they have children, we cannot turn a blind eye to them. The only future this world has left is the children.”

Marge paused, looked at her feet and then back to her husband’s eyes, “What if we took them in? Yes, it means more mouths to feed, but we barley scratch the homesteads full potential. It also means more hands to work and more hands to help defend us. If they have come out this far, odds are many more may follow and just the two of us will make some groups easy pickings. I need you to think this through, we need to do what is best and we need to look at this long term. Nothing is ever going back to the way it was, at least not in our lifetimes. What good is all of this if we can’t make it mean something?”

Mark just looked at his wife. He tossed his remaining coffee over the deck railing and turned back to look at the wood line. What was she thinking? How can we know they are good people? How can we take the chance to risk everything?

There, near that 100 year old oak, something moved on the ground. “Marge, casually go back in the house. Someone is watching us from across the field.”

Thomas looked down from his scope, “They made us…I told you to keep your rifle down, you don’t have a scope cover and I guarantee he saw it. Now stay still and don’t move.” Nathan didn’t move, didn’t make a sound. He knew he had made a mistake, and mistakes out here get you killed quickly…he silently prayed that this one did not.
The Following 81 Users Say Thank You to Long_Hunter For This Useful Post:
angerhater, avalanche5, azrancher, badgerland, Bagman1957, bigal1, Biker, bill may, bjoyce09, Blueline, brettcar, cavsgt, Crim Tim, dandanthearmyman, darth, David Bevis, davis08, dch, divinginn, Dragon Tamer, dumptruckerr, eritico, faif2d, finallyhere, flat possum, Freebirde, FreshPotatoes, Gipsy Smith, grandma, gunnerpwd, Hilltopper, Huggy Bear Uno, Hunter Don, inMichigan, ipchay61, jamison01, jkdetonator, jwh123, kaijafon, Kay, Ken M, kevinlee, kittyluvr1, LDSDad, LibertysSon, lyn, mdlbldrmatt135, minitruck83, Missy, mmamom, mooman1956, mortdooley, MSTA57, MT308shooter, ncwebnut, Notchman, nuflyr, old disturbed guy, orangenomad, Pezz, Pitbulld45, remembergoliad, RickVA, robertb, roncar, rubeixcube, RunAndGun, scruffy, smitty60, Srchdawg, Supermag, TENNGRIZZ, texican2, tired-medic, Todd-J, topdoc, tpals, w3kmp, Wikdcard344, ydderf, yoopermac
Old 04-22-2016, 01:51 PM

Marge looked at her husband, “Is it them?”

Mark turned around and faced her, “I don’t know, now get back inside, but move normally. I don’t want them to know we saw them.”

Marge turned and stepped through the door and back into the kitchen. She moved to the sink and closed the blind over the small window there.

Mark came back in as she finished closing the blind and went straight to the master bedroom. He reached onto the dresser and slid his holster onto his belt, pulled out the Colt 1911, checked to make sure there was a round in the chamber, and slid it home in the holster. He opened the safe and pulled out his old CAR 15, inserted a magazine and put a round in the chamber.

Mark looked hard at the short barreled rifle, smuggled back to the states after his second tour in Vietnam. Other than his wife, it was the only thing in this world he trusted, and he reverently hoped it would do for him now what it had once done for him a long time ago in the A Shau valley.

Grabbing a bandolier of loaded magazines, he moved back to the kitchen. “Marge, go get your sidearm and put it on and get your rifle from the safe.”

Marge looked at him, knowing this was bad, and her face spoke volumes to him.

Mark held her gaze for a moment, “Marge, just do it. We are not just going to lay down and die.” They had rehearsed this before, but Marge was still not ready for it, she was too old…he was too old.

She looked at Mark, nodded her head and moved down the hallway. Marked picked up the binos from the kitchen counter and went to the hall bathroom where a small window also faced the rear of the property.

He scanned the wood line from right to left, coming to the old oak in the far left corner. Yes, someone was laying there, maybe even two someones, he just couldn’t tell for sure. A small glint of light…they had a scoped rifle.

“Mark!” Marge yelled from the bedroom, “There’s a man standing out front in the yard!”

The front, he hadn’t even thought to go there and look, hadn’t even considered there might be more than just the two he had seen. Mark nearly fell getting out of the bathroom and colliding with Marge coming from out of the bedroom.

“Marge, take these and get in the bathroom. There is one or more men laying on the ground by the old oak in the corner. Keep watching them and yell if they move.” Mark thrust the binos into her hand and reached up to cup her face in his hands. He looked at her, all these years together and she was just as beautiful as the first time he saw her. He kissed her, “I love you Marge.” “Oh God Mark, I love you too…be careful.”

Mark began moving back down the hall when Marge said, “The man out front is not one of them that was here the other day.” Mark didn’t stop, but his heart beat faster. There is more than two, but how many?
2medicine woman, angerhater, avalanche5, azrancher, badgerland, Bagman1957, bigal1, Biker, bill may, bjoyce09, brettcar, cavsgt, Crim Tim, dandanthearmyman, darth, David Bevis, davis08, divinginn, Dragon Tamer, eritico, faif2d, finallyhere, flat possum, Freebirde, FreshPotatoes, Gipsy Smith, grandma, gunnerpwd, Hilltopper, Huggy Bear Uno, Hunter Don, inMichigan, ipchay61, jamison01, jkdetonator, junkhound, jwh123, kaijafon, Kay, Ken M, kennr, kevinlee, kittyluvr1, LDSDad, LibertysSon, lyn, mdlbldrmatt135, minitruck83, Missy, mmamom, mooman1956, mortdooley, MSTA57, MT308shooter, ncwebnut, Notchman, nuflyr, old disturbed guy, orangenomad, Pezz, Pitbulld45, remembergoliad, RickVA, robertb, rubeixcube, RunAndGun, scruffy, smitty60, Srchdawg, Supermag, TENNGRIZZ, texican2, tired-medic, Todd-J, topdoc, tpals, usmc0341, w3kmp, Wikdcard344, ydderf, yoopermac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2016, 01:53 PM

“Hello in the house!”

Mark jumped when the man yelled. Looking through the partially drawn curtains, he could see this was definitely not one of the men he had spoken with before; they had been wearing some type of field pants and military-style boots, with holstered semi-autos, this guy was in jeans and a leather jacket. A large revolver was in a holster strung across the front of his chest and a pistol grip shotgun rested over his shoulder.

Mark did not want to yell back, but if there was any chance at all to diffuse what was rapidly becoming a life and death situation, he would have to take it, for Marge’s sake if for no other reason.

Mark cracked the door open, “Want do you want?” The man in the yard started to step forward, “That’s close enough!” Mark yelled.

“Hold on there!” the man yelled back, “I just want to do some trading, that’s all.”

The smile on the man’s face gave Mark the creeps, it wasn’t natural.

“We have much to trade, something so desirable you must have it.” The man took another step forward, keeping the creepy smile in place.

From back in the house Marge yelled that three more men had run from the wood line to the back of the main barn.

“We have nothing to trade.” Mark yelled back, “You should leave here.”

The man stopped and the smile faded slowly. He looked to the far right and as his head moved back to the left Mark could see him taking everything in. “Oh, I think you do, you have much to offer.” The smile slowly came back, almost like it was being etched into place.

Mark thought for a moment, “What is it you want from us!”

The man in the yard stretched his head back and looked at the sky, and then back to Mark, “Everything! Everything you have and I will trade you your own life for it!” He began to laugh and Mark shut the door when he saw the shotgun start to slide from his shoulder.
The Following 79 Users Say Thank You to Long_Hunter For This Useful Post:
2medicine woman, angerhater, avalanche5, azrancher, badgerland, Bagman1957, bigal1, Biker, bill may, bjoyce09, brettcar, cavsgt, Crim Tim, dandanthearmyman, darth, David Bevis, davis08, dch, divinginn, Dragon Tamer, dumptruckerr, eritico, finallyhere, flat possum, Freebirde, FreshPotatoes, Gipsy Smith, grandma, gunnerpwd, Huggy Bear Uno, Hunter Don, inMichigan, ipchay61, jamison01, jkdetonator, junkhound, jwh123, kaijafon, Kay, Ken M, kennr, kevinlee, kittyluvr1, LDSDad, LibertysSon, lyn, mdlbldrmatt135, minitruck83, Missy, mmamom, mortdooley, MSTA57, MT308shooter, ncwebnut, Notchman, nuflyr, old disturbed guy, orangenomad, Pezz, Pitbulld45, remembergoliad, RickVA, robertb, rubeixcube, RunAndGun, scruffy, smitty60, Srchdawg, Supermag, TENNGRIZZ, texican2, tired-medic, Todd-J, topdoc, tpals, w3kmp, Wikdcard344, ydderf, yoopermac
Old 04-22-2016, 01:56 PM

The Raid (Part 2)

Derek rolled over onto his side and slid the stock of the HK snug into his shoulder pocket. Rolling back over, he centered his sight picture on the big man out front, already deciding this was the leader.

Derek was thankful Jeremy remembered the headsets for their radios, “Jeremy, let me know when you are set and I’ll get the party started, but we don’t have much time.”

Jeremy acknowledged, “Roger, these three look like they are getting ready to move from the barn, probably towards the house. The other two in the trees have not moved…and Derek, I am not sure they are part of the same group. If we had not watched them crawl into place early this morning I don’t think we would even know they were there. The three stooges here came in breaking brush like a heard of elephants. I don’t like this, maybe we should back off and see what happens.”

Derek couldn’t believe what he was hearing, “Wait a second, you were the one who wanted to talk to them, work out a trade and negotiate. If they get themselves killed by the wannabe road warriors out there this will get a lot harder.”

Jeremy took a deep breath, he knew Derek was right. At least they had the suppressors on the HKs and the element of surprise, but he was fairly sure the two prone figures by the old tree were just watching, especially him. “Ok, let’s do this.”

Jeremy sighted on the furthest away of the three men at the barn, “On three. One, two, three.”

Derek and Jeremy both squeezed their triggers, Jeremy a few more times than Derek.

“Front man is down hard, you good?” Derek asked as he scanned the front of the homestead.

“Yeah, the big bad wolf done got the three little pigs.” Jeremy replied, not moving from his position. He always felt that he should feel something after killing, but he never did…no remorse, no emptiness, not satisfaction, nothing. He had always believed that bad things will happen to bad people, and quite often he was that bad thing…and with that thought there was the faintest hint of satisfaction. He was sure they had done something good here, at least by their standards.
2medicine woman, angerhater, avalanche5, azrancher, badgerland, Bagman1957, bigal1, Biker, bill may, bjoyce09, brettcar, cavsgt, Crim Tim, dandanthearmyman, darth, David Bevis, davis08, dch, divinginn, Dragon Tamer, dumptruckerr, eritico, faif2d, finallyhere, flat possum, Freebirde, FreshPotatoes, Gipsy Smith, grandma, gunnerpwd, Huggy Bear Uno, Hunter Don, inMichigan, ipchay61, jamison01, junkhound, jwh123, kaijafon, Kay, Ken M, kennr, kevinlee, kittyluvr1, LDSDad, LibertysSon, lyn, Marlin 45 carbine, minitruck83, Missy, mmamom, mortdooley, MSTA57, MT308shooter, ncwebnut, Notchman, nuflyr, old disturbed guy, orangenomad, Pabstman, Pezz, Pitbulld45, remembergoliad, RickVA, robertb, rubeixcube, RunAndGun, scruffy, smitty60, Srchdawg, Supermag, TENNGRIZZ, texican2, tired-medic, Todd-J, topdoc, tpals, usmc0341, w3kmp, Wikdcard344, ydderf, yoopermac
Old 04-22-2016, 01:58 PM

Slamming the front door closed, Mark dropped the iron safety bar across the door to keep it from being kicked in and then moved quickly to the corner of the main window.

Peering out, he was shocked. The biker-like man out front was on the ground and Mark could clearly see the blood pool forming around him. Dead? What was going on?

Then Marge yelled from the hall, “Mark! The three men at the barn, I think someone just shot them. They are on the ground and, wait a second,” using the binos Marge looked again “They’ve been shot! I think they are dead, they aren’t moving at all!”

From his viewpoint, Mark could not see much. He hadn’t heard any shots and there were no arrows in the body out front. What then? “Marge, what about the two at the tree?”

Marge scanned back out to the wood line, “They are still there, they haven’t moved.”

Mark rolled against the wall. What was going on? Who killed those men and why? How many damn people were out there? Wait a minute…suppressors, someone out there was using suppressed weapons. Not good. I am way too old to be dealing with this, Mark thought to himself.
The Following 82 Users Say Thank You to Long_Hunter For This Useful Post:
2medicine woman, angerhater, avalanche5, azrancher, badgerland, Bagman1957, bigal1, Biker, bill may, bjoyce09, Blueline, brettcar, cavsgt, Crim Tim, dandanthearmyman, darth, David Bevis, davis08, dch, divinginn, Dragon Tamer, dumptruckerr, eritico, faif2d, finallyhere, flat possum, Freebirde, FreshPotatoes, Gipsy Smith, grandma, gunnerpwd, Hilltopper, Huggy Bear Uno, Hunter Don, inMichigan, ipchay61, jamison01, jkdetonator, junkhound, jwh123, kaijafon, Kay, Ken M, kennr, kevinlee, kittyluvr1, LDSDad, LibertysSon, lyn, Marlin 45 carbine, minitruck83, Missy, mmamom, mortdooley, MSTA57, MT308shooter, ncwebnut, Notchman, nuflyr, old disturbed guy, orangenomad, Pezz, Pitbulld45, remembergoliad, RickVA, robertb, rubeixcube, RunAndGun, scruffy, smitty60, Srchdawg, Supermag, TENNGRIZZ, texican2, Todd-J, topdoc, tpals, w3kmp, Wikdcard344, woodsjoe, ydderf, yoopermac
Old 04-22-2016, 01:59 PM

“Jeremy, stay where you are and I will swing around to the north and come to you. It will be dark in about ninety minutes, so we don’t have much time. We are going to need to move on the team at the tree.” Derek had slowly reversed himself from the hide he had been in all day, slipping down into the stream bed to follow it north.

Jeremy turned back to watch the two at the tree…but they were gone. ****. He had been looking at the house for only a moment. “Derek, the team at the tree is gone. I don’t see them anywhere. Did you bring the thermal?”

Derek kept moving along the stream bank, a little farther and he would climb up out of it. “Yeah, I got it in my pack. Getting darker quicker than I thought and it looks like a storm is moving in. We need to decide how to approach the house. I should be on you in about ten mikes.”
The Following 89 Users Say Thank You to Long_Hunter For This Useful Post:
2medicine woman, angerhater, artjs, avalanche5, azrancher, badgerland, Bagman1957, bigal1, Biker, bill may, cavsgt, Crim Tim, dandanthearmyman, darth, David Bevis, davis08, dch, divinginn, Dragon Tamer, dumptruckerr, dwb.usa, eritico, faif2d, finallyhere, flat possum, Freebirde, FreshPotatoes, Gipsy Smith, grandma, gunnerpwd, Hilltopper, Huggy Bear Uno, Hunter Don, inMichigan, jamison01, jkdetonator, junkhound, jwh123, kaijafon, Kay, Ken M, kennr, kevinlee, kittyluvr1, LDSDad, LibertysSon, lyn, Manager, Marlin 45 carbine, mdlbldrmatt135, minitruck83, Missy, mmamom, mortdooley, mourning after, MSTA57, MT308shooter, ncwebnut, Notchman, nuflyr, old disturbed guy, orangenomad, Pezz, Pitbulld45, remembergoliad, retief, RickVA, robertb, rubeixcube, RunAndGun, scruffy, shadetree 1944, smitty60, Srchdawg, Supermag, TENNGRIZZ, texican2, tired-medic, Todd-J, topdoc, tpals, tribull, usmc0341, w3kmp, Wikdcard344, workhorse, wv_farmgirl, ydderf, yoopermac
Old 04-22-2016, 04:41 PM

Great start, thank you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2016, 04:50 PM

Great start. The could be bad guys turn heroes.
Hope you continue (soon).

Thanks
junkhound
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to junkhound For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2016, 04:56 PM

Awesome start, keep it coming.
The Following User Says Thank You to choyboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2016, 06:22 PM

More Please
The Following User Says Thank You to Poppa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2016, 11:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,271 Times in 698 Posts

Great start, this could get real interesting if all goes well!
The Following User Says Thank You to Supermag For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 12:25 PM

Great start, from an old 1st Bat Ranger.

BillyS
The Following User Says Thank You to BillyS For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 04:42 PM

great ! keep it up please

MA
The Following User Says Thank You to mourning after For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2016, 12:51 PM

really good start
The Following User Says Thank You to mrkk1562 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2016, 01:58 PM
Prepared

Great start! Please go on.
The Following User Says Thank You to RunAndGun For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2016, 09:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,383 Times in 1,318 Posts

Awesome so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rifleman69 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2016, 01:18 PM

I appreciate the comments and support. LH

Derek took a knee next to Jeremy, but focused on the house, “So no idea where the other two went?”

Jeremy snorted and looked to his left towards the big oak where he had last seen the rifle team, “No, none, but I only had eyes off for less than a minute. They must have picked up and moved straight back, looks like the ground dips down back in there.”

Derek twisted his head to look, but details were fading with the approaching clouds and darkness, “You don’t think they were with these cowboys?”

“No, I don’t. They were wearing those cheap, leafy ghillie suits, like you buy in a store for hunting, but they were definitely not trained in their proper use or how to hide…they were better than we have gotten used to seeing out here, but not grads of any target interdiction course, that’s for sure. More like guys with some experience hunting animals, but not men.” Jeremy looked down at the ground and then back up towards the house, “They had what looked like hunting rifles. I know they were watching me as well, maybe how I introduced myself to the three little pigs put some fear in them and they bugged out. Regardless, the boonies are starting to get crowded and I am worried about Terry, Laura and the kids. We have been gone too long.”

Derek nodded, “Agreed. We need to close this deal now. I don’t relish moving back to the cabin in a storm, but I don’t want to be gone another night. So, white flag or what?”

“That would be easiest, but I would sling your rifle reversed across your back, non-threatening like”. Jeremy looked over at Derek, “I know non-threatening isn’t really your thing, but you need to put them at ease. I could see a man and a woman moving around in the kitchen, just off the deck. I think it best for you to slip over to the right a dozen meters and then head in at an angle towards the deck, that way I can keep my shooting lane open to the rear of the house, just in case.”

“Ok, and keep those extra eyes open in the back of your head, you have always had that freaky sixth sense about things that has saved our asses more than once. Even if that two man team was not part of this group we hit, they may still have friends waiting that might come looking for them.”

As Derek picked up and began moving away, Jeremy smiled to himself. This was so dumb. Knowing him and Derek were good out here wasn’t enough. They were too few. He couldn’t see the front of the homestead or the far side blocked by the house and barns. The risk was high, but so was the reward if they could work this out. He tried to focus on Derek’s movements from the corner of his eye, but lost him in the undergrowth, and his own thoughts wandering to his wife and kids.

Mark was looking out the kitchen window when he saw the man emerge from the wood line near the old chicken coops. He had a white rag tied to the end of a stick and a rifle slung across his back, a suppressor clearly visible on the end of the barrel. He was wearing one those newer tactical chest rigs and a pistol was strapped to his right thigh. Jesus, Mark thought, what do we do now?

It was one of the two men from the other day, and the suppressor, well, they must be the ones that took down the others as that was the only thing that made sense. Mark looked over at Marge. He was separated from the battlefield by almost 50 years, and he knew inside he was no match for what was coming across his backyard, but where is skills may have faded, his courage had not.

“Guess this is it. I am going out to talk to him, it’s definitely one of them from the other day that asked for help. The two that were at the old oak are gone and I have no idea how many people are really out there, but I do know what they all want.”

The faintest hint of a smile touched Marge’s face as she reached out for Marks hand, “You should know I am not scared. Everything happens for a reason and I have faith this is something good. Those men may well have killed us if that one out there had not intervened, and why kill them if he planned on killing us anyway? Just doesn’t make sense to me. I love you, I trust you, I have faith in you…and yes, I will cover you best I can from the bathroom window just like you taught me.”

Mark pulled her close and hugged her, not letting go till he heard the voice from outside.

“Hello in the house!” Derek yelled when he was about ten yards from the deck, and at the same time realizing that was the exact phrase the biker guy had used. That wasn’t real bright, but what else do you say? He wanted so badly to move his hand down to the Glock, but kept it up. Had to appear non-threatening, right. He thought there has got to be a better way of doing this, but the gunfight had complicated things, and here I am.

The rumble of thunder rolled across the hills as Mark walked out onto the deck and down into the yard. He kept walking until he was only a few feet from Derek.

Watching the old man walk out of the house, an AR slung across his back and a Govt .45 plainly visible on a belt holster, Derek nearly let his hand fall to the Glock, but he checked himself and held his place.

“Hello again.” Derek said.

“Your one of the fellows from the other day. I think I remember asking you not to come back.” Mark said, and immediately regretted the last part.

Derek cringed a little, but pushed on. “My name is Derek, and yes, I am sorry, I do remember you asking us not to come back. Honestly, I am glad that we did. I think our help was right on time.”

“So you are the one that shot those men?” Mark said as his eyes rolled over to the suppressor.

“Yes…my friend Jeremy and I took care of them, and we will move the bodies away for you since we made the mess.”

Mark flicked his eyes over to the three bodies by the barn. He didn’t think he would ever refer to that as a mess, but he had known men that would have. Looking back at Derek, “Are you military?”

“Used to be. When everything fell apart and they began locking the bases down we thought they would move our families on –post, but they didn’t and they were not going to let us back off the base. Our unit was being ordered to deploy to somewhere near D.C. The orders coming down the chain of command didn’t make sense anymore. We made a decision, along with a lot of others, and got out while we could.”

“You deserted?” Mark would have never thought, had not given a thought, to what might have happened in the military.

Derek shuffled his footing and looked hard at Mark, “A lot of us did. Being so far out here, you may not be aware how the military fell apart, but we can talk about that later. I am here to ask again for your help. There are eight of us total, our wives and we each have two children, young ones. We need your help. Is there something we could trade for food? Work we could do? Something…we have other skills you saw us use earlier. I am not one to beg, but I cannot let our families suffer.”

Mark looked at Derek, looked through him and thought of what Marge had said earlier about more hands to work and defend, and that all this had to mean something. “I thank you for what you did for us today. I honestly don’t know how it would have turned out, other than it would not have been good.”

Marge had told him she had faith in him, so he took a leap of faith.
“We have a proposition for you. Could you call your friend in and we could discuss it?”

Derek shook his head no, “I can’t do that. We don’t know if these men had any friends further back that may come looking for them and then there were another two men out there by that big tree at the edge of the woods. They left, but we don’t know where they went.”

Marked looked past Derek and searched the woods, looking all along the back field. Another rumble of thunder made them both glance at the sky. It was almost dark and the wind from the approaching storm was starting to blow in.

“Derek, we can use your help here. We have lived out here for years and didn’t even know things had gotten so bad until after the fact. We have no other family to speak of, or none that would speak to us, depending on how you look at it. We have plenty of room here, more than enough for both your families and I believe we can work something out. Why don’t you both come in and we can sit down and discuss all of you staying here…”

Derek cut him off, “We cant. We have been gone longer than we thought we would and need to get back to our place. We are going to skirt the roads going back, and if they are clear we will bring everyone here tomorrow and we can talk this through. I am sorry we had such a bad start before and that our meeting today is so short. If everything goes ok, we can be back tomorrow afternoon. Look for us in two black diesel trucks.”

Mark glanced back at the house and then back to Derek, slowly shaking his head, “Ok then. My wife thinks this is the right thing to do…watch your six out there and I’ll look for you tomorrow.”

Derek nodded and started to turn, but then stopped, “Mark, you were in the military?”

“Yea, a long time ago. Story for another time”. Mark faintly smiled and watched as Derek nodded and turned to move back to the trees. This was going to be interesting, stressful, and require a lot of adjusting. Mark just wasn’t sure it would work, but there was only one way to find out.

Marge met him at the kitchen door, the look of relief on her face evident, “Well, you didn’t shoot each other and I thought I saw him smile at least once, so it must not have been that bad.”

Mark unslung the rifle and leaned it in the corner, then pulled out a chair and sat down, “Marge, I think you were right, and maybe, maybe we can work this out. They will be back tomorrow with their families and then we will figure it out.”

Marge smiled and placed a cup of coffee in front of her husband, “It will work out Mark, and you know I can place these things in perspective better than you. You will need some patience for this to come full circle, but in the end you won’t have any regrets.” She hugged her husband from behind…this was moving forward, a future that she had started thinking might be lost was just found again.
The Following 102 Users Say Thank You to Long_Hunter For This Useful Post:
2medicine woman, angerhater, artjs, avalanche5, azrancher, badgerland, Bagman1957, bigal1, Biker, bill may, bjoyce09, brettcar, carly, cavsgt, cheyennep, Crim Tim, dandanthearmyman, darth, Daryll in NW FLA, David Bevis, davis08, divinginn, DoFunDtuff, Dragon Tamer, Dumb Droid, dumptruckerr, eritico, faif2d, finallyhere, flat possum, flatbed, Freebirde, FreshPotatoes, Gipsy Smith, Gmasue, grandma, gunnerpwd, Hilltopper, Huggy Bear Uno, Hunter Don, inMichigan, ipchay61, jamison01, Jeepdriver, jkdetonator, junkhound, jwh123, kaijafon, Kay, Ken M, kennr, kevinlee, kittyluvr1, LDSDad, LibertysSon, lyn, Marlin 45 carbine, mdlbldrmatt135, minitruck83, Missy, mmamom, monkeypunch, mortdooley, mourning after, MrNobody, MSTA57, MT308shooter, ncwebnut, Notchman, nuflyr, old disturbed guy, orangenomad, Pezz, Pitbulld45, Poppa, Quovardis, real wowwee, remembergoliad, RickVA, robertb, robertk, rubeixcube, RunAndGun, scruffy, seraphima, shadetree 1944, smitty60, speeks, Srchdawg, steamroller, Supermag, tackleberry444, texican2, Todd-J, topdoc, tpals, usmc0341, w3kmp, Wikdcard344, wv_farmgirl, ydderf, yoopermac
Old 04-26-2016, 01:30 PM

thanks for the next chapter!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdlbldrmatt135 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2016, 02:43 PM

The Raid (Part 3)
Derek took another long drink of water and then sat the Nalgene bottle down and looked around the table. His wife Laura, Jeremy and his wife Terry, looked right back, waiting, “So then, I guess that is our decision. For what it’s worth, I think it is the right one. I know they are older, but clearly they know how to run a small farm, grow food, and they have livestock. If they think we can contribute to that, then this is something for the long haul.”

Laura glanced from her husband and over to the floor where the children were playing, “We can’t stay here anymore. Hearing those engines, some of which were clearly motorcycles, is getting to be too common here. I know that was a women I heard scream the first night you were gone and neither Terry nor I slept a wink until you got back this morning.”

Terry nodded in agreement, “It sounds like Mark and his wife have a place that can sustain all of us. We have to be somewhere that does,” Following Laura’s gaze to the children, “if our children are to have any future at all, we need to be someplace like that.”

Jeremy squeezed her hand, “So it’s settled. I think we can fit most everything that we have left in both trucks and the trailer easily, along with the few items we liberated from the other abandon cabins.”

He looked at Derek, “Those half-dozen rifle shots this morning have me concerned. That was not hunting, that was shooting, at someone or something. One of us needs to maintain watch and keep an eye on the kids and let’s get this done as quickly as possible. Feels like a noose is closing in on us here. “

Derek quickly agreed. He and Laura moved to begin loading the storage tubs in the back of the trucks. Nearly everything was organized into the tubs when they left the city, and not knowing how long they would be here it was mostly kept that way, making it easier to leave quickly.

Laura looked over at Derek, “This has got to work Derek. We are nothing more than refugees and we need a home, our children need a home. I worry for them both so much it breaks my heart every day.” She paused and stacked another tub, “We need the time and space for our children to grow up, peacefully as possible, and I think we are taking a big step in making that happen. I know you want to start teaching them your other skills, and I do agree with that to an extent, but this farm may give us the chance to ease off the elementary school and basic training schedule just a little bit, enough to let them just be kids for a while.”

Derek stopped and looked over at his son sitting on the porch steps. Jake was only ten, but a crack shot with his Ruger 10/22, and he could be quiet. His eight year old sister, Karsie, sitting beside him didn’t like to shoot at all; she was all girl and it showed. He was having a hard time teaching her to shoot, teaching her to do anything outside was a challenge. Everything that had happened to them, he was worried how it was affecting her. They always say that kids bounce back, but some of things she had seen in the last few months surely must have scarred her in some way.

Jeremy and Terry’s kids were almost the opposite of his. Their 11 year old daughter Becky was as tomboy as they come, but still liked to be a princess on occasion. Playing baseball, learning to shoot, hunt, riding ATVs, all of that since the age of four or five, she was comfortable outside. Their son Randy had learned the same things, played the same sports, and was good at all of it, but only seemed to do it when he had no other choice. He would easily get lost in video games and when that happened you couldn’t get him outside at all. Slowly he was starting to adapt to a world without video games, but that has not been without its challenges.

Laura reached over and pulled on Derek’s arm, “Where did you go hero?”

“Just thinking about the kids, and don’t call me that.” He looked at Laura, and pulled her hand down to his, “There are no more heroes.”

“Not in those kids world, their daddy will always be there hero, and mine. You keep the wolves away and keep us safe. I love you…this is going to work out, I have a really good feeling about it.” She dropped his hand and moved back to pick up another tub.
The Following 97 Users Say Thank You to Long_Hunter For This Useful Post:
2medicine woman, angerhater, artjs, avalanche5, azrancher, badgerland, Bagman1957, bigal1, Biker, bill may, bjoyce09, BM59_Fan, brettcar, Catshooter, cavsgt, cheyennep, Crim Tim, dandanthearmyman, darlenea, darth, David Bevis, davis08, divinginn, Dragon Tamer, dumptruckerr, eritico, faif2d, finallyhere, flat possum, flatlander11b, Freebirde, FreshPotatoes, Gipsy Smith, Gmasue, grandma, gunnerpwd, Guntoteninfadel, Hilltopper, Huggy Bear Uno, Hunter Don, inMichigan, ipchay61, jamison01, Jeepdriver, jkdetonator, jkmw, junkhound, jwh123, kaijafon, Kay, Ken M, kennr, kevinlee, kittyluvr1, LDSDad, LibertysSon, lyn, mdlbldrmatt135, MichiganCowpoke, minitruck83, Missy, mmamom, mortdooley, MrNobody, MSTA57, MT308shooter, Notchman, nuflyr, nymntnfolk, old disturbed guy, orangenomad, Pezz, Poppa, Quovardis, real wowwee, remembergoliad, RickVA, robertb, robertk, RunAndGun, scruffy, seraphima, shadetree 1944, smitty60, Srchdawg, Supermag, tackleberry444, texican2, Todd-J, topdoc, tpals, usmc0341, w3kmp, Wikdcard344, workhorse, ydderf, yoopermac