Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is hands down the coolest place you have ever visited? IronLegion General Discussion 206 05-19-2019 10:45 PM
How many Countries have you visited. AncientBrit General Discussion 62 05-10-2018 12:32 AM
Have not visited in a long while Kountry Texas 5 10-21-2014 01:03 PM
The SHTF has already visited ... Pantagruel Controversial News and Alternative Politics 1 10-07-2012 02:02 PM
Visited by the troopers MaKettle Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 07-22-2011 08:32 AM
To everyone who ever visited these boards! Gunner65 General Discussion 14 01-02-2011 07:27 AM
Visited the pool supplier today... Hemp Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 04-28-2010 03:19 PM
Have you ever visited theobamaforum.com??? TacomaJPP General Discussion 17 10-04-2009 11:36 PM
visited academy Cryptkeeper Firearms General Discussion 5 02-08-2009 06:22 PM

Old 10-23-2016, 08:24 PM
Last Frontiersman

Thanked 4,103 Times in 1,204 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
If you really don't know why, it's probably because you acted like such an ******* by telling people to leave. As if you were born with a God-given right to a piece of dirt that others don't have.

Just saying.

As far as the post getting hijacked? Seriously, how long can we talk about how awesome Alaska is? And anyway it has it's downsides. Mosquitoes, for one example.

One of the biggest reasons I love Alaska is the remoteness. I don't want other people around, and I make no bones about that fact. Don't like it, oh well.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2016, 09:17 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

Alaska is a special place. You made the most of your visit.
For many people their first visit is a cruise which is nothing more than a floating apartment house. Every time people on a cruise get near Alaska, it is time to get back on the ship.

I have had good trips on the Alaska Ferry System twice. Another great trip was hiking the Chilkoot Trail. I really enjoyed renting a truck and camper in Los Anchorage and driving north into the Interior.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:45 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,347 Times in 620 Posts
Smile Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronLegion View Post
Most beautiful state I have ever seen in my life and that is coming from someone who has been in Colorado, seen the Smoky Mountains in the fall and just plain traveled some. Alaska is one of the few places that actually caused me to catch my breath at how beautiful it was. Sometimes it shocked you into silence. God took some extra time with Alaska.

We rented a place in Anchorage, which ended up being WAY cheaper than those hotels with their ungodly prices. Made that our home-base so to speak. Did a grocery run, rented a vehicle and had the time of our lives.

We did:
- the Alaska railway to Seward
- The glacier cruise out of Seward
- The Whittier Tunnel
- Portage Glacer
- Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center
- Turnagain Arm (I could spend days there....so beautiful)
- Hatcher Pass from Wasilla to Willow (My camera was almost full of pictures by this point)
- Eklutna Lake
- Drove to Fairbanks
- Drove the Old Denali Hwy from Cantwell to Paxson (Jaw droppingly beautiful - almost at the 1000 picture point lol)
- Saw the Northern Lights
- Went to the Arctic Circle north of Fairbanks (one of my favorite parts of the trip)
- Went to Denali Natl Park......stupid clouds hid the big guy. Still an awesome place though.
- the Anchorage Market Festival
- Visited the Alaska Mint

...........other stuff too, but you get the idea. I would dare say we saw the essential Alaska. I am so glad we did NOT do a cruise. We would have missed a lot. Food for instance.

Fireweed ice cream, birch syrup and walnut ice cream. Spectacular stuff. I tried the sailorboy pilot bread.....didnt do much for me. lol. I did enjoy the reindeer sausages though. Those arent half bad.

People were so nice up there. Alaska is an extremely friendly place.

One thing I am glad I did my research on was to get the Milepost. That thing was invaluable.

It is official though. I LOVE Alaska. I loved the people, the weather, the politics or lack thereof, the scenery, the clean air........pretty much everything except the prices though.....

If I get rich enough, can I come live with you Alaskans?

Haven't been on a fishing boat there in 40 years or have traveled up the AlCan, but I doubt the raining weather or the no-seums are gone. S.E. is beautiful but in summer can't remember days without rain and when it rains there it will pour for several days.
Going up the ALCAN the bugs were so bad we ate our meals in our tent. Drank lots of canned whole milk, ate canned butter and cheese, lots of salmon, and got canned milk ice cream cones in the Yukon. Spent three summers in Prince William Sound, visited glaciers, watched the Seward Marathon run from our boat. Sunny there but also rain. That is why it is so green there.
In Southeast, visited hot springs, fjords, took ice from icebergs in Glacier Bay, saw killer whales three feet off our boat's bow, caught sharks in net, saw mountain goats and sheep on hillsides, shot a nasty fish-tasting bear cub on the beach, local Indians wouldn't take it, spent time in towns with no roads, only boardwalks, visited ghost towns and saw gold specks in assay office walls, saw turquoise color water at old Kennecott Copper glory hole, crossed Gulf of Alaska in a 44-foot fishing boat, saw 19,000 foot Mt. St. Elias from 50 miles offshore, saw evidence of '64 earthquake where trees were swept off some 300 feet above sea level, got scared panning gold 100 yards from mother brown bear. Fun place to visit--for the young adventurer.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Idaho Survivalist For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2016, 03:24 PM
Ready, willing, and able

Thanked 3,021 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronLegion View Post
Aw.....come on. Are you one of those unfriendly bush people that we were warned about?
We don't take kindly to fair weather visitors. This coming from a former Alaskan.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luke 22:35-38 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 12:33 AM
Semper Vigilans

Thanked 11,951 Times in 3,861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke 22:35-38 View Post
We don't take kindly to fair weather visitors. This coming from a former Alaskan.
You two must be hermits living out in the bush somewhere.

All the times I've lived in or visited Alaska folks were pretty darn nice people.

So long as you don't hang out in places less upscale then the Alaskan Bush company.

Only places I've lived that rivaled the nice folks in Alaska was either Texas or Idaho.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldBlackWater For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 05:06 PM
Ready, willing, and able

Thanked 3,021 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlackWater View Post
Or joking.

Quote:
All the times I've lived in or visited Alaska folks were pretty darn nice people.

So long as you don't hang out in places less upscale then the Alaskan Bush company.

Only places I've lived that rivaled the nice folks in Alaska was either Texas or Idaho.
Yeah, we're pretty nice. What we really have a beef with is those who call themselves Alaskans while only visiting in the summer months. It's one thing if you're old and really can't take it, its another if you're young. I lived through 8 winters in central Alaska.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luke 22:35-38 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 09:45 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,458 Times in 5,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlackWater View Post

I was just about to say the same thing. I spent 6 months in AK in 2000 working on a job. We had some locals on the crew. I found the locals to be nice and friendly, if a little quirky. Some were very quirky, and one guy was maybe downright crazy. But not like some of the asshats posting in this thread who make the rest of them look bad.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 04:52 PM
Hunter

Default Alaska

Alaska is indeed pretty, but Washington State is kind of like a smaller, more heavily populated Alaska. Left there 20 years ago due to population but it has:

fjords like Alaska, although smaller, beautiful islands, in Puget Sound, beautiful volcanoes, Lake Chelan, deserts, two very large rivers, ferries for transportation between islands, precipitation varying from 8 to over one hundred inches, glaciers, many ocean beaches, wildlife--killer whales, octupi, deer, bears, salmon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Idaho Survivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 08:12 PM
Last Frontiersman

They also have the liberal politics that Alaska has, for the most part, avoided.
The Following User Says Thank You to Backwoods Alaskan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2016, 02:04 AM
Semper Vigilans

Thanked 11,951 Times in 3,861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Alaskan View Post
They also have the liberal politics that Alaska has, for the most part, avoided.
Sadly you are correct, the Communist party has taken over the King County area which controls the rest of the state which leans pretty red.

I was born and raised in WA and it used to be every bit as Free a state as Alaska. I figured I would one day die here, and now I am looking to move to Idaho.

......................Or.....Maybe.........Alaska!

just kidding, too far from my kids and grandkids.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:19 PM
Hunter

Default Alaska

Last month I talked to a fellow and his wife who lived in Alaska from the 70's until a few years ago. After I told him when I was in Alaska, he told me that I was able to see Alaska when it was really Alaska. He said that I would hardly recognize Southeast Alaska now, with all of the pleasure boats. There were almost none in the 60's and I never once saw a law enforcement officer there. Places change as people move in.

I grew up in Washington's San Juan Islands from the mid 50's to the mid sixties and then off and on until the early 90's. Living off the land on a 56-square mile island serviced by a two-hour ferry ride or a small plane was something I was fortunate to do as a youth. We collected crabs in crab grass, found rock oysters and steamer clams by the bucketful, caught huge ling cod off the docks, smoked a lot of king salmon and canned humpies. We ate wild ducks, pheasants, deer, and explored a rather sparsely populated island. But, we were eventually discovered so my wife and child had to move.

One big advantage of many counties in Idaho is that online census records show almost no growth or else a loss in population. Having lived here over 20 years, things don't change much, but I suppose they will eventually. I live fewer than ten miles from maybe the largest unpopulated forest area outside of Alaska. And Idaho is pretty conservative. But as people see the many benefits of living in parts of Idaho with its remoteness, they will come. At least I will live out the remainder of my life 2 hours from a Walmart or COSTCO in Washington or 3 hours from them in Montana and a lot farther to ones in Boise or Spokane.

But, if you like living in a rainforest, where the beauty is hard to believe, by all means move to either Southeast or the Kenai Peninsula.
The Following User Says Thank You to Idaho Survivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 05:44 PM

Glad you came! Next time join us for some of our winter fun!
The Following User Says Thank You to Alaska_Grown For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Alaskan View Post
This is mainly due to Seattle. Like many states, if you removed the liberal cities then most of the residents of that state turn out to be pretty conservative. Its too bad that one whole state is ruined by the people who rarely stray from their cities and see what life is really about.

Hopefully we can keep the larger cities in Alaska from ruining our state in the future.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:07 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,088 Times in 625 Posts

I've been blessed to have worked a multiyear project in Alaska that has taken me from Shyema to Wainwright to Barter island to Fort Yukon to Northway, Cordova Ketechikan and almost everywhere in between, I've seen Russia twice (once from the top of a mountain in north west AK, and once landing in Gambel (or maybe it was Savoonga.) Spent way too much time in snowcats, flew in everything from a DC-3 to a Robinson R44. Got to drive the haul road up to deadhorse. I've seen polar bear and brown bear up close and been eye to eye with a black bear (he on the deck outside a friends house in Eagle River, me on the other side of the glass door.) Decided a .457 WWG (Hot .45-70) was not enough gun. Came close to shooting a nuisance bear once, decided to let him go, only to have him killed the week after I left when he attacked a UTV for food. Got to see the ceremonial and real start of the iditirod, and was in McGrath when a few teams came through (all on different years.) Got to help flight a small wildfire in Palmer and then latter that day barely make it across the Thompson pass into Valdez due to snow.

Spent two weeks in Bethel- not recommended, except as an education.

And there is so much I haven't done...
Old 04-09-2017, 12:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,400 Times in 3,842 Posts

A few years ago, I got offered a job at the Red Dog Mine. Still kicking myself for turning it down.

At the time it paid less than I was making in Iraq. I would have had to get a place in Anchorage as the mine flew employees from there on their rotating schedules. Didn't really want to move to Alaska as I'd made Missouri my home.

Hindsight being 20/20 and stuck working in Africa for about the same pay - I'd rather work in Alaska - could fly home to Missouri just as often or more often than I do now.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:22 AM
Last Frontiersman

Red Dog is a **** show. Be thankful you missed out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Backwoods Alaskan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 03:10 AM

Yes when we had VIM team (volunteer's in mission) come up to do a addition to our community food depot, they spoke of their experience at church on Sunday and the most common expression was other places are beautiful but God really outdid Himself when He created Alaska.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:18 AM

I am looking to move (job relocation) to either Kotlik or Pilot Station can anyone give me insight on these areas?
Old 05-20-2017, 04:04 PM
Survivor, so far

Thanked 238,271 Times in 29,159 Posts

Not specific to those 2, but some things to think about:

1. Is housing and food furnished by employer ?
2. Is the pay worth it for the isolation and the work ?
3. Do they allow you to bring a firearm ?

I have worked remote and those three were important to me.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,800 Times in 1,106 Posts

I sit back and laugh at the transplant issues you guys think you have and the narcissistic rants about it. With that said I when I was there I learned quite a bit about it and the work ethic people have to survive and thrive economically. I'd love to live there but I'd have to secure a job and learn to be able to not rely on the road or transportation systems.