Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Molle II Pack on Alice Frame Raven Reviews and questions 5 07-19-2014 02:11 PM
Large pack for hunting? External vs Internal frame. moab90245 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 19 12-31-2013 10:35 PM
Pack Fitting and Internal Vs External Frame Rapidfire1269 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 31 12-21-2013 07:35 PM
Wtb alice pack large w frame Lowliferat Looking for - want to buy 8 07-02-2013 02:56 AM
ALICE pack frame Shelf? boomerweps Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 02-04-2013 09:51 PM
Alice Pack Frame Repair silversam1 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 09-30-2012 05:23 PM
ALICE frame pack that fits behind hips within frame? J.McDonald Knives Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 08-23-2011 04:13 AM
Alice pack frame mod for D.E. 1603 frame smh41 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 20 07-06-2011 08:51 PM
Molle Pack on Alice Frame cmitchca Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 12-26-2010 09:21 PM
I need an Alice pack frame 91g-dub Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 02-24-2008 08:04 PM

Old 09-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Good To Go

Default Cabelas Frame

Advertise Here

I used the Alaskan Guide Frame.
They sell about 3 variations, any of which will work.
Take a look at the pictures in this thread and you can see how the frame has
been shortened. I also remove the folding platform at the bottom of the frame.

Prices range from 99 to 129 new which is too high.
I bought 2 frames from their bargain room in Buda TX for 40 ea.

I can get Alice frames for 12 and medium packs for 25 but can not find
molle pads locally. I think the Hellcat rig offers the cheapest way to a
decent Alice rig.

My next rig will be a Molle frame with med Alice and Mss Carrier in desert
tan if I can find them.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Hunter

I see a lot of posts liking the idea but has anyone put together an Enforcer Hellcat pack? I'm wanting to upgrade the suspension of my ALICE, found Enforcer's design and am curious to hear any other reviews of how it is working for them!

I was looking at the Alipad but saving money to get the same result with more storage is attractive.

Also, do any of the Molle parts come in Olive Drab or only a camo pattern? All I am able to find is camo.

Thanks!

Last edited by zuren; 10-13-2009 at 04:08 PM..
Old 10-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,989 Times in 1,877 Posts

Has anyone here ever done a comparison between Alice Packs and Regular Backpacking backpacks? I've found most Alice packs to be extremely heavy. How far do you plan to go and how much weight do you plan to carry? Not to sound like a broken record but I've never ever seen a Alice pack or any other military backpack on the trail while backpacking. Did see one poor scout at philmont lugging one around. Other than that nope never. Believe me if they were the best ones to use you'd see them everywhere. Though sadly external backpacks are getting harder to find. Please understand I'm not putting your pack down, It will get the job done. But it seems to me by the time you add up all you spent to modify it to your likeing, you could of gotten a Jansport carson external of a kelty external pack. Don't mean to highjack out post just trying to understand why you went with the Alice over other external backpacking backpacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Good To Go

Comparisons are sometimes like seperating fly sh!t from pepper.

I think much of the reasoning for improving an Alice rig is because the
surplus components are cheap to acquire and plentiful can be transformed
into something better

The medium size pack is not heavy, and will carry all that is necessary when
combined with an MSS carrier for your bag.

The efforts of Enforcer and myself were to make a rig which was functional
and durable for minimal cost. I think Enforcer is involved with the Boy Scouts
and has built rigs for the scouts, likely at very low cost.

I know of several soldiers who have put together Alice rigs with Molle frames and
have used them in Iraq/Afghanistan with good success. They wanted
a rig lighter than the Molle.

Put a rig together, try it, and give us some feedback.
The Following User Says Thank You to vondoozit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2009, 10:37 PM

Default More details and pictures on these modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoresteen View Post
I've been under an ALICE pack since 1977. Took both a large & medium ALICE to Iraq last year. Left the MOLLE pack stuff home.

Both my ALICE packs have been modified extensively. I know them very well.

You can have an ALICE large or medium modified to mount nicely on a MOLLE II frame. Willie at General Jackson’s will add the mounting straps for $12.50. I had mine done a few weeks ago while I was at Ft Bragg.

Willie has been sewing on my ALICE packs since 1990. He is the best.

General Jackson's, Inc.
6207 Yadkin Rd.
Fayetteville, NC 28303

(910) 868-1806

http://www.genjax.com/index.htm

Willie works Tue to Sat. He arrives at 11:00 AM, takes lunch 1:00 -2:00 PM.

If you want a better frame for an ALICE get a MOLLE II frame and have the ALICE pack modified to fit it properly.
I would really appreciate additional detail and picture of these modifications to use the MOLLE II Frame with an ALICE pack.

In the past, I have used Tactical Tailor to modify my ALICE pack (Fastex buckles, Carry handle); does General Jackson offer similar services?
Old 11-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Hunter

I had been looking to upgrade the suspension on my ALICE system BOB and decided to go with the upgrades Enforcer has laid out here. I am very happy with the result! I liked it so much that I made one each for my 2 hunting buddies. We always exchange a little something at the beginning of the hunting season for birthdays/Christmas/hunting so this was way beyond the usual budget but something I wanted them to have. These guys were tickled! I constructed the system in front of them and I have never seen two 30 year old men hang over someone's shoulder like they were kids waiting for dad to put their new present together. The one guy called me early the next morning (I was still in bed) to thank me again and tell me how cool he thought it was. Here is mine:

We all really like the modular nature of the packs. If something fails or is damaged, a new component can easily be added.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zuren For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Hunter

I will add a quick note about the size adjustment for torso length:

I stand at ~6'2" tall and when I measured the distance from my C7 vertebre to the line of my iliac crest, it was close to 21.5". When I went to the pack to make the adjustment, the max I think I could get was ~20-20.5". So as stated before, this adjustment gets you in the ballpark. I'm a tall, lanky freak so I'm used to things not fitting perfectly but thought I would share the detail. The pack is still comfortable and I look forward getting some miles with it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zuren For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2009, 03:23 PM
force multiplier

zuren,

very nice job; looks just like mine. LOL Thanks for posting your max torso adjustment. I believe I came up with a max of around 20" as well. Thanks again and good luck; I hope it works well for you.

Last edited by Enforcer; 12-02-2009 at 03:42 PM..
Old 12-02-2009, 04:43 PM
I love this forum

what is wrong with the new mole system except the price.... Does any one know where to find a mole (clone) pack that doesnt scream military
Old 12-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 26,548 Times in 10,480 Posts

the frame sucks on molly one thing i noticed alot of people here talking about was popping rivets on there alice frames and having to throw them away one thing i like to do is i drilled the rivets out and replaced them with small stainless steel bolts and threadlocked the nut on the bolts are much stronger than the rivets and wont break and another thing you can do is take part of a foam sleeping pad and tape it to the cross section of the pack frame it adds to the comfort when carrying heavy loads
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FarmerJohn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2009, 10:16 AM
force multiplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
the frame sucks on molly one thing i noticed alot of people here talking about was popping rivets on there alice frames and having to throw them away one thing i like to do is i drilled the rivets out and replaced them with small stainless steel bolts and threadlocked the nut on the bolts are much stronger than the rivets and wont break and another thing you can do is take part of a foam sleeping pad and tape it to the cross section of the pack frame it adds to the comfort when carrying heavy loads
good kit
Old 12-23-2009, 10:24 AM
force multiplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky walker View Post
what is wrong with the new mole system except the price.... Does any one know where to find a mole (clone) pack that doesnt scream military
as far as I know there are none out there. The gen2 and gen3 packs are not that bad. The frames have a tendency to break with abuse. The alice frames have proved to be a little more durable......according to those who have used both in the sand box. Once the the molle frame breaks it is generally is no longer serviceable. The alice is easier to repair in the field(see farmerjohns post).
The Following User Says Thank You to Enforcer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2010, 07:43 AM

thank you so much Enforcer! now i have also a hellcat and i will try the ruck in february/march in the woods of whiteRussian. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bia%C5%...%C5%BCa_Forest). greetings from germany
The Following User Says Thank You to onak For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2010, 09:41 AM
force multiplier

onak,

please post pics of your pack and your trip; I'm glad you were able to put the Hellcat together. I know you will enjoy it.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:21 PM

Enforcer, Can you upload the pics to the tutorial again please? In the middle of assembling two hellcats and need your tutorial!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:21 PM
force multiplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus View Post
Enforcer, Can you upload the pics to the tutorial again please? In the middle of assembling two hellcats and need your tutorial!
sorry about that; I was attempting to reorganize my photobucket files and didn't realize that it would change the url. Fixed it last night; all should be gtg.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:33 AM
In the Arizona dust

Hey I just have a question about the MSS carrier bag. I use the MSS and compression sack but never bought the carrier. Are there any advantages to having it other than it looks cool?
Thanks
Old 02-02-2010, 10:29 PM
force multiplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.P.Q.R. View Post
Hey I just have a question about the MSS carrier bag. I use the MSS and compression sack but never bought the carrier. Are there any advantages to having it other than it looks cool?
Thanks
it adds close to 2 liters of storage to your alice pack. It allows you to pack items such as rain gear; mre's; shelter and sleep gear etc; all with easy access so you don't have to open the main pack.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Hunter

I made an addition to my Hellcat to carry a hydration bladder:

Spec-Ops H.U.M.P
(at ScoutRecon.com)

There are a few colors and camo patterns available. It is a little pricey considering it is just a nylon pouch but I really like having water available to me instantly while moving. It mounts to the ALICE frame in the dead space between the frame and your back.

If anyone does decide to add this as well, be careful where you buy from. Several places online show they carry it but when I placed an order and didn't have it a month later, I called to find out the H.U.M.P. was backordered with no estimate on availability (even though they continued to advertise and take orders for it). I cancelled that order and began calling to make sure it was in stock before ordering. The link above is for reference only; I purchased from another supplier and can't remember who they were.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zuren For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,153 Times in 450 Posts

are the hellcats as good, better, or worse than the camelbacks?