Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choice on new bag JoshSelf Urban Survival 62 02-06-2016 11:11 AM
Good 72-hour bag / B.O. bag ideas JJ1701 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 10-25-2014 05:38 PM
72 hour bag(s) help/opinions atomicsmurf Ladies Section 7 09-20-2014 07:14 AM
Lighter bag vs more complete "72" hour bag for truck IYAPYSNF Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 07-06-2013 02:03 PM
Get Home Bag/ 72 Hour Bag Critique -NEMO- Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 11-22-2012 05:34 PM
Essentials for 24 hour bag R3dbull Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 11 04-05-2012 11:43 PM
72 Hour Bag Eagle Scout Dan Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 61 02-09-2012 09:23 PM
24 hour 'chef's choice' Ham SavageSun 4x4 Food and water 1 10-04-2011 01:58 PM
What kind of 72 hour bag do you prefer? N.Huxley Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 08-15-2011 01:06 PM
How to Make a Choice While Building 72 hour Kits iprepare143 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 07-09-2011 08:54 AM

Old 03-06-2016, 07:14 PM

Default 72 hour bag choice?!

Advertise Here

Hey folks. Want to help me decide what bag to buy? I have an Ospray Atmos 65 ag, which I use for longer mountain hikes. I also have a Vanquest falcon 27, which was intended as a bugout bag, but I find it abit to small. And its only by a margin. I can fit all I want in it, but then then it gets unconfortable to carry. I have found some alternatives though:

1. Maxpedition Falcon 3, it has about 5l more capacity than the Vanquest. The thing I like about this bag is that the main pocket is larger than taht of the Vanquest.

2. 5.11 Rush 24.

3. 5.11 Rush 72

4. Kelty map 3500

Another thing i dont like about the Vanquest, it seems to be built for smaller ppl. Im by no means tall, im 6 feet on the mark, but the belt do not go around my hip, rather higher up, which makes it useless. The bag has to be a good fit.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windir For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 07:19 PM
Have gun will travel

Thanked 1,392 Times in 554 Posts

I picked up this for wifey...
http://www.dragogear.com/products/ba...ackpack-1.html
I/we really like it for the $...59.00 at my friends GS. not too big/small and LOTS of options.
JMO......
The Following User Says Thank You to wilsdude For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,945 Times in 2,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windir View Post
Hey folks. Want to help me decide what bag to buy? I have an Ospray Atmos 65 ag, which I use for longer mountain hikes. I also have a Vanquest falcon 27, which was intended as a bugout bag, but I find it abit to small. And its only by a margin. I can fit all I want in it, but then then it gets unconfortable to carry. I have found some alternatives though:

1. Maxpedition Falcon 3, it has about 5l more capacity than the Vanquest. The thing I like about this bag is that the main pocket is larger than taht of the Vanquest.

2. 5.11 Rush 24.

3. 5.11 Rush 72

4. Kelty map 3500

Another thing i dont like about the Vanquest, it seems to be built for smaller ppl. Im by no means tall, im 6 feet on the mark, but the belt do not go around my him, rather higher up, which makes it useless. The bag has to be a good fit.
The Mini Mojo loadout bag from Voodoo Tactical is my BOB. It comes with shoulder straps in addition to the standard hand straps and duffel bag straps. It's a relatively big bag, but it has a lot of pockets, and it's very durable. I don't believe in small BOBs, mainly because I think that bugging out on foot is not a good idea in most instances, though this bag still leaves you with that ability if you so desired.

http://smile.amazon.com/Voodoo-Tacti...ords=mini+mojo
The Following User Says Thank You to willthrill81 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 07:31 PM
Renaissance Man

Thanked 18,290 Times in 5,343 Posts

One of the problems with smaller bags and daypacks is that the size in volume limits the physical size of the bag and the ability to fit a longer torso. Even the ones that come in different sizes usually just do a Med/Large that basically fits people up to about 5'10".

If you like Osprey, take a look at the Kestrel 32. It is unique among smaller bags in that it comes in a M/L size, and also has an adjustable yoke for different torso lengths. This makes it unique and very versatile for such a small bag. It works great as a day pack, and you can easily use it as a 72h bag and it will still carry the weight correctly as you can adjust it to fit your torso. I go pretty minimal and can easily use this pack for 7-10 days in summer. As such, my loads can sometimes be in the 30+ lb range fully loaded, and it handles it fine.

FWIW.

Edit: Here's a review I did of the Osprey Kestrel 32 a while back if it helps. https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=391789

Az
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to azb For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 07:43 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,500 Times in 2,500 Posts

If you use and like the Atmos 65 AG, why go for another one? If it's too big, i'd suggest looking at the other Osprey models (you already know you like them), and many of the military style packs (maxpedition for example, or karrimorSF, or 5.11) are just overkill for what you intend to do with it. For 72 hours, you won't need a 1000 denier or 500 denier fabric and all the molle imo. Hell, if you use the Atmos for longer hikes, that means you already know that and most packs won't fall apart in a couple of days . The thicker material and molle just adds extra weight. And i doubt you'll spend lots of time having your pack transported in trucks etc. I also find that most of the military style packs carry a lot less well than the ones designed for hiking (Though from personal experience, the Karrimor Sabre 45 is still pretty comfortable for my height/torso, yet most times i'd still prefer to use my Stratos 36, if it was a bit bigger, i'd almost exclusively use it).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 08:01 PM

Hey all, thanks for answers.

The Atmos A65 is a great bag for hiking, it really is. But I do miss some organization options like there is on more tactical bags, like an admin pouch. The Vanquest falconer 27 have excelent organization, but its just to small, both in fit and volume. I fits good when the load is small, even medium, but when its loaded not so much. Mainly because the waist belt sits to high on me.

Another Ospray, or Fjellräven, Bergans, Norronna and so on are all great when it comes to carrying, but they lack the organization part I like. I was hoping for a pack that would combine the two.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 25,029 Times in 6,560 Posts

Take a look at the Condor 3-day tactical pack...carries well and has ridiculous amounts of organization...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelloman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 08:34 PM
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Hey all, thanks for answers.

The Atmos A65 is a great bag for hiking, it really is. But I do miss some organization options like there is on more tactical bags, like an admin pouch. The Vanquest falconer 27 have excelent organization, but its just to small, both in fit and volume. I fits good when the load is small, even medium, but when its loaded not so much. Mainly because the waist belt sits to high on me.

Another Ospray, or Fjellräven, Bergans, Norronna and so on are all great when it comes to carrying, but they lack the organization part I like. I was hoping for a pack that would combine the two.
Use different colored stuff sacks inside the main bag. I also pack in the order that I typically unpack; for example the tarp is first so I can get it set up before anything else in case of rain. Last thing out is first thing in.

You don't need an admin pouch on the pack, just have an admin stuff sack inside.

I generally use a chest pack as well, and most of the commonly used little things during the day can be organized inside of it fairly easily. (TP, headlight, fak, etc) Then the pack really only contains your basic systems; sleep, shelter, cook, food, clothes, toilet kit, etc. All in different colored stuff sacks so you can locate it easily. At any rate, this is the method I've developed over years and years of living/traveling out of a pack and it works well for me. To many zippers and organizational pockets make for a heavier, more complicated pack. Plus the system can be transferred from different packs regardless of pack design. I'm a big fan of KISS.

Just an idea.

Az
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to azb For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azb View Post
Use different colored stuff sacks inside the main bag. I also pack in the order that I typically unpack; for example the tarp is first so I can get it set up before anything else in case of rain. Last thing out is first thing in.

You don't need an admin pouch on the pack, just have an admin stuff sack inside.

I generally use a chest pack as well, and most of the commonly used little things during the day can be organized inside of it fairly easily. (TP, headlight, fak, etc) Then the pack really only contains your basic systems; sleep, shelter, cook, food, clothes, toilet kit, etc. All in different colored stuff sacks so you can locate it easily. At any rate, this is the method I've developed over years and years of living/traveling out of a pack and it works well for me. To many zippers and organizational pockets make for a heavier, more complicated pack. I'm a big fan of KISS.

Just an idea.

Az
Thank you for your anwer. As you, Im used to traditional hiking bags growing up. And no doubt they carry best. I might look into some pouches to go with the Ospray.
The Following User Says Thank You to Windir For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 09:22 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,500 Times in 2,500 Posts

If you like an admin compartment, maybe look at their 24/7 line? Some of those go up to larger sizes too. I have the quasar, which is a pretty good 28L pack, but they have the Nebula too, which is a 34L pack. Laptop/hydration sleeve, another sleeve for a tablet or something else you want protected a bit (like a solar charger), another pad on the quasar for something else and at the front a flap which houses plenty of compartments/pockets.
The Following User Says Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 05:48 PM

What do you guys think about this bag? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZnap8NHJaU

I have no knowledge of SOG gear, and I cant find any good reviews on this bag.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Rafe View Post
If you like an admin compartment, maybe look at their 24/7 line? Some of those go up to larger sizes too. I have the quasar, which is a pretty good 28L pack, but they have the Nebula too, which is a 34L pack. Laptop/hydration sleeve, another sleeve for a tablet or something else you want protected a bit (like a solar charger), another pad on the quasar for something else and at the front a flap which houses plenty of compartments/pockets.
I like the pack, but its just abit to small. Only one liter more than my Vanquest.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Survivor

Quote:
What do you guys think about this bag? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZnap8NHJaU

I have no knowledge of SOG gear, and I cant find any good reviews on this bag.
I really liked it until I saw the price...
The Following User Says Thank You to jelloman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloman View Post
I really liked it until I saw the price...
I know, its jaw - droping pricy in my opinion. And I dont like the skull logo, seems abit childish, at least it is behind the pack.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:05 PM
Survivor

Quote:
I know, its jaw - droping pricy in my opinion. And I dont like the skull logo, seems abit childish, at least it is behind the pack.
This is along the same lines as the SOG and 100.00 cheaper...I have one of their smaller woodcraft packs and can attest to their quality...

Amazon.com : Wisport Raccoon 45L Rucksack Black :... cover
Amazon.com : Wisport Raccoon 45L Rucksack Black :...
Old 03-07-2016, 06:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,286 Times in 591 Posts

I got the 5.11 Rush 72. Good bag that is comfortable and balances well with a load, takes a beating. My only complaints with it are that when the side pockets are full, they take away from the capacity of the main compartment, and that a pack with a full load and a full bladder will cause the back rest of the pack to bow out, and ride funny. --If 5.11 could take care of those issues with the pack it would be the perfect 3 day bag.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tovarich_Volk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 07:42 PM
Renaissance Man

Quote:
I was in custom bikes back before they became reality tv, and I tell ya, I'm so sick of skulls now.

Az
The Following User Says Thank You to azb For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 07:50 PM

I like the old model Camelbak BFM for a pack in that size range. So much I snagged 3, 2 used and one new on closeout online a few years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigEd63 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 08:11 PM

The 5:11 rush 72 hour bag is my suggestion. I have used it for a long time and it holds up great.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savage Voyageur For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azb View Post
I was in custom bikes back before they became reality tv, and I tell ya, I'm so sick of skulls now.

Az
Lol, i bet you are!
The Following User Says Thank You to Windir For This Useful Post: