Cold Weather Gear Needed - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why are my hands/feet cold? Cold weather thoughts from a Canadian. Sharpster Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 59 02-19-2016 08:35 AM
WWII aviators cold weather gear (pants) ? McGuyversurvivor Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 2 02-16-2014 10:00 AM
Testing Cold Weather Gear Ghent Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 12-15-2013 09:31 PM
Field Test of Cold Weather gear "Spoon" Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 10-26-2012 10:28 PM
Cold Weather Gear Shakedown + Evaluation Filthy_McNasty Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 01-19-2012 07:56 PM
Thermos's, often ignored piece of cold weather gear. Schwillis Reviews and questions 25 01-14-2012 07:26 PM
Cold weather Gear brice90 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 54 01-03-2012 09:33 AM
Cold weather gear. Theman Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 20 12-16-2010 04:30 PM
Cold Weather Gear and Tent DesertSon Reviews and questions 3 11-23-2009 05:51 AM
Cold weather head gear kev Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 8 10-06-2008 02:00 AM

Old 11-09-2014, 12:42 PM

Default Cold Weather Gear Needed

Advertise Here

I'd like some tried and true recommendations for a coat, hat, gloves/mittens, and waterproof boots that will keep me warm this winter. Especially gloves and boots because my hands and feet froze last year. I realize I'm in NC where it doesn't get super cold but I'm also planning to visit a friend in Montana in February.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,238 Posts

Ok. I live in Minnesota and will tell you what I use. My normal go-to coat is from L.L. Bean. It is lined and has a hood and is navy. It'll work until it starts getting into the single digits. I don't usually use the hood because it falls down when it is windy, so I wear a matching hat with it.

My single-digit temp and umpteen-degrees below 0 coat is a Cabela's goose-down purple coat. It works on the coldest days of the year in Minnesota. Cabela's has a web site you can order from. I recommend them for the super-cold weather coats. They are not cheap, but they are worth it, even if you only wear them a couple of days per year.

I recently got a dressy winter coat from QVC for wearing to work and dressy events that has Susan Graver as the brand. It looks nice but I haven't tried it out yet. It is black and has lining. I will warn you that if you get a lined dressy coat, be careful because the lining is what goes first on them. Don't break the bank. My first nice wool coat lasted about 4 years. The lining by the end had gaping holes that sewing wouldn't fix. I had to get rid of it.

Boots -- I just invested in a pair of good Timberline waterproof boots for the worst of the winter storms. We are supposed to get a foot of snow overnight so I may have to test them on Monday. In normal conditions, any decent pair of winter boots will work. You'll want to spend $50 or above. With boots, as well as shoes, you get what you pay for. Try and find waterproof boots that you can afford though, just in case.

Do not go for the super fashionable boots. Look for boots that will work well on ice and snow that you won't fall down on it. Timberline is a decent brand. Not cheap, but good quality. Traction is key. Fashion boots and shoes can be carried and changed into when you get to work.

Fleece hats, scarves, and gloves work in normal winter conditions. You may want to trade up for wool hats/scarves and good-quality lined leather gloves when it is super cold.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to emh1701 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2014, 03:54 PM

Thank you so much emh1701! Will check out Cabela's.
The Following User Says Thank You to EarlyBird For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,026 Times in 814 Posts

Yes, do look beyond the fashion boots ...which seems to be 80% of the women's boots. lol I guess I'm lucky in that my feet are wide enough that I typically HAVE to go to the men's section.

Just remembered a time in Gander Mountain. I'm trying on a pair of Lacrosse Ice Kings for ice fishing. A guy and his wife are next to me. They are going ice fishing and he is pointing out appropriate footwear for the event. She on the other hand was dippying around the cutesy furry boots and just pouted at his much more appropriate suggestion. She got what she wanted.....and she got what she asked for on the ice....really cold feet, although she at least look good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CBP For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Bitter Clinger

Thanked 2,021 Times in 764 Posts

I have Merrell boots and Smartwool socks. They are worth every penny. Except for driving, you'll do better in a pair of ski mittens that have fingers on the inside.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RoadWarrette For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,171 Times in 2,654 Posts

I agree on the boots. That's where you want to spend your money. Water proof is key. You can always buy a size bigger and insert thick fleece or fur inserts. Make them or buy them. and thick socks too.

Coats? I am the coat queen. I am currently, just for kicks, wearing a different coat [bought from garage sales or thirft stores] every day for as long as I can't stand it. I pay $5 to $10 for them. My co-workers are getting a kick out of my 'fashion' show. My best and most used winter coat is a full length [think trench] fully lined [sleves too] military coat. It's a Men's 42 I think, and me being a size 5/6, I have plenty of room to layer under it. I also have a full length down filled one, and coupla full length leathers, furs, ect. The colder it is, the longer my coat needs to be.

So, of course I recomend shopping those thrift stores for a coat.
Save your money for new boots, socks, gloves and hats.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ATST For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBird View Post
Thank you so much emh1701! Will check out Cabela's.
Look at their wool blend socks, too. I have several pairs and I love them! I machine wash them in a delicates bag then I let them air dry.
The Following User Says Thank You to funkyducky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 02:46 PM

I love Smart Wool socks too! Not itchy like some wool socks can be and they come in different thicknesses. I got some last year that come up to my knees and I really like them with boots.

Speaking of boots, I need to look for a better solution for mine this year. I help with splitting and stacking wood and my steel toed work boots with wool socks will only allow me to stay outside for maybe an hour in the snow before my toes start complaining. I'm going to look for something with removable insulated liners, I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to HollyThrives For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Raving Loony

Thanked 3,936 Times in 1,501 Posts

Unless you're allergic, definitely go for the wool socks. Wool socks and waterproof boots go a long way. I like Timberland for a daily-wear boot. If you catch a sale, they give excellent wear for the money. They're warm enough to keep you when it's brutally cold, but not to warm to use from fall through spring. And if you keep them oiled, they look nice under a pair of jeans.

For heavy-snow conditions, I have a pair of men's Wolverine Thinsulate workboots that lace almost to my knees. They are too heavy for daily wear (as proof, I offer the fact that I've had them since I was 19-- obviously, they don't see daily or even weekly use).

I'm a fan of snug-fitting wool knit hats with ear flaps, with a polyester stocking hat underneath.

I'm awful-- I haven't met a pair of gloves I didn't hate. I have no recommendations there.

My favorite winter coat is a men's size XL field jacket. I'm a fairly small-boned woman; it fits me like a sail. I have button-in insulated liners in sizes all the way from medium to XL (they were everywhere in thrift stores when I was building a closet of winter gear on a shoestring budget) . Depending on the weather, I layer them under the coat (sometimes with an insulated hooded sweatshirt as the base layer over a t-shirt).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MC Ain't Crazy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2014, 01:54 AM

I have two wool coats I've had forever, they work fantastic but I don't remember where I got them.

I love the wigwam 40 below wool socks. They are really thick but super warm.
http://www.socksaddict.com/1183-Wigw...rew-Socks.aspx

Pretty much anything wool will keep you warm and dry.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:46 PM

I just thought of one more thing worth mentioning. Be careful how you dress. Meaning dress for the purpose in mind. If you will be standing in place for a long time like ice fishing you want to be bundled way up. If you will be moving a lot you don't want to be super bundled. If moving around a lot dress in layers. Keep wool clothing closer to your skin and fleece type things further out. This way, as your body warms you can remove layers but still keep warm and dry. If you have too much thick stuff you will remove an important layer and freeze. If it isn't too cold where you are then this is not too big a deal. If you are in very cold regions it can be life or death quickly. When in doubt always layer so you can remove or add clothing as needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Forestgirl For This Useful Post: