Survivalist Forum banner

New production M1 carbine....

6K views 34 replies 26 participants last post by  mike in pa 
#1 ·
Inland is back! US made to exact WWII specs. A bit spendy, but nice looking product. Hopefully they will sell below the $1,050 MSRP. Very cool for guys who want a reliable M1 carbine for hard use & don't want to mess up their WWII rifle...

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/inland-m1-carbine-is-back/31841/

I'm curious to see how they run. I've heard bad things about Auto-Ordinance's attempt.

#6 ·
I had a auto ordnance m1 at one time, but sold it because ammo was so hard to find and also pricey too...it was fun to shoot and the girls liked it,because of the low recoil...I agree 1000 bucks is crazy....I would think more along the lines of 500-600 tops is reasonable...
I mail order mine. I don’t think .35 - .38 cents a round is too expensive. About on par with 5.56….
http://www.laxammo.com/ammunition/30-carbine-ammo/armscor-30-carbine-110-gr.-fmj-50rds/64-669
http://www.surplusammo.com/30-carbine-110-grain-fmj-armscor-usa-50-rounds/
http://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/...cision-30-Carbine-110-gr-FMJ-1000-rdcase.html

Here’s the site I use to find the best deals on ammo…

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/30carbine/

As far as the rifle price, I'd say $800 would be fair.

#11 ·
I like the M1 carbine, first shot them in high school in JROTC in the late 70s. I have always owned one or two since. Currently I have a saginaw that was arsenal updated with a unmatching barrel and a bayonet lug,fair looker, good shooter paid $299 in 1989 but it came with all accessories and stock mag pouch.also have a first run IMI I bought new for $449,in 1998.the first run used GI receiver,barrel and fcg in a new stock with the steel venalated hand guard. Good shooter I would buy a new one if it is reasonably priced, $ 1000 is not resonable

#22 ·
It does seem kinda expensive, but as long as it's quality parts and quality work, not out of line with today's economy. I'd spring for one if I could. I'll be watching for reviews to see how nice the production run is... and we are talking bran new, not plastic, your grand kids will inherit it.

#24 ·
Man I love M1 Carbines and always have. My Grandfather had one for years and even when I was a little dude I could shoot it. I've wanted one for years, but the only thing that's stopped me is the ammo. In fact if Citadel would have followed through with a real production run of their M1 carbines in 9mm I would have picked one up.

#27 ·
...and if you drop it, a little part of you doesn't die inside for letting something like a 1944 Postal Service hit the dirt...

I'd love one. Then again, of they DO end up selling for $1,000, i'll have no problem just upgrading to a James River Armory Rock-Ola copy for an extra $100.

#32 ·
Hmm, made by Kahr. (AO) so it's probably a decent shooter. Not $5000-10,000 worth IMHO. I never understood the whole made-for-the collector market. I suspect the ones they made for the Marine Corp are worth more.

If the new Inland become readily available in the $800 to 900 range I would probably be interested. One of my sons sold a very nice Inland last year to a fellow who had the serial numbers of the ones that his father had assembled during WWII. (His father had kept an notebook that recorded each one and when he built it. Pretty cool.) The one we had was all matching and was among those that his dad had made. He was like a kid at Christmas when he picked it up. (He was my age.):D:

#30 ·
But anyways the new ones are what I would get because
the old ones I see as nothing more then collector pieces now.
Most of them have bad barrels that need to be replaced
because people shot the crap out of them.

Why pay 1,000 for an old Inland or Saginaw when you can get
a new one that will shoot better?

Same reason you would buy a PTR-91 for 900 instead of a
used H&K91 / G3.

#31 ·
I have several thoughts on this. Not that my opinion counts for much.

New shooters LOVE the M-1 Carbine. Reasonably accurate, low recoil and just plain fun.

Reloading is a way to get reasonably priced ammunition. If you can find components. I'm a bottom feeder and in the past year or so, have acquired several thousand pieces of brass and jacketed bullets for less than 10 cents each. Cast bullets are another way to go. Missouri Bullets sells cast bullets with optimum hardness. Or, xxx forbid, one could cast their own. Even buying lead for $1 a pound would yield 60 or so bullets. Scrounging primers and powder, I am reloading 30 Carbine for, are you ready, about 6 cents a shot. And this isn't a few hundred kind of deal. In the last 6 months, I've accumulated suitable components for far less than retail.
To wit:
10 pounds of powder. Average cost, under $15 a pound. ( less than 3 cents each round )
~20,000 primers. Average cost, under $12 a thousand. ( less than 2 cents each round )
1200 pounds of lead. Average cost, under 60 cents a pound. ( less than 1 cent a round)
Brass lasts a minimum of 10 full powered reloads each. ( ~ 1 cent each reload)
So, assuming I can't find more powder, I'm able to load in excess of 5,000 rounds. I'll wager heavy money I will find more powder. In fact, the last batch of powder I bought, most not suitable for .30 Carbine, was bought at auction for $11 a pound. Even were I to shoot jacketed only, my costs, due to bargain prices, would still be about 15 cents a round.

Finally, OP, you opened up the box, we hope you will keep us updated. Ideally with an extended range report. Please?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.