How about a Disposable CACHE? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disposable Canteens Fred Nietzsche DIY - Do It Yourself 6 10-26-2014 03:55 PM
Minimal Disposable Income Trose7279 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 29 01-18-2014 05:50 PM
Magazines=Disposable gotsmores Military Weapons Forum 46 03-29-2013 10:10 AM
1 lb Disposable Propane Bottles tobkis Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 01-02-2013 09:14 AM
The BEST disposable lighter panoz77 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 71 09-18-2012 12:15 AM
Disposable Battery Storage? cchardwick Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 10-16-2011 05:59 AM
Disposable Recoil Pads klickitat Firearms General Discussion 4 10-08-2011 12:57 PM
To Cache or not to Cache that is the question John Rambo Manmade and Natural Disasters 6 01-18-2011 12:06 PM
To cache or not to cache that is the question John Rambo Firearms General Discussion 2 01-13-2011 04:48 PM
To Cache or not to Cache that is the question John Rambo Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 01-13-2011 08:12 AM

Old 11-08-2008, 12:58 AM

Default How about a Disposable CACHE?

Advertise Here

Ok, here's an article I wrote a few years ago and posted on another blog site. Hope it is of some use, enjoy !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we all know, a CACHE is a place to stash some goodies that we want to come back and retrieve at a later time when we may need them. Even though the Army may have ruined my grammar (Is it pronounced "CASH" or "CASH-AY"?) at least I know what the word means, no matter how you pronounce it.

What do we put in our cache? Equipment, food, first aid, ammo, etcÖ.Right?

Well, hereís an idea about putting to use those extra items that take up all that valuable space in the garage or basement. If you are like me (Rubie, you know who you are) you have 2 or possibly 3 of everything in new or near new condition. You also have a few "spares" around.

But, what about those worn items that may still have just a little bit of life left, but you just canít bear to toss them out (because you know as soon as itís on the garbage truck youíll need it)? Simple solution, put them in your "DISPOSABLE CACHE" ! Meaning, why not set up a little mini Bug Out Emergency Re-supply?

Hereís the idea, find a location along your bug out route, preferably on public land (woods are best), and set up a SMALL cache of items that could save your kiester if you were to become separated from your BOB, BOV, or your team. And the nice thing about it, it is practically free, if you use extra stuff you have lying around, and it sure beats throwing it all out. Worst case, you never use it and you didnít loose hardly anything.

Hereís the suggested content:

Old work boots, DATREX bars (yeah, I know how repulsive they are, but calories are calories), matches/Bic lighter, old transistor radio, batteries, first aid, extra ammo (cheap Wolf is fine), space blankets, plastic sheeting, old socks, baby wipes/TP, coffee, bullion, tuna, sugar, MRE/Dinty Mooreís, road flares, that old .38 you got at a flea market, tampons/sanitary napkins (will plug up a bullet wound donít ya know), compass, maps, portable aqua tablets, etc, etc, etc.

All this stuff should fit in a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Throw in some dissicant and get a NEW lid and a tube of 100% silicone caulk form the home center. Remove the rubber gasket from the lid, put a bead of silicone in the groove and replace the gasket. Then, put down another bead of silicone on top of the gasket and snap the lid on ( a big rubber mallet works great to seat the lid).

Research your bug out route, take a day or two and hike it with your BOB to see how it goes. Take notes and find several locations (mark your map) and pick one that suits you best. Memorize the location (landmarks, roads, etc).Return to the chosen site at night with your e-tool, and a partner to watch your six while you are digging, and burry it 6 inches below the surface. And thatís about it.

You put in a little effort, and you might have spent about $20 bucks, but the insurance of having a back up, even if it is not all that elegant, is well worth it. Those old boots will be worth way more than their weight in gold if TSHTF . Heck, those Datrex bars might even taste good right about now!

Cheers,

Murph
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2008, 02:56 AM
I love this forum

Like I posted before.........I am in my bug in place but have two cache up in the hills... just in case.

In those places I have winter equipment because what I use in winter I might be able to use them is summer but not the reverse.

Food for three months and all the "tools" to defend myself with.......in other words, those two cache are in case I have to "run like hell Ponce" out of my home......don't have to worry about back pack or weapons.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush

Thanked 13,869 Times in 5,878 Posts

Great suggestion, Murph. But when I started reading your post, I thought you were going to make a different suggestion - which you have inspired but now I will make.

Along with all the normal survival items you mentioned, think about extra tools or other unpowered household and garage items. I have so many duplicated tools that if I ever get around to having a garage sale, my first instinct would be to sell a lot of the stuff and clean house. How handy would a few tools be that you can't get to at home? I sure wouldn't be buying a bunch of stuff to leave in public places but rather than selling them for 5 cents on the dollar at a garage sale or throwing them out, you may as well deposit a few around. You don't have much to lose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,645 Times in 2,189 Posts

I thought most caches were meant to be disposable. In case you couldn't get to them or someone else found them. Then you didn't lose your only weapon/gear/food cache you had. There are some folks bragging about all the caches they have in different towns/states, so I know they haven't used the best of their stuff in all of them. Or else they must be like John Rourke or rich.
The Following User Says Thank You to bltjr1951 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Mountain Critter

Thanked 21,880 Times in 783 Posts

Hey Murph, seems like I saw that article a number of years ago when you first wrote it, though right now I can't remember exactly where. If I remember correctly, it inspired a rather useful discussion/comparison of what everyone thought would be best to fill the bucket with.

Let's get a similar discussion going, here! Everybody get out an empty 5 gallon bucket, experiment with what actually fits in it, then report back.

I found it a good idea to spraypaint the bucket olive drab or several camo shades before putting it out there, as well. I know you're burying it, but the earth tone bucket is a lot stealthier to handle before you put it in the ground than is a white one! Unless it's winter, of course...

Great post!
Old 11-08-2008, 07:50 PM
I love this forum

Hills? what I took up the hill was two PVC pickles barrels from Greece that has a rubber seal all the way around the cover.

It took me about 12 trips to fill each one of them with my needs, I dug a hole into a hill and placed my barrel inside (two each) and then droped part of the hill (dirt) on top of them.

PS: If you guys are driving a long way from home to your bug out place I would then suggest that you burry some gas along the way to where you are going.