Del Ton sport or Smith&Wesson M&P sport - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smith and Wesson, M&P 15 Sport Rhino1600 Rifle Forum 8 05-05-2015 10:33 PM
Smith & Wesson M&P 15 sport, any reason not to? Hawt Sauc3 Military Weapons Forum 48 04-23-2015 09:39 AM
Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport from $529.99 shipped wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 04-21-2015 12:51 AM
Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport AR-15 5.56mm - $529 shipped apps47inc For Sale 1 10-18-2014 11:16 PM
Smith & Wesson m&p sport dasmoose440 Rifle Forum 24 10-15-2014 12:40 AM
Smith Wesson S&W M&P 15 Sport Rifle AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 12-19-2013 04:30 PM
Smith and Wesson MP15 Sport CoopFrog Firearms General Discussion 18 12-19-2012 02:10 PM
Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport xCONTRAKTx Military Weapons Forum 1 12-17-2012 10:55 PM
Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport or Rock River Operator IdahoMtnBoy Military Weapons Forum 15 06-21-2012 12:45 PM
Smith & Wesson M&P Sport 30rd .223 AR15 - $599.99 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 06-19-2012 04:01 PM

Old 08-11-2012, 05:11 PM

Default Del Ton sport or Smith&Wesson M&P sport

Advertise Here

Hello im ready to buy my first AR 15 which one of the two would you choose and why?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reagan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Garbage Collector

Thanked 35,945 Times in 8,893 Posts

Both are good entry level rifles, as far as choice I would go with which ever one has the better price.

Realize that it is not top end gear but it will function fine for the casual shooter.

"I came into the world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood, I have no issues leaving the same way"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 09:33 PM
it is what it is

Thanked 4,077 Times in 1,712 Posts

price is what i based my 1rst AR on.saves a lot of head ache trying to figure out pros and cons of a million different pieces to the AR puzzle.another thing that could sway you choice is the logo,which is more appealing?looks like S&W comes with front and rear sights,idk about del tons.that saves around 100$ from having to buy some iron sights to.
The Following User Says Thank You to 9mmParabellum For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Target Shooter

Check out the DPMS A-15 lite I'm finding it about 100 bucks cheaper then both and every review I read is A+ on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to PreparingPatriot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Garbage Collector

Thanked 35,945 Times in 8,893 Posts

I haven't fired a newer DPMS, but the one I owned the chamber was out of spec and kept having cases get stuck/FTE's.

DPMS used to stand for Doesn't Pass Military Standards among serious shooters.

I have heard they have stepped up their game in the last few years though, might be worth a shot for a cheap range toy.

"I came into the world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood, I have no issues leaving the same way"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Armorer

I run a gun shop where we also rent out handguns and long guns. Every DTI we ever put on rent always breaks within a month in some way. We have a M&P Sport that's been on the rental wall since they first came out and she works just fine. Do yourself a favor a get a well made rifle with one of the best warranties in the business.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr2ndAmendment For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 11:05 PM
You ARE what you IS!

Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagan View Post
Hello im ready to buy my first AR 15 which one of the two would you choose and why?

Either/or...IMO. Take a good look at the Ruger SR556 as that is a great rifle too. Bottom line, make sure that the one you choose is full MIL SPEC.
The Following User Says Thank You to American ME! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 11:07 PM
You ARE what you IS!

Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2ndAmendment View Post
I run a gun shop where we also rent out handguns and long guns. Every DTI we ever put on rent always breaks within a month in some way. We have a M&P Sport that's been on the rental wall since they first came out and she works just fine. Do yourself a favor a get a well made rifle with one of the best warranties in the business.

That is the bottom line key issue there. www.sogarmory.com fits that bill quite well IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to American ME! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2012, 01:20 AM

If I had to choose one of the 2 it would be the Smith. I have no experience with them but I have a friend who has a DTI. He had a problem with light primer strikes right out of the box. Id recommend saving a few bucks and getting something from(in no particular order) Bravo Company, Lewis Machine and Tool, Spikes Tactical, Colt or even take a look at Palmetto State Armory. Just my opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam13 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 01:55 AM
OPSEC

Quote:
This +1

Personally I would spend a little extra for a Colt 6920. If I had to save the $$, I would look at Spike's or Palmetto State Armory.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,373 Times in 840 Posts

The 5R rifling in the Smith is super accurate with whichever grain bullet you'll shoot. Independent tests showed it outshot what most consider top tier; the 6920 Colt in a head to head test.

Pretty good for what the uneducated consider an entry level weapon. Now consider warranty
Old 08-14-2012, 04:31 AM

It depends on your budget... The less u spend now the more u will sped later getting to better specs... You can pick up a colt 6920 at Walmart for 1097.... Try to stay away from cheaper ar weapon systems.. There cheap for a reason...
Old 08-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Hired Gun

I have owned both a DTI (Del-Ton Inc) rifle and a S&W M&P15. In a side by side comparison the only category that DTI would win was price, and I am not so sure that is true anymore. The DTI was reliable and reasonably accurate but the fit and finish were just fair and the tolerances were a little sloppy. I had to do quite a bit of fluff-n-buff to get it smooth. I traded it off after only a year. My M&P15 (not the sport model) is still part of my collection and has proven itself to be a very good AR-15. Plus S&W has an excellent warranty and very good customer service.

As far as DPMS goes, a neighboring police department purchased a dozen or so AR-15's from them about 10 years ago and had nothing but problems, parts breakages and reliability issues. It took 2-3 trips back to factory for several of the guns just to be reliable. They were traded in on Bushmasters shortly thereafter. I have no personal experience with DPMS, but that was enough to keep me away from them.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:45 PM
... --- ...

Thanked 45,866 Times in 10,739 Posts

When I'm choosing between two products, from guns to guitars to bikes, a rule of thumb I've always found helpful is to go with the best re-sale value.
I'm pretty sure in this case that would be the S&W, as they have wide name-brand recognition and a very good customer service reputation.
The Following User Says Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,058 Times in 621 Posts

I looked around and built mine through Palmetto State Armory. If you do not want to build then go with the Smith and Wesson, I received a lot of advice from shop owners and range officers that Del Ton is pretty cheaply made. Good Luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhotonSD For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2012, 10:19 PM

Wish I could provide more accurate detailed info, but m4carbine.net did have a MAJOR AR comparison thread which talked about each item you want to have on an AR & reviewed each brand & if each thing was included. It has now since been converted to a chart & the chart contains no info for S&W. It says you have to ask manufacturer.

The S&W is def up there with colt in regards to quality. I personally own one of the S&W M&P15's. I would pick that over the DTI anyday. Look around for a deal. Deals can be had on S&W M&P15s.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:44 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 5,168 Times in 2,606 Posts

The M&P Sport has upped the ante for what's possible with a sub $700 AR. Everybody else will have to do some catchup.

Smith may have to open another plant or something.

- OS
Old 08-17-2012, 02:44 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,373 Times in 840 Posts

Just saw a test done on an impingement and a piston. The piston temperature at the breach stayed about the same as before the mag dump and the impingement temperature went up a whole whopping 28 degrees after a mag dump.

The TV fella them proceeded to act like it was a screaming big improvement while i was LMAO!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:06 PM

I'm not sure why I am making this post except as a general thank you to you all. Long story short, just purchased the M&P 15 Sport two days ago. When I called my local shop to ask if they had it, the girl just said no and I moved on. The next shop I called -- one of my favorite shops but a little further away -- had one and so I bought it. Today I stopped by the local shop (the one I called first) and when I talked to one of the managers, he confirmed they didn't have the M&P 15 Sport but they had the DTI which had the extra milspec parts and was $40 less and so on and so forth. He basically sold me on it, but since I have virtually no money, I was left with a sense of buyer's remorse -- one of my least favorite things. I was bummed for hours until I came across this thread. Now I am so glad that the girl answered and not the manager, or I might have bought something I actually would have regretted. Not to say that the DTI is a BAD gun, just that I personally am now confident that the M&P was the one for me.

Anyways, wish I could add something more significant to the thread, but a big THANK YOU is all I've got. I registered just so I could make this post. Now I'm looking forward to digging into the rest of the forum.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,038 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
M&Ps are solid and the only difference with the Sport is that it doesn't have the battery assist and the dust cover. Other than that, it is the same quality as the more expensive M&P line. IMO a company's warranty and how they honor it means everything . I have always had great CS with S&W when my BG.380 had an issue.