Body armor,rigs - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Enter to win 2 Sets of AR500 Armor Level III Body Armor (See Details Below) GearHog GearHog 1 07-27-2016 05:46 PM
To buy body armor or not? dogsoldierace Military Weapons Forum 48 04-13-2016 04:10 PM
Get your body armor before they ban it. Rett General Discussion 53 01-26-2015 02:01 PM
Safeguard Armor Stealth Body Armor AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-20-2014 07:00 PM
Body armor Aussiegoldsmith General Discussion 9 11-17-2012 09:44 PM
Enter to win an AR500 Armor Urban Go Plate Carrier with Body Armor, Holster, & Mag Po GearHog GearHog 0 09-29-2012 02:00 AM
What's with body armor? The Heathen Reviews and questions 28 09-03-2012 10:04 PM
Single, double SAPI plate vs Interceptor body armor? Which armor should I use SHTF? FloridaState Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 01-27-2012 01:39 PM
New body armor? Wrathchild General Discussion 2 01-27-2012 05:40 AM
Body Armor Amra910 General Discussion 1 07-27-2009 03:36 PM

Old 04-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Hunter

Default Body armor,rigs

Advertise Here

This is a question for everyone no matter what type of rifle you use.
I thought it might help some of us who do not own or know anything about body armor.
I know there are threads out there but well,we could use a new one with fresh ideas and newer people to input on.
Also might be nice to see your rigs and setups that you plan to use to protect your family with.
Helps to give others some new ideas and whatnot,all former and current military please post with your experience on what works best for you.
Guess basiclly a combat load out gear list.
All pictures are welcome.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 10:04 AM
With all due respect....

Thanked 5,060 Times in 1,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd11 View Post
This is a question for everyone no matter what type of rifle you use.
I thought it might help some of us who do not own or know anything about body armor.
I know there are threads out there but well,we could use a new one with fresh ideas and newer people to input on.
Also might be nice to see your rigs and setups that you plan to use to protect your family with.
Helps to give others some new ideas and whatnot,all former and current military please post with your experience on what works best for you.
Guess basiclly a combat load out gear list.
All pictures are welcome.
If defending the house I would use my "Commando" Blackhawk chest rig for my AK, and an ACU IBA (the one the army uses) along with a pistol belt with holster, mag drop pouch, and other small items.

If bugging out, I would ditch the armor vest and just use the Blackhawk chest rig. An armor vest is just way too heavy to be lugging around (and don't say "oh well our boys over seas do it all the time", yea I know I was one of them). It will make heat stroke and exhaustion FAR more prevalent. You will be able to carry more stuff like water or ammo, and you will be able to move more quickly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tap Water For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Hiker

Midwayusa sell us palm body armor for civilians. front pannel only or as a package front and back. WIll stop a 44 mag full power load.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/300...-cordura-nylon

I was lucky to know a cop and he gave me 3 used vests. never been shot just used. i shot it with a 12guage and it didnt go threw. I was standing at 20 feet. 6 of the 9 balls went into the vest but was stoped.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:00 PM

Tap Water - unfortunately, the IBA is no longer deployment issue, the IOTV is. I miss the IBA, it was easier to don and better for MOLLE gear.

I wish that I had my IOTV here so I could post a picture, but it's in my locker at company.

There are basically three ways of putting gear on the IOTV - FLC (field load carrier), TAPs (tactical assault panel) and weaving MOLLE gear directly onto the IOTV. I prefer the latter option - if my gear is already on the armor, I just have to pull on the armor (which is a PITA with the IOTV) and I'm good to go. The downside is that the stupidly placed stomach flap prevents me from keeping my mags in my best location, so they're a few spaces to the left instead. I have two three mag pouches (one on top of the other, with the front one slightly lower so it doesn't block the back one) with a double/single mag pouch on top. My IFAK is back left and my eyepro is back right. Knife, if I'm putting one on, is left shoulder, hilt-down. A utility pouch on the side is useful too. If I could have MOLLE over my whole body I probably would. I do not use the kevlar neck armor with the IOTV, as it gets in my way and is very irritating - it also gets in the way of the kevlar nape pad which IMO is a better lifesafer. The groin armor can be a pain but is there for good reason: not just the nads, but the femoral too. Camelbak is essential IMO.

The TAP is a great idea in concept, but I hate it in practice. It has a double mag pouch, then six singles in a line, then another double. I want all my ammo on my left side - it means that I can just roll slightly to the right in the prone to access all my mags. Right-mounted mags just don't work for me.

I love a FLC if I don't have armor on, but just don't like it over armor. I don't really know if I have a logical reason for that or not!

Outside of the army, the most extreme I would go with regards to body armor would be a plate carrier. IOTVs and IBAs are heavy and restrict movement. IMO they work OK with the type of tactics the Infantry uses, but I would prefer something lighter. If I'm moving faster I'm harder to hit, I don't want to test my body armor. The Infantry, on the other hand, sometimes has to move slowly, we can't always be sprinting from A to B. If you're going to buy body armor, fit it to purpose - the army buys for the army, not for civilians.

Pete
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to breathoflife For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 06:49 PM
With all due respect....

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathoflife View Post
Tap Water - unfortunately, the IBA is no longer deployment issue, the IOTV is. I miss the IBA, it was easier to don and better for MOLLE gear.
Yea you're right, I was issued an IBA for FTX's state side, and then once we deployed we got the IOTV, and then when we got back we traded them back in for IBA's for more training (hooah)
The one is the photo though is one I got from a Mil Surplus store, but same kind I had in the Army.

Personally I preferred the IOTV, I thought it breathed a heck of a lot better and was more maneuverable I think, but everybody had their preferences, also the neck guard wasn't as annoying as the IBA's is.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tap Water View Post
Yea you're right, I was issued an IBA for FTX's state side, and then once we deployed we got the IOTV, and then when we got back we traded them back in for IBA's for more training (hooah)
The one is the photo though is one I got from a Mil Surplus store, but same kind I had in the Army.

Personally I preferred the IOTV, I thought it breathed a heck of a lot better and was more maneuverable I think, but everybody had their preferences, also the neck guard wasn't as annoying as the IBA's is.
my issued IBA was to long so when Id sit it would stab me in the throat
The Following User Says Thank You to squeeky25 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,826 Posts

www.bulletproofme.com

pistol single panel as mentioned above $200
http://sgcusa.com/us-palm/armor/us-p...handgun-1.html

Ak single panel $200
http://sgcusa.com/us-palm/armor/us-p...er-ak47-1.html

More options available at
http://sgcusa.com/us-palm/armor.html
The Following User Says Thank You to greenhorn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Wow, I hadn't heard of taking away an iotv after deployment. Go army huh? I got issued an IOTV at CIF because my unit was getting ready to deploy and then got it exchanged for a new one with the taps and arm armor (or waste of money, whichever you prefer to call the acu staff duty bands!). The IOTV does definitely have a few advantages - I think that it does have a bit more room around the arms to move. I also like the elastic belly strap, seems to stop it bouncing around a bit and take some of the weight off the shoulders. As a matter of curiosity, are the plates legal for civilian use or do you have to have it with just the kevlar - or are there downgraded plates that are available for civilian use?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:29 PM
With all due respect....

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathoflife View Post
As a matter of curiosity, are the plates legal for civilian use or do you have to have it with just the kevlar - or are there downgraded plates that are available for civilian use?
Plates and Kevlar are legal as long as you're not a felon.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Garbage Collector

Thanked 35,942 Times in 8,893 Posts

Quote:

Depends on where you live also.

"I came into the world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood, I have no issues leaving the same way"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Prepared in NH

Thanked 5,258 Times in 3,317 Posts

One Simple Statement:

Body Armor: Its legal for most people in most US regions = Work it into your SHTF home defense plans.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks brother, I thought that the newer SAPI/ESAPI plates were controlled!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Learning

Thanked 6,557 Times in 3,081 Posts

I have the older IBA complete with all the upgrades (DAPS, the underarm kevlar, and side protectors) except the lower back kevlar. All I can find that in is multi-cam and it is expensive.

It is very heavy! But if I knew I was going out to defend my family and I had a little time to prepare, I'd want it on.

I assembled it over time and it didn't cost me that much.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,048 Times in 446 Posts

3 systems that I've acquired over the years

Crye Cage = the sex
Skd P.I.G = nice compact and low pro
LBT 6094 sentinel releasable = 2nd only to the Crye but über comfy And low profile with plenty of Molle
Old 04-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,155 Posts

Ok well I don't feel right about posting pictures of my body armor or weapons as your thread implies. So I will provide links to what I "might" have.

I "might" have this vest:
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/vests-...-enhanced-vest and will accept front and side plates.

I also might have this admin pouch for reference/note taking material/small tools and or maps: http://www.tacticaltailor.com/pouche...pouch-enhanced

Along with these mag pouches: http://www.hsgi.us/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-DDT&cat=34

All attached to the vest, oh ya there is a radio pouch in there as well.

As for the rifle, all I will say is that the mags fit into the taco pouches. LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to paramilusmc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramilusmc View Post
Ok well I don't feel right about posting pictures of my body armor or weapons as your thread implies. So I will provide links to what I "might" have.

I "might" have this vest:
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/vests-...-enhanced-vest and will accept front and side plates.

I also might have this admin pouch for reference/note taking material/small tools and or maps: http://www.tacticaltailor.com/pouche...pouch-enhanced

Along with these mag pouches: http://www.hsgi.us/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-DDT&cat=34

All attached to the vest, oh ya there is a radio pouch in there as well.

As for the rifle, all I will say is that the mags fit into the taco pouches. LOL
Thats cool,very nice set up by the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3rd11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Hunter

At the moment I think do to my own personal age I have a very simple basic set.
One I have front and back panel set thats a level III though I do think I need to go ahead and upgrade to IV.Its a very basic set that I got to fit under clothes etc and it has no molle or anything,so over top of that I would go with my gear of choice.

Why does it seem plates gain weight over time?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Dirty or clean.Wet or dry

Thanked 1,908 Times in 869 Posts

I second the hsgi double deckers

Mine are attached to the first version of DB fast attack.

http://dbtarmor.com/products/carriers/plate-carriers/

I may or may not have soft armor backers and level 3 multihit dyneema plates that weigh 3.2 pounds each.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Garbage Collector

Thanked 35,942 Times in 8,893 Posts

I "might" still be running this setup-

Modeled on the gear from my last deployment, but in OD green to match current environment possibly.

The pack might be a Large Alice
The rifle could be an LMT Defender 2000
The plate carrier could be an Eagle Ciras with pouches from various manufacturers.

If I had any gear like this the configuration might change based on what my needs at the moment were.

Just sayin'.................

"I came into the world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood, I have no issues leaving the same way"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Prepared in NH

Thanked 5,258 Times in 3,317 Posts

I actually also..... "might" have "thought" about running several variations of PC's (why have only 1 kit/rig?)

1.) Low-Profile Concealable PC set-up (kit) - No PALS

2.) Low-Profile + Light Weight PC with PALS - to be used with a Firstline/battle-belt set-up (kit/rig)

3.) Fully Loaded PC with PALS & various pouches (FAK, Com Pouch, Rifle mag & pistol mag pouches, Hydro, multitool, etc, etc (kit/rig)