Where do you store a cache? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SHTF Prep: Dollar store and Thrift Store Festes Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 08-24-2015 10:52 AM
TX: Gun store says backlash from bank could shut down store cnpiso Political News and Discussion 17 06-24-2014 11:42 AM
Store what you eat & eat what you store, psychologically speaking. David Lee Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 01-29-2012 08:19 PM
HEALTH Question - How do I eat what I store and store what I eat? Just Jeff Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 12-29-2011 10:09 PM
Want to store butter.....Make GHEE to store instead.....easy and stores longte rncmomx2 Food and water 14 07-15-2011 07:30 PM
Survival Store/Food Storage Store ar-hunter Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 04-09-2011 11:04 AM
To Cache or not to Cache that is the question John Rambo Manmade and Natural Disasters 6 01-18-2011 12:06 PM
To cache or not to cache that is the question John Rambo Firearms General Discussion 2 01-13-2011 04:48 PM
To Cache or not to Cache that is the question John Rambo Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 01-13-2011 08:12 AM
Cache ratpatrol01 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 08-27-2009 08:23 PM

Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 AM
VIP Member

Default Where do you store a cache?

Advertise Here

I live in the North East US where it's well over an hour's drive to get out of suburbia. I've read that in order to be well prepared for anything you ought to have caches along the way to your BOL, and possibly elsewhere, in case the SHTF after the S already HTF. While that's nice in theory, I can't figure out how to actually make it happen without burying stuff in friends' back yards... which to me makes absolutely no sense for security.

I'm certainly not asking anyone to share their cache locations, but can anyone give me ideas for places to store stuff along the way to safety?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to storii For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,048 Times in 446 Posts

friends houses, relatives houses, vacation property, or even storage lockers (provided you get to the lockers before thieves if shtf)
The Following User Says Thank You to diluted For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,730 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Caching in the traditional sense is not always possible in all locations. I'm surrounded by desert, which not only makes for a lot of good caching areas, but easy to dig ones at that.

But with some thinking outside the box, you can probably come up with workable solutions. Diluted gave some great suggestions. And if you get really familiar with the area, you may discover some of your own. Years back I had a friend who was becoming mentally ill. He used to take off and spend a week or two on the streets. In doing so, he discovered places to cache stuff in the city, right under people's noses! I never did learn his hiding spots, but he found plenty of them. He could disappear and live out of his caches for weeks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Outdoorsman and Hunter

Thanked 1,525 Times in 610 Posts

I have read a couple of books by the survivalist Ragnar Benson about caching and he said at one point in his life when he lived in a condo in Chicago of all places that he cached some rifles in a flower bed outside his condo! He said another guy he knew who traveled to D.C. all the time (a place known for their tolerant gun laws) he stayed at a certain hotel all the time. He actually cached a pistol and some ammo inside an interior flower bed in the lobby.

The point is if something is cached well and hidden really well (and deep) you can come up with some creative places to hide stuff. The key in my mind would be to make sure no ONE cache has anything too critical to lose in case it is ever found. Have redundancies or items if found by someone wouldn't be a devastating loss. For example, I am not sure I would ever cash a tube full of gold coins in a place that wasn't totally secure on the off chance someone might stumble across it and relieve me of 50K in gold in one fell swoop.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Prepared

I have some stuff cashed away out in country area's that I can get to on way to getting home. I have a PVC tube with a Marlin mod 60 with 200 rnds fixed blade knife, and a few other things hidden in the woods not far from the road that i drive everyday. I can keep an eye on it and make sure the area is not being devloped. I know the land owner and i have helped him get his cow's back on his land when they were out he lets me and the family fish his pond so he won't say aneything being there.
The Following User Says Thank You to rambo66 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Prepared

The other thing is two of my friends have given me key's to there houses in case something was to happen if im out in there aera. when there not home. or even when there home i have a few thinge there.At one's house i keep a smaller BOB Sig p6
9mm and mini 14 stored.
The Following User Says Thank You to rambo66 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Old guy who plans ahead

Thanked 3,969 Times in 1,330 Posts

Places to bury a cache must have the capacity for you to actually dig and bury it unseen, otherwise it will be gone when you need (and you may get arrested for trespassing).

Good places include any wilderness area, the woods along side of highways in some parts of the country, gravel areas around train tracks, undeveloped industrial land (you have to make sure it doesn't get developed or you might return to find a parking log over your cache, making it unrecoverable).

Make sure you can find it again when you need. GPS and/map grid coordinates can be helpful. So can landmarks, like utility poles, bridges and power pylons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Staxx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Warrior Trying tobe Civil

Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,175 Posts

Geocaching

If you're not familiar with it, do a search and try it out. You will be amazed at what you can learn about serious caching from this popular world renowned game.

Best Regards......Eagle Six
The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle Six For This Useful Post: