lessons learned and tips - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lessons learned in three days 40cal Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 42 08-10-2016 10:56 PM
Gun Show Lessons Learned NCSURocketScientist Firearms General Discussion 23 01-14-2014 10:23 PM
Bugged out alone! Lessons learned Marcie Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 64 09-30-2012 02:31 PM
Life lessons I learned in my 20's marylp General Discussion 1 05-25-2012 04:11 PM
Lessons learned Benjamen Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 35 03-07-2012 11:37 PM
Lessons learned JJean Health, Fitness and First Aid 3 08-28-2011 10:16 PM
What are the moral lessons to be learned? The Dark One Religious Discussion 10 08-06-2011 10:08 PM
Quick lessons learned... KarMikDie_01 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 08-02-2010 10:31 PM
Lessons Not Learned and Old Paradigms TNPetite.45 Manmade and Natural Disasters 0 07-05-2009 08:22 AM
Lessons I have learned emill Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 06-18-2008 09:47 AM

Old 01-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Asphalt Survivalist

Default lessons learned and tips

Advertise Here

The earthquake and hurricane were big eye openers for a lot of people in DC,N.E. VA, and MD.

Although there was little or no damage from the EQ I learned several important lessons that I would like to share.

1. Within 3 Mins, cell phones did not work and remain inoperable for a few hours. We all evacuated into the parking lot and streets. I watched countless people with phones to their ears trying to contact loved ones or get info. It was sad to see them try and try again. Many people were in panic mode. Lesson: Have a land line handy. Land lines worked in the EQ and the hurricane. My suggestion is an old phone that does not requires power. Buy it at the flea market or yard sale. Also if separated from home, create an appointed time to call for your self and others that may be away. Stagger the times. Discuss this with family. I got through to my family on a land line and has a sense of comfort that everyone was safe in the house.

2. Travel- there are many people more qualified than me on this subject bug out bags etc. My lesson- Is there a river to cross and a bridge to use . Yep they shut several bridges down crossing the Potomac and other bodies of water. One guy I know wanted to get to MD. Waited in line to cross the bridge for 3 hours and he was up front. If the bridge closes, you are not getting to the other side. Watch your routes etc. the bridge could close for many reasons and some may be man made. I have one friend who left his car and was picked dup by a friend in a boat. This is a serious consideration and the bug out back may come in handy if you are stranded on the wrong side of the bridge with hundreds of others.

3. Off subject here- based on my last flat tire I now carry a plug kit and mini air compressor. Well wife got a nail and was loosing air fast. Put some sir back in Pulled nail out of tire on side of road, plugged tire, aired it up and away I drove. Lesson- get tire plug kit from Wal-Mart and a min 12 v air compressor. It could save you.

4. Hurricane- lost power for extended period, lucky I had a generator, neighbors did not. They lost all their food and spent 4 days in hotel, 2 rooms at 90.00 a night times 4 nights….they went to lowes and bought a generator. I also had satisfaction of hearing him telling me he should have listen to me….

stay safe and watchful
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to folly5678 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,646 Times in 2,189 Posts

Local cell phone provider said to "text" in an emergency situation, if voice calls weren't working.
Message would go through faster or be in phone when active tower synced with it.

When I worked in old phone office, I could tell when some thing happened, all the switches started stepping/working.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,244 Times in 984 Posts

Learned our lesson in Katrina -- different modes, no bundles. I keep a landline, non-electric phone. You can still buy them, they're cheap. No WAY would I have my house phone, cell phone, and computer all from the same company.