Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
???Load Bearing Equipment??? Coyote1309 Reviews and questions 35 05-26-2015 04:48 PM
question about load bearing equipment/ tactical vests detroithusky Reviews and questions 6 01-25-2015 10:25 PM
Load Bearing Harness/Chest Rig Hybrid stabnshoot Reviews and questions 10 04-15-2013 01:26 AM
LVB load bearing vest reagan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 06-18-2012 07:21 AM
LBV Load Bearing Tactical Vests 2 FOR $20.00 Shipped CJL ENTERPRIZE silversam1 For Sale 2 06-14-2012 10:05 AM
Engineering question about load bearing ahoustonmale DIY - Do It Yourself 7 05-30-2012 09:51 PM
Weapons/Load Bearing Harness Project High Kapacity DIY - Do It Yourself 11 02-18-2012 06:46 PM
Woodland Ops Load bearing vest rardis4499 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 18 03-01-2011 07:28 PM
? load bearing vest/level III jkc Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 08-29-2010 03:09 AM
what kind of load bearing vest do you have? jason1221 Reviews and questions 26 06-25-2009 02:39 PM

Old 02-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Young Adult

Advertise Here

I say mole.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 PM

I will definitely be following this thread as I have a desire to make my own MOLLE rig as well. I'd like to see how you manage with all this. In my opinion these things are great. Saw multiple stories where people could use these for SHTF situations as well as using them for hiking/camping. Short trips for the most part unless you add a large butt pack to the rig for more storage. Being that I'm looking into this more for hiking then SHTF and I would most likely be carrying a hammock instead of tent and sleeping bag I think it would be much more versatile then a backpack. Good luck and please keep us up to date with info and pics!
Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 PM

Hey, sorry it's been so long since I posted on here. It's taken longer than expected to get the fabric, debating which color to get, but mostly, to get my butt in gear on getting it done.

Anyways, here's the first picture. I know it's not much, but it will hopefully become an amazing something soon.

I went with a natural color of duck cloth, because I am still undecided as to what color I should go for. I'm thinking black, but the back of my mind keeps shouting green.

If you want to do it exactly as I did, I am using the Simplicity pattern 2743, view A, with major modifications. The length seemed a little long, which is ideal for a sweater vest, but not for a MOLLE vest, as the extra length would make it difficult to utilize a battle belt or leg rigging. So I took up the bottom 2 1/2 inches. Also, the pattern intends for the front panel to be divided into two, with a zipper in the middle. This doesn't fit our purposes, so I just cut it on the fold like the back panel. I also cut two of both panels for extra strength and durability.

Hopefully I will be more frequent in my posts, and get this done in a few days. I still need to find enough webbing for it, but I couldn't calculate it until I knew what the dimensions of the area were.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0038.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	45406  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Tactical Stitch Dude

Here is my website. I try and post some how to's from time to time. Maybe this might help you:

Sewing Molle: http://www.tacticaladventuregear.com...e-pattern.html

Sewing Velcro Patterns: http://www.tacticaladventuregear.com...-easy-way.html

Sewing Zippers: http://www.tacticaladventuregear.com...ainer-way.html

Carrying Handles: http://www.tacticaladventuregear.com...ersion-10.html

There's a bunch more on the site I just don't have time to post them all. Browse thru and get some ideas. There is also some tabs at the top on how to get started in making your own gear. I have only been stitching for a year or so but I learned everything pretty much on my own. I don't use any patterns it's all just ideas out of my head. Good luck with your project. If I can be of help let me know.

CC
Old 05-02-2011, 08:57 PM

So I finished up the vest as much as I could. Hopefully on my next paycheck I can buy what I need to finish it up.

On the first picture, you'll notice that I altered the neck area for the front panels. After pinning the pieces together and trying it on, I felt like the neck was too small to comfortably slip in and out of, so I brought the center of the collar front down by 1.5" and then angled it up to the original sides of the collar.

To make the webbing strands, I cut the strands an inch longer than I intended, so that I could turn under a half inch on each side. To prevent fraying while cutting and stitching, I wrapped each cut area (prior to cutting) in scotch tape. Because of my school's policies, I couldn't use a lighter to melt the nylon.

Then I measured where the webbing would go. I goofed on the cutting and measuring, so there is some extra left on the left side (if you're wearing the vest, it would be the right side). The first source I went to said PALS was 1" x 1.25". After looking in several other places, I realized that it is in fact 1" x 1.5". In other words, between each strand of 1" webbing, there is a gap of 1". And each strand of webbing is perpendicularly anchored to the vest every 1.5". As a side note, when you start doing the anchoring, pin the nylon on both sides of the stitch line, as it has a tendency to shift. I had to redo several stitches because the nylon would shift.

Because the duck cloth was starting to fray a lot, I did a quick zigzag stitch on each side to hold it until I could finish the edges. I then sewed the front panels together and the back panels together, which I then sewed together along the shoulders, matching the marks and edges. I then pressed the seam allowances out and top stitched them.

Because I didn't have bias tape available, I used some leftover ribbon I had from a previous project to finish off the edges, which seems to work, except that is a little shiny.

I then decided to dye it black, but that didn't work as planned. During the wash, much of the dye washed out of the fabric, leaving it a rather plum color, rather than the charcoal black I was expecting. Again, on my next paycheck, I am hoping to get another bottle and do it again to see if I can change it.

Other than that, I think the vest is coming along nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0055.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	49026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0054.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	49027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0057.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	49028  
Old 06-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Centurion

You should cut one of the shoulders on it and use a fastener there so if you need to take it off in a hurry, or you are injured and somebody is trying to take it off of you it will be easier. Kinda like the armys new IOTV.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:57 PM

cool idea what is the cost?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Garbage Collector

Thanked 35,942 Times in 8,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTDuctTape View Post
So my next "big" project to work on is a load bearing chest rig. I'm aiming to make it similar to the MOLLE vest, since that's what many of my pouches are MOLLE pouches picked up at thrift stores here and there. However, for me to successfully make something, I need to know why each part is included. My main question is about the belt loops around the bottom. I've never actually seen one worn properly, so I can only speculate that the belt loops are to be used in conjunction with the pants' belt loops. But what purpose does this serve? Any insight is deeply appreciated.

Also (random question), I've heard it pronounced both ways (mole and Molly). Which way do you say it? I usually say mole.

Molly like the female name........

The belt loops at bottom are for attaching to the pistol belt, but could be used for the pants belt. The purpose would be to provide a solid platform for using the drag handle on the back and to allow you to attach some gear to your belt off the vest.

If you want some ideas from an experience point of view feel free to ask.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagious View Post
cool idea what is the cost?
I am not sure on what the vest runs price wise. But I did like the quick release.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:39 PM

howdy

here are 3 pics

i am working on one like this

filman
The Following User Says Thank You to filman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Centurion

I know I am bumping this from the dead, but for those interested in DIY stuff like this I ran across a great site today dedicated to making your own gear. Some of these guys/gals are really amazing.

http://www.diytactical.com/forums/
The Following User Says Thank You to Primalpriest For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the link. Seeing pictures of the homemade holsters has inspired me to try it sometime soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to prep101 For This Useful Post: