Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hiking Camping and Hiking - Free Online Book Barbarossa Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 9 12-02-2012 10:44 PM
My cache's Houndhunter Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 29 03-20-2012 09:42 PM
Where do you store a cache? storii Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 03-06-2012 12:37 PM
cache how to. westrobbinslegend General Discussion 11 02-14-2012 01:11 PM
To Cache or not to Cache that is the question John Rambo Manmade and Natural Disasters 6 01-18-2011 12:06 PM
To cache or not to cache that is the question John Rambo Firearms General Discussion 2 01-13-2011 04:48 PM
To Cache or not to Cache that is the question John Rambo Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 01-13-2011 08:12 AM
Cache ratpatrol01 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 08-27-2009 08:23 PM
Survival Cache Sp!der Urban Survival 28 02-12-2009 08:55 PM
How about a Disposable CACHE? Murph Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 11-08-2008 07:50 PM

Old 03-23-2016, 08:43 AM

Default Hiking to a boat cache?

Advertise Here

Hey guys -

Has anyone ever planned a sweet hike or trek that involved hiking and maybe a boating element?

I'd like to cache an inflatable raft with motor at a certain point, hike to it, and continue the rest of the journey by water (it's a fairly simple creek, suitable for a raft with a trolly motor/paddles).

I think it would be fun. Anyone have any tips? Any experiences?

Any info would be awesome! Thanks!

Ben
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2016, 08:54 AM
Original Orange President

Thanked 1,172 Times in 550 Posts

Not for "survival" reasons at all. I did a 24hr race last year in Hawaii that included hiking / trail running -> paddling -> mt biking.

My ten cents, if this is a "survival" type thing, you either need a real motor, or just ditch the idea. Paddling or a trolling motor are slow.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:57 AM

Thanks Murphy,

No it wasn't particularly for survival or anything... just thought it would chop off a bunch of time from my overall trip. I will be hiking from point A to our hunting camp (which is right on the creek) so I just thought it might be cool to try it.
The Following User Says Thank You to pghbrewer For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 08:58 AM
Outlander Territory

Thanked 6,312 Times in 2,468 Posts

The Aqua blazes on the AT are for this very idea. People hike the white blazes and then do aqua blazes on the water, either finishing on the water or hiking more after.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:08 AM
Original Orange President

Thanked 1,172 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghbrewer View Post
Thanks Murphy,

No it wasn't particularly for survival or anything... just thought it would chop off a bunch of time from my overall trip. I will be hiking from point A to our hunting camp (which is right on the creek) so I just thought it might be cool to try it.
Go for it man! Sounds like fun to me and if it saves time, WTF right?
Old 03-23-2016, 09:13 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,447 Times in 744 Posts

Back in scouts way back in the day we did a couple 50 mile a foot-a float trips, first part was a hiking trip and then canoes for the second half. Long time ago but remember it was a good time , the canoe part was awesome big meals at night with blazing fire right on the river bank.

Go for it.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:14 AM

Any tips on where to stash, or how to conceal? I was thinking of hiding it the night before or so...

What about rain? Would I benefit from burying it?

I have no idea how to go about it!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:17 AM
Currently surviving SHTF

Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,712 Posts

Pretty big $$$ loss if found by, well, not you.

If you do this, i would cache it where i or a friend control the property.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:24 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,447 Times in 744 Posts

Is there a trail you could hike then have someone meet you at a trail-head where there is a suitable river , grab the boat and keep going?

I would be hesitant on leaving something like that to be found by others.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:26 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 22,419 Times in 8,385 Posts

The smaller the creek the tougher your inflatable needs to be. Snags, sharp rocks are everywhere.

I use to inner tube the Boise river a lot. I would road bicycle up to the get in park, inflate a tube for me and one for the bike. Float down to the get out park about 2 hours and 10 miles away, deflate the tube and ride home. No parking fees.

I body surfed the run many times with a borrowed Chesapeake retriever Ginger.

We had a 6 man assault raft with 4 people. I was the only one without a life jacket. We fell into "Mike's hole" in the Payette river. I was pinned to the bottom for several minutes by the weight of the water pushing down. I managed to sort of do a pushup on the bottom and get my legs under me. I pushed off really hard, about 6" from breaking the surface an eddy current ripped off my glasses.

So I'm swimming along in mild rapids and still have my oar. I come across a second one but I let it go after a short time as it was hard to swim with 2 of them. Fighting the current was hard, the fanny pack and shoes weren't helping. I was considering kicking off my shoes so I could swim better - would have sucked once I made shore. The highway was on one side of the river. The get out point and my land cruiser was like 20 miles down stream. I also considered throwing my fanny pack towards the shore once I got close. It had my favorite pistol in the pack.

Anyway I made it out with shoes, pack and my oar. Everyone else was out too, one guy on the wrong side of the river. About 45 minutes later the raft came out of the hole upside down. The guy on my side of the river help me pull it to shore and get it righted. The guy on the wrong side of the river ran like 5 miles downstream and recovered a second oar.

The rest of the trip was uneventful. I had a spare pair of glasses in my rig.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2016, 07:28 AM
Target Shooter

Default Hiking to a boat cache?

No motor, but a packraft is made for backpacking and adds ~8 lbs. Sets up in ~5 mins.

Or bicycling

And it'll carry your pack, or bike, across the water for one way travel. Don't expect much more than 1 mile/hr though.