What are the deepest lessons you've learned from Martial Arts? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traditional martial arts or mma Grass hopper Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 95 06-18-2017 09:23 AM
Martial Arts trail walker Health, Fitness and First Aid 89 04-05-2016 09:30 PM
Martial Arts Promotions PhotonGuy General Discussion 35 01-11-2015 09:33 AM
Martial Arts Renegade Coach Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 64 08-15-2014 02:43 AM
Kid's martial arts Stealthy1 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 6 12-04-2012 10:17 PM
Who here practices Martial Arts? Vanishing Nomad General Discussion 38 08-03-2012 09:26 AM
What system have you learned for Self Defense (NOT Martial Arts) deanathpc General Discussion 10 02-24-2011 06:19 PM
Martial Arts SilverSpLou Health, Fitness and First Aid 35 01-09-2011 07:09 AM
Martial arts AffairAtLexington Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 80 10-10-2009 03:06 PM
Martial Arts for the Prepper ready1 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 05-05-2008 11:56 AM

Old 08-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Cat and parrot whisperer

Thanked 1,893 Times in 751 Posts

Advertise Here

I've trained fighters and competed in MMA, jujitsu and judo matches. Taught kids and adults. I had a really good (and lucky!) competition career as well but here's some of the things I learned:

1. Some people will say that even something like traditional karate or whatever is "useless on the streets." They're wrong. If you train properly, you can still use whatever combat techniques you learn. It's all about the training and HOW you train. Doesn't matter if you train in "just" some variety of karate, or whether you train in aikido, jujitsu or whatever. They all are very useful if properly applied.

2. Some people say the opposite: that you can't be effective on the streets unless you know (take your pick here...) brazilian jujitsu, kickboxing, etc. You know who the most underrated martial artists are out there? Wrestlers. A good wrestler is dangerous period. It's not just about the art, it's how they train. Intense competition against others, not just practicing rote moves and visualizing how to use them. That's key. A good wrestler can hold his own with just about anyone, at least in the ground game, as long as they adapt to not extend their neck and their arms. A good jujitsu practitioner will choke them out or armbar them quickly if they don't learn that. Or you can be a self taught brawler and make fools out of black belts. Again, it's how you train, etc.

3. Training in a martial art is only as good as YOU make it. If you train intensely and in a practical manner against other human beings, you will be 10x more effective than if you simply practice moves in front of a mirror. You have to learn timing and how to sense the ebb and flow of a confrontation...when that moment or moments are where you need to act. That's key as well as having the ability to explode into aggressive activity when you sense those moments.

4. I also learned that no matter how bad-a$$ you are and how long you've trained. No matter how many people you can beat at once in a "demonstration" for a class....training only gives you a BETTER CHANCE at surviving or coping with the situation in a way that turns out positively for you. If you're facing more than one person at a time, you're in a serious situation and serious trouble. Again, doesn't matter how awesome you are. If those multiple attackers are armed in any way, the odds just keep falling. Your training still just gives you a better CHANCE at dealing with the situation. There are NO GUARANTEES. So, the harder you train and prepare, the better your chances. Unfortunately, you can't keep up that intensity forever which leads to...

5. Time catches up with us all. You can be awesome, but you eventually will not be able to train as intensely or perform as intensely as you did when you were younger. You have to focus more on technique to overcome your lack of youth, as it were. It can be done. But again, you will reach a point where you realize, that you might want a little more help than just your arms and legs so you may want to train with firearms as well. Especially if you're ever in a situation confronting more than one assailant, an aid like a firearm may be invaluable. Again, it's not a guarantee but that also helps improve your odds of having the situation work out positively.

6. The last thing I learned was that I really loved teaching the young kids..they were great. The last thing I learned was that I'll never get over missing the thrill of competition and I'll probably never be able to watch a UFC and go to sleep within 6 hours of watching it.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:35 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

The most important one:
The more lethal your skills become, the less likely you are to use them.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2015, 10:38 PM
Cat and parrot whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
The most important one:
The more lethal your skills become, the less likely you are to use them.
I wish I could say more people felt this way. I think that in part encouraged by the "MMA culture," you have an increasing amount of people that just like to fight and hurt other people. They use the fighting as a way to do it legally. Although you can usually tell that type as well because they tend to consistently get into trouble outside of the ring.

The old 70's culture of "deadly hands" and all of that is long gone.

Oh, but here's another nugget of wisdom.. lol

What is a black belt good for?
Only for holding your pants up!
Old 08-03-2015, 10:43 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

Then MMA fighters haven't learned anything.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:49 PM
Cat and parrot whisperer

Eh, it's just some people's personalities no matter the discipline. I think it's being encouraged more now because of MMA and the attention that's getting, but it was around even years ago. I'm sure most people have encountered instructors who preached that their way was the only way and the best one? That they were the best? It's just another facet of that same attitude and personality.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:59 PM
Always thinking

Many many years of training. Lots of sparring...no pads. Mas Oyama style. I learned to always throw combinations...and then add combinations to your combinations. Be prepared to walk away from a fight if you can, but also be prepared to use whatever it takes to overwhelm and finish it if you can't. And train train train.
The Following User Says Thank You to mfxman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2015, 06:20 PM

My Instructor was very instrumental in getting Karate in the Olympics as a competitive sport. He was also on the cover of Black Belt Magazine numerous times and was named "Instructor of the Year" twice.

I am being serious here too. He taught us to hit the person(s) with anything we could get our hands on. You name it, if it can be used to hit somebody we were taught to use this first, then and only then, use Karate. We were taught a mixture of Tae Kwon Do, Shotokan, and Aikido. Now when I was in the ring you naturally cannot do this. I was tempted into thinking once I should of when I was going to fight Billy Banks in Youngstown in the early 80's...

Thank the Lord Jesus that he got stuck in the airport somewhere between California and Indiana because of a snow storm. Many people do not know this but the last I heard about Billy was that he was a Christian. I also thought about taking my Bible in the ring and talking to him about scripture that says not to hurt people with handicaps too. lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to M16A1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16A1 View Post
He taught us to hit the person(s) with anything we could get our hands on...
The first rule of unarmed combat: Find a weapon!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruce001 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2015, 08:11 AM
Trapper

Thanked 2,181 Times in 655 Posts

I am studying a "traditional" style of kenpo for the past... 13 years... and here's what I've learned from my trainer.

Use every-god-damn-thing you have in a fight. Don't think something is not fair, or too cruel in combat. Bite, claw, scratch, throw stuff, pull out weapons if needs be.

I remember a training session I had with a BJJ guy who came in to train with us for one time. He pulled guard and told me that from there I couldn't do anything he couldn't counter. I put two thumbs on his eyes and pressed in (not to damage him ofcourse, just to show him I could). He was shocked that it was even an option - but hey, why not, right?

Sooooo... that's what I learned. Fair fights are for tournaments and movies.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BadExample For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Cat and parrot whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadExample View Post
I am studying a "traditional" style of kenpo for the past... 13 years... and here's what I've learned from my trainer.

Use every-god-damn-thing you have in a fight. Don't think something is not fair, or too cruel in combat. Bite, claw, scratch, throw stuff, pull out weapons if needs be.

I remember a training session I had with a BJJ guy who came in to train with us for one time. He pulled guard and told me that from there I couldn't do anything he couldn't counter. I put two thumbs on his eyes and pressed in (not to damage him ofcourse, just to show him I could). He was shocked that it was even an option - but hey, why not, right?

Sooooo... that's what I learned. Fair fights are for tournaments and movies.
Lol. That's funny. True...if martial artists train exclusively for tournaments and fights, they can lose sight of some basic things like that. Training for competition and competing are great for getting truly good at your technique and practical application, but just like with armed defense training or anything else, you'll need to use visualization and other tools to maintain an edge for the street.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:29 PM
Demon of the Midwest

Thanked 9,564 Times in 3,172 Posts

I learned that I can last a whole 8 seconds against a guy twice my size that use to train our special forces. I'm rather proud of that.
The Following User Says Thank You to TinmanIA For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2015, 05:23 AM
High Concept

Thanked 6,586 Times in 2,368 Posts

Always be ready to fight and always be ready not to fight.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,336 Times in 11,459 Posts

patience....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2015, 06:58 PM
CHARGE 7 White bag!

Learned I need to keep my pistols....Long Range Rifles and a lot of tannerite with some Epoxy and BB's...Trust me if you can hit a black belt a couple of times with 7.62 or a .45 it takes the fight right out of em!
Old 08-30-2015, 07:02 PM
CHARGE 7 White bag!

Oh speaking of MMA Fighters....She can kick my arse anytime!....BTW that AIN'T her blood LOL! Love you Rhonda !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	103254  
Old 08-31-2015, 03:41 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Default I would gladly, gladly, volunteer to be her

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGT PRIDE View Post
Oh speaking of MMA Fighters....She can kick my arse anytime!....BTW that AIN'T her blood LOL! Love you Rhonda !!!
punchin bag for a day, just to have her spend the day and have dinner with me in tha swamp..... that there is perfection in motion....
Old 09-01-2015, 12:05 PM

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I trained at my college's club, which was co-ed. It was there that I learned my most valuable lesson for fighting. A woman will hurt you just as easily as a man. Don't treat her lightly; don't take her less seriously; and give her just as much as you'd give any other opponent.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,543 Times in 8,149 Posts

Another thing that I learned is that if the person you are fighting pulls a knife, you are going to probably die or be seriously hurt.
The Following User Says Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2015, 08:18 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Default what I learned about when a assailant comes at you with a blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ_Grappler View Post
Another thing that I learned is that if the person you are fighting pulls a knife, you are going to probably die or be seriously hurt.
the best you can expect is to have to get stitched up by a MPs wife (off duty nurse) at her kitchen table. that one was 64 stitches. and I won..... still to this day trying to figure out exactly what i won.......
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,543 Times in 8,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGT PRIDE View Post
Yeah, because that picture is from a video game.