Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet information to gather for future use if there is no internet darlenea Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 32 10-31-2015 05:15 PM
A Look at Next Level Training?s SIRT 107 ?M&P? Laser Training Pistol AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-02-2014 05:00 PM
First Aid Training Video/Training Thread Purdy Bear Health, Fitness and First Aid 2 07-29-2014 08:41 PM
Combat Readiness Training, EMT Training usmountains Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 03-19-2014 10:20 PM
Training for Survival vs. training to look good SandyBurton Health, Fitness and First Aid 21 01-05-2013 05:01 PM
Survival Training: Upcoming Central Rockies Lightfoot Survival Training firestat Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 02-22-2012 08:57 PM
i can help if you need advice..combat training and fitness training Wolfpacuk Health, Fitness and First Aid 13 01-20-2012 04:13 AM
Military training/ Operation Urban Warrior video/Martial Law training patriot101 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 12-12-2011 10:01 PM
Changing training... what are they training for? countryboy123 General Discussion 29 06-18-2010 01:48 PM
Glossy Internet Magazine Targets Americans for Jihad Training Newsfeed General Discussion 0 05-02-2009 04:00 AM

Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 AM

Default Opinions on Internet/DVD Training

Advertise Here

I am having a running conversation on the value of internet/dvd based self defense training with a friend of mine. We both agree that the vast majority of stuff out there is crap, but there also are some gold nuggets to be found in some of this training on dvd, internet, youtube, etc.

I would like for anyone, hell everyone, to share with me what it is that would make you purchase a dvd from anyone of the thousands of guys out there offering martial arts, self defense, or combative training. How do you know you are not about to get ripped off by some guy just shoveling crap? Can you actually learn anything that can be physically put to use in a real life situation?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 10:16 AM

I have bought a couple of programs and think if you do your research you can fine one that works and you wont get ripped off.

I looked at Lee Morrison, Tony Blauer, and Kelly McCann and they seem to be top notch but not sure I could actually use there stuff in real life.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:06 PM

You can learn stuff like technique's from watching dvd's but you get the real benefit when you put them to the test. You should train and become firmiliar with the technique's. When practised enough you also develope what they call 'muscle-memory'.

Just buying and watching isn't enough to keep you safe I'm afraid..
The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfufox For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 11:53 AM

Obviously you are going to have to get off the couch, but I think internet based or dvd training could be used at great advantage by the person who is not actively training or the person who as little to no expereince.

It is easy enough to learn basic punching, kicking, open hand strikes,and knees & elbows by replicating the moves youare taught and shown on video. Learning to escape the most common grabs and holds can be taught and shown in the same manner, however a partner would be needed to let you play with the techniques so you could get a feel for the movements and how they are supposed to work.

Of course as you get past the "basics" a partner will be of great help(practically necessary) so you can begin to understand how to apply movement, distance, and varied resistance as you progress in your skill set.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Adventurer

Thanked 10,647 Times in 1,748 Posts

I bought Scott Sullivan's Basic and Advanced Muay Thai DVD set as an aid for teaching my wife Muay Thai.
Saved me explaining a lot of stuff.
Scott did it all for me.

I then bought another Scott Sullivan production, Evangilista 'Cyborg' Santos Muay Thai and MMA instructional video.

I posted a review about them here:

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=234518

Old 09-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Urban Survivor

My opinion, for what it's worth, I think you can learn some things from internet/dvd training. How quickly you assimilate stuff will be based on previous experience.

For example, I just got the Jim Grover Combatives DVD Series 1-3 and I think this is some very top notch combatives. The no nonsense approach, the practicality of the techniques and the simplicity of movement...coupled with the easy explanations by Kelly, makes these DVDs makes it easy to breakdown and understand. Forgive me if it sounds like a plug...but they are good. However, I already have a combatives background and these dvd's are great supplementals.

On the other hand, there are some clips on YouTube that I review all the time specific to internal body structure/training that can only take me so far. I would need more hands on experience to confirm or correct my understanding. So, depending on what you are looking for, your background and availability of schools, dvd's can help.
The Following User Says Thank You to ohdrj For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 01:00 AM
New Days New Tribes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCS View Post
I would like for anyone, hell everyone, to share with me what it is that would make you purchase a dvd from anyone of the thousands of guys out there offering martial arts, self defense, or combative training.
Consensus. I look at reviews, forum discussions, the explanations or defenses given by the teacher to any criticisms. Then I'll give a ranking to various stuff on any one subject, then buy the dvds and books at the top of the list. If it all adds up, then I'll consider getting it.

An example would be walking/short stick instructionals. Looked at what is available.

Got Martial Cane Concepts by Michael Janich. Awaiting the arrival of Senshido' Strategic Stick Fighting dvd, and trying to get the Stun, Stagger, & Stop dvds by Thomson & Balicki.

Don't need much more. Get all that practiced, will be as good as I'm likely to get on the subject.

Knife is different. Always want more. Especially from Lee Morrison, Senshido, Ray Floro, Alliance Martial Arts. And that's just the dvds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Donii_Mann For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 01:47 AM
Prepared

Instructional dvds are very useful, especially to learn the basics. I always remember hearing the stories of Rich Franklin starting out with instructional tapes in a garage in Harrison, Ohio.
The technique is presented to you, but you must have a sparring partner or two to practice and train with eventually. You can only go so far by yourself with the heavy bag. At the end of the day, I suppose its better than nothing though!
My personal favorite instructionals are:

-Jiu Jitsu Revolution - Saulo Ribeiro's gi BJJ instrucional. If I remember correctly (without going downstairs to look) it is 9 dvds and very thorough. I think I paid over $100 for the set.

-Bas Rutten's first instructional set - very simple, easy to follow. You can buy separate volumes from www.budovideos.com

-Jens Pulver's dirty boxing instructional dvd - once again, very simple and easy to follow. Jens explains everything in detail

-TITLE Boxing's How to Work the Punch Mitts dvd - Once you start training with someone else it helps to have a understanding of how to hit and hold the focus mitts

-Rob Kaman's muay thai instructional set - Probably my favorite instructional set. Very detailed.

I'm probably forgetting a few but those are the ones that stick out off the top of my head. I've seen some useful instructional books out there as well, and some not so much. I thought BJ Penn's mma instructional book was awesome, on the other hand, Marcelo Garcia's X-guard instructional was a total waste of money (unless I want to perfect my BJJ butt scoot). Fedor's book was good, showed how simple he kept a lot of his technique, yet he was so dominant. I also liked Greg Jackson's standup fighting book.
The Following User Says Thank You to DIYorDIE For This Useful Post: