Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Martial law MOA1 Political News and Discussion 4 03-19-2013 09:42 PM
Where are the artists? Zlotych Political News and Discussion 25 11-19-2012 10:02 PM
martial law getFOODnow Political News and Discussion 6 09-09-2012 02:09 PM
Finding, artists and names of songs hawk55732 The Tech Zone 6 07-21-2012 06:55 AM
Artists reveal stunning post-apocalyptic images East Coast Woods General Discussion 1 03-31-2012 12:37 PM
What would it take for Martial Law eskrima Political News and Discussion 24 03-18-2012 01:44 PM
Martial law in NJ shawn Political News and Discussion 6 08-20-2009 12:26 PM
Do you actually know what Martial Law is ? wchancey General Discussion 18 08-19-2009 02:14 AM
hi there martial law trixie Controversial News and Alternative Politics 2 10-09-2008 03:01 PM

Old 06-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Target Shooter

Advertise Here

Taught Isshin-ryu and TKD for a few years. Now I stick to Tai Chi and Chi Gung.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 02:02 AM
Eh kay vs eh are dood!

Thanked 3,833 Times in 1,624 Posts

I did MMA for a while. I've got some vicious leg kicks.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:01 PM

Been doing BJJ 3-4 days a week for 2+ years. The Gym I go to is more oriented toward MMA so it is more fighting focused than Sport BJJ. Points and scoring never come up in training.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Double tap

If we ever make it down that way I would love to bring my boys and roll for the day. Looks like some mighty fine training.

The charicter of the Sensei dictates the quality of a dojo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCS View Post
Nah... I'm serious. If i have to fight it is only for my safety or that of my family or an innocent victim.

My doors are always open to anyone that is in the area or just passing through. I have been welcomed as a visitor at many places by many people and I always try to extend the same hospitality.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:31 PM
~

Just keep in mind that most Marital Arts don't train you for real life combat. Being able to spare in class is entirely different than having to defend yourself in a real life or death situation.

Yes the martial arts can help, just remember that it's often the quickest and simplest moves that are going to work in a real life situation.

Don't get obsessed over styles and forms because they mean absolutely nothing in real life. Learn to end a fight as quickly as possible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Offgridsurvival.com For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2012, 04:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,155 Posts

Green belt instructor for the Corps.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Winter is coming.

Thanked 3,884 Times in 1,636 Posts

Little bit of a lot of things. McDojo karate, drunken brawls, backyard Muay Thai, attacked a few times in the street, Krav Maga, traditional Jujitsu, Navy boarding party def tactics, bit of boxing.

I'm not that well trained in any one thing but i've a fair bit of direct experience of violence. I know enough to react quickly, decisively and finish it fast. I've come to appreciate the ancient art of cheating ie bar stools, your mates, ash trays, hit them first, running away, car keys... that sort of thing.

EDIT: I dont have much experience with ground work, which is a weakness nowadays as it seems all the young guys are into it. We had a BJJ instructor come and teach a few times at our trad jujitsu school and covered the basics in Krav Maga, but its pretty complicated and not much stuck in my head. When the kids are a little older and i have more time i'll investigate the MMA club that has just opened in town.

Last edited by PapaWhiskyBravo; 07-23-2012 at 03:07 AM.. Reason: Nunya biznez
Old 07-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Winter is coming.

Thanked 3,884 Times in 1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgridsurvival.com View Post
Just keep in mind that most Marital Arts don't train you for real life combat. Being able to spare in class is entirely different than having to defend yourself in a real life or death situation.

Yes the martial arts can help, just remember that it's often the quickest and simplest moves that are going to work in a real life situation.

Don't get obsessed over styles and forms because they mean absolutely nothing in real life. Learn to end a fight as quickly as possible.
What have you trained in?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Prepared

4th degree BB traditional TKD, aikido and jujitsu to round things out. Agree, simple is better, flashy stuff gets you landed on your arse. Also concur that age will change how you fight. I had both knees scoped last year to clean things up, but they can't take the pounding they used to. But martial training is a way of life, always being situationally aware. Many tiimes that alone can keep you from needing to defend yourself or your loved ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to dynamike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2012, 06:40 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamike View Post
4th degree BB traditional TKD, aikido and jujitsu to round things out. Agree, simple is better, flashy stuff gets you landed on your arse. Also concur that age will change how you fight. I had both knees scoped last year to clean things up, but they can't take the pounding they used to. But martial training is a way of life, always being situationally aware. Many tiimes that alone can keep you from needing to defend yourself or your loved ones.
There's an old saying, "Never pick a fight with an old guy. If he doesn't think he can beat you, then he will just kill you." Age certainly does change the way you fight. I can't do the pretty kicks like I used to, but I sure have learned some treacherous moves that will put you down and out fast. That is what you need in a real situation. Point fighting is SO TOTALLY different than real life. It's fun, but just like having dessert - doesn't really do anything good for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScottyGunn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2012, 09:48 PM

JKD under Paul Vunak & MCMAP.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:55 PM

Escrima and boxing,i am looking for a good JKD instructor.Also was a Judoka,brown belt
Old 08-09-2012, 08:47 PM

Judo here! Also have some training in wrestling (high school), Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, and BJJ.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Μολών Λaβέ

Thanked 2,792 Times in 654 Posts

Coming from hardstyle karate, softstyle kungfu was an eye-opener. It was like going from checkers to chess. Of course, the instructor and personal commitment is what matters more than the style.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:42 AM

I train in Kyokushin Karate two nights a week. I'd like to start Judo but I haven't found any dojos near where I live, but when I do I'll be signing up right away. :D
Old 08-24-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ_Grappler View Post
I hate the term "martial artist". There should be nothing artistic about fighting. It should be scientific. I am a "martial scientist". About 14 years ago I chose muay Thai to learn to fight and a few years later got into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Judo. Fighting should be about the most efficient, most effective way of destroying your opponent.

NOT ART

BJJ 3 times a week, muay Thai once a week. I get to actually use it in the field several times a month.
I couldn't agree more. I am not interested in the "arts" side of a fighting system.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
This will probably be moved to the Non-lethal weapons and self defense section. I do a little of everything JKD is what I love to do but I often do Boxing, Krav, BJJ, Thai boxing and anything else I think is relevant. I like to spar once a week but it's been a few weeks because I have a rib injury.
Do you have a training center for jkd or do you self study? I had to self teach based on what I read due to the absence of any sort of formal center in my area. Truly awesome idealogy though, love the practicality and simplicity.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:37 PM

Boxing, Bjj, are my main focus. I have the best of muay thai, jj, karate, and aikido mixed in. As I just posted, I love jkd and have only done self studies. One thing I learned from jkd: Never kick above the waste! Also useful in mma for those that are involved. When you think about the benefits of a head kick, mid kick the openings you give negates any positive.