Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How To Follow a Compass For Land Navigation AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-08-2018 08:00 AM
Low cost survival Gear: 31 cent compass kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 29 02-28-2018 07:49 AM
Old guy just ordered a Kindle book reader. MattB4 The Tech Zone 37 02-15-2018 08:00 PM
Houston flooding--lessons? Reality? goose3 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 303 09-09-2017 09:46 PM
Review: Sawyer?s Treasure Book, by Ron Brooks AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 06-22-2017 12:30 PM

Old 05-21-2019, 06:31 PM

Default Book Review: Navigating With or Without a Compass

Advertise Here

This rather small book (slightly over 100 pp) is intended as an introduction to overland navigation. Although it has some useful tips such as how to find South using an analog watch and how to determine the hours of daylight left using your hands, most of the material is just too basic for most preppers / survivalists.

Just about everything found in this book can be found in various woodcraft or survival manuals. Even the older Boy Scout handbooks cover nearly as much information. On top of this, the book's awkward size (roughly 6" x 4") and hard cover would make it difficult to carry in a pack even if it was full of useful information.

I recommend skipping this book unless you're a complete newbie to navigation. Even if you are a newbie, there are better books on this subject.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 06:36 PM
Bad Dog

Thanked 14,751 Times in 3,141 Posts

What book? How about a link.

If it's an Amazon book, there are a lot of scam book authors selling crap on Amazon. Reviews are heavily salted so it's hard to judge a book just by the reviews. Always make sure you read the negative reviews.

I once bought a book on Amazon that had glowing reviews. The book read like a high school essay and each chapter consisted of one short paragraph. The entire book was only 37 pages. It only had one negative 1-star review and I should have read it. It was the only honest review.

That one went back.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:21 PM

I wouldn't call it a scam book, just a book without much useful in it.

https://www.amazon.com/Navigating-Wi...s%2C386&sr=8-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2019, 04:10 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,647 Times in 769 Posts

The great thing about digital books is that you can download lots of books, many of them free, and then compile your own book from the best parts. If you read ten books on navigation, each will probably have sections that are useful. Take the good stuff and then either print or store them on a tablet. I like the older paper white readers, especially the Kindle DX, which are very rugged and can hold a charge for a month. I take one with me when I go backpacking on the AT, so at the end of each day I can review the next day's hike. Same when I take an extended motorcycle trip. If you keep one in a good ziplock bag with some rice, it will stay dry and weighs less than a book.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:45 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 14,751 Times in 3,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper_Ed View Post
I wouldn't call it a scam book, just a book without much useful in it.

https://www.amazon.com/Navigating-Wi...s%2C386&sr=8-1
I didn't say it was a scam book, but there are lots of scam authors who generate useless garbage with nice cover art and great titles. There are courses that teach people how to do this as one of the many get-rich-quick schemes. I will say that at $11.99, his Kindle edition is way overpriced. The hardcover price is probably about right.