I lucked into a Mauser yesterday/last week. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Evaluating Trump's 1st Week PeterEnergy Polls and Surveys 32 03-02-2017 02:44 PM
Trumps first week: 14 Executive Actions Mr. Sockpuppet Political News and Discussion 26 01-29-2017 08:36 AM
BLM week of action in Philadelphia schools Gva General Discussion 8 01-16-2017 12:48 AM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2019, 10:46 AM
daddyusmaximus's Avatar
daddyusmaximus daddyusmaximus is offline
Retired Army
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indiana
Age: 56
Posts: 5,052
Thanks: 6,154
Thanked 15,547 Times in 3,623 Posts
Default I lucked into a Mauser yesterday/last week.



Advertise Here

Last weekend we were all in Terre Haute, IN to see my son graduate from ISU. Before we left, we (I) decided to stop in and see the new Top Guns store. It was a tiny shop last time I was in there. My father-in-law found a 20 G Stevens hes been looking for, but didn't have the cash. I offered to buy it for him if he gave me his Mauser. No deal, but he offered me his other 9mm handgun.

I went ahead and bought it for him, even though he couldn't remember what kind of handgun it was. Wonderful gentleman, who has helped us a lot in the past. Got home... Turns out he had sold the other 9mm. (His memory isn't so great these days as he's in his 70s.) Went to range yesterday to shoot, and after one round of the Mauser... he said "That's it." I got the Mauser.

He's had it for years, but never fired it. Supposedly, it was a bring back he got from his uncle "Unkie" who fought it Italy during WWII. However, doing some research, I find it's a Brazilian model 1908. I remember Unkie saying he got it in Italy, but he was old. This was just before he passed about 5 or 6 years ago.

The good news is it's numbers matching. Bolt, barrel, floorplate, and stock all match the receiver.

The bad news is it's pretty rough. The wood has a lot of little dings in it, and the crest is kinda shallow. The receiver, being in the white for over 100 years is kind rough. There is no bayonet, or sling, and I can't get the cleaning rod pulled out. I haven't disassembled it to clean it yet.

The good news is there's no rust or pitting, and it shoots well. All that dust must have been like a protective layer.

Not a fan of the sights. It's very hard to shoot with that tiny v-notch and my bad eyes. I may end up putting a peep sight on it, but not sure yet. The only other surplus bolt gun I ever had was a #4 MK 1, and it had peep sights on it. That 29" barrel is something else too. Getting real used to all the modern guns with their shorter barrels. Lol.







Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 11:30 AM
goat daddy goat daddy is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,074
Thanks: 3,047
Thanked 4,237 Times in 1,856 Posts
Default

Nice rifle. I just sporterized a parts rifle. had it been a good military rifle I would have left it alone but it was just a barreled action. Now it wears a scope and will fit behind the truck seat. 30-06 is a good round, I plan to shoot cast projectiles in mine. I have a fondness for mausers, both military and sporterized.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 12:33 PM
Reasonable Rascal's Avatar
Reasonable Rascal Reasonable Rascal is offline
Target Shooter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 406
Thanks: 299
Thanked 837 Times in 292 Posts
Default

I wouldn't be upset at that deal. IMHO you done good.

RR
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Reasonable Rascal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 12:40 PM
Bluesman60 Bluesman60 is offline
Hunter/Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: west of the Rockies
Posts: 439
Thanks: 1,296
Thanked 633 Times in 207 Posts
Default

The only thing bad about owning a Mauser rifle is that you will end up wanting a second....
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bluesman60 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 12:41 PM
Lost Woods Survival's Avatar
Lost Woods Survival Lost Woods Survival is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South-east NC
Posts: 909
Thanks: 22
Thanked 960 Times in 491 Posts
Default

Everyone single one I ever bought had pitting under the wood. So I just pass them up at shows and stores now. And many sellers wont let you look or take it apart to check. I bought one that was so bad I couldn't shoot it after seeing the pits.
But thats just me, I know they are good guns and wish I had one without that kind of damage.
I also just saw that Brazil still has some in use for home guard and police.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Lost Woods Survival For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 12:46 PM
Dutchmano1's Avatar
Dutchmano1 Dutchmano1 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Middle of nowhere arkansas
Posts: 2,153
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,335 Times in 788 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
Nice rifle. I just sporterized a parts rifle. had it been a good military rifle I would have left it alone but it was just a barreled action. Now it wears a scope and will fit behind the truck seat. 30-06 is a good round, I plan to shoot cast projectiles in mine. I have a fondness for mausers, both military and sporterized.
The 30-06 is an excellent round. It's one of my favorites.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Dutchmano1's Avatar
Dutchmano1 Dutchmano1 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Middle of nowhere arkansas
Posts: 2,153
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,335 Times in 788 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
Last weekend we were all in Terre Haute, IN to see my son graduate from ISU. Before we left, we (I) decided to stop in and see the new Top Guns store. It was a tiny shop last time I was in there. My father-in-law found a 20 G Stevens hes been looking for, but didn't have the cash. I offered to buy it for him if he gave me his Mauser. No deal, but he offered me his other 9mm handgun.

I went ahead and bought it for him, even though he couldn't remember what kind of handgun it was. Wonderful gentleman, who has helped us a lot in the past. Got home... Turns out he had sold the other 9mm. (His memory isn't so great these days as he's in his 70s.) Went to range yesterday to shoot, and after one round of the Mauser... he said "That's it." I got the Mauser.

He's had it for years, but never fired it. Supposedly, it was a bring back he got from his uncle "Unkie" who fought it Italy during WWII. However, doing some research, I find it's a Brazilian model 1908. I remember Unkie saying he got it in Italy, but he was old. This was just before he passed about 5 or 6 years ago.

The good news is it's numbers matching. Bolt, barrel, floorplate, and stock all match the receiver.

The bad news is it's pretty rough. The wood has a lot of little dings in it, and the crest is kinda shallow. The receiver, being in the white for over 100 years is kind rough. There is no bayonet, or sling, and I can't get the cleaning rod pulled out. I haven't disassembled it to clean it yet.

The good news is there's no rust or pitting, and it shoots well. All that dust must have been like a protective layer.

Not a fan of the sights. It's very hard to shoot with that tiny v-notch and my bad eyes. I may end up putting a peep sight on it, but not sure yet. The only other surplus bolt gun I ever had was a #4 MK 1, and it had peep sights on it. That 29" barrel is something else too. Getting real used to all the modern guns with their shorter barrels. Lol.







I had an argentine of about that same vintage but in 7.65x53 mauser. That action is as smooth as glass. A real pleasure to cycle. I always thought I'd like to have the 1908 brazilian in the 7x57 mauser cartridge. That's a wonderful cartridge.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Dutchmano1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 12:57 PM
Kalifornia Guy's Avatar
Kalifornia Guy Kalifornia Guy is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kalifornia
Posts: 4,701
Thanks: 5,171
Thanked 6,041 Times in 2,805 Posts
Default

Congrats on the addition to your family, it's cool to have the info about how it got here and how you got it.
r I have a Mauser 93 that I enjoy shooting out to 200 yards and nailing the steel target next to a guy with a modern rifle/scope, 7X57 Mauser is also a good round to reload within reason with lots of bullet choices. If your thinking about building a rifle based on the action, keeping it as a 7x57 with a new barrel would make a good hunting round or a .257 Roberts barrel for targets and hunting. I'd keep it as is, the Mauser has lots of character.

IIRC: they were produced until WW1 began, DWM had good quality control and built good rifles.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalifornia Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 01:03 PM
daddyusmaximus's Avatar
daddyusmaximus daddyusmaximus is offline
Retired Army
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indiana
Age: 56
Posts: 5,052
Thanks: 6,154
Thanked 15,547 Times in 3,623 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalifornia Guy View Post
Congrats on the addition to your family, it's cool to have the info about how it got here and how you got it.
r I have a Mauser 93 that I enjoy shooting out to 200 yards and nailing the steel target next to a guy with a modern rifle/scope, 7X57 Mauser is also a good round to reload within reason with lots of bullet choices. If your thinking about building a rifle based on the action, keeping it as a 7x57 with a new barrel would make a good hunting round or a .257 Roberts barrel for targets and hunting. I'd keep it as is, the Mauser has lots of character.

IIRC: they were produced until WW1 began, DWM had good quality control and built good rifles.
That's what I'm finding out. I never thought much on the caliber, but after shooting it, I can say it's pretty smooth. Way less kick that my .308 Axis I traded off to my boy over the winter. I don't reload, but there is ammo out there. Maybe not the best ammo, unless you pay dearly for it, but there is some out there. I'll keep it 7mm for sure. Need more range time with it to determine if I'll sink money into it or not. For sure I want better sights. My eyes suck... Gonna put some hi-viz stuff on the front sight post for the next time, see if that helps.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 03:15 PM
ajole ajole is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,025
Thanks: 7,024
Thanked 19,934 Times in 6,437 Posts
Default

I like the 7mm Mauser, got a Chilean and a Spanish.


They aren't making them, but the Lee Loader used to be made for the 7mm Mauser, that would let you reload pretty easily. But at the prices I see for used 7mm Mauser Loaders, you could buy the basic press and dies, and be ahead of things.

They are simple to reload, so don't be afraid to start a new hobby!
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 02:26 AM
steve marshall steve marshall is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Age: 68
Posts: 3,468
Thanks: 1,138
Thanked 4,026 Times in 1,884 Posts
Default

PRVI is decent ammunition. Graf sells it for under $16 a box. If you refuse to reload, that's about as inexpensive as it gets.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to steve marshall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 02:47 PM
Bluesman60 Bluesman60 is offline
Hunter/Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: west of the Rockies
Posts: 439
Thanks: 1,296
Thanked 633 Times in 207 Posts
Default

FYI, a lot of Mauser knowledge on the K-98 forum.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluesman60 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 10:26 PM
daddyusmaximus's Avatar
daddyusmaximus daddyusmaximus is offline
Retired Army
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indiana
Age: 56
Posts: 5,052
Thanks: 6,154
Thanked 15,547 Times in 3,623 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman60 View Post
FYI, a lot of Mauser knowledge on the K-98 forum.
Is that a separate forum? I don't see a category for that here.

I can't take it down to check/clean it. The action screws just will not budge. Any ideas, or am I gonna end up going to a smith?
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 12:03 AM
Bluesman60 Bluesman60 is offline
Hunter/Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: west of the Rockies
Posts: 439
Thanks: 1,296
Thanked 633 Times in 207 Posts
Default

K-98 Forum is a separate online forum that I joined when I bought my K-98. Those Mauser Gewehr folks really know their stuff on all models and years...
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 02:08 AM
sarco2000's Avatar
sarco2000 sarco2000 is offline
If I had a voice I'd sing
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Beyond the Grid, in Montana
Age: 53
Posts: 7,134
Thanks: 14,569
Thanked 22,464 Times in 5,588 Posts
Default

Very nice! Good job on making sure a rifle with history like that is kept in the family. I hope your kids appreciate it some day.

And yeah, sounds like a great time to start reloading!

.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 02:24 PM
Israel Putnam's Avatar
Israel Putnam Israel Putnam is online now
Bunker Hill Patriot
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: W. Central PA
Posts: 7,024
Thanks: 3,876
Thanked 11,244 Times in 4,514 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
Is that a separate forum? I don't see a category for that here.

I can't take it down to check/clean it. The action screws just will not budge. Any ideas, or am I gonna end up going to a smith?
The rear should be accessible from the “top” of the receiver after removing the bolt.
Put a couple drops of Kroil on it and let it sit at least overnight.
The front will have to be oiled from the underside, I’d use a couple drops and let it sit a couple days.
Repeat a few times.

Rushing this can result in a busted off action screw.

After allowing the Kroil to soak use the correct hollow ground screwdriver bit in a 1/4” drive ratchet if need be.
It it breaks free but is still stiff oil and soak again.

Also, remove the capture screws entirely, some are oversized and may be locking the action screws when it looks like they are not.

If worse comes to worse, after sufficient piling of the screws, an impact driver may be required.
I have a 1/4” drive one that is handy for these jobs.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 02:48 PM
ajole ajole is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,025
Thanks: 7,024
Thanked 19,934 Times in 6,437 Posts
Default

Like Israel said.....Use the right size of screwdriver.

And use plenty of oil, and be patient.
Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net