I lucked into a Mauser yesterday/last week. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Evaluating Trump's 1st Week PeterEnergy Polls and Surveys 32 03-02-2017 02:44 PM
Trumps first week: 14 Executive Actions Mr. Sockpuppet Political News and Discussion 26 01-29-2017 08:36 AM
BLM week of action in Philadelphia schools Gva General Discussion 8 01-16-2017 12:48 AM

Old 05-16-2019, 10:46 AM
Retired Army

Thanked 15,547 Times in 3,623 Posts
Default I lucked into a Mauser yesterday/last week.

Advertise Here

Last weekend we were all in Terre Haute, IN to see my son graduate from ISU. Before we left, we (I) decided to stop in and see the new Top Guns store. It was a tiny shop last time I was in there. My father-in-law found a 20 G Stevens hes been looking for, but didn't have the cash. I offered to buy it for him if he gave me his Mauser. No deal, but he offered me his other 9mm handgun.

I went ahead and bought it for him, even though he couldn't remember what kind of handgun it was. Wonderful gentleman, who has helped us a lot in the past. Got home... Turns out he had sold the other 9mm. (His memory isn't so great these days as he's in his 70s.) Went to range yesterday to shoot, and after one round of the Mauser... he said "That's it." I got the Mauser.

He's had it for years, but never fired it. Supposedly, it was a bring back he got from his uncle "Unkie" who fought it Italy during WWII. However, doing some research, I find it's a Brazilian model 1908. I remember Unkie saying he got it in Italy, but he was old. This was just before he passed about 5 or 6 years ago.

The good news is it's numbers matching. Bolt, barrel, floorplate, and stock all match the receiver.

The bad news is it's pretty rough. The wood has a lot of little dings in it, and the crest is kinda shallow. The receiver, being in the white for over 100 years is kind rough. There is no bayonet, or sling, and I can't get the cleaning rod pulled out. I haven't disassembled it to clean it yet.

The good news is there's no rust or pitting, and it shoots well. All that dust must have been like a protective layer.

Not a fan of the sights. It's very hard to shoot with that tiny v-notch and my bad eyes. I may end up putting a peep sight on it, but not sure yet. The only other surplus bolt gun I ever had was a #4 MK 1, and it had peep sights on it. That 29" barrel is something else too. Getting real used to all the modern guns with their shorter barrels. Lol.

Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 11:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,237 Times in 1,856 Posts

Nice rifle. I just sporterized a parts rifle. had it been a good military rifle I would have left it alone but it was just a barreled action. Now it wears a scope and will fit behind the truck seat. 30-06 is a good round, I plan to shoot cast projectiles in mine. I have a fondness for mausers, both military and sporterized.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 12:33 PM
Target Shooter

I wouldn't be upset at that deal. IMHO you done good.

RR
The Following User Says Thank You to Reasonable Rascal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 12:40 PM
Hunter/Survivor

The only thing bad about owning a Mauser rifle is that you will end up wanting a second....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bluesman60 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 12:41 PM
Trapper

Everyone single one I ever bought had pitting under the wood. So I just pass them up at shows and stores now. And many sellers wont let you look or take it apart to check. I bought one that was so bad I couldn't shoot it after seeing the pits.
But thats just me, I know they are good guns and wish I had one without that kind of damage.
I also just saw that Brazil still has some in use for home guard and police.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lost Woods Survival For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 12:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,335 Times in 788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
Nice rifle. I just sporterized a parts rifle. had it been a good military rifle I would have left it alone but it was just a barreled action. Now it wears a scope and will fit behind the truck seat. 30-06 is a good round, I plan to shoot cast projectiles in mine. I have a fondness for mausers, both military and sporterized.
The 30-06 is an excellent round. It's one of my favorites.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,335 Times in 788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
Last weekend we were all in Terre Haute, IN to see my son graduate from ISU. Before we left, we (I) decided to stop in and see the new Top Guns store. It was a tiny shop last time I was in there. My father-in-law found a 20 G Stevens hes been looking for, but didn't have the cash. I offered to buy it for him if he gave me his Mauser. No deal, but he offered me his other 9mm handgun.

I went ahead and bought it for him, even though he couldn't remember what kind of handgun it was. Wonderful gentleman, who has helped us a lot in the past. Got home... Turns out he had sold the other 9mm. (His memory isn't so great these days as he's in his 70s.) Went to range yesterday to shoot, and after one round of the Mauser... he said "That's it." I got the Mauser.

He's had it for years, but never fired it. Supposedly, it was a bring back he got from his uncle "Unkie" who fought it Italy during WWII. However, doing some research, I find it's a Brazilian model 1908. I remember Unkie saying he got it in Italy, but he was old. This was just before he passed about 5 or 6 years ago.

The good news is it's numbers matching. Bolt, barrel, floorplate, and stock all match the receiver.

The bad news is it's pretty rough. The wood has a lot of little dings in it, and the crest is kinda shallow. The receiver, being in the white for over 100 years is kind rough. There is no bayonet, or sling, and I can't get the cleaning rod pulled out. I haven't disassembled it to clean it yet.

The good news is there's no rust or pitting, and it shoots well. All that dust must have been like a protective layer.

Not a fan of the sights. It's very hard to shoot with that tiny v-notch and my bad eyes. I may end up putting a peep sight on it, but not sure yet. The only other surplus bolt gun I ever had was a #4 MK 1, and it had peep sights on it. That 29" barrel is something else too. Getting real used to all the modern guns with their shorter barrels. Lol.

I had an argentine of about that same vintage but in 7.65x53 mauser. That action is as smooth as glass. A real pleasure to cycle. I always thought I'd like to have the 1908 brazilian in the 7x57 mauser cartridge. That's a wonderful cartridge.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dutchmano1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 12:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,041 Times in 2,805 Posts

Congrats on the addition to your family, it's cool to have the info about how it got here and how you got it.
r I have a Mauser 93 that I enjoy shooting out to 200 yards and nailing the steel target next to a guy with a modern rifle/scope, 7X57 Mauser is also a good round to reload within reason with lots of bullet choices. If your thinking about building a rifle based on the action, keeping it as a 7x57 with a new barrel would make a good hunting round or a .257 Roberts barrel for targets and hunting. I'd keep it as is, the Mauser has lots of character.

IIRC: they were produced until WW1 began, DWM had good quality control and built good rifles.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalifornia Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 01:03 PM
Retired Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalifornia Guy View Post
Congrats on the addition to your family, it's cool to have the info about how it got here and how you got it.
r I have a Mauser 93 that I enjoy shooting out to 200 yards and nailing the steel target next to a guy with a modern rifle/scope, 7X57 Mauser is also a good round to reload within reason with lots of bullet choices. If your thinking about building a rifle based on the action, keeping it as a 7x57 with a new barrel would make a good hunting round or a .257 Roberts barrel for targets and hunting. I'd keep it as is, the Mauser has lots of character.

IIRC: they were produced until WW1 began, DWM had good quality control and built good rifles.
That's what I'm finding out. I never thought much on the caliber, but after shooting it, I can say it's pretty smooth. Way less kick that my .308 Axis I traded off to my boy over the winter. I don't reload, but there is ammo out there. Maybe not the best ammo, unless you pay dearly for it, but there is some out there. I'll keep it 7mm for sure. Need more range time with it to determine if I'll sink money into it or not. For sure I want better sights. My eyes suck... Gonna put some hi-viz stuff on the front sight post for the next time, see if that helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 03:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,934 Times in 6,437 Posts

I like the 7mm Mauser, got a Chilean and a Spanish.

They aren't making them, but the Lee Loader used to be made for the 7mm Mauser, that would let you reload pretty easily. But at the prices I see for used 7mm Mauser Loaders, you could buy the basic press and dies, and be ahead of things.

They are simple to reload, so don't be afraid to start a new hobby!
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 02:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,026 Times in 1,884 Posts

PRVI is decent ammunition. Graf sells it for under $16 a box. If you refuse to reload, that's about as inexpensive as it gets.
The Following User Says Thank You to steve marshall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 02:47 PM
Hunter/Survivor

FYI, a lot of Mauser knowledge on the K-98 forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluesman60 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 10:26 PM
Retired Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman60 View Post
FYI, a lot of Mauser knowledge on the K-98 forum.
Is that a separate forum? I don't see a category for that here.

I can't take it down to check/clean it. The action screws just will not budge. Any ideas, or am I gonna end up going to a smith?
Old 05-18-2019, 12:03 AM
Hunter/Survivor

K-98 Forum is a separate online forum that I joined when I bought my K-98. Those Mauser Gewehr folks really know their stuff on all models and years...
Old 05-18-2019, 02:08 AM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,464 Times in 5,588 Posts

Very nice! Good job on making sure a rifle with history like that is kept in the family. I hope your kids appreciate it some day.

And yeah, sounds like a great time to start reloading!

Old 05-18-2019, 02:24 PM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Thanked 11,244 Times in 4,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
Is that a separate forum? I don't see a category for that here.

I can't take it down to check/clean it. The action screws just will not budge. Any ideas, or am I gonna end up going to a smith?
The rear should be accessible from the “top” of the receiver after removing the bolt.
Put a couple drops of Kroil on it and let it sit at least overnight.
The front will have to be oiled from the underside, I’d use a couple drops and let it sit a couple days.
Repeat a few times.

Rushing this can result in a busted off action screw.

After allowing the Kroil to soak use the correct hollow ground screwdriver bit in a 1/4” drive ratchet if need be.
It it breaks free but is still stiff oil and soak again.

Also, remove the capture screws entirely, some are oversized and may be locking the action screws when it looks like they are not.

If worse comes to worse, after sufficient piling of the screws, an impact driver may be required.
I have a 1/4” drive one that is handy for these jobs.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,934 Times in 6,437 Posts

Like Israel said.....Use the right size of screwdriver.

And use plenty of oil, and be patient.