Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice needed--fighting an outrageous hospital charge zooeyhll General Discussion 69 02-04-2019 04:33 AM
Chevy S10 Blazer pakrat13 Vehicles & Transportation 11 10-20-2018 09:22 PM
2000 Chevy 1500 Suburban 4x4 falconbrother Vehicles & Transportation 39 02-14-2018 12:00 AM
Blazer or Wolf 9mm? kev Pistol and Revolver Forum 22 03-03-2017 03:16 AM
Blazer Brass 9mm 124gr 50rd Box (5201) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 01-30-2017 08:36 AM

Old 05-05-2019, 07:26 PM

Default Need advice on 2000 Chevy Blazer

Advertise Here

I am looking at buying a 2000 4WD V6 Chevy Blazer with 90000 miles. The Blazer has been taken care of and is in great condition for age. The previous has had a 2 inch lift kit installed.

The tires are new, no rust on the body, the paint doesn't have any chips or pealing. The interior is pristine, no cracks in the dash or rips in the seats. For the age it is in excellent shape.

I don't know much about the Blazer line. Are there any issues to be on the look out for or any known problems with that year.? This vehicle will not be a daily driver. I am buying it as a bugout vehicle and a general 4WD for when it snows, and use it for camping a few times a year.

I am not a mechanic or much of car guy. I can do basic maintenance (oil changes, belts, batteries, etc). I'm trying to avoid a basket case. I understand the Blazer is 19 years old and will have some age related repairs to make. Any recommendations on what to look for on the vehicle or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2019, 07:36 PM
Target Shooter

ABS lights are common on that era GM truck/suv from the hub assemblies and abs wheel speed sensors. Blower motor resistors and gauge cluster issues are also fairly common. Intake manifold gaskets and fuel pumps are less common, but not unheard of as well. From the sounds of things I don't think you'd have any trouble tackling what will probably pop up from time to time to keep it on the road. The build quality inside is suspect at best, but the drivetrain itself is pretty stout.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,127 Times in 769 Posts

Engine work kind of sucks to do on it, but nothing is impossible.

Leaking fuel pressure regulator is probably the most common problem. Can be tricky to diagnose if your not familiar with them.

They are tough for what they are, I wouldn't shy away from one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 08:05 PM
prepared for life & death

Thanked 4,174 Times in 1,541 Posts

That should be the Vortec motor and just like the V8 counterpart the intake gaskets are prone to leak. And as mentioned fuel regulator issues but I have personally done more intake gaskets. Other than that it is the same old GM 4.3 V6 motor that is pretty well solid. Should have a 4L60 trans and it overall is a tried and proven transmission.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:41 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,644 Times in 767 Posts

I had a 2000 ZR2 and other than pretty bad gas mileage, especially in town, it was a solid truck. Only problem I had was the alternator, but I found a rebuild kit in Ebay and changing the brushes, bearings and rectifier was simple.
I sold mine because getting camping equipment into and out of it was a pain, so I always used my truck instead. If I could find one with no rust and low miles I wouldn't have any problem buying it if I needed an SUV.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:37 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,242 Times in 677 Posts

No rust on the body dosnt mean crap if the underside looks like it was next to the Titanic. I have seen other GM vehicles like this.
Was it plowed with? If it ever was walk away, you will go broke trying to repair all the rust.

Engine bays are totaly cramped with those vehicles. My father owns the s10 version. They are reliable and parts are cheap for most GM stuff.

Since your not a mechanic i suggest you have it looked at BEFORE THE SALE!
The Following User Says Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 07:25 PM
HMFIC

Thanked 1,626 Times in 616 Posts

https://www.s10forum.com/forum/forum.php

go there for more info than you'll ever need.

Fuel pumps are absolutely known for going in the V6 models. They're good, solid trucks. Considering you don't plan on putting alot of miles on it, regular light use and maintenance should make it last another 20 years.