Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A lesson on CHEAP knives - Frost cutlery WolfSpring Knives, Swords & Axes 62 08-16-2019 08:49 PM
TEOTWAWKI knives Jim from 28DaysLater Knives, Swords & Axes 84 08-16-2019 08:32 PM
What are your EDC knives kev Knives, Swords & Axes 82 07-16-2019 03:41 PM
Mower bed knives for kitchen knives Cowboypapa Knives, Swords & Axes 3 01-01-2019 01:03 AM
Sam Wilson knives Mattsn Knives, Swords & Axes 12 12-10-2016 04:39 PM

Old 02-01-2019, 07:32 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,192 Times in 7,830 Posts
Default MOLLE sheath for folding knives?

Advertise Here

Anyone recommend a MOLLE sheath for folding pocket knives? The goal is to carry a good quality knife on the outside of a backpack.

I want to outfit all of my packs with a knife. The problem is, some of the packs have limited MOLLE webbing. Once you attach a couple of canteens (one on each side), the best MOLLE webbing spots are used up.

I bought several Moraknivs to outfit the packs, but they may have to be carried inside the pack.

The best fixed blade knives I have found so far are the Gerber Strongarm, and Morakniv. But they take up a lot of property on the outside of the pack.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:06 PM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 32,244 Times in 12,210 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Depending on the size of your folding knife I would recommend using a molle single 9mm ammo pouch. I’ve got a Buck Omni Hunter folding knife I’ve kept strapped to my gear for a few years with a pouch just like this one https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F253660466127
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 08:53 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,458 Times in 5,588 Posts

It seems strange because the purpose of a folding knife is so that you can keep it in your pocket. Wondering why you don't go with a fixed blade like the Gerber Strongarm or Ka Bar Mk1, which would both make decent bushcraft knives? EDIT: Oops I just read the rest of your post, doh!

But to answer your question, I agree with JF. Just get a single pistol mag pouch. Its what I use for flashlights and multitools and you can also mount it to your belt if you change your mind: https://www.amazon.com/CONDOR-Single.../dp/B00CZA3C80

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2019, 01:03 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,075 Times in 1,778 Posts

I have three folders that came with MOLLE-capable holsters/sheaths: Benchmade Adamas, KA-BAR Mule and Buck/TOPS CSAR-T. The Benchmade and KA-BAR sheaths are virtually identical, using a snap and velcro, which is similar to what some of the Army-issued Gerber multi-tools come with as well. The CSAR-T sheath has a plastic buckle instead.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:23 PM
Trapper

I bought a cheap "tactical" flashlight for 2 bucks and threw the light away. It came with molle attachment points on the sheath. It was around 3 inches or so, I can fit most of my folders in it. Of you can buy a nice belt loop holster for a knife then get the convert system from loop to molle, just a few pieces of plastic.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,009 Times in 3,715 Posts

Agree with previous advice to just use a MOLLE pistol magazine pouch.

You'll have to estimate whether to use a single stack or double stack pistol mag pouch... dependent upon the size of the folder. Don't forget to take the width of the folded knife into account (not just length & thickness). I've used various pistol mag pouches to carry folding knives all over the world. Typically Tactical Tailor, SPEC-OPS Brand, Aites, HSGI, TAG, or Blue Force Gear. It ain't really rocket science. Any sturdily sewn mag pouch will work as long as it has a robust means of closure.

For a dedicated knife/multitool carrier, I always prefer a pouch utilizing a single PALS (MOLLE) channel. Takes up less real estate and will snug up against any adjacent mounted pouch quite nicely. Like this one...

https://www.tacticaltailor.com/fight...toolpouch.aspx

Regardless of pouch/knife combo, employ a dummy cord (lanyard) for any knife, flashlight, strobe, multitool, etc. carried inside of a small pouch. Especially for a pouch secured to the exterior of a worn pack (out of your direct view). Murphy loves collecting small things floating loosely inside of less than secure pouches. Something I learned across decades of military patrolling, hiking, skiing, climbing, hunting, maritime/airborne ops.

Do so especially with pouches that feature only Velcro closure. If the chosen pouch doesn't feature a positive locking closure (like a Fastex buckle or lift-the-dot snap... plus Velcro), you are just begging to lose the blade while hiking/travelling. You'll sling the pack to the ground at some halt and the knife will eject. Or toss the pack into the trunk of a vehicle and lose the knife that way. Or you'll stumble, take a fall, and the knife sneaks out of the pouch under impact forces. Or you'll bust brush, the knife gets snagged out of the pouch (or the closure flap gets torn open), and you'll move on without realizing the subsequent loss.

Sometimes, even pouches that do close with Fastex buckles have enough uncovered opening (to either side of the closure flap) that a slim item like a folder can escape readily & unnoticed. Even if that folder features a clip.

If you want to retain any small critical item in an external pouch, tie it down to either the pouch or whatever the pouch is attached to (e.g. pack body MOLLE channels).

That lanyard hole somewhere on your typical folder isn't there for decorative purposes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 08:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,360 Times in 2,371 Posts

I have a little bit different set up on one of my FLC's. I have what is sometimes called a saw pouch I don't remember what mine were called but mine are ACU and were new. They look exactly like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/London-Brid...od9U:rk:8:pf:0

The picture does not show it very well but there are 2 rows of molle on both ends. If you can't find a picture that shows it better I can post one tomorrow with the size or answer any questions. There is a hard plastic in the front and back panel so it is rigid and stands up with a Velcro divider inside.

I have an FLC set up for shotgun and I carry waterproof shell boxes in it or I can carry a canteen and some extras. If I take out the pouch divider It fits 2 25 round shell boxes, it doubles for a canteen or whatever. What I like about it is I can attach molle pouches on both ends. The saw pouch itself takes up 4 rows of molle but it lets me move the pouches out where I can get to them much easier and gives me 4 new rows of molle. It fits a double handgun mag or even a radio pouch or 30 round pouch on each side and you can put whatever you want in them.

I just wanted to share another option.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heartlander For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 10:15 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 21,383 Times in 6,757 Posts

Mil/Sup 9MM pistol clip pouches

The Following User Says Thank You to bunkerbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 09:08 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,409 Times in 8,959 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Tactical Tailor Light Fighter Flashlight/Multi-tool/Knife pouch:

https://www.tacticaltailor.com/fight...toolpouch.aspx

Just my opinion.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:45 AM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,458 Times in 5,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post
Regardless of pouch/knife combo, employ a dummy cord (lanyard) for any knife, flashlight, strobe, multitool, etc. carried inside of a small pouch.
I agree and lately I have been trying to get only pouches that have a buckle.

I recently bought a few flashbang pouches that would work great for the OP. The milsurp ones are really cheap on ebay, and I got 3 for like 7 bucks shipped. They're bright, new UCP camo (the gray camo) but I soaked them in some green and brown dye for awhile and they're much less bright.

I got them to keep tourniquets and shears in - works perfectly. But a pocket knife would fit too. So would pistol mags.

The Following User Says Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post: