Conversations with potential buyers ... - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In 2016: 4,000 Guns Retrieved From Buyers AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 12-06-2017 10:00 AM
Recording conversations Uncasnetewatewes Virginia 0 06-01-2017 07:17 PM
Private Gun Sale - Assessing Buyer's Intellectual Capabilities? Javell Firearms General Discussion 69 05-10-2017 08:10 AM
Potential for X class solar flare? mfxman Manmade and Natural Disasters 8 04-04-2017 01:12 PM
FREE lifetime buyers club membership offer expires 10/20 JC Refuge Safecastle 8 10-20-2016 07:26 PM

Old 02-11-2018, 09:34 AM
Prepared

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Selling anything these days is a big pain in the posterior. First you must wade through all the idiots who want to talk about it but have no intention of buying it. Then there are the people who want to negotiate price without even looking at it. Who would buy anything without seeing it? I also love it when they get explicit directions to your house never intending to come out and look at the product. But out of every four or five goofy calls a real buyer comes along.
Actually I do it all the time too many people are offering a $500 or less on something that's worth $1000 there are all too many people that have a $1000 item that they are asking $2000.

Last week my sons were saving up for a console and they were prepared to pay $300 plus tax, I see it on CL for $275 - I'm not going to pay $25 less than new but that's the lowest price I can find. I have 3 short and pleasant emails with the seller I offer him $225 we settle on $230 and he delivers it to my office .

I've done this a number of times with houses, cars, trucks, motorcycles and atv's - most of the time I have a good idea what/who I'm dealing with in short order and 90% I pay what we agreed upon and it's in the condition described.

10 years ago I went and looked at everything and I wasted a lot of time (I always brought cash and most of the time I offered what made sense to me) now my time is too valuable. Today when I sell something and someone wants to see it I make sure they bring cash, I don't get too offended at lowball offers I get irritated by people coming out to look at whatever is being sold it is exactly as described or better and they don't offer or buy.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arizona Tom For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 09:50 AM

There are a lot of dynamics in play here.... I've done a fair amount of horse trading so here is my take on it, but first a story...

I bought an almost new 74 Saab in 75, drove it 9 years & 178000 miles. I advertised it in nickle ads for $1000 or best- no calls, I parked it at the local 7-11 again $1000 or best - no calls so I put it back in nickle ads $2500 firm- the phone rang off the hook and the first guy came over with cash.

That is the only time I've sold something where the buyer didn't try to get a lower price- no matter how low I listed something.

From the sellers perspective there are two or three strategies...
1. List it higher than what you'll take knowing you'll come down (but have a firm line drawn), but don't be too high or nobody will call.

2. List it at going market rate for similar items or for what it IS worth and wait until the right guy comes along... he is out there, its just a matter of time finding him.

3. Price it so low it is an obvious bargain- however the low-ballers will still try to get you down.

Now from the buyers perspective... there are several types here too.

1. The guy needs, wants, has been looking for... that specific item and he is going to buy it if possible. He will still ask you for your lowest price ( this has sort of become standard practice because if you don't ask, then you will never get the better price- some people have more money than they care about an may not ask) but he will quickly relent at the first sign of resistance and pay the asking.

4. This buyer is somewhat interested IF he can get a deal-Maybe he will see how good of a deal just for the heck of it- hes yank'in your chain but just might end up with bragg'in rights etc. He'll probably flip it.

5. Those who try to get it for basically nothing (with their sob story), sight unseen, etc are planning on flipping it for a few extra bucks. Just hang up.

6. There is a tendency these days for a seller to price stuff close to new prices (I've see a lot even priced higher than retail) often higher than it is really worth used. And they seem to see right past the wear and tear and there isn't any exchange or warranty. Most used stuff is really worth less than the advertised asking. OTOH inflation has made $10=the old $1. Buyers know this (and #1) so they immediately try to find out just how low you'll go and use that as a starting point. Waving cash in a sellers face sometimes greases the decision especially if it has been out there a while.

Used cars and gun shows are probably two of the worst offenders when it comes to pricing.

Except for the US and parts of Europe, in most other countries, it is expected to haggle price. There is often 2 or 3 prices- 1-the tourist price, 2-the locals price and 3- the bottom line bargaining price. I once saw it take place in a grocery supermarket in Saudi.

Depending on if you buying or selling you will probably take one of the above strategies with you to the viewing.

Negotiation is often a game, like poker. If you do haggle price, tell stories, get to know each other somewhat and end up getting a good deal, that experience will be remembered for longer than the price paid.

oh... and I have a nice '02 Mercedes 500SL for sale if anyone is interested
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to invalid-IP For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 09:59 AM
Don't start no mess

Thanked 11,904 Times in 3,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Tom View Post
When I sold my civic I looked at the type of vehicles in my area and listed it under what others were listed for ($3000) and I get some idiots email me "give u $1200 CASH" and I can't bring myself to respond in a professional manner so I don't because dealing with the majority of people like that is pure agony.
"I can't bring myself to respond in a professional manner so I don't", is perfect. In my view, negotiation begins with determining who is worth dealing with. Many, a great many even, deserve no response, or to be turned down forthwith in no uncertain terms.

And in my view, email, text, phone are limited. They're tools, certainly, but more often than not they provide the other party with a means of "hiding" from the reality of the deal.

A point that hasn't been noted here is the precarious nature of selling/buying from strangers. One opens oneself up to all manner of craziness when putting wares "out there". Negotiations must take into account the potential for danger.

Showing respect, as noted by Arizona Tom, is always a wise approach. It can get so bad, in fact, that I often decide I'd rather donate an item than trying to sell it and deal with the inevitable wing dings.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Revision For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 10:08 AM
Work in progress

Thanked 1,104 Times in 529 Posts

The last tag/yard/garage/thrift sale (what ever they call them in your area) I will ever have.. I had someone try to talk the price down on something and they were going to send it out of country, wanted to get it below the customs ‘gift limit’... told them to say they paid less for it. Also had someone else try to trade me something they had bought at another sale because mine was in better shape.....had to explain the purpose was to get rid of stuff, not take more in and if I would have considered it, why would I take something in worse shape that I would be stuck with. Someone else decided they didn’t want to pay the price for a group of things priced as a set, so negotiated each piece separately..I made out on that deal, they paid more. Another person tried the “why is it so much...” ($1 for a working toaster). it’s just made of metal and wiring.... must of been my look, the guy just said yeah..ok and handed me the dollar.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NyteOwl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 10:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 27,710 Times in 7,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKII View Post
I had a car for sale and listed on C/L for lets say 2000 (its been awhile) and a guy called and asked if I'd take $1500 cash right now so I agreed. He showed up and then offered me 1200 I said no but I will take 1750. Boy did get pizzed!
Funny and yeah, I've done that too. I set a firm price in the ad and some jack leg shows up and tries to haggle down, and I start raising the price for each of his lower offers. I had one guy say "you aren't doing this right" and I just laughed at him and told him it wasn't for sale,,,to him..

And yes, I've heard most of the stories like I'll pay you half now and the other half when I get paid on Friday. I bought into that once when I was a teen and got screwed, but never again. If they don't have the money, it's not theirs..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 11:33 AM
Crusty Old B*stard

Thanked 2,089 Times in 689 Posts

I used to board horses, but got out of it after having to deal with way too many flaky people who should never have owned horses in the first place. I set the board fee at a price that was fair, covered my costs, and added a small profit. I advertised on a few equestrian websites and included the price in the listings. Even when we had a drought, and the price of hay went through the roof, I kept the price to my customers the same. Probably half of the people who came to inquire about boarding wanted to "negotiate" the price, and quite a few would leave in a huff when I refused. All it would take would be for me to cut the price for one boarder and have the other 35 boarders hear about it and demand the same deal. No thanks. I did try a couple of people who wanted to work off part of their board by cleaning stalls and helping out around the barn. It's hot work in the summer, and cold in the winter. Neither of them lasted a full month.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Harry The Cat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 11:37 AM
I ain't doing that!!

Thanked 12,436 Times in 4,655 Posts

You know, I hadn't considered the donating angle. I need to talk to my tax guy. That might just be the way to go.

So far, today I've had a person tell me I should give him my address and he'll come by and take a look if he feels like it and if he wants to deal with me further he will just knock. Yeah, right. I don't think so.

Oh, and a guy who texted back and forth for a while -- asking questions that he could have had the answer to if he'd read the ad. Finally said he didn't think it was worth more than $500. Lol I asked him how he knew that if he hadn't even seen or driven the car. He texted back "because women are stupid about car stuff." I told him that I'd just gotten an offer from another guy for asking price so it was no longer for sale. He blew a gasket! Lmao! (If y'all don't hear from me 3 days in a row, call the authorities cuz I'm fish food at the lake!

I dunno how people who have garage sales manage not to shoot half the people who show up. Haha! Honestly, this whole thing is just turning into a grand adventure.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 11:48 AM
Prepared

I was chased out of a market in Manila for being cheap. They thought I was a tourist and tried to sell to me at the double price. In the Philippines you pay higher for being a Cano(White American), and even higher if your a tourist.
In the town I lived in I usually paid a little more at market and was loyal to the fair sellers so they slowly would bring the prices down over months and give me good deals.
I owned a store in the P.I. and had people try to negotiate the price of a single cigarette.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Measuretwice For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 01:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,036 Posts

I never list my phone number, i give an email address that i use only for buying and selling, i list a general area, never my address. I always meet in town, the police station has a huge almost mall sized parking lot. Never meet after dark.
Father in law had a '29 roadster that he was bored with, built it himself. Original frame and body. The car won a lot of trophies. Asking price was $50k, we settled on $45k through email, lots of detail pictures sent etc.
Guy shows up by himself with no trailer and says he only brought $12k cuz he really didnt want a convertible. Sucks to be him. Then he says he'll give me another $20k if ill deliver it to his house 500 miles away. NOPE. One of the cops was watching all the negotiating and said i was selling it too cheap and asked if id take $55k. He drives it to work all summer long. Now all the cops come out to see what i have when the truck pulls into their parking lot. I post a monthly flyer in their break room now. Got lit up one day so one of them could place a knife order lol.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cowboypapa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 01:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,063 Times in 4,568 Posts

Craigslist. He he he haw haw haw!
Idiots. Just a place for idiots and scammers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 240Geezer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 02:05 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Geezer View Post
Craigslist. He he he haw haw haw!
Idiots. Just a place for idiots and scammers.
And some really good stories!
Old 02-11-2018, 02:08 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboypapa View Post
I never list my phone number, i give an email address that i use only for buying and selling, i list a general area, never my address. I always meet in town, the police station has a huge almost mall sized parking lot. Never meet after dark.
Father in law had a '29 roadster that he was bored with, built it himself. Original frame and body. The car won a lot of trophies. Asking price was $50k, we settled on $45k through email, lots of detail pictures sent etc.
Guy shows up by himself with no trailer and says he only brought $12k cuz he really didnt want a convertible. Sucks to be him. Then he says he'll give me another $20k if ill deliver it to his house 500 miles away. NOPE. One of the cops was watching all the negotiating and said i was selling it too cheap and asked if id take $55k. He drives it to work all summer long. Now all the cops come out to see what i have when the truck pulls into their parking lot. I post a monthly flyer in their break room now. Got lit up one day so one of them could place a knife order lol.
Lmao! I'm amused at the number of folks who think I'm a JBT because of on-line persona. But then that's kinda why I chose it. Stereotypes come in handy if you use them properly.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,500 Times in 1,261 Posts

Put my Harley up for sale on local craigs list.

First day to run the ad was Sat and fone rings first thing about 8 am. Guy says 'you still got it?' Yea...'OK, I am on the way, do not sell it till I get there!'

He shows up and 'Tiny' walks around my bike, looks at me, points and says: "Thats my bike"!

His wife (?) standing there he looks at her and says: "WOMAN, get the money".

Tiny (all 300 lbs of him, with "1%er" tattooed on his upper arm) sits down, leans against the bike, looks at me and says: "she will be back later"

I come out about noon and ask if he wants drink and a sandwich, he says 'No'.

About 5ish or so I see her drive up and I head outside. She walks up to him and hands him a paper bag full of money. There has been NO discussion as to price other than what I had in the ad.

He takes the bag, turns to me and hands to me, I hand him the keys. He has not even ridden or started the bike yet.

He swings that huge leg over the bike and rides off. That is everything that was said the entire day.

I go in the house and count out the money in 1's, 5's, 10's, 20's, 100's, some so wadded up I could barely unroll them. Every dollar is there, full asking price.

About a month later I come home and there is a msg on the answering machine: "You sure built a GREAT bike, THANKS"

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to 17Oaks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 03:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,100 Posts

one guy I worked with wanted to buy a rifle from me and asked if I took payments.

I told him I did and rifle will be delivered after the last payment was made!

He said OK! Gave me some money every pay day and on last payment we went to my place and I transferred the rifle!

He was kind of a friend so I didn't have an issue with doing that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charlie505 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 04:14 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 8,807 Times in 2,623 Posts

I had my father's 05 cherry red Mustang sitting in the drive for a couple of months. Some Somali guy and his son came by and offered $500 for it for the boy to drive to school. Blue books all said it was worth $5000. He kept at me, "Cash, I give you right now. No waiting for check to go through. Come on, I give you cash right now." and he'd flash some bills at me.

As if I'd be so taken with greed at seeing the money that I'd let that car go 4500 dollars cheaper than it should be just to get that money in my hand? I told him no because I knew that teen boy would have it wrecked within a month. Who gives a 16 year old boy a cherry red Mustang?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 04:26 PM

Helped a neighbour installed a new dishwasher and he put his old still useable unit in the street with a sign "FREE" and it sat there for days so I've toid him to change it to another sign stating "For Sale $50.00" OBO" and it was stolen that night. Another way to get rid of your trash guickly without paying for disposal fee.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to choyboy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 04:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 57,063 Times in 18,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
Lmao! I'm amused at the number of folks who think I'm a JBT because of on-line persona. But then that's kinda why I chose it. Stereotypes come in handy if you use them properly.
I figured your old man was.

"Badge bunnies" are cop groupies I thought.

On some of the comments on this page:
I'll always ASK about cheaper prices, cash discounts etc.
Sometimes (like that S&W 317) I'll pay full freight.
Sometimes I'll walk over $5
Just depends
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 06:10 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I figured your old man was.

"Badge bunnies" are cop groupies I thought.

On some of the comments on this page:
I'll always ASK about cheaper prices, cash discounts etc.
Sometimes (like that S&W 317) I'll pay full freight.
Sometimes I'll walk over $5
Just depends
Yep on both counts (old man and me). I thought everyone knew badgebunny was a fairly derogatory term for women who chase the badge or uniform. Imagine my surprise the first time someone asked me what department I worked for. Especially since I'm a biker bitch.
The Following User Says Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 06:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,355 Times in 7,687 Posts

Did you see the King of the Hill where they bought a motorcycle? Pretty funny.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 06:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
I'm not in a big hurry to unload it. Tax refunds are starting to roll in now (we have a friend who owns a tax service) so I figure it won't last much longer. I'm just flabbergasted at the number of folks who think it is MY job to solve THEIR problem. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Probably need to go wander the aisles of Wal-Mart again, for my yearly refresher course.
Welcome to the Brave New World, my dear.

People kill me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh MacArawn For This Useful Post: