Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The self-sufficient in Kenai NectarNook Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 05-31-2014 09:17 PM
Wanting to fish the Kenai River AKpredator Controversial News and Alternative Politics 3 06-08-2010 04:05 PM
This thing in Kenai, Alaska is bold ... Gallo Pazzesco General Discussion 24 03-22-2010 09:24 PM
Hello from Alaska (Kenai Pen) akyoders New Member Introduction 8 12-19-2008 11:37 AM

Old 06-08-2015, 04:49 AM
Hiker

Default Anyone on the Kenai?

Advertise Here

I'm looking to correspond with some folk on the Kenai to get more information. I plan to move to Alaska in either summer of 17 or 18 and I want to narrow down to two or three distinct areas. I'm starting my research on the Kenai. If anyone would be willing to give advice and opinions, I'd be quite grateful.

thanks,
NGH
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2015, 01:08 AM

pm me here or drop me an email [email protected] put SB in the title so it doesn't go spammy! Lifelong Alaskan, born and raised on Kodiak Island and have land in lower Kenai Peninsula (stuck in Anchorage for work)
Old 10-07-2015, 08:49 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,272 Times in 1,636 Posts

What is your question.........??? or questions........???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2015, 09:39 AM
Survivor, so far

Thanked 239,749 Times in 29,292 Posts

Glad your moving up here. Am also glad that you are doing
research rather than just getting off of the plane and then
starting to figure it out. Here is a link to an Alaska specific
site, that takes you direct to "relocating to Alaska".

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ting-to-Alaska
Old 11-23-2015, 04:09 AM
Hiker

So I completely forgot about my post… my apologies. Yes, I am still planning on leaving the lower 48, well actually, leaving Europe since I live in Germany right now. I’m planning on leaving in 2017, but late in the fall. I don’t want to move to Alaska in the winter so I’m thinking that in about June of 2018 we’ll be able to move. I’m looking at the Kenai due to the proximity to fishing and rain water as well as what seems to be cooler summers and warmer winters as compared to inland areas. As well, it provides a road link to Anchorage and the shopping, medical, military etc. I like the idea of being fairly remote, however I don’t want to have to fly to everything. I’d never just get off the plane and try to figure it out. That just doesn’t make sense. In fact, when I move, I won’t get off of a plane at all. We’ll drive up, pulling two trailers of household goods and supplies. We will probably fly up in 2017 to look for property and scout out the areas we think we are interested. Sort of a “working vacation”. After that we have time to buy and plan. We will need a month in OK, to put everything together before we start the drive up. So anyway, am I reading the Kenai correctly weather wise? I’d like to find a place that we can drive to without having to snowmachine in and out every day. But I don’t want to be able to see another house.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:21 AM
Survivor, so far

Thanked 239,749 Times in 29,292 Posts

The Kenai area should work for you. Driving up is good but
you have to travel through Canada. You will need to do some
research on that.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,146 Times in 2,637 Posts

I live in the interior, but I am very familiar with the Kenai. It's a good place for what you are looking for. Finding the perfect place won't be easy. We got a temporary place to stay when we first moved to Alaska and it took about 4 years of looking before we found our perfect place. There is a lot of land in Alaska, but with limited roads, the land with easy road access is limited. Good luck. The drive up the ALCAN highway is an experience. There is a book called The Milepost. If you make the trip you should buy the book about 6 months in advance to help you plan. It will include information about making the drive.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:11 AM
Hiker

I've had copies of the Milepost every year since 2010. Not too worried about the drive up. I won't do it in winter or mud season. If I have to fight the hordes of tourists, so be it. We'll make reservations well in advance, probably a year out. My biggest kick will be figuring out how to get my guns up there. I figure with two big pickups and enclosed trailers, I can get all my household goods and gear up there. Will ship the expensive stuff so the shipper has to cover with insurance. We have some expensive antique furniture and artwork. Just easier to let them deal with it if something gets broken. That's one of the reasons I want to be able to drive to my place fairly easily. We'll figure it out. Right now, it's a matter of deciding on 3 areas to check out... and scheduling a scouting trip in for next summer sometime. After we scout out the area's, then we can start on looking for property. I sort of see this as a 3-4 year process since I have to come from Germany to do any scouting, viewing, or purchasing.

NGH
Old 09-09-2017, 03:01 PM
Prepared

Any update on your progress? I'm in Soldotna if you need any help