Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Whiskey Tango Foxtrot moment... daddyusmaximus General Discussion 26 09-21-2014 03:35 PM
Hey folks... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. OVER? Ben General Discussion 19 02-15-2011 06:10 PM
Packs similar to the Arc'teryx Tango MrNg Reviews and questions 5 08-25-2010 12:26 AM
Tango Mike's Garden tangomike3 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 6 07-13-2010 04:50 AM
Tango Mike Mike, Tango Mike Mike... patrickhenry3 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 02-03-2010 02:40 PM
Assassination policy... MadBob General Discussion 22 08-17-2008 12:08 PM

Old 01-22-2009, 02:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,127 Posts
Post Assassination Tango Anyone?

Advertise Here

Interesting article today about pairing an Ipod Touch with a sniper rifle:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sciencean...Pod-touch.html

Now snipers can dial in a shot solution AND play their favourite motivational tune at the same time.

Donate to help this forum.
www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php

New Solar Powered Backup Generator Provides Instant Electrical Power In Any Outage Or Disaster.
http://images.ultracart.com/aff/E1DE...800/index.html
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 06:09 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,552 Posts

Nice idea. iSnipe lol
Old 01-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Grounded

Thanked 1,500 Times in 685 Posts

I'm shocked any company would go out on a limb like this. All that needs to happen now is for a crime to be committed with this software and it's major lawsuit time!

*Thinks back to the Paladin Press publication "How to be a Hitman"*

That said, I'm glad there's still some balls out there in corporate America. The only thing more important than the second amendment is the first. IPod now has my patronage for supporting both
The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Slayer of Sacred Cows

Nice in one way but worthless in another unless you actualy go out and practice at long distance shooting.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Unseen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabu Khan View Post
Nice in one way but worthless in another unless you actualy go out and practice at long distance shooting.
Well if you read the article, you can see that the main frame of guns are military weapons. This software was designed primarily for snipers, not everyday backyard shooters. They have similar softwares already out, but require a larger and WAY more expensive PDA. Apple is just capitalizing on things as they always do... smart company! They will sell twice as many Ipods now, and then make money off the program downloads as well.

Not trying to thread jack here, but if anyone is interested in programs like this for your home computer, Remington has a ballistics software program that you can download free. Granted it is for Rem ammunition, but most all factory loads are close enough to the same.

http://www.remington.com/products/am...on/ballistics/

Back to the original post tho, for that price ($15), it would be well worth the cost for anyone who owns and IPOD!! The similar software that the military uses on its PDA's can go anywhere from $500 to a couple thousand with the Palm pilot. Of course there is no substitute for actually practicing long range shots, but this is a great help in doing so!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:25 AM

Default iSnipe???

This sounds like a bunch of crap to me. You cannot just attach a ipod to a gun and become a sniper, there is too much involved.

A shooter, and spotter team have to make many adjustments in the field, there are just too many variables out there that can affect a shot. This sounds like something some techy nerd would get into that has never fired a weapon before, and wants to try and get the shot on paper. This is not the future for snipers!
Old 01-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Prepared

Yeah, but it sure would be neat to have as a backup if your spotter is incapacitated for some reason, or if you don't want to have a second body at the location. Data right there in your line of sight.

You WILL see more and more electronics coming into the long distance shooting world. Its coming...get used to it.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:34 AM
"Dolt"

Thanked 3,264 Times in 1,208 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Cool, something new to attach right next to my cup holder !!!

Now all I need is a fan and a hula bobble girl for my rail mount.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocYoung For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillagorilla View Post
Yeah, but it sure would be neat to have as a backup if your spotter is incapacitated for some reason, or if you don't want to have a second body at the location. Data right there in your line of sight.

You WILL see more and more electronics coming into the long distance shooting world. Its coming...get used to it.
The whole thing stinks of a "interest Magnet" to me. Othewise known as a "honeypot".

I won't link to any of it.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Unseen

To all that think it is a joke... it is nothing more than an electronic DOPE book... Instead of figuring it out in your head (or on a calculator) at the range, before a mission, you can make shots on the fly without the math being in your head. I am in no way advocating the use of this in place of knowing your sh*t, but it will be a useful tool for some. It is already employed by the military (in the palm pilot form) and is just another "technological advance". I would much rather have enough knowledge on my weapon and ammo, to compensate for any shot I might take. I study ballistics tables for all of my guns and loads, and have a dope book, and cards for them. I couldn't justify the cost of the Ipod on which this program runs on, so it is out for me.

On another note, programs like this can have 2 affects on long range shooters, it can 1) allow those who try to hunt long range game, to make better, and more well calculated shots. Which in turn leads to less injured animals, and cleaner kills. or 2) allow people who do not belong shooting long range, the "confidence" to attempt long range hunting, and end up wounding more animals because they lack actual skills required! It is a double edge sword...

Technology is coming, some will jump on board, and others (like myself) will try to hold onto traditions, and old school ways of thinking and doing!