Is your BOB/ INCH fully packed, or is some assembly required? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
7-7.5 inch knife with 4.5 inch handle TheWoodsman Knives, Swords & Axes 55 10-17-2016 12:04 PM
How many of you have a bag fully packed for emergencies? Nico Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 166 01-13-2015 02:15 PM
FNH 98802 SCAR 16S 10-Inch Barrel Assembly Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 09-18-2013 11:06 AM
FNH 98804 SCAR 16S 14-Inch Barrel Assembly Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 09-18-2013 11:05 AM
FNH 98814 SCAR 17S 13-Inch Barrel Assembly Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 09-18-2013 11:03 AM
How do I zero a 16 inch Colt 6920 16 inch m4? FloridaState Rifle Forum 11 05-15-2013 07:56 PM
Have you packed a bible in Your BOB? goliath4407 Religious Discussion 30 07-18-2012 11:27 PM
Packed in grease... Afterthefall Military Weapons Forum 27 12-27-2011 09:06 AM
Delton AR-15 18 inch barrel 3/4 inch thick 1fixitman Military Weapons Forum 4 03-19-2011 07:32 AM
11 inch DSA FAL? Ultra reliable sbr wanted... Is the 11 inch FAL effective? FloridaState Military Weapons Forum 67 09-12-2010 07:01 PM

Old 01-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Happy to be here!

Thanked 14,936 Times in 3,555 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 2
Thumbs down Is your BOB/ INCH fully packed, or is some assembly required?

Advertise Here

To be honest, I donít keep my INCH/BOB fully packed. I donít like to keep some of the items, such as sleeping bags, food and weapons magazines packed because packing them has adverse effects one way or the other. They are there and ready, but my BOB/INCH needs some assembly. It would only take a few minutes. I canít imagine a realistic disaster where I would need to bug out TEOTWAWKI style where there wasnít some warning.

My GHB is fully packed in my vehicle, but has no food in it since it won't take me more than a day, max two, to get home so suck it up butter-cup. Long term food storage in my car poses a few challenges that aren't necessary IMHO.

House fires, wild fires, haz-mat spills, ect, call for an entirely different load out IMHO. Iím not grabbing my woods gear, Iím grabbing irreplaceable and high dollar items. Insurance covers the rest and we arenít going into the woods.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WILL For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 12:11 PM

Well as I am still working on mine it probably isn't fully packed either, and won't be. Mine pales compared to some of the ones I see on here and like you I figure there are some things I can just grab and put in that I always have on hand, for me one of those is water bottles.
As I would like to carry my BOB everyday its sort of a GHB/BOB/EDC whatever you want to call it, just kind of has a lot of stuff that may be needed. I have a few more things in my car that I can grab and go so to speak and attach to my pack if TEOTWAWKI comes.

So no, mine isn't completely ready, I would still have to grab a few things and put in there but I have them all ready and available near by. The two things in my car I could probably live without or find along the way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to prepdukes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 12:31 PM
Outlander Territory

Thanked 6,314 Times in 2,469 Posts

I don't have a BOB (but I do have a GHB), I have a BORV which is mostly packed with clothes and kitchen stuff. It does have some dried food that can withstand changing winter temperatures, but a full BO would require me to load food and hook up quickly. I can get it done in under an hour. For me, BO is only going to happen in the event of a fire (either household or wildfire). In the event of a house fire, I'm grabbing the dogs, the cat and documents and getting out. I can still live in my RV on the property. In the event of a wildfire, I will have everything loaded and hooked up if they even hint at a potential evacuation, then I can get out as soon as they say "EVACUATE".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DuneElliot For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 12:38 PM
Renaissance Man

Thanked 18,290 Times in 5,343 Posts

I don't have it packed, but have stuff ready to go into in in a moment's notice. The basics are there, and I have modular grab and go options like totes with food and hygiene supplies, or a shoulder bag full of spare mags if I think I'm going to need lots of ammo. But the bag itself is 90%. Just have to add the sleeping bag (if it's even needed) and some food and water.

I like to take the bob out once a month and do an overnight stay with it just to make sure everything (including my old bones) still works and nothing is missing.

BTW, spring rates decrease through cycling, not from being compressed. There is absolutely no reason not to keep some, if not all your mags fully loaded.

Az
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to azb For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,760 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

My BOB is packed and ready to grab. When I'm on the road, it's in the vehicle with me. It serves as a GHB also.

As for INCH. I have gear packed in totes, numbered by priority. If I have to leave, I start loading with #1 and keep on until I either get them all, or have to bail. Takes me about 20 minutes to load the cargo van fully.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 01:16 PM
Large Caliber Man

Mine is partially ready. I have everything that I need in it except for my firearm and extra ammo. I leave them all in the safe. Mags are loaded, but I would need to put them into my bag. I would actually need about 25 minutes to fully be ready to go though. I have other stuff that would need loaded into my truck, if I can use it, otherwise onto the Game Cart. They are packed and ready, just need loaded up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to huskersox86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 01:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,189 Times in 4,166 Posts

It's 95% ready, I just need to add food, water and meds and I'm ready to go. My dogs BOB has everything in, including bottled water. You can sort of see where my priority is!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 01:25 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 29,271 Times in 8,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL View Post
To be honest, I don’t keep my INCH/BOB fully packed.
Wow. You must turn in your Survivalistboards membership card immediately, and buy two extra VIP memberships.

Quote:
I don’t like to keep some of the items, such as sleeping bags, food and weapons magazines packed because packing them has adverse effects one way or the other. They are there and ready, but my BOB/INCH needs some assembly. It would only take a few minutes. I can’t imagine a realistic disaster where I would need to bug out TEOTWAWKI style where there wasn’t some warning.

My GHB is fully packed in my vehicle, but has no food in it since it won't take me more than a day, max two, to get home so suck it up butter-cup. Long term food storage in my car poses a few challenges that aren't necessary IMHO.

House fires, wild fires, haz-mat spills, ect, call for an entirely different load out IMHO. I’m not grabbing my woods gear, I’m grabbing irreplaceable and high dollar items. Insurance covers the rest and we aren’t going into the woods.
My BOB is packed but that's not really all there is. I also have a food tote for extra food, a duffle bag w/ change of clothing for both of us, there's weapons, ammo, etc.

In honesty, it's hard to envision a scenario where that's all I can grab and go. House fire, maybe I suppose, but that's not a bugout--we'd go stay w/ my relatives a block away.

Purdy Bear started a thread about 18 months ago titled 10-minute Evacuation Challenge. It's just like it sounds like--you have 10 minutes to get out, with whatever you can grab.

That sounds to me more like what you're doing--and it's more or less what I'm doing. In fact, here's my list:

1. Bug Out Bags
2. Put two/four jerry cans of gasoline in Van.
3. Put two/four or more cases of bottled water in Van.
4. Plastic Food box (MREs, canned meats/cheese, etc.)
5. Faraday Cage contents (extra batteries ammo cans)
6. Weapons and Ammo out of Safe.
7. Cash out of Safe
8. Meds
9. Bugout clothing duffle bag
10. Social Security cards, passports, cellphones, drivers licenses (charger for cellphones)
11. Leash, pet food

My wife works on 8 through 11 while I work on the first part of the list. When she's done, she helps me with the rest. This is all predicated on leaving by vehicle, likely our van.

While my BOB is packed and ready to go, it doesn't have a weapon in it (it does have ammo), so it's not truly grab and go, unless you consider a weapon to be superfluous. I don't.

There actually is an official survival guide, but you have to write it yourself - and edit it as the situation changes - and revise it as you learn from your mistakes - and start all over again when things change again. (AceScanner)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 01:27 PM
Hiker

Mine is basicly ready with the exception of the tent, sleeping bag and pad; they're all right there, it's just that the bag is hung over top of my pack. Take less than 2 minutes to lay out my pad, sleepingbag on top,tent at the foot,and roll it up.
Would have to fill water containers too, but could do that on the move, either from plastic bottles or a quick stop at the spring.
The Following User Says Thank You to rezmut For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 02:13 PM
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!

Thanked 1,405 Times in 730 Posts

I'm in the "90% packed" group, by way of "everything I need is in totes". For a suburban bugout, there isn't a whole lot of difference between grabbing a backpack with gear, and grabbing an empty pack and a couple of totes, to load it up outside.

I have emergency kits in the cars that have clothes, food, water and cash, so that would serve as our "BOB". Being a camping enthusiast, I already have the camping / emergency gear packed in totes, and I could get them out of the house in about 1-2 minutes. In the event of a house fire, I would just run straight out of the house and rely on the car kits.

When we get our own house, I may try keeping some bugout-type items in a shed or detached garage. Simple reason being, if there is an incident that requires me to leave in 60 seconds, I would rather not even worry about fetching the packs- I just run out with the family and the clothes on my back, and gear up after the fact. No wrong answers here, as long as your can get to some essentials in an emergency!
The Following User Says Thank You to d3athp3nguin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 02:37 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 11,868 Times in 3,816 Posts

Our BOB's are packed with the exception of drinking water. The water bottles are packed, but they need to be filled with fresh drinking water.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 03:06 PM
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD

Thanked 10,733 Times in 4,033 Posts

Fully packed and other than rotating some of the food or adding some snippet I never touch it...our group aims for full deployment out the door fully equipped in 15 minutes from underwear to door knob...
Old 01-13-2015, 03:35 PM
Hating the new Amerika.

Thanked 6,201 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticCRICKET View Post
Our BOB's are packed with the exception of drinking water. The water bottles are packed, but they need to filled with fresh drinking water.
I am in the same boat. I just can't find a way to keep water safely stored in a canteen. I am also not going to store Datrex water packets. I do have a gallon filter pitcher I always leave full and some bottled water at home.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kfilly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 04:26 PM
أنا لست إرهابيا

Thanked 80,473 Times in 32,263 Posts

Both Jeeps have bags -- two bags next to the front door -- with one large empty one -- for last minute load out --
Old 01-13-2015, 04:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,640 Times in 1,703 Posts

Other than robbing my safe for documents and filling canteens......it's good to go. Keeping sleeping bags rolled up is the only thing that bothers me, but I'd rather have a flat one than none.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 05:20 PM
"This is my Boomstick!"

Thanked 1,334 Times in 732 Posts

My BOB is always evolving and is about 70% full right now.

I need to add a few new items. Some of my old items went into my GHB and I still need to replace them in my BOB.

Medical supplies inside of my BOB are what are lacking the most right now.

GHB is at 100%
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jager78 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 05:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,141 Posts

Yes, the BOB/INCH is where the gear is stored, otherwise it would all just be laying around someplace.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Happy to be here!

Thanked 14,936 Times in 3,555 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfilly View Post
I am in the same boat. I just can't find a way to keep water safely stored in a canteen. I am also not going to store Datrex water packets. I do have a gallon filter pitcher I always leave full and some bottled water at home.
This reply, and others like it threw me. I keep my canteens full & have done so for a year at a time and never had a problem. Does water go bad and I just don't know about it?
The Following User Says Thank You to WILL For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 07:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,755 Times in 2,192 Posts

GHB in both cars ready to go, including a couple of bottle of waters. INCH in bedroom closet ready to except for firearms, ammo and mags but that would take me less than 5 minutes to gather....
The Following User Says Thank You to manisonenmi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 10:15 PM
Hating the new Amerika.

Thanked 6,201 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL View Post
This reply, and others like it threw me. I keep my canteens full & have done so for a year at a time and never had a problem. Does water go bad and I just don't know about it?
I play hockey once a week, and I forget to empty my water bottle after one of my games. The water inside of my water bottle smelled pretty rank after a week. I figured I wouldn't chance that before a bug out. It would be pretty simple/quick to get some water from my fridge. Bottled water is sealed and gets sterilized, but it still has an expiration date for what it's worth. Tap/bottled water will slowly build up bacteria over a period of time. I just prefer not to take any chances with something so simple.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kfilly For This Useful Post: